• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Re: The Secret Pro Blog
    « Reply #91 on: April 02, 2014, 03:58 »
    Oh yippee, yippee, yippee...the Secret Pro is back!  :ohu

(Not a dig on JSG)

So this "pro" announces his return as if he held some lofty position to begin with?  Please. He's going to have to do much better than...

You’ll be hearing an announcement on the decision on Mick’s B-sample very soon

People I’ve spoken to that have been around for a while says they haven’t heard of anyone taking clenbuterol in the past 20 years.
    :slow

let’s talk about the Flemish Classics coming up. My tip? Cancellara
    :x_x
  • ReplyReply

• Gotland

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 397
    • Awards: New Member of the Year 2013
    « Reply #92 on: April 02, 2014, 09:20 »
    not exactly an "easy" stage though

Correct, but are you reading the secret pro's story at face value?
  • ReplyReply
  • "Emma is Queen of consistency" Peloton Watch

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8633
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #93 on: April 02, 2014, 09:27 »
    mmh, no, not really. And Hushovd was in green back then, so with Garmin having some kind of leader's jerseys around, that part would fit

no one from Garmin's 2010 Tour de France team did Beijing in 2013 though. But those parts about the race programs are made up anyway, or this secret pro thing really is just a conglomeration of various half-baked sources and rumours
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Gotland

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 397
    • Awards: New Member of the Year 2013
    « Reply #94 on: April 02, 2014, 11:37 »
    A good way to find out is to single out narratives that isn't known, or couldn't be known publicly. The Millar story is a known story and has been out there for a few months.

Maybe there is a 'pro' but his narrative could be spiced up to make it more interesting. It is interesting that he speaks on behalf on the peloton. It must be some differences between let's say English speaking riders and Spanish speaking riders. The peloton should be separated in to different, cultural, language, social, team fractions like any social group would be divided in society.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #95 on: April 02, 2014, 11:39 »
    yeh, but actually it does not have to be Millar, things like that propably happen dozens of times a year
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3363
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #96 on: April 02, 2014, 13:14 »
    The story is Millar, but it's straight from his book. From memory he gave the police motorcyclist the jersey next day.

Apart from that, the secret pro continues to just be click bait.

"The Secret Pro - Telling us what we already knew since 2013"
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 14:28 by Dim »

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1730
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #97 on: April 02, 2014, 16:23 »
    yeh, but actually it does not have to be Millar, things like that propably happen dozens of times a year

I think that is likely the case as well, a few come to mind -
    Andy and O'Grady at the '10 Vuelta http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/updated-andy-schleck-ogrady-removed-from-vuelta
    Also MR mentioned in his book that the Rabo team was celebrating their Tour result before the stage 20 ITT on the 2005 TdF. Apparently MR's mechanic was still drunk and cost MR a few placings in the GC.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3363
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #98 on: April 02, 2014, 21:04 »
    I think the specific mention of the motorbike and the jersey gives it away.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10407
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #100 on: February 23, 2015, 10:21 »
    https://twitter.com/IamtheSecretPro/status/569769924861624320

not read it yet FWIW

It's bland. As always.

Includes another of those "I'm not an apologist for Lance but ..." viewpoints.

The rest consists of disc brakes, moaning about Pro Conti and Conti riders and what a sh*t Bouhanni is.

Not setting the world on fire, this fellow. Thank goodness most pros let their legs do the talking, because they're a dull lot.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #101 on: February 23, 2015, 10:22 »
    It's bland. As always.

Includes another of those "I'm not an apologist for Lance but ..." viewpoints.

The rest consists of disc brakes, moaning about Pro Conti and Conti riders and what a sh*t Bouhanni is.

Not setting the world on fire, this fellow.

nope read it now Crap again
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 703
    • Spring is coming... I hope
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #102 on: February 23, 2015, 10:34 »
    I actually still quite like it.

However, it could be written by someone outside the peloton, considering the amount of actual insight contained.

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #103 on: February 23, 2015, 10:53 »
    To be clear, I wouldn't mind that much even if the content wasn't particularly detailed. I do not expect the spice of innuendo and scandal in every column (although the episodes are so infrequent, you might think there would be more).

No, it's the quality of the writing that's poor. There's just nothing to get enthused about.

