collapse

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 108
Re: Rugby...for those who like odd shaped balls
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2013, 21:44 »
Wonder if Paddyboy will get Cited (is that the right word) for that stamping incident ?? :-x
Grand Slam still on  :D

Healey has to be cited imho, that stamp was horrible.  Not a 'clearing a body out the way' rake with the boot, but a full on stamp onto an exposed ankle - could have done serious damage, and should have been carded.

But I also think Farrell should have spent 10 minutes in the bin for when he pulled back the Irish 9 early on when he was chasing through - professional foul at its best/worst!
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

Kvinto

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 141
    « Reply #61 on: February 11, 2013, 08:08 »
    The game was quite OK, the only thing that sucks is that my least favourite team from northern hemisphere (Six Nations only) won. And the decisive (to the final score) six points were conceded while having one player more  :(
  • ReplyReply
  • "Women buy stuff at sales for the same reason men climb mountains - because they're there" (from 'Under the Dome' by Stephen King)

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1118
    « Reply #62 on: February 11, 2013, 09:49 »
    The game was quite OK, the only thing that sucks is that my least favourite team from northern hemisphere (Six Nations only) won. And the decisive (to the final score) six points were conceded while having one player more  :(
    It was strange because England had lost their way but losing a player seemed to give them focus and force them to play the way they needed to to win: controlled, patient, mistake-free, territorial rugby; much like they played in the first half.

The intensity was something else though, with both sides playing as if one defensive lapse would settle the match. One reason why the NH teams always do surprisingly well in World Cups; they're more used to playing at that level of intensity.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2013, 10:07 »
    Though to be fair, the same is true of the tri nations (four nations) matches too. The Wallabies and Boks were eliminated by SH teams last time, and NZ always against the Frogs.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #64 on: February 11, 2013, 10:46 »
    I'm not as conversant with tri-nations rugby over the years but it doesn't seem to be as attritional.

In the 2003 WC, it went to form. England were the best team in the world according to the rankings and most peoples view. Playing on foreign soil made their task harder but they still dominated just about every game despite contriving to almost give it away in the final.

If we take the 2007 WC, as soon as the matches got attritional and intense, the NH teams started winning them. France Vs NZ, England Vs Aus; even the final was nothing like the group game where SA spanked the English - I thought England were unlucky with key decisions in the final.

In 2011 the biggest pre-tournament favourites ever in NZ  (I made that up, I don't know if it's true), almost lost the final to a French team who were pretty ordinary, luckily beating a crap England and a really good Wales.

The point being I suppose, that according to the rankings the three SH giants should be getting to the semis with ease. But they don't. My view is that one of the reasons is that the 6 nations is closer somehow to knock-out, lose and you go home, competition. The SH teams always have a second crack at each other which means the individual match carries less weight. So the NH sides get stuffed in the open free scoring November internationals and the end of (NH) season tours but come right back into it when it gets tight in the World Cup.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2013, 11:29 »
    I'm not as into NH rugby to be honest. Mainly just the southern stuff. I thought that the Sheep showed good bottle in the final last year. McCaw I seem to remember put in a big dig, and Cruden's injury would've been a blow. Carter's been a crock forever and Cruden, especially since then, has been one of the, if not the, top playmakers in Super rugby and internationals.

Wales with Bilbo, Halfpenny and Warburton then might have played a more open match then than France and with the midfield to back row that the Sheep have, that could have worked in their favour.

All conjecture of course. At present though, must say England look far better than I expected, even post the win over NZ.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #66 on: February 11, 2013, 11:44 »
    ...At present though, must say England look far better than I expected, even post the win over NZ.
    I agree. One of the big differences has been the quality of the on-field decision making which has let England down for as long as I can remember. If they game plan didn't work, England lost. Now we're not giving away penalty after penalty, getting caught out by the same tactic repeatedly etc.

Interesting article in Saturday's Guardian which may go some way to explaining why...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/feb/08/stuart-lancaster-england-flops-force

and it relates to cycling too...

This is a more modern, go-ahead England setup than people, as yet, appreciate. Once Matt Parker, formerly British cycling's head of marginal gains – who has recently been hired to be another of Lancaster's go-to men – gets his bike-clips fully under the table it will become even more evident.
    To a greater extent than most other coaches, Lancaster believes that a culture of self-improvement should apply as much to him as to his players. His regular brainstorming sessions with cycling's Dave Brailsford and other sporting experts are not window-dressing but genuine attempts to broaden his mind for the betterment of his squad..
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2013, 12:20 »
    Interesting read that. Would England want to even contemplate leaving the PE teacher for the 2003 World cup winning captain or Robbie Deans? Comparing this to the world cup team, how many basic errors were made then? Especially in breakdowns.

Though Beswick's presence didn't really help the English football team then.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #68 on: February 11, 2013, 13:16 »
    Interesting read that. Would England want to even contemplate leaving the PE teacher for the 2003 World cup winning captain or Robbie Deans? Comparing this to the world cup team, how many basic errors were made then? Especially in breakdowns.

