collapse

Sauna in Duvel

• Domestic Rider
  • Liked: 83
CX bikes - discs v cantilever or V-brakes
« on: December 12, 2012, 22:01 »
So, i have a little money that might see my 2004 Kona Jake the Snake replaced, but its not going to be sooo much money that it would see with me a hydro-disc setup, which would be good to retard my advanced *ahem* years (weight).

would you stick with Canti's or V's, or opt for cable disc setup. You need to show your working out sums with your answers please!

alternately, any good alternatives to the latest Kona JTS for similar monies?

thanks!
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    Re: CX bikes - discs v cantilever or V-brakes
    « Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 23:00 »
    I love my Jake (basic jake, not snake). Looking at the 2013 Snake, retailing around £1400

The boardman CX pro looks interesting, £1500 with Sram but seems impossible to buy

Next step down for them is the Team edition which actually isnt bad spec at all for £950

Sram/Shimano, 22kg
    http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cx_team.html
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 23:02 »
    on the original question, personally i prefer canti's less hassle, know where i am with them. Disc seem a unneeded distraction
  • ReplyReply

• Sauna in Duvel

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 10:03 »
    Hmm.. I do love discs though!

Maybe I will put some V's on my existing bike for a test.

Also, Bar-top secondary brake levers? any good?

At present my JTS has 2 sets of wheels, 1 with Cross tyres, 1 with road. I also have some race-clip guards and a rack, so its kind of training / CX /utility bike which can be changed pretty quickly.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    Also, Bar-top secondary brake levers? any good?

great for communiting, so you are always prepared for the dickhead that steps out into the road and into your path without looking.. even better when you know they are about to do it and time breaking so perfectly that you make the brakes squeal and stop about 1mm from their leg :D
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6786
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    I would agree with Ki and his mate on all points. That said, just this week I went to cantis from V-brakes.

Now I have a bit less stopping power but the springs in the Vs failed twice and I lost confidence in them. I could have had another set of the same (naff) model under warranty but I just figured I would go with what I already knew and have them pop some cantis on instead.

I'm really happy with them, despite the obvious negatives. I like a nice tight brake and I found the Vs a bit spongy on STI levers. It may be that I should have tried another brand of Vs but this was was a bit cheaper and I'm just like that sometimes. ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 215
    First off, I think for an 'out the door' product it is very difficult to do better than the Kona Jake series.  I still want a Major Jake, I don't need it, I have no need for another bike, but i really like that bike.

Another good choice in the out the door category is the Cannondale.

I think Discs on road or cross bikes are a marketing boondoggle, the power they generate simply overwhelms the small contact patch of the tire, the power just is not needed.  I would argue that the MTB I have with discs is overbraked as well.

Canti's are generally sufficient, though harder to set up.

Mini-V's are easy to set up and provide all of the power you need for a road or cross bike, possibly more than you need, but they will stop you.

My favourites are the Paul centre-pulls but those are a different price point.

Get the TRP mini-V's and see how you like them.
  • ReplyReply

• Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    CX bikes - discs v cantilever or V-brakes
    « Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 16:07 »
    Do you mean:
    TRP - C$200 an end, weigh 160g each and look seriously sexy
    or
    Tektro - C$20 an end,weigh 170g each and look less sexy

(both  of which stop equally well and come out of different doors of the same factory)?

Sorry, yes, the Tektro's not the TRP's.

See what happens when you do this stuff in an airport?
  • ReplyReply

• Sauna in Duvel

• Domestic Rider
    Thank you all for the replies, sorry hadn't checked the thread for a while. I am trying this week to get 2x Kona's to the shop so that I can see which one fits me best. Will run it until the bar-tape gets dirty* and then I will start on the brakes, will probably go to V-brake therefore - obviously discs not an option on the Jake the Snake but Kona now do a 'Rove' for similar money and that has P2 forks and discs.

Choices choices! but I think will stick with V's and get some bar top stoppers as well.

*excuse to meddle with brakes.
  • ReplyReply

• Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    Thank you all for the replies, sorry hadn't checked the thread for a while. I am trying this week to get 2x Kona's to the shop so that I can see which one fits me best. Will run it until the bar-tape gets dirty* and then I will start on the brakes, will probably go to V-brake therefore - obviously discs not an option on the Jake the Snake but Kona now do a 'Rove' for similar money and that has P2 forks and discs.

Choices choices! but I think will stick with V's and get some bar top stoppers as well.

*excuse to meddle with brakes.

Just so you know.  The Kona distributor let me ride the Rove for a couple of days.  It is a really nice bike.  Very good alternate choice.
  • ReplyReply

• Sauna in Duvel

• Domestic Rider

Just so you know.  The Kona distributor let me ride the Rove for a couple of days.  It is a really nice bike.  Very good alternate choice.

Why they can't just stick a few disc tabs on the Jake the Snake I have no idea! So, back to the confusion. Lovely orange Snake, or discs and greenery?

• ReplyReply

• Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    Why they can't just stick a few disc tabs on the Jake the Snake I have no idea! So, back to the confusion. Lovely orange Snake, or discs and greenery?

Just so you know, the Jake come with disc brakes.

• ReplyReply

• Sauna in Duvel

• Domestic Rider
    Bought the Jake the Snake yesterday, in its orange glory. :) It was an ex-demo so got some money off but retained a warranty.

Old JtS was sold to a friend a few weeks ago so that meets with the 'one in one out' policy.

Brakes will be a work in progress over the coming weeks. Thanks again for all the advice / help!
  • ReplyReply

• l29205

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 127
    What  is one in one out policy you speak of??  I don't think I have had just one bike since I was 7 or 8.   :D
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6786
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    My doctor buddy - who apparently studied maths as part of his undergrad - has given the topic of how many bikes make this magical "enough" that people talk of some thought. He has come up with the following formula:

R = n+ 1

where

R = the right number of bikes
    n = however many bikes you have now

:D

So true. I bought a bike last year after 16 years without. And within three months, I'd bought a second one. Now I would like a third one to enable me to ride in a different cycling microgenre.
  • ReplyReply

• Sauna in Duvel

• Domestic Rider
    What  is one in one out policy you speak of??  I don't think I have had just one bike since I was 7 or 8.   :D

When I got to having 11 bikes, my beloved decided that from now on there was a 1 in 1 out policy.

I got around this by buying 'frames, wheels, components' seperately.  :D

Typically I have 3 bikes in my office that I can get on immediately. Another 4 that I can assemble within 30 mins stored away. Then the rest are 'long term' or 'winter bikes' or 'work hacks' etc etc in bits. The other ones are the kids bikes and her bikes, so its probably just over 20 in total. ish.

Right now I have a 'cross bike, road bike and MTB that I can use immediately, they are all relatively modern. In the summer, the retro bikes start appearing when the weather is a little nicer I like 80's road bikes, pre index gearing. This is why v-brakes, discs, STI shifters and so on are all a little alien to me.

So I do kind of side with the R=n+1 theory and at some point soon I will be back in touch with my youth and perhaps get a track bike and do some sessions at a nearby track.  I also want a surly moonlander, just in case it snows or I need to ride on a beach. hmmm..
  • ReplyReply

•