collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1475
Re: General Cyclocross News
« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2016, 23:55 »

Jappe Jaspers will turn pro on 1 January with the new team led by Nick Nuyens with Niels Albert as cross coach and with Crelan as main sponsor. So says the regional extra of the Gazet van Antwerpen on this Monday.

Thereby Jaspers becomes the youngest ever pro cyclocrosser, at age 18 and 4 months. With Wout Van Aert, Tim Merlier, Stan Godrie, they will form a cyclocross quartet in this cross/road team. He’ll remain active in the U23 ranks, the nats aside and will keep on carrying out his study in photography.

Jaspers showed his climb talent in a 3-day race in Germany. Nick Nuyens sees more in him than just a crosser.
He finds it rather boring the turn along in a peloton

but with the pros I will get enough distraction. Go and fetch bidons, racing at the front of the peloton and more of those things.  That means to me. I’ll gladly execute what is expected of me. Though in the first place, it’s still the idea to grow up in this job
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #151 on: November 03, 2016, 15:36 »
    I remember having already read an article about Jappe Jaspers it was on 25 October in the Gazet van Antwerpen but I didn't have time to post it.

At the Niels Albert Cross in Boom, Jappe was 10th, racing witth the pros and thereby grabbing his very first UCI point while he's just starting to digest the transition towards the U23

This sole UCI point makes a gigantic difference for me because I can now start with a better position on the line.  In the youth category, I usually set it myself. This can mean a big step forward. At the start I had trouble with the tempo.  Now it's imposed upon me by older riders who also  had a better prep on the road. On the road I still raced with the juniors. They already raced with the U23.

In Gieten, Ronse and Zonhoven Jappe was twice 2nd U23 year #1 and once first.

His next objective was a selection for World Cup events and for the Euro championship [that failed, I think?] and he hopes to be selected for Zolder because then a dual selection may be sent.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #152 on: November 04, 2016, 15:40 »

Yesterday's Het Laatste Nieuws & De Morgen

Mathieu Van der Poel had an offday on All Saints Day for the Koppenberg Cross, something that he cannot understand. He was not sick nor injured but he doesn't worry for the rest of the season. The day after the race was a recup day like any other recuperation day: loosely riding in am, a nap after lunch and then consulting the kinesist.

He thought that he might not have recovered from the trip from Pontchateau but knows that that cannot be a logical explanation. He was with the Belgians on the plane and they had no trouble with that trip. He doesn't go further than "maybe a bit exhausted".

He doesn't even believe that his cut short summer preparation ma have an influence on this off-day

Because so far I consistently performed. If my basis was not large enough I would have had more ups and downs. I understand people's surprise because I don't get it either. It rarely occurs to me, such an off-day. It wasn't fun but I've decided not to break my mind about it. The coming weekend we shall see if there's something wrong with but right now I start from the assumption that everything is okay and that I soon can get my normal level back.

Only ...

(In Gazet van Antwerpen)

Both Wout Van Aert and Mathieu Van der Poel pulled out of the Schelde Cross in Antwerp, next Saturday. They are both still scheduled to race Ruddervoorde though. After Ruddervoorde Wout is going on holiday in Spain for a week in order to recuperate for the rest of the season and thereby will miss Niel (traditionally held on Armistice Day 11/11) and Hasselt on 11/19. None of them are ranked events.

Wout would like to show his rainbow jersey but we should beware of overdoing. He also wants to be fit for the Worlds late January and that's why it's wise to fill in some gas back.

says his manager Jan Verstraeten. His trainer also feared he raced too much. See the thread dedicated to him.

Mathieu also pulls out of Niel but races Ruddervoorde and he stays in Belgium.

Due to his knee injuries Mathieu didn't have an ideal preparation for this cross season and shouldn't ... [cannot translate]. The season is still long enough.

says Adrie.

Lars Van der Haar also pulls out of Sint-Niklaas. Toon Aerts, Laurens Sweeck, Tom Meeusen, Kevin Pauwels, Klaas Vantornout and Michael Vanthourenhout are present though.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2494
    « Reply #153 on: November 04, 2016, 16:14 »

[cannot translate]

"Shouldn't run past himself" literally, meaning he shouldn't do more than his body can handle. Which seems wise.

