collapse

pastronef

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 553
Re: Mouvement pour un cyclisme crédible (MPCC)
« Reply #210 on: February 23, 2016, 12:14 »
right which isnt any reasons ... just an announcement that they are ending the membership

I agree its pointless - but in an environment where it is seen as condoning PED use ... its a little odd

they write other initiatives being further developed by the official organizations

I think they see it as pointless since there are just a few members of the MPCC, and they will see what the official organizations (UCI) will do.
UCI usually does nothing  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10833
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #211 on: February 23, 2016, 21:09 »
    Katusha also leave
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9558
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #213 on: February 24, 2016, 10:26 »
    Katusha also leave

to avoid a one week self suspension though I guess
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #214 on: February 24, 2016, 11:34 »
    to avoid a one week self suspension though I guess

As pointed out by someone on the internet somewhere, they only joined in the first place to avoid losing their WT licence. The PR stunt paid off, and now that it threatens their participation in actual races, they've chucked it out.

PR-BUSTM: 0%, because it was entirely expected.
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

pastronef

• Road Captain

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #216 on: February 24, 2016, 12:56 »
    I DIDNT KNOW about THAT!

shame on me but, which book is that?  :shh

this  bookI think

From Lance to Landis buy Walsh
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    « Reply #217 on: February 24, 2016, 13:39 »
    this  bookI think

From Lance to Landis buy Walsh

thank you
    I haven't read any cycling/doping related book.
    I will have to sooner or later
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1910
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #218 on: February 24, 2016, 13:45 »
    I haven't read any cycling/doping related book.
    I will have to sooner or later
    How about this one?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6256
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #219 on: February 24, 2016, 14:34 »
    Tweets
    So, in essence, Legeay took amphetamines 40 years ago, and started the Festina scandal.

And? What are we supposed to take from that?
    In my opinion, this is simply Bruyneel throwing his toys because he's not allowed at the party anymore.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1910
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #220 on: February 24, 2016, 14:40 »
    So, in essence, Legeay took amphetamines 40 years ago, and started the Festina scandal.
    Amphetamines...in 1974.  :lol

He probably held onto a car for too long once as well.  :-x

If you have to go back that far, for that substance, and that's all that someone can come up with for dirt. Well then...
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6256
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #221 on: February 24, 2016, 14:42 »
    Amphetamines...in 1974.  :lol

He probably held onto a car for too long once as well.  :-x

If  you have to go back that far, for that substance, and that's all that someone can come up with for dirt. Well then...
    My thoughts exactly.
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 741
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    Dont blaime Johan, he now calls himself a philosopher, so...

• ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 893
    Re:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mpcc-says-katusha-astana-and-lampre-merida-only-joined-out-of-opportunism/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cyclingnews%2Fnews+%28Cyclingnews%3A+News+%29

You know, this all is probably true, but for the MPCC to make this stink about it? Is bad politics, IMO. It makes them sound like little miss (mr) goody-two-shoes down the street. When the image they SHOULD want to be projecting, at its WORST, should be something more like Dudley Doright. Only the bad guys laughed outright at Dudley.
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9558
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Vayer's comment:

(gt)

One of the major cycling problems: The son of Dietrich Thurau (controlled x times positive, dogs are not the cat, who said "We can not play a big Tour without doping" 2007), and Gasparotto, "ex "customer Dr. Ferrari, winner of the Amstel Gold Race this year, were controlled with a plasma cortisol levels below standard. It's the least we can say for Gasparotto who was controlled at 8! to a standard of over 80. They'll start valiant in some days. The use of corticosteroids is authorized under the pretext of inflammation, so that of dope in this extraordinary product, and riders who "play" with the rates and these products are covered by an ipso facto organization set up and paid for it which argues for a health check and knows what is happening. Grotesque hypocrisy.

https://www.facebook.com/ektor.berlioz/posts/10208463561373784
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

pastronef

• Road Captain

hiero

• Road Captain
    Re: Darkside - General news
    « Reply #228 on: October 27, 2016, 22:08 »
    https://www.twitter.com/RiksRedGuard/status/788376361043894273

It does seem to me, that over time (like "now we know why Sky didn't join MPCC") that MPCC will, at least, help us poor benighted sods out in fanland know who are the good guys and who the bad. Maybe. Some, anyway.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    Re: Darkside - General news
    « Reply #229 on: October 27, 2016, 22:27 »
    It does seem to me, that over time (like "now we know why Sky didn't join MPCC") that MPCC will, at least, help us poor benighted sods out in fanland know who are the good guys and who the bad. Maybe. Some, anyway.

but what´s better? NOT joining MPCC at all, or leave MPCC when we dont like or respect their rules? Orica, Lampre, Astana, Katusha...

the only MPCC member with a GT podium are AG2R. good guys, maybe too good (2014 Tour...)  :shh
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    What's better? What's better is that we see that people ARE quitting MPCC - and others not joining - because they don't like the MPCC rules. That means that MPCC is doing something right. By being strict, it has eventually told us who is willing to try and meet the stricter guidelines, and who is not. It doesn't tell us who is violating UCI / WADA regs, but it does give a good idea of who ISN"T violating regs.