Even apparently dull days in the desert could be written in such a way as to render them engaging and lively.  The pros have that experience of riding high-pressure, with the highs and the lows, we do not have that experience. Surely someone can be found to communicate that on a consistent, meaningful basis.

All that needs to be done is to find a way to distill some of that experience before it evaporates in the blur of hotel rooms, tiredness and rationalisation.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5653
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #104 on: February 23, 2015, 15:50 »
    Some people on Twitter saying that dissing Bouhanni while remaining anonymous isn't on.

Shane Stoke's reply, FWIW:
    https://twitter.com/SSbike/status/569867186422095872
    https://twitter.com/SSbike/status/569867298498080768
  • ReplyReply
  • 2016 Stölting Content Editor; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3208
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #105 on: February 23, 2015, 16:40 »
    I kind of want to know, just so I can never pick them in a Road.cc or CQ team ever again.

But I would be disappointed if it turned out to be someone I like.

Presumably he's a native anglophone? I've never read the blog in enough detail to narrow it down any further than that.
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #106 on: February 23, 2015, 16:43 »
    Presumably he's a native anglophone? I've never read the blog in enough detail to narrow it down any further than that.

there are a lot of false trails in there, it's not possible to track it down by the race schedule and so on.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #107 on: February 23, 2015, 16:51 »
    I've just read a couple of posts on other sites:

http://journalvelo.com/opinion/new-update-who-is-the-secret-pro/

http://www.cyclismas.com/biscuits/the-secret-pro-stirs-the-pot-but-is-it-all-a-hoax/

It's a mark of how bored I am at the end of a working day that I am looking into something I am fundamentally not interested in. But anyway.

there are a lot of false trails in there, it's not possible to track it down by the race schedule and so on.

Which makes you question the whole point of it... if there are false trails then it can't come from only one rider's experiences (as in, some of it must be adapted from other cyclists). Which makes it no more authentic than me cobbling together an "insider's view" based on tweets of riders at any given race.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #108 on: February 23, 2015, 18:12 »
    Which makes you question the whole point of it... if there are false trails then it can't come from only one rider's experiences (as in, some of it must be adapted from other cyclists). Which makes it no more authentic than me cobbling together an "insider's view" based on tweets of riders at any given race.
    It is Dim's suspicion that this is indeed the case: Snippets from conversation with several cyclists put in a blender by the CT guys, and presented as 'The Secret Pro'.
    Perhaps another reason Shane doesn't want to know who it is - if he doesn't explicitly know he can pretend it doesn't go against his journalistic standards. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1730
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #109 on: February 23, 2015, 18:31 »
    It is Dim's suspicion that this is indeed the case: Snippets from conversation with several cyclists put in a blender by the CT guys, and presented as 'The Secret Pro'.
    Perhaps another reason Shane doesn't want to know who it is - if he doesn't explicitly know he can pretend it doesn't go against his journalistic standards. ;)

Why would they not just be open about that then, could just add an s and they would be fine, 'the secret pros' why not? seems better imo anyway.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #110 on: February 23, 2015, 19:16 »
    Why would they not just be open about that then, could just add an s and they would be fine, 'the secret pros' why not? seems better imo anyway.
    Why indeed? :S

My own personal theory:
    At the beginning it was just one 'secret pro'. When the installment became more well-known, people started to dig deeper and were close to exposing who it was - that's when they started putting in false trails by drawing on multiple sources. But as the personality had been built up and trumpeted as an 'unique insight', they couldn't go back from that and say "we're just mixing stuff from 3-12 riders now".

Well, they could, but it would severely hurt their pride - and who would read it then? There are several non-anonymous pro diaries with just as much 'insider' info, if not more.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #111 on: February 23, 2015, 19:47 »
    I haven't read anyone else's response yet, but here's mine.

Another embarrassing offering. I really wish they would just stop this nonsense.

The article starts with the usual painfully obvious observations and “insights.”
    Ooh, it’s hot and sandy in the desert; there are no roadside fans; the riders don’t typical like the conditions; without the wind and bad weather the races become mundane and predictable sprints.

No kidding.