It's too bad for those events, but the cross season is long and tough, it's perfectly normal to take a little break when there is an opportunity. Also gives other riders a chance to go for a win.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #154 on: November 05, 2016, 10:58 »
    Thanks SR. By the way, just realised that I posted my post yesterday on the General News Thread while I intended to post it on the 2016/17 season thread. Lol it was on Friday late in the afternoon and the week has been long.  :D ;)

But I agree. I think it's sort of relieving me that Wout finally takes a rest because even though I admire his dedication, I guess at that rhythm he would never be in contention for the World title in January and he's still only just 22. Mathieu hasn't been as active so far this year but with a disturbed preparation, he should be careful. He doesn't believe it was the reason for his counterperformance on the Koppenberg but perhaps he's still too young and unexperienced for such comments. I guess we may trust Adrie for that. And he's only just 21.

If I remember well, when Lars did his first season with the pros, at age 21 as well he skipped all the BPost (now DVV) races in order not to overload his calendar. He did the same the following year. Michael Vanthourenhout is not racing evrything either. Now at age 25 Lars is racing everything of course but at age 21/22 it's normal not to race as much as an in-prime rider. However it's possible that Wout & Mathieu are more resistent than Lars is, since they are physically more strongly built.
  • ReplyReply

• davebeck

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 0
    « Reply #155 on: November 06, 2016, 05:04 »
    I am reading this forum from last two days and felt good to join, but can't ride cycle as it is ashamed  to have in life.
    I see all of you like cycling and when I was young liked to ride mac cycle by bending shoulders
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 381
    • Awards: 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 Official Prediction Game Champ2018 Tour Prediction Champ2018 Vuelta Prediction Champ2018 Giro Prediction ChampSpring Classics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #156 on: December 18, 2017, 07:36 »
    Evie Richards wins at Namur this weekend. In the podium photo, now that is what I call a winning smile.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6654
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #157 on: January 13, 2018, 16:41 »
    Right on target, with Flemish TV currently showing a short series called DNA Nys, retired champion Sven's son Thibau wins the Nats  *be for his category. His arch-rival Dante Coremans was fourth.

A few weeks ago, Nys Senior prompted a few raised eyebrows during the TV series when he claimed that there were many other youngsters at the same level as his son and that only time would tell if the lad, who seems to prefer road racing, would turn out to be a good rider. Modesty or a bit of gentle trolling? :P
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 381
    • Awards: 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 Official Prediction Game Champ2018 Tour Prediction Champ2018 Vuelta Prediction Champ2018 Giro Prediction ChampSpring Classics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #158 on: February 03, 2018, 15:17 »
    Double gold for GB today at the world's with Evie Richards and Ben Tulett both being successful.
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 415
    « Reply #159 on: February 04, 2018, 17:17 »
    Two more exhausting races today - must be one of the hardest hour and bits of effort in any sport  - really tough for riders today, but great to watch.  Shame for Pidcock but you can't win em all, and I was astonished re the Elite Mens, that will take some getting over.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2665
    « Reply #160 on: February 04, 2018, 20:01 »
    I was just looking into this thread, looking for explanations of why the favorites both failed today?
    None of them seemed to master the pressure, but  #rainbow van Aert seemed to be riding more economically on the soft ground and run a lot better than van Poels?
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    « Reply #161 on: February 04, 2018, 21:19 »
    Still its hard to fathom re Van Poels, so dominant all season, but on the one race he would have traded the other 24 wins for he goes off possibly to fast, and then just cant live with v-A.  We all have off days but after the tragedy of last year this is really tough to take, so not only does his biggest rival three-peat, but he gets to wear that jersey every week again next year - that is a whole mountain of hurt.  Still they are both so young that hopefully this is a series that will run well into the next decade. 

[Chapeau though to v-P for getting back into 3rd when it looked possibly lost and then having a real go for silver, I am nor sure that mentally I could have done that if whatever you did your biggest rival was going to keep the jersey][let's face it I couldn't have done it even in a parallel universe but even for a world champion / world cup winner I though that was impressive]
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #162 on: February 05, 2018, 14:38 »
    The media here have sought to explain the cause of VdP's poor result variously as poor tyre choice, a rare off-day (see upthread) or the assumption of the dreaded "Curse of Sven Nys" (dominant everywhere except at the Worlds).

However, the only individual in CX these days, other than Wout or Mathieu, more likely to cause waves in the media is VdP Senior, who is perhaps a sorer loser than his son. During the race yesterday, where unlike the UCI Flemish TV always has a journo in the pits to question team managers, Adrie had this to say:

"If the gap reaches two minutes, it is not normal ... [Van Aert] is riding around, but he does not breathe..."

Thus the heat of that particular moment seemed to be coming from raked over coals. Oblique accusations have been ignited in the past over medical treatments. But in a studio show later that evening, Flemish commentator Michel Wuyts defended Wout:

"Adrie van der Poel is making an insinuation and that is a dangerous game. From his words you could conclude that Wout van Aert is medically assisted and has taken cortisone."

