collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10466
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
UKADA looking into doping at Linda McCartney Foods.
« on: December 10, 2012, 10:24 »
Insider says drug use was rife among riders in British team

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/cycling/article3625953.ece

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Notable riders

Tom Barras
    Taveb Braikia
    Ben brooks
    Íñigo Cuesta
    Maurizio de Pasquale
    Matt DeCanio
    Scott Guyton
    Gregg Imlah
    Brian Kenneally
    Alan Iacuone
    Martin Lonie
    David McKenzie
    Ciarán Power
    Huw Pritchard
    Mirko Puglioli
    Pascal Richard
    Mark Scanlon
    Max Sciandri
    Spencer Smith
    Matt Stephens
    John Tanner
    Bjørnar Vestøl
    Julian Winn
    Bradley Wiggins
    Charly Wegelius
    Sean Yates

• ReplyReply

• ram

The team disbanded just after Wiggins joined, no?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    The team disbanded just after Wiggins joined, no?

Not sure to be honest

just checked Wiki team shut down 2001 with huge debts he joined 2001 and he was tracked focused so yes time for ending about same time as wiggo´s starting
  • ReplyReply

• ram

Beeb article from the 25th Jan 2001
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/1136391.stm

Jaguar agreed a sponsorship? They pulled out of F1 at the end of 2002 AFAIK.

Sean Yates' name there too.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Beeb article from the 25th Jan 2001
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/1136391.stm

Jaguar agreed a sponsorship? They pulled out of F1 at the end of 2002 AFAIK.

Sean Yates' name there too.

and

Max Sciandri, Charly Wegelius

• ReplyReply

• ram

Aye, but how much was Wegelius' role in that team? Wasn't he just that stagiaiaiare thing? Went straight off to Mapei, no?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Aye, but how much was Wegelius' role in that team? Wasn't he just that stagiaiaiare thing? Went straight off to Mapei, no?

Just  names DSing now that I know off not sure of how long people were involved etc

I do wonder who the insider is "festinagirl suggested Matt DeCanio but to mind he has always been open with his past so not sure it is him.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

Has anyone got/read the full article? How much is the scope of what this said insider says? No point speculating much otherwise. Team in the noughties doped? Well, I never.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Froome has the sunday Times will have to wait and see
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    I remember the great 1 hit wonder David Mckenzie kicking ass for the Giro stage win.      Some reasonable riders but it always looked a shambles as a pro team.   

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 126
    They would need the drugs nuts & seeds wouldn't carry you over ze Alps...
  • ReplyReply
  • Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 710
    • Spring is coming... I hope
      • Fendrien
    Wow. There are some names that are tainted in that roster.

There was a book about the team which was brilliant and exposed a lot of the bad processes that surrounded the team.

I would imagine the management were that focused on the phantom budgets from Jaguar and Jacobs Creek that they would have had no idea about what on earth the riders are doing.

Wiggins did join as it all went under.

The owner had put the two company's logos on the kit without them having agreed to sponsor the team in the hope that seeing their logo in the TDU (IIRC) would inspire them to put the money in. It didn't.
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 612
    Wow. There are some names that are tainted in that roster.

There was a book about the team which was brilliant and exposed a lot of the bad processes that surrounded the team.

I would imagine the management were that focused on the phantom budgets from Jaguar and Jacobs Creek that they would have had no idea about what on earth the riders are doing.

Wiggins did join as it all went under.

The owner had put the two company's logos on the kit without them having agreed to sponsor the team in the hope that seeing their logo in the TDU (IIRC) would inspire them to put the money in. It didn't.

Is the book you are thinking of "Team on the Run"?

Cant remember all of it but I remember it mentioned pulling 2 riders from the Giro (one of whom was Pascal Richard) because of "illness" when they found they'd been using a supplement with banned ingredients in it.

The Sponsorship issue was interestng aswell. Letting Jacobs Creek have the names on the jerseys for the TDU for nothing and striking a sponsorship agreement with a Jag dealer in France who had no authority to enter into an arrangement like that.

Also it came across that Julian Clark was of the, talk big enough and hopefully someone will fall for the bluster when it came to trying to see the team through.