Though Beswick's presence didn't really help the English football team then.
    True, but I know which group of players I'd find it easier to impart new ideas to.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2013, 13:27 »
    Aye, that would stand out as a main reason. Also a time thing maybe; the football team's barely ever together.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain

Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 270
    • Awards: 2017 Vuelta Prediction Champ2017 Worlds Prediction Champ2014 & 2015 Official Prediction Game Champ
    « Reply #71 on: February 14, 2013, 16:39 »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21442144

Healey banned, but back for the Eyetie game.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2013, 09:56 »
    Very open match between the Rebels and the Force. Even Beale's having his moments.

Post Merge: February 15, 2013, 10:06
    Well 2 sin bins had to make a difference. Kingi scores Rebels 27-16
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #73 on: February 16, 2013, 11:04 »
    D'Arcy out for the rest of the 6 nations - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21478769 
    Further blow for the Irish.  BOD to 12 and Earls in at 13?  Or keep Earls on the wing, and bring McFadden into the centres?  Luke Fitzgerald or Andrew Trimble back into the team? 

Out of context and sensationalist journalism? http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/international/joe-marler-england-would-win-the-world-cup-if-it-was-tomorrow-8497132.html

Whilst it is clearly too early to predict things like this, it's not unthinkable by any means.  Strongest team in the northern hemisphere atm, developing into a better all round team than the Aussies, more guile than the Saffa's...

I'll take the rose tinted specs off now   :cool:
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2013, 11:19 »
    Wowzers, a couple of good wins and already world cup talk? Anyway, I'd still think that a full strength Australia, without injuries (which we've not seen for the last couple of years with one or the other always crocked) and minus Quade Cooper and Curtley Beale, is number two.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #75 on: February 16, 2013, 12:38 »
    Why the hate on Quade and Kurtley?  At full strength, they're both in the Aussie starting 15 for me.  I'd have a back line of Genia, Cooper, Barnes, Ashley-Cooper, Ioane, O'Connor, Beale.  That is F.L.A.I.R.   :)

I agree it's far too premature to talk of who's going to win the World Cup, but the signs are undoubtedly promising for England, and their 'journey' is headed in the right direction.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2013, 13:03 »
    Quade Cooper as a playmaker is poor at best imo. The number of errors, in both distribution and kicking, is just far too much for an international and he's also a pr*ck. Berrick Barnes also wasn't perfect, but I think he is better than Quade.

Beale at FB, would rather that Adam Ashley Cooper played there where he usually does rather than being tinkered around. Beale's good enough for super rugby, but he was crap in the four nations.

O'Connor's back (another pr*ck) and playing for the Rebels, and through parts of last year the Wallabies were without Pocock (who was pretty bloody brilliant for the Brumbies today), Genia and Horwill (if he comes back) in the team, with them in it should be a good one. Their current forwards will need experience though.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #78 on: February 20, 2013, 15:43 »
    Several changes for Ireland, including no ROG.  Big call for Kidney, but probably the right one (although I hope Ireland have a shocker and Scotland trounce them at the weekend! :win )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21519953

Scotland the same apart from Cross in for Murray who doesn't play on Sunday due to religious reasons:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21504709
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #79 on: February 22, 2013, 19:06 »
    A really interesting insight into what the coaches get up to on game day: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21526547
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #80 on: February 23, 2013, 18:54 »
    France wooden spoon?
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #81 on: February 23, 2013, 20:35 »
    If the French management are equally inept in the remaining two matches, it's a possibility. Ireland in Dublin will be tough for them but Scotland at home is usually a guaranteed win. I expect the wooden spoon will go to the Italians as usual.

A fantastic result today for England given how poor they were and how bad some of their initial selections were. I thought Lancaster was Mr Common Sense but Lawes at 6? Wood who plays 6 was at 8, Robshaw who plays 6 was at 7 but at 6 was a guy who doesn't play in the back row at all and boy did it show. England also have to sort out their wingers, Brown isn't a winger and Ashton looks like he never played rugby league as his basics are so poor. But somehow England got away with it and live to fight another day and can put right some of these selection issues.

England ended up winning comfortably for a number of reasons, firstly substitutions; England's subs improved them as a team, France's made them much worse. Secondly, fitness; France ran out of steam against Wales and it was no surprise to see them fade today. Thirdly, crucial refereeing decisions went England's way. The French should view that game as a blown opportunity and it must be especially disheartening for the game's best player, Picamole.

• ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2013, 03:16 »
    Desperately disappointing tactics from the Frogs. Michalak for Trihn Duc was understandable as Parra was missing every kick around, but then the others........

Tuilagi's 'try' made them mental, in the bad sense.

Chiefs looked the goods against the Highlanders in the Kiwi conference. End to end stuff. And also good to have Ma'a Nonu back.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #83 on: February 24, 2013, 09:49 »
    What the hell happened to the Italian scrum?  Wales absolutely dismantled them.  Burton was very poor I thought - Orquera should have been brought on when they were chasing the game.

