collapse

ram

Re: Rugby...for those who like odd shaped balls
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 17:50 »
Good match, good effort by the Scots. Handling errors will be one thing to look at for England, but then again, with that tempo. England completely bossed the scrums (and the breakdowns, the mauls rather than the rucks), maybe fatigue, but twas just too lopsided that battle. England, chalk and cheese from last year.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 19:44 »
    Ireland v Wales game was unbelievable! Irish defence absolutely immense, their first half fantastic.  Wales, with all that pressure, should have done better.

Calcutta Cup game was a funny one for me to watch.  Yes, Scotland got thrashed and were never in the game, but the tries from Maitland and Hogg were excellent - yes I'm biased but Hogg at 15 for the Lions for me.  Beattie had a good game, as did Visser, and although not his usual excellent self, Richie Gray was omni-present as always.  England however, I thought were exceptional.  They completely dominated, and even though there were a few errors, they controlled the match from start to finish.  So many good performances - Robshaw, Morgan with ball in hand, Brown's strong running.  Special mention though to 12trees - fantastic debut I thought.  God forbid, England might finally have found a centre who actually knows how to pass a ball.  Twin with Tuilagi when he's fit again and that's potentially something very dangerous...  And finally, Farrell... I thought he had an absolute blinder.  Threatening, probing, fantastic kicking, and THAT pass for the Parling try - jaw dropping.  Looking forward to seeing what the French can come up with tomorrow.

Roll on next week!
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1079
    « Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 23:11 »
    Wales and Ireland looked good for a half each and pretty awful for a half each so it's hard to know where they are. Ireland don't seem to have the depth in all positions that they'll need to win the whole comp. As soon as there's an injury or someone gets tired , the team goes backwards fast. Wales don't seem to have anyone who can spark them at the moment as Shane Williams used to do.

Scotland looked better today than for some time. They clearly carry a threat in the back three and the set pieces are good enough too. Trouble is 9-13 can't hurt anyone at this level - what happened to that scrum-half they unearthed in the Autumn? Back row could cause some damage down the line but lack a true 7.

England encouraged me hugely. Forward power as a means to provide the backs opportunities rather than an end in itself. No evidence of forwards battering up the middle 5 times in a row then getting turned over on the 6th. Likewise, the penalty count was low. Lots of handling errors but that can be easily fixed; playing a brain dead, aimless forward driving game has been harder to erase from the tactical handbook. Ben Youngs looks like a world beater again after going through a long mediocre patch, Ashton looked sharper than for a while too. Farrell has nailed the 10 spot and Morgan the 8. Front row looks solid and locks are a real strength - all except Cole with good ball handling skills. Back row didn't have to content with a decent 7 so looked OK and the centres showed a lot more guile with Twelvetrees in.

The negatives for England: I thought Brown was too indecisive in running back kicked ball although he did well in the line; Goode didn't convince me either. But the biggest problem was the substitutions which disrupted the rhythm and introduced Danny Care whose hair is as annoying as his inability to pass the ball quickly.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 09:17 »
    Captain, I think North has to be that man for Wales, every time he gets the ball, the crowd respond and they need to find a way to get the ball to him in a bit of space as often as possible.  However, am I alone in thinking Cuthbert is pretty hopeless?  Yes he's big and fast, but I've thought for a while that's he crap defensively.  At fault for the first try, and he missed countless tackles in the autumn - for such a big guy, he tackles like a piece of wet tissue paper. 

Re. Scotland scrum half - Pyrgos was on the bench and came on near the end.  Laidlaw has been playing well at 9 in the Pro12 and had a pretty good game I thought.  Kelly Brown to my mind has always been more of a 6 - not sure what has happened to John Barclay  :?

With Goode, I do like him  as a player, but wish he would back himself to run it a bit more as he has great feet, rather than just kicking it.  However, he seems to have developed the tendency to run forward a bit, and then do a little 'hop' - almost a fake sidestep, but then doesn't go through with the sidestep...bit odd, and rather ineffective. 
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #34 on: February 03, 2013, 09:25 »
    Although I'll give Cuthbert a bit of slack for the first try because BOD's skill was out of this world, but Cuthbert was all at sea - either step in and crunch BOD or stay out, trust the inside defender, and then smash your opposite number into touch.  Simples  :)

And if you did drop Goode, who would you bring in instead?  Brown to full back and Strettle on the wing?  Foden back in?   
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #35 on: February 03, 2013, 11:31 »
    Re; Tuilagi  yes missing for just one game,   12_trees is a hell of a player though and probably should have a few caps by now - but better late than never.   

Hopefully Danny Care is starting to grow up and stop acting the big hero,  Telfer can diss him any time he likes but fair play to him yesterday for scoring.

I like Foden for full back.   Armitage is unavailable I think?

• ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #36 on: February 03, 2013, 11:42 »
    Yeah, currently serving an 8 week ban.  Even when available, he and his brother don't exactly seem to be in favour with the new England management.
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #37 on: February 03, 2013, 14:54 »
    Wow. Italy play at the stadio olympico now. i always remember them playing in some weak ass 30 000 seater seria c ground.

That's fantastic. I.really want rugby to keep progressing on an international level.
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #38 on: February 03, 2013, 16:25 »
    Well the Italy - France game is getting very interesting. They would sure deserve it, an inspired performance by them.

20 minutes of do or die for them now.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #39 on: February 03, 2013, 17:02 »
    From a Scottish perspective, bugger.  From a neutral's perspective, what a fantastic performance by Italy - great result for them.  Here's hoping for a French backlash next week against Wales in Paris  :)
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 00:43 »
    30 Quade Coopers would've had a better match than yesterday's.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #41 on: February 04, 2013, 10:02 »
    Captain, I think North has to be that man for Wales, every time he gets the ball, the crowd respond and they need to find a way to get the ball to him in a bit of space as often as possible.  However, am I alone in thinking Cuthbert is pretty hopeless?  Yes he's big and fast, but I've thought for a while that's he crap defensively.  At fault for the first try, and he missed countless tackles in the autumn - for such a big guy, he tackles like a piece of wet tissue paper. 

Re. Scotland scrum half - Pyrgos was on the bench and came on near the end.  Laidlaw has been playing well at 9 in the Pro12 and had a pretty good game I thought.  Kelly Brown to my mind has always been more of a 6 - not sure what has happened to John Barclay  :?

With Goode, I do like him  as a player, but wish he would back himself to run it a bit more as he has great feet, rather than just kicking it.  However, he seems to have developed the tendency to run forward a bit, and then do a little 'hop' - almost a fake sidestep, but then doesn't go through with the sidestep...bit odd, and rather ineffective.
    I agree that big George is electric but it doesn't seem to galvanise his team mates like you would hope or expect. Interesting you should raise the Cuthbert issue but one of Wales' problems seems to me to be a lack of variety in their backline threat. They're all big, very big, from 9 to 14. Where's the elusive runner? the great handler? the mercurial kicker?. France tried this a while ago and found that teams found it pretty easy to nullify that threat especially if given time to train for it.

Laidlaw did fine with not a lot, but I never thought he was going to create any problems or warranted special attention. Fine is probably not good enough when you haven't got anything else outside you. Barclay is injured but managed to lose his place to Ross Rennie last year, who is also injured. Follows a pattern of Scottish players making a big impact initially  but then falling away somewhat. maybe because the other Scottish talent is so sparse that oppositions can give them special treatment once  they realise the threat.

Goode, Foden, Brown, it's a nice problem to have at Fullback but putting one of them on the wing doesn't solve it.

Delon Armitage. Glad he was mentioned because when he broke into the England team, he was simply awesome. He caught everything, glided past players like they weren't really trying and kicked like a howitzer. All he needed to do was learn how to play his position and England would have had someone who made Serge Blanco look a bit clumsy. He was messed about position-wise but he hasn't realised a fraction of his potential and that must be mainly down to attitude. Maybe his time in France will sort him out. Let's hope so, it's tragic to see so much talent go to waste.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 14:57 »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21375047

Exciting times. Big weekend here, whoever comes out victorious in the Ireland V England match will surely have the momentum to going on and possibly win the tournament.

Tuilagi back on the bench now and that will give England a boost. It is also great to see Haskell back in the England set up as he is a quality player and it would be a shame if he was left in the dark.

England: Goode; Ashton, Barritt, Twelvetrees, Brown; Farrell, B Youngs; Marler, T Youngs, Cole, Launchbury, Parling, Haskell, Robshaw, Wood.
    Replacements: Hartley, Wilson, Vunipola, Lawes, Waldrom, Care, Flood, Tuilagi.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 15:11 by froome19 »

sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #43 on: February 08, 2013, 15:05 »
    The England Bench has some quality looking at that.    And I'm glad 12 trees and Barritt continue in the centres.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #44 on: February 08, 2013, 15:05 »
    It wasn't so long ago that I was stood by the touchline at Esher Rugby Club, not 2 miles from my home, watching Joe Marler do things like this:

He was obviously going to be a star even then... but to make the number 1 jersey his own is pretty special.
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #45 on: February 08, 2013, 17:38 »
    It wasn't so long ago that I was stood by the touchline at Esher Rugby Club, not 2 miles from my home, watching Joe Marler do things like this:

He was obviously going to be a star even then... but to make the number 1 jersey his own is pretty special.
    Are you matey with John Inverdale then?
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #46 on: February 08, 2013, 23:13 »
    Matey..? No - he won't buy me a drink, but he's often around on gamedays (when he's not presenting for the BBC, of course), and doesn't hide away. So I'll always say hello. He's a nice bloke, and a top presenter, too.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2013, 18:35 »
    Le coq ups
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #48 on: February 09, 2013, 19:28 »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21345281

Stuart Hogg scored a spectacular solo try against Italy as Scotland secured their record Six Nations win and their first in the tournament for two years.
    Brilliant try.

