collapse

LaVelocipede

• Domestique
  • Liked: 382
  • Awards: Reigning TDF Prediction Champ2015 Giro Quiz League - 1st PlaceNew Member of 2014
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 21:51 by LaVelocipede, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
"Cycling is like boxing: It's not a game. It's a hard, pitiless sport that demands very great sacrifices.One plays football, tennis, hockey, but one does not play at cycling."
- Jean de Gribaldy

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
  • Monument Winner
  • Liked: 5647
  • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
    • Dopeology.org
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
Re: General Cyclocross News
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2015, 15:33 »
Nationals

*be

1. Klaas VANTORNOUT
2. Tom MEEUSEN
3. Wout VAN AERT
4. Sven NYS
5. Kevin PAUWELS

1. Sanne CANT
2. Ellen VAN LOY
3. Githa MICHIELS

Surprise result but anything could have happened today and the best runner won, even if he has been sick recently. Great race, all told.

*nl

1. Mathieu VAN DER POEL
2. David VAN DER POEL
3. Lars VAN DER HAAR

1. Marianne VOS

A family affair ...

*fr

1. Clément LHÔTELLERIE ;)
2. Clément VENTURINI
3. Francis MOUREY

1. Pauline FERRAND-PRÉVOT

How many jerseys, PFP? :D

*uk

1. Ian FIELD
2. Liam KILLEEN
3. Lewis CRAVEN

1. Helen WYMAN
2. Nikki HARRIS
3. Annie LAST

*ch

1. Julien TARAMARCAZ

*de

1. Marcel MEISEN

*it

1. Marco FONTANA

*es

1. Aitor HERNANDEZ

*usa

POSTPONED DUE TO WEATHER :D
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:53 by L'arri »
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #92 on: January 11, 2015, 15:45 »
    https://twitter.com/AustinCityParks/status/554288182779330560

Some hysterical responses in that twitter feed.  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• LaVelocipede

• Domestique
    • Awards: Reigning TDF Prediction Champ2015 Giro Quiz League - 1st PlaceNew Member of 2014
    « Reply #94 on: January 11, 2015, 17:46 »
    Nationals

*de

1. Marcel MEISEN

*be
    Surprise result but anything could have happened today and the best runner won, even if he has been sick recently. Great race, all told.

Meisen won by MINUTES!
    Reviewed Belgium: http://www.podiumcafe.com/2015/1/11/7527569/vantornout-back-with-a-bang-takes-driekleur
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #95 on: January 14, 2015, 08:51 »
    Newly crowned national champion Clément Lhôtellerie has not been selected to represent France in the upcoming Worlds in Tabor.

Selector Pierre-Yves Chatelon says that Lhôtellerie has delivered insufficient results in previous World Cup races to justify selection and would start too far back on the grid anyway. Chatelon claims the rider himself appreciâtes the différences between the course at Pontchâteau and Tabor.

Meanwhile hotshot youngster Clément Venturini will stay U23 for this edition.

Élite men: Fabien Canal, David Menut, Francis Mourey

Élite women: Lucie Chainel, Pauline Ferrand-Prévot, Caroline Mani, Marlène Petit

U23 men: Fabien Doubey, Joshua Dubau, Lucas Dubau, Clément Russo, Clément Venturini

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/La-france-sans-son-champion/527832 (FR)
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #96 on: January 31, 2015, 14:16 »
    Yahoo! Grande Pauline!

Double rainbow and quadruple national champion. Full credit also to the GB girls finishing 4th and 7th.

• ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #97 on: February 01, 2015, 14:17 »

• ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #98 on: August 10, 2015, 15:49 »
    It's winter in Australia and thus time for the Aussie CX nationals.

The elite men's race was pretty thrilling with a war of attrition leaving two guys to duel it out on the final few corners.

And then this happened ...

• ReplyReply

• LaVelocipede

• Domestique
    « Reply #99 on: August 10, 2015, 16:21 »
    It's winter in Australia and thus time for the Aussie CX nationals.

The elite men's race was pretty thrilling with a war of attrition leaving two guys to duel it out on the final few corners.

And then this happened ...

This thread's back! Is it cross season yet? --
    And what the f-...?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #100 on: August 11, 2015, 13:48 »
    Gripping story in today's Het Nieuwsblad. I thought I had better share it with those of you who are not aware of the quality journalism from Flanders' most cycling-friendly newspaper.

Quote from: Unmissable news from Het Nieuwsblad
    Mother of Sven Nys: "What do all these women want?"

After separating from Isabelle, things seem back to normal for Sven Nys (39). There's been some gossip lately about a new love in his life but gossip is just what it is according to his mother Vera, even though she accepts that Nys does get female attention.

Sven is, after his much-discussed breakup, probably the most eligible bachelor in Flanders. Recently there was a beach volleyball tournament in Baal, where he lives. According to witnesses, the rider had to fight off the women and his mother knows that they're crowding after him. "Sven regularly gets love letters in the post. Women telling him their feelings ... you know, that stuff. But Sven doesn't answer them."

