Rugby...for those who like odd shaped balls
    « Reply #91 on: March 16, 2013, 19:13 »
    Crayzay! I missed the bulk of it!
  • ReplyReply
  • Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1421
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    Amazing happened, what a game!

Total Welsh commitment and domination, from start to finish.
     Incredible atmosphere: best ever apparently.
     Frenetic pace, the only let up being the blasted farce which is the scrum.
     Joy and huge celebrations in Cardiff, tonight.

Gatland wtf?  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21435112

I guess you got the answer as to what he was really saying, today.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108

I guess you got the answer as to what he was really saying, today.

:cool:
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    Can't argue with Wales being deserving winners, England were absolutely awful and were completely outplayed. 

A bit of a meh 6 nations really, not helped by the weather at all.  Biggest plus I think has been Italy - deserving winners against Ireland and France (who they have in their World Cup group...), and should have beaten England as well.

And based on how I'm feeling this morning, here is my (current) Lions 15 - based o n6 nations performances, so excluding those who have been injured througout, e.g. Lydiate...
    15 - Hogg
    14 - Halfpenny
    13 - Davies
    12 - BOD
    11 - North
    10 - Sexton
    9 - Would like it to be Laidlaw or Murray, but suspect that Phillips will get the nod

8 - Morgan
    7 - Warburton (c)
    6 - Brown
    5 - Evans
    4 - AWJ
    3 - Jones
    2 - Youngs
    1 - Cole

Bench: Hibbard, Vunipola, Healey, Gray (if fit), Wood, Laidlaw/Murray, Burns (a bit left field I know, but want an impact 10 on the bench...), Brown
    So 2/3 Irishman, 3 Englishmen, 2/3 Scots, 7 Welsh...

Centres a real problem position I think, as is 8.  Neither Felatau or Heaslip has stood out this year, and so have picked Morgan on the basis of his display against Scotland.

Discuss...!
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:38 by Dancing on the Pedals »

sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    No complaints with getting taken to the cleaners.

I was clapping Wales with the way they played despite supporting England- particularly in the second half.  Losing narrowly is far worse usually.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    :cool:

Hardest thing about picking a Lion's squad is getting the balance right.
    They hardly ever gel when one nation gets a disproportionate number of
    players.
     The lesson learned from yesterday was that although both sides are very young, Wales had the greater experience playing high octane International rugby.
     Hopefully, yesterday's result won't have too much influence on selection, rather aid in producing a balance.
     Imo, it's essential that some "old heads" get to tour as well.
    I think that an entirely youthful squad could have "implications" off the pitch.
    Maybe Gatland also has reservations in this regard, re-England and their last WC campaign.
    Of course, I'm only speculating, here.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1049
    Well done Wales, good performance from them, England less so. If anything could go wrong, it did starting with the selection of Steve 'I flipping hate the English' Walsh as referee. Missed kicks, missed tackles, missed overlaps, dropped ball all contributed too but when it becomes clear that only one side is going to get pinged at the scrum, the other side can do pretty much as it pleases: driving in virtually at right angles, driving before the put in etc. The Welsh were probably better in the scrum anyway but the refereeing of it impacted whether England were capable of securing any ball. They weren't.

Sour grapes? Probably but I'm usually pretty sanguine and I haven't read a report that alluded to the quality of the refereeing in a positive way.

My Lions team (Squad)? Assuming 37 tour like last time...

15. Halfpenny (Kearney to tour)
    14. Gilroy (Maitland Hogg?)
    13. O'Driscoll (Tuilagi)
    12. Roberts (Davies)
    11. North (Visser)

10. Sexton (Biggar, Farrell)
    9. Phillips (Youngs, Murray)

8. Morgan (Wood)
    7. O'Brian (Tipuric, Warburton)
    6. Robshaw (R. Jones)
    5. Gray (Launchberry)
    4. AW Jones (Ryan)
    3. Jones (Cole)
    2. Hibbard (Best, Youngs)
    1. Jenkins (Vunipola Healy)

Agree with DOTP that centres and No8 are big probs. I can see Farrell getting playing time at 12. I've somehow managed to pick a back row with no Welshmen but it could be all Welsh and no worse. Don't see Hogg getting in as a FB but as a winger maybe? The addition of Tommy Bowe makes the back 3 a lot stronger and maybe there's a place for Cuthbert too.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

Well that was nice. Well played the Welsh. Are the English players still talking of winning the world cup if it were held today?

