collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 2029
Re: General Cyclocross News
« Reply #180 on: January 25, 2021, 19:25 »
How privileged you are ! I had to miss it.

If I'm well informed, it's the first time Overijse is a World Cup event. The "Druivencross" ("Grape cross")[1] is most probably the most prestigious of them all in Belgium. In the eighties, its organisers were the driving force behind the creation of the Superprestige which it remained a part of till 2000/2001. From then on, Overijse was known as a lone cross ("een losse cross" they say in Dutch) until yesterday. Still in the noughties, it remained one of the most coveted of all crosses. The one that the top guns really wanted to win. Besides, I think they organised a sort of special challenge, a huge money award for any riders to win 3 times in 5 years or something of the kind. To my knowledge no rider won that special trophy. Nys won three in a row from 2011 to 2013 but I guess that challenge was scrapped by that time. Besides, by the turn of the decade, the regular challenges - World Cup, Superprestige and GvA Trophy (X²O now) - were really growing in importance and top riders started to skip Overijse, every year. So now perhaps, it was necessary to be a part of a regular challenge again but I did like the idea of a cross being so prestigious to stand alone and keep its prestige.

It would be interesting to see how these riders recover for the Worlds. Until the mid-noughties, the final World Cup event, one week before the Worlds was Wetzikon, Switzerland. I wish I could've seen that because it was a very heavy route and a real classic, remnant of the era when Swiss dominated the sport. Back then there was a saying. He who wins Wetzikon and went all out for it would never recover for the Worlds because the route was so hard. Then, the final World Cup events was set on plan fat routes in the Netherlands, in Pijnacker in 2004 and in Hoogerheide in 2006 (occasionally also in some other places, Milan or Lanarvily but all of these were relatively flat). So it was easier to recover from that. Now Overijse is known as a Swiss like, mountainbike-like route. So let's see how these boys recover. 

Oh and so eventually, Aru won't race the Worlds but Stybar will : https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/stybar-to-ride-cyclo-cross-worlds/
 1. Overijse is known as a grape place It's just 2k away from where I live  ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 19:36 by Echoes »
    "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)