Yet Mama Vera does sound a little worried. "Sven has been a year without a partner now and a man isn't made to be alone. My son doesn't say much but I think he's open to a new love. I think he needs to be really careful with girls who offer themselves on a silver platter. What are they upto? Are they really in love with him or is he just a nice trophy for them?"

It would, I think y'all would agree, make an interesting change for CX megastar Nys to be picked up as a trophy instead of picking up trophies himself.  :lol

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20150811_01813471 (NL)
  • ReplyReply

• LaVelocipede

• Domestique
    « Reply #101 on: August 19, 2015, 16:25 »
    Nice to see the whole team modelling it.
    https://twitter.com/sven_nys/status/633624447048617984
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #102 on: September 03, 2015, 10:16 »
    The UCI has decided to ban the use of water bottles during CX races.

Until now, bottles had been allowed in conditions greater than 20 degrees Celsius.

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cnt/dmf20150902_01847429 (NL)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5910
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #103 on: September 03, 2015, 14:12 »
    Until now, bottles had been allowed in conditions greater than 20 degrees Celsius.
    Well, frankly, CX races shouldn't be allowed to be held in those conditions in the first place. :P

By tradition, a CX race ought to feature at least one (but preferably several) of the following:
    Rain, near-freezing temperatures, wind, beer, Belgians, frieten, steps, mud, tight turns, sand, snow, ice, more beer, more mud. :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10811
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 300
    « Reply #105 on: September 24, 2015, 09:18 »
    "Is this heaven"
    "No its the Iowa Cyclo X course; when we built it we had a strange hunch that you would come"...
  • ReplyReply

• LaVelocipede

• Domestique
    « Reply #106 on: October 16, 2015, 22:50 »
    Anyone intend to be in this thread this season? Just me? May as well spam then!
    https://twitter.com/PodiumCafe/status/654944904968314880
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 333
    « Reply #107 on: October 17, 2015, 01:13 »
    Anyone intend to be in this thread this season? Just me? May as well spam then!
    https://twitter.com/PodiumCafe/status/654944904968314880

I'll drop in to the thread and keep you company - I find the road season a bore ... but love the cross season. If only the local media gave better coverage, then I could really follow the season!

Interesting list ... but gotta question putting Nys at #1. Yes, I know his history but, as the financial planner said to us yesterday when talking about retirement savings: "Past performance is no indicator of future performance". I think that his day is done and his value to sponsors is more about who he was than his ability to win races from here out.

Of course, I stand to be proven wrong over the season ...  ;)

Looking forward to van der Poel getting back on his bike and taking on van Aert.

And where's the list for the women? With no Vos around (at least, as far as I've heard she's still going to be out), we'll see some close racing on that side of the card this season I hope!
  • ReplyReply

• LaVelocipede

• Domestique
    « Reply #108 on: October 17, 2015, 07:48 »
    I know about the women, I've been fairly well cross -examined about them. For a start,  I don't even know who'll be riding, and when they'll start. I love women's CX - as I say in the piece, and I'll probably do one for the women in the near future.
    Does it really matter who I have first? I wanted it right to left or left to right, and I didn't want to put Van der Haar and Pauwels #1 and #2.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

• ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1978
    • Awards: Giro Prediction Champ 2017
    « Reply #109 on: October 17, 2015, 10:18 »
    I'll pop in.  Last winter was the first time I had tried to follow CX, having been grabbed by the Milton Keynes race, and found it good entertainment, sufficiently to be disappointed to discover I have missed some races already.

Don't expect me to be able to comment on history of the sport or anyone other than the front runners.

What's a good page to have bookmarked at this time of year for main headlines/making sure I don't let races slip by unnoticed?
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 333
    « Reply #110 on: October 17, 2015, 12:47 »
    Does it really matter who I have first? I wanted it right to left or left to right, and I didn't want to put Van der Haar and Pauwels #1 and #2.

Gotcha - when I first read it, I thought that it was a ranking. Now I understand that it's actually simply a list of the eight most likely main protagonists for the season - so as you say, the order doesn't matter  ...   :cool
  • ReplyReply

• LaVelocipede

• Domestique
    « Reply #111 on: October 17, 2015, 13:35 »
    I'll pop in.  Last winter was the first time I had tried to follow CX, having been grabbed by the Milton Keynes race, and found it good entertainment, sufficiently to be disappointed to discover I have missed some races already.

Don't expect me to be able to comment on history of the sport or anyone other than the front runners.

What's a good page to have bookmarked at this time of year for main headlines/making sure I don't let races slip by unnoticed?
    cxstats.com is good for results. I'll be doing pieces on podiumcafe.com
    Otherwise, CN and Velonews are good. Oh, and cxhairs.com

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

• ReplyReply

• LaVelocipede

• Domestique
    « Reply #112 on: October 17, 2015, 15:04 »
    Gotcha - when I first read it, I thought that it was a ranking. Now I understand that it's actually simply a list of the eight most likely main protagonists for the season - so as you say, the order doesn't matter  ...   :cool
    Ah - no. I think it'll be Wout vs Mathieu, with Wout having the upper hand!
  • ReplyReply

• LaVelocipede

• Domestique

Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 740
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #114 on: November 28, 2015, 17:17 »
    BUMP!