Was watching the Tahs Brumbies match when Pocock did his ACL, that match had the ref cam too btw. Absolute bastard of an injury. But Genia's back and Berrick Barnes on his way too. Then again, being the Wallabies, they'll have eight in the infirmary next week. And speaking of the Brumbies, they really are looking the goods now.

And the Blues, how thick were they to get rid of Gareth Anscombe to the Chiefs who already have a top half back in Cruden?
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 126
    Rugby...for those who like odd shaped balls
    « Reply #99 on: March 20, 2013, 18:24 »
    "@JeanSmyth: #Toulon owner, Mourad Boudjellal, says that Jonny Wilkinson will tell him within the next 15 days if he'll announce his retirement #rugby"
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    "@PaarlSAfrica: RT @Sport24Rugby: Meningitis setback: Stormers forward SchalkBurger has contracted bacterial meningitis, sidelinin... http://t.co/aDbZMNKQMc"

http://m.news24.com/sport24/Rugby/Super15/Meningitis-setback-for-Burger-20130328
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    Kidney given the boot by Ireland - hardly surprising given their dire 6 nations. 

Interesting read this over breakfast this morning, seems a little ott, but can't argue with the results at Sarries - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/9967907/Paul-Gustard-recruits-pair-of-wolves-to-enliven-Saracens-team-talk.html

"@JeanSmyth: #Toulon owner, Mourad Boudjellal, says that Jonny Wilkinson will tell him within the next 15 days if he'll announce his retirement #rugby"

I think he is set to stay on, but is rumoured to have taken a pay cut. 
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    So, 3 of the 4 Heineken Cup semi final places sorted - Saracens, Munster, Clermont.  Toulon vs Leicester coming up, should be an absolute cracker  :)
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 475

kabloemski

• Road Captain
    "@JeanSmyth: RT @iainpayten: Hearing Drew Mitchell has officially signed with Toulon today. Big loss for Australian rugby."
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    And Jonny resigns - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21980906

6 Nations fixtures for next two years announced, bringing with it a return of Friday night fixtures.  Booooooooo!  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22169516
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 258
    • Awards: 2014 & 2015 Official Prediction Game ChampReigning TDF Prediction Champ
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22318106

Squad selection live on TalkSport at 11am tomorrow..
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    I read Jonny's autobiography recently and what a man he is.
    So determind and unbelievable drive. It is no surprise he is continuing to excel at this stage of his career and considering that the Lions should consist of the best squad of players which the nations can possibly field.. well he should make it merely based on recent performances.

A big shame for Saracens though, a lot of my friends are big Sarrie fans and Allianz Park is just down the road and they have really been on a high in recent seasons and can compete with anyone in Europe. It just wasn't their day against a team filled to the brim with stars.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    Expecting a great deal from the Lions announcement - think there is scope to take lots of exciting and attacking players to Australia.  Have a horrible feeling though that Gatland will stick with what he knows, regardless of the form of others.  We'll see...

As an aside, a player I would love to see tour is Ian Madigan.  A bit of a 'bolter' sure, but has been on fire for Leinster in recent weeks.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1049
    So how did we do...?

LIONS SQUAD

Full-backs: Leigh Halfpenny, Stuart Hogg, Rob Kearney

Wings: Tommy Bowe, Sean Maitland, George North, Alex Cuthbert

Centres: Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, Brian O'Driscoll, Manu Tuilagi

Fly-halves: Owen Farrell, Jonathan Sexton

Scrum-halves: Mike Phillips, Ben Youngs, Conor Murray

Props: Cian Healy, Adam Jones, Dan Cole, Matt Stevens, Mako Vunipola, Gethin Jenkins

Hookers: Dylan Hartley, Richard Hibbard, Tom Youngs

Locks: Alun Wyn Jones, Paul O'Connell, Geoff Parling, Richie Gray, Ian Evans

Back row: Toby Faletau, Jamie Heaslip, Dan Lydiate, Sean O'Brien, Justin Tipuric, Tom Croft, Sam Warburton
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3217
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    2 fly halves? And those two: Baby Owen Farrell and Breakable Jon Sexton.

Gatland is taking a massive risk not bringing Wilkinson along...

Likewise Nathan Hines... has been in awesome form all season long.

