collapse

Havetts

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 1056
  • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
Yea that performance against Italy was crazy good, we dont get to watch Rugby that often in the Netherlands but when its on and I can watch I try to.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1511
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game

Thought this was worth posting to see if there were any Welsh rugby fans left on the Internet....

In all honesty, this was the worst grand slam performance probably ever. Convincing against no-one, even when 19 points up.

Ireland, Scotland, Wales and France had very little to lose after decent or as expected World Cup performances.

England had it all to prove, for me they proved very little. But I am 100% behind them for next year.

I'm here.

Put it this way, given we had already slipped up in Ireland, in terms of the Grand Slam, I would not have swapped a win last Saturday, for the World Cup win. Besides, look how big a favour it turned out to be.:D
    In the end, the best team deservedly took the title. England, after an pretty ordinary start against Scotland, certainly improved with each game.

I thought Wales were sterile throughout the competition, until Saturday. The runner up spot gained, only because other teams were even worse. To rub it in, they then play almost the whole Italy match in a similar fashion to the last 7 minutes against England.

On a personal note, it was great to see our George grab a try in each match and regain great form, which had sadly seeped away, under the one dimensional Northampton game plan.
     Boy, have I suffered, enduring almost all their matches in the vain hope that he was given a half decent pass at speed.
     That Saturday solo try was a thing of beauty.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 295
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    Yup, we're still here; we're just letting the Saes gloat a little. After all, every dog has their day!
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1066

Thought this was worth posting to see if there were any Welsh rugby fans left on the Internet....

In all honesty, this was the worst grand slam performance probably ever. Convincing against no-one, even when 19 points up.

Ireland, Scotland, Wales and France had very little to lose after decent or as expected World Cup performances.

England had it all to prove, for me they proved very little. But I am 100% behind them for next year.
    I suppose it's one of those glass half empty / half full things but I thought it was one of the most convincing grand slams I've seen. I think you have to go back to the mid 2000s when France and England traded fairly comfortable slams.

England sorted out the 3 glaring problems of the Lancaster era: Competing at rucks, Coping when not dominant in the scrum, On-field decision making. And thus they looked comfortably better than each team they played.

Scotland are becoming a possible victor against the other 5 nations rivals for the first time this millenium. While Italy are slipping much further back, either they're much worse now than they were, or the old 5 nations are forging ahead. Not much evidence to support either proposition so more likely that they're trying to change the way they play to be capable of winning more than the odd match, which in turn leaves them more exposed when better teams turn on the style.

As for Wales, sterile is a better word than I could find. I'm surprised at how much credibility the last few moments of their performance against England has been given, against a team who gave away an interception try, down to 14 men, mentally already in the bar and barring a miracle (and we've seen a few of those from Wales against England), not enough time to lose the game.

Ireland - Still quite good despite the number of absentees which must be encouraging.

France - Better against England than in any recent game and still got stuffed. At home.

• ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    Re: Rugby...for those who like odd shaped balls
    « Reply #244 on: February 10, 2017, 17:07 »
    I'd like to pay my respects to Joost van der Westhuizen, in my view the best scrum half ever to play rugby, who succumbed to Motor Neurone disease at the age of 45.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2017/02/10/joost-van-der-westhuizens-coffin-carried-south-africas-1995/

His finest hour came in the 1995 world cup final where he managed to do what very few others could and that was to stop a rampaging Jonah Lomu.   It adds extra poignancy that both players were diagnosed with terminal illnesses before hitting 40.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #245 on: February 10, 2017, 17:15 »
    I saw the news very shortly after it broke.
    Very sad indeed.
    The finest scrum half I ever saw play, with the possible exception of Gareth Edwards.
  • ReplyReply

• Slapshot

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 273
    « Reply #246 on: February 11, 2017, 09:42 »
    I saw the news very shortly after it broke.
    Very sad indeed.
    The finest scrum half I ever saw play, with the possible exception of Gareth Edwards.

..... and very like the chap above he changed the way scrum halfs played the game, Joost was quite exceptional in every facet of the game. Sadly the image below is the haunting look I see every time I hear about him, taken back in 2012 when Scotland got hammered by South Africa. 

Rest in Peace Joost, bet you and Jonah are having a brilliant game of catch!

• ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 642
    « Reply #247 on: February 11, 2017, 17:26 »
    His finest hour came in the 1995 world cup final where he managed to do what very few others could and that was to stop a rampaging Jonah Lomu.

That is what I'll remember most about him. The way that a scrum half could do what Englands 2nd row couldn't do to Lomu the week before in the semi final
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
     France v Wales ends in a farcical chaos, after 22 minutes, yes.......................22 minutes of stoppage time.
    That's how long it took for France to manage to get over the Wales try line, even though Wales had men in the bin and hookers subbing for second rows.
     During that time, (at 92 minutes) our George got bitten. (Becky will be fuming)
    Wales complained to the ref, Wayne Barnes, who then came out with the most amazingly wtf statement I think I've ever heard from a ref: "There is clearly a bite mark, If he has bitten himself, we will look into it." :S
    Needless to say, no penalty to Wales and 10 minutes later the conversion goes over for a France win.

I wonder what is in store for the final half of the Ireland v England match?
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 642
    France v Wales ends in a farcical chaos, after 22 minutes, yes.......................22 minutes of stoppage time.
    That's how long it took for France to manage to get over the Wales try line, even though Wales had men in the bin and hookers subbing for second rows.
     During that time, (at 92 minutes) our George got bitten. (Becky will be fuming)
    Wales complained to the ref, Wayne Barnes, who then came out with the most amazingly wtf statement I think I've ever heard from a ref: "There is clearly a bite mark, If he has bitten himself, we will look into it." :S
    Needless to say, no penalty to Wales and 10 minutes later the conversion goes over for a France win.

I wonder what is in store for the final half of the Ireland v England match?

It was farcical. I switched over to watch the last (2)5 minutes after the end of MSR. It was just scrum, penalty, scrum, penalty.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 925
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    Going to be one hell of a long tour. Blues are easily the weakest of the NZ sides.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    Going to be one hell of a long tour. Blues are easily the weakest of the NZ sides.
    I know, I know. but I do think that the Lions would have won that 2 out of 3.

Onwards and upwards.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    Let's hope Gatland gets their house in order. I don't think anyone wants to see new Zealand win again. And he should really call up Launchbury, Wasps' leaky defence notwithstanding.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
     Well, beating the best super 12 franchise after losing to the weakest is certainly better than the other way around. :D
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    Super win against the Maori ABs. WTF call ups by Gatland.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by LukasCPH
    [Today at 16:43]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by search
    [Today at 16:41]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by cj2002
    [Today at 16:38]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by LukasCPH
    [Today at 16:36]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by search