collapse

Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
  • Liked: 434
Hey L'Arri - don't you owe us all a Paris Roubaix report?  :slow

How'd "new cycling fan indoctrination part II" go? She hooked and ready to join all of us opinionated bastards the forum yet? :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3286
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    She sent me an SMS yesterday stating that she had been "very disappointed" after hearing about Kristoff's win on Sunday (his being a Russian team) but that "I have tasted blood and I will get revenge at Paris-Roubaix"

So we're going to watch P-R together on Sunday and I'll see if she wants to do Amstel Gold at the roadside.

Apart from that, I just hope that it isn't my blood that she'll want to taste...

Speaking of  50 Shades of Grey... :-x

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6772
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Hey L'Arri - don't you owe us all a Paris Roubaix report?  :slow

How'd "new cycling fan indoctrination part II" go? She hooked and ready to join all of us opinionated bastards the forum yet? :cool

Sharp, very sharp. ;)

It didn't start well because I had just rolled out of bed rather late, so I wasn't home when my friend arrived. :snooty

Zoomed back in the car and saved face. We hastily tore round the supermarket for olives and cheese, both of which were less good than the other week. She had brought something like seven or eight beers from the old country which I can confirm were all pretty decent.

We caught up on non-cycling topics while out of one eye I watched the early, non-commentated (sic) coverage on Sporza.

On to the main business of the day, she said that MSR had been a bit confusing in the last 10km with all the action on and after the Poggio and it had been hard for her to adjust her viewing to that sudden increase in drama. I found that interesting because I suppose we all take our knowledge somewhat for granted when things get busy in races.

P-R seemed to us rather uneventful until late on. We frequently wandered off into other chatting and only the rail crossing incident was of deep interest. It did give me an opportunity to talk a little about the history of the sport and how that works in the modern calendar context.

As usual, there was much attention for Estonian riders and, like MSR, the only representative here was Cofidis' Gert Joeaar.

I have already aired my suspicions about Rein Taaramae this season since his move to Astana.

What's more Taaramae, whose name translates to something like "tree on a mountain", is a household name in Estonia, my friend tells me. Everyone knows him and he is hugely more popular than Tanel Kangert or the hapless Joeaar for some reason. So I was somewhat slandering a national hero the like of whom has not been seen since Kirsipuu or that other one who died young.

Now you might think that I was courting death or destruction or both with such remarks made to one so fervently proud of her nation and its heroes. However, my friend surprised me yet again, when in response she betrayed a robust awareness of the situation at Astana and its upcoming licence hearing, and even cautiously allowed the possibility that dear young Rein had gone to the Dark Side.

But back to P-R. I was a bit worse for wear by the last 20km or so and I was amazed to see not one but two Degenkolbs bridging to Lampaert and Van Avermaet :o It was pretty exciting there in the final analysis but I don't think either of us doubted that, once they all came to the velodrome, at least one of the German simulacra would cross the line first.

My friend had already suffered earlier an attack of that bizarre and largely undocumented affliction that turns the afflicted into an unreconstructed fanboy of Geraint Thomas.

After witnessing the taff crash out of relevance, she was now also a little disappointed in that Thuringia's finest had struck again after winning MSR - she prefers to see a distribution of wins - but she was glad nonetheless that Sagan and Katusha had failed.

The biggest cheer of the day however was reserved for Joeaar who, having DNF'd at MSR, eventually rolled into Roubaix in 110th place at over seventeen minutes down. My friend was ecstatic.

Next episode: Liège-Bastogne-Liège at the roadside!
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Recent Posts