Wuyts stated instead how the parcours favoured Van Aert and the seemingly opposite ways in which each of the two rivals had managed his peak form coming to this point of the season. But he reserved his sharpest comment for last:

"Mathieu is now 23, I think it's high time he got a real trainer [instead of his father]. He needs a good trainer to show him how to organise his season."
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    « Reply #163 on: February 05, 2018, 19:35 »
    Oh yes and for reasons unknown UCI geo blocked uk coverage of men's elite race... There was no live coverage elsewhere so had to wait for a delayed Eurosport highlights package with extended ad breaks that skipped from lap 1 to lap 4 without explanation.  Really shambolic handling of the world champs by UCI in a big cycling market
  • ReplyReply

• rote_laterne

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 144
    « Reply #164 on: February 05, 2018, 21:59 »
    Oh yes and for reasons unknown UCI geo blocked uk coverage of men's elite race...

Yes, that's a bad joke. I enjoyed the U23 women's race though, especially the third place of Nadja Heigl.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #165 on: February 06, 2018, 07:32 »
    Oh yes and for reasons unknown UCI geo blocked uk coverage of men's elite race... There was no live coverage elsewhere so had to wait for a delayed Eurosport highlights package with extended ad breaks that skipped from lap 1 to lap 4 without explanation.  Really shambolic handling of the world champs by UCI in a big cycling market

It was blocked here in Belgium too, as have been all the World Cup rounds. The reason is the same as for the UK: if any sort of broadcast rights have been purchased (live or highlights), the feed is blocked.

Here Telenet bought up the World Cups and part-sponsored them, while the national broadcaster, which consequently ran only delayed highlights of the Cups much to my irritation, showed the World Champs live.

A Firefox plugin gets around the YouTube block easily enough though. I've been able to watch all of it, even if I do get stuck with McCrossan and his appalling pronunciation. The other guy doing the ladies is monotonal but much better.

2017 was a bad year for the national broadcaster's rights purchasing here. For the first time I can remember, we didn't get any RCS Sport races (Giro, MSR, Tirreno, etc) and it was admitted in a brief news article that they got outbid or couldn't afford the package. I had to watch those races on crappy Eurosport NL instead. Bizarrely though, we did get Lombardia.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #166 on: September 16, 2018, 15:14 »
    Nice and deserved win for Lars Van der Haar  on the Kapelmuur.  :) :cool Wout Van Aert was 1 minute ahead but then really missed a turn, broke his derailleur and had to run to the pit area** which was quite far from where he crashed.

Wout restarted 15" behind Lars and was still possible but crashed again due to too much pressure.

Surprised 3rd place for Daan Soete. Nice to see Kevin Pauwels still 5th against all these youngsters. It seems that he considered retiring at the end of the season. I hope not.

1 Lars Van der Haar *nl
    2 Wout Van Aert  #rainbow
    3 Daan Soete
    4 Toon Aerts
    5 Kevin Pauwels
    6 Laurens Sweeck
    7 Quinten Hermans
    8 Jim Aernouts
    9 Tim Merlier
    10 Corne Van Kessel *nl
    11 Tom Meeusen

** Sorry for my anti-English borrowing obsession but I find it appalling that the organisers themselves named that area "pit area" in English instead of "mechanische zone" but well I guess I'm on a losing battle here.  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2427
    • Awards: 2018 Tour de France CQ game winnerGiro Prediction Champ 2017
    « Reply #167 on: September 16, 2018, 15:43 »
    Sounds more fortunate than deserved, but thanks for the heads up that it is time again to start looking in odd streams for this winter entertainment.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6812
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #168 on: October 25, 2018, 08:34 »
    Here's a fun idea from Canada on how to handicap the best rider in the field.

At Southern Cross in Manitoba, Canadian Danick Vandale had to split wood mid-race. The activity was imposed on the dominant rider as a handicap by Team Manitoba coach Jayson Gillespie. It's just one in a series of handicaps imposed on the strongest riders in Manitoba that has also included eating a quarter of a pumpkin pie mid-race and carry their bikes for an entire lap. At Southern Cross, Vandale took the win by 2 min 14 sec over the second place rider.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: [2.2] Vuelta al Tachira by Leadbelly
    [December 18, 2018, 18:37]

Re: Giro 2019 General Discussion by search
    [December 18, 2018, 13:19]

Re: Race news 2019 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by search
    [December 18, 2018, 12:45]

Re: Retirement announcements by LukasCPH
    [December 18, 2018, 09:58]

Re: Stig Broeckx Recovery Thread by Echoes