Then, he has the audacity to call out a rider by name (Bouhani) all while remainng anonymous himself. Yeah, don’t expect that to last very long. As soon as someone gets wind of who’s behind these sophomoric ramblings, his real name will be the toast of Twitterati coast-to-coast.

The Hour
    Wow. Wiggins to set the likely standard. Brilliant. Never would’ve thought of that myself. I should probably join a cycling forum or something.

Disc brakes
    Ah, taking a swipe at Conti and Pro-Conti riders. Remember, “Mr. Secret,” nobody likes a dick. Nobody. Don’t be a dick. More brilliant observations: “the only place I can see [disc brakes] being an advantage is on the really wet days.” Well yeah, Sherlock, that’s kind of one of the main talking points in favor of them.

Armstrong
    Oh, poor, poor Lance.
    Seriously, dude? STFU. Just shut it.
    Then he suggests that it be David Millar to the rescue? If all this sympathy for Lance and cheerleading for Millar is a reflection of the pro peloton, then f’ck them. They have the corrupt and ridiculous sport they deserve.

Fireworks from Tinkoff-Saxo this year? Ya’ don’t say.
    Oh, and Oleg is an unstable pr*ck? Imagine that. Suggesting that anyone should then follow Oleg’s ego-driven Twitter drivel is laughable.

This column is the biggest joke since UCI_Overlord.

Jesus Christ. :fp
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #112 on: February 23, 2015, 19:54 »
    Ah, taking a swipe at Conti and Pro-Conti riders. Remember, “Mr. Secret,” nobody likes a dick. Nobody. Don’t be a dick

if he would call out Tyler Farrar at least... :P
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #114 on: May 19, 2015, 10:52 »
    https://twitter.com/cyclingtips/status/600596794603479040

Complains about sh*t hotels and then questions why Porte is in a motorhome. The bit he was probably right about though, it was that Porte didn't have much of a choice in the matter.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1263
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #115 on: May 19, 2015, 10:58 »
    Damning!
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #116 on: May 19, 2015, 11:56 »
    I don't know why I read bullsh*t like this, it just winds me up.

Though the blame can’t always be put on crazy fans — sometimes it’s the fault of the riders too. In many cases there are guys in the front of the peloton in the final kilometres at the Grand Tours who just shouldn’t be there. Smaller guys like the climbers may be trying to stay out of trouble or trying to look after their team leader but end up not knowing how to handle the situation up front in a sprint. These guys, with their limited sprinting skills, cause the crashes. They need to know where their place is.

Seriously? The Giro crashes were completely the fault of the fans. Sprints are difficult - 200 riders on a very small piece of tarmac, with different reasons for being there... the races within the races are what makes cycling so compelling to watch.

Getting through a Grand Tour is a case of picking and choosing your stages, doing what you can on these days and then, on the days where you don’t have an aim, just trying to take it as easy as is possible. If that means rolling in five, 10 or 15 minutes behind then so be it. Just making sure you get in within the time cut is the goal on those days.

Sure - but if your aim is to make sure that Contador/Porte/Aru make it to the end of Stage 21 in the maglia rosa, just being inside the time cut isn't enough. You need to deliver them safely to the 3km mark. This is basic stuff. Secret "Pro" is taking out of his saddle-sore-ridden arse.

Richie is a great guy, but if I were on his team I’d be out every night banging on the door!

If you did that, Secret Pro, you'd pretty soon find yourself out of a contract.

That’s it for this time round, next time it’ll be closer to the big event in July and the stress that comes with it.

Oh, goodie! I can't wait...
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 739
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #117 on: May 19, 2015, 16:53 »
    Great read, so much information  :cool

Watching grass growing etc etc...

addition:

Perhaps this blog is written for the casual cycling fans, not for diehard hardcore cyclingnutters. If thats the case, well, it is still shyte.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 17:46 by Claudio Cappuccino »

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #118 on: May 19, 2015, 18:41 »
    Great read, so much information  :cool
    :lol :lol :lol :lol

I don't know why I read bullsh*t like this, it just winds me up.
    That's why you read it.  :P

So much nothingness. Just so, so much of it.
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 703
    • Spring is coming... I hope
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #119 on: May 24, 2015, 11:57 »
    Whether I am just a naturally patient guy, but I still enjoy it !
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.