And, THAT ALONE is much much better than what we've had for two or three decades. I mean, that was the whole reason the whole doping thing got to be SUCH a scandal, and SO rancorous. Not that ppl were doping, but that so much lying was going on, and it went all the way to the top! So what we have now is so many ppl have no idea of who to believe and who not to believe. The MPCC has given us a metric to judge by - even if it is a small one - I think it is a step in the right direction. And I say that today, based on the HISTORY of MPCC membership and compliance. That is something we did not have a short time ago, when the MPCC was just getting started. Back then, we only had ppl's say-so. And you know how well lthat went over.

Today, the MPCC has a history. And, as near as I can see, that history tells me I can put some faith in them, and there is a FOUNDATION for that faith. Today, we can reasonably have faith that at least some of the peloton is not doping. In ANY way. We can put aside whether Wiggo was "doping" or not - it doesn't really matter for the big picture. What matters for the big picture is that we have a foundation from which we can make judgements and comparisons. The MPCC is providing us a baseline, which is what they said they wanted to do, and history is showing them to be doing what they said they would do.

That is what's better. 
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain

And, THAT ALONE is much much better than what we've had for two or three decades. I mean, that was the whole reason the whole doping thing got to be SUCH a scandal, and SO rancorous. Not that ppl were doping, but that so much lying was going on, and it went all the way to the top! So what we have now is so many ppl have no idea of who to believe and who not to believe. The MPCC has given us a metric to judge by - even if it is a small one - I think it is a step in the right direction. And I say that today, based on the HISTORY of MPCC membership and compliance. That is something we did not have a short time ago, when the MPCC was just getting started. Back then, we only had ppl's say-so. And you know how well lthat went over.

that´s a fair point. personally I dont feel the need to believe or not. for me it´s entertaiment, just like for the hundred thousands people on the roadsides watching races.
    but I understand your point of view, after decades of super fuelled performances.
    what we see, at the end of the day, is always, as you say, the scandal is NOT that people were doping, but that they were lying.
    or "I know the rider I like needs to use super fuel to beat the rider I dont like"
    so the problem is not the doping. it´s how it´s perceived.

when thinking about "doping" I always think about Tyler Hamilton. the good buy. oh dear he´s such a good guy, he couldnt be doping. I remember hearing that during his strong years
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    that´s a fair point. personally I dont feel the need to believe or not. for me it´s entertaiment, just like for the hundred thousands people on the roadsides watching races.
    but I understand your point of view, after decades of super fuelled performances.
    what we see, at the end of the day, is always, as you say, the scandal is NOT that people were doping, but that they were lying.
    or "I know the rider I like needs to use super fuel to beat the rider I dont like"
    so the problem is not the doping. it´s how it´s perceived.

when thinking about "doping" I always think about Tyler Hamilton. the good buy. oh dear he´s such a good guy, he couldnt be doping. I remember hearing that during his strong years

Yeah, I was one of the ppl who had that hope. Floyd was the same for me - after all - its hard to find a stricter background than growing up as a Mennonite.  And I think most people would consider the Mennonites far more honest than your average bear. However, with Floyd I was convinced he was lying pretty quickly - he changed his story shortly after getting caught - and that was a dead give-away.

I don't like the doping at the levels it was at in the 90's and aughts. But I watch MMA on occasion - not often, but every once in a while. And its pretty obvious that quite a lot of those guys are doing steroids. But I can't stand WWE, which is JUST "entertainment", and more rife with steroids than a bodybuilding convention. Well, maybe not THAT bad - but pretty close.

Anyway, AFAIC, the MPCC is giving us reason to believe it when we hear that riders can win clean today - and that at least some riders are clean - maybe even "most" riders. If we stuck in the modifier "relatively" - or working inside UCI / WADA rules, I think we can be pretty confident that "most" applies.
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Posts

Re: 2018 Women's Kits by LukasCPH
    [December 13, 2017, 20:54]

Re: Men's Kits 2018 by LukasCPH
    [December 13, 2017, 20:39]

Re: U23 news, results, rumours and all that jazz by Leadbelly
    [December 13, 2017, 18:14]

Re: Stig Broeckx Recovery Thread by Joelsim