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    The Sponsorship issue was interestng aswell. Letting Jacobs Creek have the names on the jerseys for the TDU for nothing and striking a sponsorship agreement with a Jag dealer in France who had no authority to enter into an arrangement like that.

Also it came across that Julian Clark was of the, talk big enough and hopefully someone will fall for the bluster when it came to trying to see the team through.

I think there was a precedent with Harrods, putting the name up as a tryout without really any substance from Fayed et al. I've just been reading about it in Ellis Bacon's sloppily written book on British cycling.

I was out of the sport but the situation in UK cycling looks to have been pretty desperate back then. Clark's gamble seems ridiculous now but at the time he probably thought he could swing it.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 710
    • Spring is coming... I hope
      • Fendrien
    All of that :)

I seem to remember Exte Ondo losing a bit of cash in the whole fiasco as well.

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    I grew up riding with one of the guys on Linda who's now a DS at NFTO. I'd lost touch with him by then but I think he struggled to get a ride here in Belgium, where he spent some time courtesy of the Dave Rayner Fund, so Linda looked like his big break.

And that's how it was back then: to get a ride as a Brit on the Continent, you had to prove yourself to a much higher level than the locals, possibly moreso than Brits did even in the 80s. Many of our young road pros coming into Europe at that time were world champions in other disciplines, with some exceptions.

So any new team coming out of Britain itself was always going to be gold. Unfortunately, this one turned out to be the gold at the end of the rainbow: you could see it but never quite grab it. A lot of years and pipe dreams had to go by before Sky popped up.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5664
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    I grew up riding with one of the guys on Linda who's now a DS at NFTO.
    No need to be embarrassed about that. ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    No need to be embarrassed about that. ;)

Yeah, Tom was really strong. We didn't always get along but he already seemed like a pro at sixteen; he was really an example for the rest of us. And one of the funniest, classiest guys I knew.

He was forever referred to as the Son of Sid but he didn't seem to mind it that much and he had a lot of good connections through his father. I didn't really know how talented he was because I rarely saw him race but he was successful and I just assumed he would "make it" like Wegelius, who was a big rival of his.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3292
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    see that is just appalling.

they truly do not WANT to catch anyone.  :fp
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1421
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    see that is just appalling.

they truly do not WANT to catch anyone.  :fp

I notice that the headline questions whether or not there is, or has been an investigation; not that there hasn't been one.
    I don't want to pour too much water on the scorn here, but after 15 years the fact, it looks like all we are left with is a 'he said, she said', scenario.
    On the very limited info to hand, there doesn't appear to be any paper trail.
     Given that any statute of limitations ran out long ago, it becomes a question of how much of UKAD's limited resources can be justifiably allocated, with such a limited potential bottom line.

Far from ideal, I grant you.
    However, they have to be realistic, while we can always looks at situations from the idealistic.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    I notice that the headline questions whether or not there is, or has been an investigation; not that there hasn't been one.
    I don't want to pour too much water on the scorn here, but after 15 years the fact, it looks like all we are left with is a 'he said, she said', scenario.
    On the very limited info to hand, there doesn't appear to be any paper trail.
     Given that any statute of limitations ran out long ago, it becomes a question of how much of UKAD's limited resources can be justifiably allocated, with such a limited potential bottom line.

Far from ideal, I grant you.
    However, they have to be realistic, while we can always looks at situations from the idealistic.

all true except they the UKAD said they were going to investigate so now they only have themselves to blame. If they had of said sorry but SOL has passed etc for the start then we would not have re-opened the thread

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3292
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    both good points.

In any case - if new evidence (ie a witness) comes forward ... and it involves people who are still heavily involved in cycling  ... you still investigate.

Information and evidence is the name of the game - you dont stick your head in the sand when it is presented to you
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Via Nicole Cooke evidence at Uk Parliament

• ReplyReply

• riding too slowly

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 179
    UKAD CEO Sapstead - she of the - we don't want to bring out any feel-bad doping stories before the Olympics - quote is to be in front of the Committee on the 22nd Feb.  It will be interesting to hear her explain why they were unable to progress this inquiry. 
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.