England won whilst playing no where near their best, always the sign of a good team.  It seemed that they were so focussed on 'winning the collisions' that they forgot everything else that they have done well in the first 2 games.  I couldn't work out what Tom Youngs had done to deserve being dropped, and Hartley's performance proved it - thought he had a stinker, and Lawes made the whole selection unbalanced.  Behind the scrum, Farrell had his worst game so far - and I realised is quite a dirty player - which limited England hugely.  As Guscott pointed out at half term, should have scored that try when he chipped over...  Having Tuilagi back makes a big difference in terms of 'go forward' ball, and even though he's not the best defender, he's phenomenal on the attack.  However, without 12trees, the whole backline looked like it was missing a bit of guile and finesse. 

France... I hope PSA gets an absolute roasting in the press.  Within about 2 minutes, Fofana in the centres was making a difference, and his try was superb.  Parra and T-D both played well, and PSA must be the only man who still thinks Michelak deserves game time as an international 10. 

Scotland vs Ireland this afternoon...past experience has taught me never to expect too much from Scotland, even on the back of recent good performances.  It's going to take a monster performance from the pack to nullify the Irish back row, and finger's crossed we get some good quality ball on the front foot...
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 270
    • Awards: 2017 Vuelta Prediction Champ2017 Worlds Prediction Champ2014 & 2015 Official Prediction Game Champ
    « Reply #84 on: February 24, 2013, 11:27 »
    Think we saw a nasty side of Farrell yesterday.
    Robshaw was imense though and Dan Cole was as reliable as ever.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #85 on: February 24, 2013, 16:01 »
    That defied logic... I am almost speechless and have no idea how Scotland managed to win that!  Pulsating game, and thoroughly entertaining to watch.  Ireland butchered 2 try scoring opportunities in the first half, and Jackson missed 3 kicks at goal, but Scotland's defence was absolutely immense.  Only one stat that matters!
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013

Thats awesome.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    Parisse ban reduced - free to face England.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21689889

Absolutely buzzing for this weekend's games.  Scotland vs Wales should be a cracker...so long as Scotland win! 

Post Merge: March 10, 2013, 13:25
    Hopefully two top games today.  Ireland vs France - lots riding on it for both teams coming off the back of defeats.  Ireland need to be far more clinical than they were against Scotland, but it's good to see Jackson get another chance at 10.  Apart from his kicking, I thought he had a good game, and can't wait to see Marshall back in action again.  For France, god only knows what is going on there, and he ain't telling.  Michelak back in at 10 beggars belief in my view, and I doubt PSA will change anything tactically from weeks gone by - meaning the subs will all come on at a pre-arranged point, regardless of how the match is going.  I expect Ireland to win quite comfortably.

Scotland vs Wales has the potential to be a cracker - as it frequently has been in the past.  Heart rooting for Scotland (and we are at home) but I'm a natural pessimist so not that confident.  I do think that Wales are a bit overrated in certain areas, and so I hope we can do one over them.  And to add spice into the mix, a Welsh mate and I have a little bet on the outcome with a forfeit to boot... 

Lots of Lions contests today as well;
    Hogg vs Halfpenny at 15 - the two frontrunner, Halfpenny's solidity vs Hogg's flair
    Cuthbert has gained a lot of press in recent weeks, but is sh*te defensively and so I hope maitland gives him the run around
    Phillips is a leading candidate for 9 (massively overrated in my view) and Laidlaw is an outsider - can he make a case for getting himself on the plane?
    In the 2nd row - MoM Jim Hamilton from last week and Grey will want to get one over the returning Wyn Jones.
    In the back row, the returning Warburton against arguably the player of the tournament so far, Kelly Brown - fast becoming a serious contender for Lions captaincy.

Bring it on!
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 13:25 by Dancing on the Pedals, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    Well, that first game was crap.  Scotland's discipline was absolutely awful.  We fully deserved to get beaten - if 1/2p had remembered his kicking boots, it would have been an absolute hammering.  Full back battle ended roughly honours even - less than a gnat's whisker between the two.  Warburton was immense though - picked his moment to re-discover his form, in front of a watching Gatland.  If he performs like that against England next week, he's the Lions 7.

Post Merge: March 10, 2013, 13:24
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21725446

Warburton's chances just got another boost.   Hooper's a good substitute, but not in Pocock's class.  Good chance for the Lions to get an advantage at the break down.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 13:24 by Dancing on the Pedals, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 126
    Rugby...for those who like odd shaped balls
    « Reply #89 on: March 16, 2013, 18:31 »
    Yo what's going down in Cardiff?

"@BBCSport: Owen Farrell has missed two penalty kicks for England. Momentum with Wales as they drive towards the try line again http://t.co/b7ZXxLgVQm"
  • ReplyReply
  • Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!