Tomorrow the Flandrienscross. You can watch it through the Sporza website using HOLA, even Neill Rogers can do that.

Enjoy the show peeps.

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/matchcenter/mc_wielrennen

Thanks Murrjt for pointing to this not very often used topic  ;) ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 740
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #115 on: November 29, 2015, 15:32 »
    WOW

What a race, did see it for about five minutes due to a total stream blackout, thanks Belgica for getting in the finale of that stupid Davis Cup!

It is getting boring as hell this season, Wout van Aert, Wout van Aert and Wout van Aert again on the podium today, taking a clean sweep...

1.   Wout van Aert   in 58'26"
    2.   Sven Nys   op 18"
    3.   Kevin Pauwels   1'04"
    4.   Lars van der Haar (Ned)   1'25"
    5.   Mathieu van der Poel (Ned)   2'00"
    6.   Laurens Sweeck   2'04"
    7.   Julien Taramarcaz (Zwi)   2'32"
    8.   Tom Meeusen   2'35"
    9.   Michael Vanthourenhout   2'41"
    10.   Corné van Kessel (Ned)   2'59"
  • ReplyReply

• LaVelocipede

• Domestique

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #117 on: January 12, 2016, 09:26 »
    If the odds on Van Aert's victory in last weekend's Belgian CX Nats were pretty short, there was plenty of interest in the offbeat stories of the day. One of them was this one:

Joeri Adams finished in 13th place and duly won the Elite without Contract national title. Here he is on the podium:

What's remarkable is how miserable he looks about it, as he did when he crossed the line. It was notable enough that I spotted it while watching the race.

The reason turns out to be simple: on January 1st his pro contract ended and was not renewed. Hence the rather pathetic picture: he's riding on the bike and wearing the kit of his former employer but he has no job.

A news article from Sporza explains this anomaly. Possibly he did a deal where at least he could keep possession of the bike until the end of the season if he wore the kit or something like that: January 1st may be a neat contractual date but it is right in the middle of the CX season.

Still more bizarrely, his former team seemed keen to take some of the credit for Adams' 'win', describing it on the team's official website, where the erstwhile employee is quoted thus:

"I still think I'm worthy of being a professional rider, so it was hard for me to be happy about this".

If that wasn't enough, the website then appears to gently criticise Adams for his lack of enthusiasm, claiming that he "might have shown a little more respect for a national title."

Only in Belgium. :lol :P

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/extra/opvallend/1.2543395 (NL)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #118 on: January 12, 2016, 09:39 »
    Before Joeri Adams ran away with the title that Guy Denuwelaere has made his own for the last billion seasons (see above), the U23 Men gave us their own particular brand of excitement, starting their national championship race with a mass pile-up.

The ugly mess that ensued forced a restart - a rare occurrence in cycling of any discipline - with shoo-in race favourite Eli Iserbyt a DNS as a result of his injuries.

Iserbyt's fall appeared to be the source of the damage but it was not hard to see how being stepped on by other riders caught behind might also have hurt.

U23: plenty of skill, bags of motivation, zero commonsense.

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/matchcenter/mc_wielrennen/cat_veldrijden/Comp_BK_veldrijden_2016/1.2538834 (NL)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #119 on: January 13, 2016, 08:28 »
    Just a few weeks off retirement, Sven Nys has given clear notice of what he intends to do with his future.

The CX legend, whose Cycling Centre is already being built in his native Baal, was present yesterday at the Belgian Federation's team leadership training course along with current teammate Sven Vantourenhout and former roadman Kevin Hulsmans.

Ready to join Telenet-Fidea as a DS for the 2016-17 season, Nys commented that the course was very comprehensive:

"How should you behave when you're driving as a team leader behind a platoon? When can you drive behind the leading group? When should you stay behind the pack? As a rider, you don't often think about such things. Sometimes it's about best practice, but it can also be about regulations and even unwritten rules. There's still a lot to deal with."

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/veldrijden/1.2545090 (NL)

Meanwhile Marlux DS and former CX and road pro Mario De Clercq, who was also present at the above course, has decided to quit his current role.

The Marlux team, formerly Sunweb-Napoleon Games, has endured a difficult season with both leaders Kevin Pauwels and Klaas Vantornout struggling to deliver consistent results at the highest level.

About to turn fifty and become a grandfather, De Clercq explained that he now needs to spend more time with his family and that it is time for a new generation.

Perhaps ironically, the arrival of a new generation in CX is probably the cause of Marlux's apparent mediocrity rather than a lack of form with the team's ageing leaders.

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/veldrijden/1.2544006 (NL)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:40 by L'arri »