There are other questionable decisions in there. I'm wondering whether Gatland is actually secretly an Aussie... :fp
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    Distinctly underwhelming and sadly predictable selection. 
    A few thoughts;
    Hogg - fan of his that I am - not an international 10
    Of the centres, Roberts is the only 12 - and has been sh*te all season long.  Living off past glories/Gatland's Welsh myopia
    2 fly halves - sure as hell going to get a hell of a lot of game time.  Unless Hogg plays there mid week?  Even so, at least one of them is going to be starting and/or benching virtually every game
    No Ben Morgan - a crying shame

Grrr....
  • ReplyReply

• lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 467
    • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
    I think Wilkinson will get called up once his season is over. He said he wanted to do the playoffs with toulon so was unavailable but think he'll be added to the squad when OF or JS pick up a knock in the early games. Otherwise 2 Foy halves is just weird

I find it continually amazing that the lions tour isn't scheduled to accommodate the best league in NH Rugby (which employs some of the best eligible players)
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain

Kvinto

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 141
    Amazing second half, feel so sorry for Clermont, silly mistakes cost them the Cup. Experience won it for Toulon
  • ReplyReply
  • "Women buy stuff at sales for the same reason men climb mountains - because they're there" (from 'Under the Dome' by Stephen King)

lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
    delon armitage is not a nice guy.
    i wouldn't want him in my team.
    be happy, celebrate but there's no lace in the game for disrespecting your fellow professionals, completely uncalled for.
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 258
    • Awards: 2014 & 2015 Official Prediction Game ChampReigning TDF Prediction Champ

Kvinto

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 141
    But his words of course were not aimed at the ref, Hartley simply got misunderstood... ones more  :rolleye 

Seriously, when someone of his record comes up with an excuse like this it reminds me of one lame joke about a man, being accused of stabbing smb. to death, who tried to persuade the jury that it happened by misadventure with: "I was sitting on a stool and peeled potatoes with my knife while he came into the room and approached me in intention to shake hands but the floor was wet and he slipped right in front of me falling exactly on my knife... and so took place another 8 times"

Meanwhile, Clermont managed to mess up whole their season in 8 days...

Edit:

An 11-week ban for Hartley and Rory Best (Ulster) as the replacement.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 18:06 by Kvinto »

kabloemski

• Road Captain
    @Tony_Whelan: 'Classically defined, a Shakespearian tragedy is not misfortune': http://t.co/Bp13McMYkT by @brianmoore666 zing @TulsenTollett #SportMatters

Dylan Hartley's personal tragedy masks serious issue facing game following Premiership final shame

This column has highlighted, at first isolated and now all too common, instances of bad behaviour of players and coaches towards themselves and officials; it has argued that unabated they threaten to harm the game.

On Saturday, the first, portentous, incident was the haranguing of assistant referee Greg Garner by a Leicester water carrier...There followed a sustained berating of the fourth official by coach Richard Cockerill...before the whole West Stand and incited crowd comment...there have been regular incidents and...the rest of the game is angry that it appears he is allowed to do this, and that it works...Indeed, had the Rugby Football Union done something more than send Cockerill and Conor O’Shea of Harlequins a letter for ill-judged comments at the beginning of the season, this might not have happened. If Cockerill escapes without a ban, there will be justifiable uproar.

Professional players should know the laws inside out...referee...Barnes is to be congratulated for taking a stand but had he and his colleague been harder on this growing problem by use of cards or the 10-metre sanction, we might not be here.

This fractiousness was caused, in major part, by yet more inadequate refereeing of the scrum and if Barnes and his elite brethren did not ignore laws and/or selectively apply them, reducing the scrum to a lottery, this tension would not exist.

Classically defined, a Shakespearian tragedy is not misfortune, it is the ineluctable consequences of a character’s flaws; their inability to avoid a disastrous denouement, however they try.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/brianmoore/10081776/Dylan-Hartleys-personal-tragedy-masks-serious-issue-facing-game-following-Premiership-final-shame.html

• ReplyReply

• lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
    almost without fail when there's controversy to be had Dylan Hartley is involved. the guy's record is embarrassing.
    eye gouging, biting, punching, dwarf tossing, the thing with the hotel maid in NZ and this abusing the ref.
    most players in this scenario i'd feel sorry for them, or even give them the benefit of the doubt. there's nothing tragic about this story, one of the least disciplined, least professional players in the game has earned himself another ban.

no sympathy.

also i think best is a better player and so this will strengthen the squad anyway.

• ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Khaos: The Lost Frontier by killswitch
    [April 28, 2017, 22:35]

[April 28, 2017, 22:35]

[April 28, 2017, 22:32]

[April 28, 2017, 22:31]