collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1067
Re: General Cyclocross News
« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2016, 23:55 »

Jappe Jaspers will turn pro on 1 January with the new team led by Nick Nuyens with Niels Albert as cross coach and with Crelan as main sponsor. So says the regional extra of the Gazet van Antwerpen on this Monday.

Thereby Jaspers becomes the youngest ever pro cyclocrosser, at age 18 and 4 months. With Wout Van Aert, Tim Merlier, Stan Godrie, they will form a cyclocross quartet in this cross/road team. He’ll remain active in the U23 ranks, the nats aside and will keep on carrying out his study in photography.

Jaspers showed his climb talent in a 3-day race in Germany. Nick Nuyens sees more in him than just a crosser.
He finds it rather boring the turn along in a peloton

but with the pros I will get enough distraction. Go and fetch bidons, racing at the front of the peloton and more of those things.  That means to me. I’ll gladly execute what is expected of me. Though in the first place, it’s still the idea to grow up in this job
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #151 on: November 03, 2016, 15:36 »
    I remember having already read an article about Jappe Jaspers it was on 25 October in the Gazet van Antwerpen but I didn't have time to post it.

At the Niels Albert Cross in Boom, Jappe was 10th, racing witth the pros and thereby grabbing his very first UCI point while he's just starting to digest the transition towards the U23

This sole UCI point makes a gigantic difference for me because I can now start with a better position on the line.  In the youth category, I usually set it myself. This can mean a big step forward. At the start I had trouble with the tempo.  Now it's imposed upon me by older riders who also  had a better prep on the road. On the road I still raced with the juniors. They already raced with the U23.

In Gieten, Ronse and Zonhoven Jappe was twice 2nd U23 year #1 and once first.

His next objective was a selection for World Cup events and for the Euro championship [that failed, I think?] and he hopes to be selected for Zolder because then a dual selection may be sent.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #152 on: November 04, 2016, 15:40 »

Yesterday's Het Laatste Nieuws & De Morgen

Mathieu Van der Poel had an offday on All Saints Day for the Koppenberg Cross, something that he cannot understand. He was not sick nor injured but he doesn't worry for the rest of the season. The day after the race was a recup day like any other recuperation day: loosely riding in am, a nap after lunch and then consulting the kinesist.

He thought that he might not have recovered from the trip from Pontchateau but knows that that cannot be a logical explanation. He was with the Belgians on the plane and they had no trouble with that trip. He doesn't go further than "maybe a bit exhausted".

He doesn't even believe that his cut short summer preparation ma have an influence on this off-day

Because so far I consistently performed. If my basis was not large enough I would have had more ups and downs. I understand people's surprise because I don't get it either. It rarely occurs to me, such an off-day. It wasn't fun but I've decided not to break my mind about it. The coming weekend we shall see if there's something wrong with but right now I start from the assumption that everything is okay and that I soon can get my normal level back.

Only ...

(In Gazet van Antwerpen)

Both Wout Van Aert and Mathieu Van der Poel pulled out of the Schelde Cross in Antwerp, next Saturday. They are both still scheduled to race Ruddervoorde though. After Ruddervoorde Wout is going on holiday in Spain for a week in order to recuperate for the rest of the season and thereby will miss Niel (traditionally held on Armistice Day 11/11) and Hasselt on 11/19. None of them are ranked events.

Wout would like to show his rainbow jersey but we should beware of overdoing. He also wants to be fit for the Worlds late January and that's why it's wise to fill in some gas back.

says his manager Jan Verstraeten. His trainer also feared he raced too much. See the thread dedicated to him.

Mathieu also pulls out of Niel but races Ruddervoorde and he stays in Belgium.

Due to his knee injuries Mathieu didn't have an ideal preparation for this cross season and shouldn't ... [cannot translate]. The season is still long enough.

says Adrie.

Lars Van der Haar also pulls out of Sint-Niklaas. Toon Aerts, Laurens Sweeck, Tom Meeusen, Kevin Pauwels, Klaas Vantornout and Michael Vanthourenhout are present though.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #153 on: November 04, 2016, 16:14 »

[cannot translate]

"Shouldn't run past himself" literally, meaning he shouldn't do more than his body can handle. Which seems wise.

It's too bad for those events, but the cross season is long and tough, it's perfectly normal to take a little break when there is an opportunity. Also gives other riders a chance to go for a win.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #154 on: November 05, 2016, 10:58 »
    Thanks SR. By the way, just realised that I posted my post yesterday on the General News Thread while I intended to post it on the 2016/17 season thread. Lol it was on Friday late in the afternoon and the week has been long.  :D ;)

But I agree. I think it's sort of relieving me that Wout finally takes a rest because even though I admire his dedication, I guess at that rhythm he would never be in contention for the World title in January and he's still only just 22. Mathieu hasn't been as active so far this year but with a disturbed preparation, he should be careful. He doesn't believe it was the reason for his counterperformance on the Koppenberg but perhaps he's still too young and unexperienced for such comments. I guess we may trust Adrie for that. And he's only just 21.

If I remember well, when Lars did his first season with the pros, at age 21 as well he skipped all the BPost (now DVV) races in order not to overload his calendar. He did the same the following year. Michael Vanthourenhout is not racing evrything either. Now at age 25 Lars is racing everything of course but at age 21/22 it's normal not to race as much as an in-prime rider. However it's possible that Wout & Mathieu are more resistent than Lars is, since they are physically more strongly built.
  • ReplyReply

• davebeck

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 0
    « Reply #155 on: November 06, 2016, 05:04 »
    I am reading this forum from last two days and felt good to join, but can't ride cycle as it is ashamed  to have in life.
    I see all of you like cycling and when I was young liked to ride mac cycle by bending shoulders
  • ReplyReply

•