Highlights:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21394782

And the try:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21390799
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #49 on: February 10, 2013, 09:34 »
    SCOTLAND!!! :win :woohoo :rave  etc.  Ok, yes Italy were poor, but probably the most encouraging Scotland performance I have seen in years.  On current form, no reason why we shouldn't beat France, and even though they won, I think we can beat Wales...  :rolleye

• ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #50 on: February 10, 2013, 10:45 »
    Weird to see Scotland get so many points per opportunity, under Robinson they hardly got any. And what was that change of strip for? It would have been much easier to tell them apart with dark blue shirts and white shorts.

France are unbelievably poor. I've never seen them this useless. They normally improve through the tournament especially with the sun on their backs in Paris; unfortunately their next two fixtures are in Dublin and London. Which makes today's Ireland-England game look like the title, and possibly grand slam, decider. Should be a good one,
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #51 on: February 10, 2013, 11:49 »
    France...what on earth has happened to the side that thrashed Australia in the Autumn?  Fofana is wated on the wing - has to come in to the centres.  Michelak has been useless - Parra and T-D at half back for me.  Other than that, I don't know enough about French rugby to pick the form individuals, but it's hard to imagine them playing that poorly again.  Knowing them, they'll flick the switch and demolish whoever wins this afternoon.

Re. the Scotland kit, isn't there some rule in rugby that it is the home side that wears their change strip in the case of a kit clash?  Hence why Italy were in white last week in Rome.  Seems silly, especially as Scotland 'home' blue would obviously be very different to Italian 'away' white
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #52 on: February 10, 2013, 16:50 »
    Scrappy game but it was Owen Farrel's supremacy with his kicking over O'Gara's and Ireland's errors which in the end gave England the edge.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3851
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #53 on: February 10, 2013, 17:40 »
    wow first time I saw rugby live on tv very nice I was cheering for ireland did not understand a thing though
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

ram

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2013, 17:43 »
    O'Gara's kicking, punts rather than goal kicking, was crap. That England could turn it around post Haskell's sin bin, especially when Eire looked to be gaining. Also top performance by Chris Robshaw.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #55 on: February 10, 2013, 19:28 »
    wow first time I saw rugby live on tv very nice I was cheering for ireland did not understand a thing though

Glad you enjoyed it!  Was definitely one for the purist - awful conditions meant that it was never going to be exciting with lots of tries.  However, what it was, was gritty, determination, and a brilliantly mature performance from a very young and inexperienced England side - (BOD and O'Gara have 250 caps between them, by my calculations England's entire starting 15 = 236). 

Thought Robshaw was excellent - a real captain's performance, certainly when compared to Heaslip.  Surely he has to start for the Lions (and captain...?)  Goode was solid under the high ball and played well I thought.  Was annoyed the 12 trees came off so early, although I guess Lancaster wanted Manu to smash the Irish back as they were starting to get some momentum.  Overall, Ireland were poor - far too many handling errors, even with the weather, but England showed they can win ugly which is something that all good teams need to be able to do.  And although he was not quite as good as last week, is it bad that I have a massive man crush on Owen Farrell...?  He's class, and only going to get better imho   :embarrassed
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #56 on: February 10, 2013, 19:35 »
    if you enjoyed that you'll love rugby. This weekends games were far from exciting ones and today's  was particularly damp in more ways than one.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #57 on: February 10, 2013, 20:07 »
    if you enjoyed that you'll love rugby. This weekends games were far from exciting ones and today's  was particularly damp in more ways than one.

Scotland vs Italy was pretty exciting (although I am biased I suppose) - some very good tries from the Scots for ones viewing pleasure  :)
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Road Captain
    « Reply #58 on: February 10, 2013, 21:11 »
    Scotland vs Italy was pretty exciting (although I am biased I suppose) - some very good tries from the Scots for ones viewing pleasure  :)
    Yeah that game was good,  though a bit too 1 sided for the neutral. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 262
    • Awards: 2014 & 2015 Official Prediction Game ChampReigning TDF Prediction Champ
    « Reply #59 on: February 10, 2013, 21:27 »
    Well I enjoyed the England game, but after watching West Ham today anything was going to be good.
    Robshaw rightley MOTM.
    Wonder if Paddyboy will get Cited (is that the right word) for that stamping incident ?? :-x
    Grand Slam still on  :D
  • ReplyReply

•