collapse

Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
  • Liked: 215
Ice Hockey
« on: December 31, 2012, 14:48 »
Big fan here.  I guess no surprise coming from the GWN.  I like junior hockey more than the NHL, always have so the current lock-out really doesn't affect me.

For my money the best hockey of the year, every year, is the two weeks starting Christmas Eve, the World Junior Championships.

Watching the Canada -Russia round robin game right now.  This game would make anyone a hockey fan.  Fastest first 20 minutes of hockey I think I've ever seen.
  • ReplyReply

• Slapshot

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 273
    Re: Ice Hockey
    « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:40 »
    We've had nothing of the WJC this year we normally get it on Eurosport as well as the Spengler Cup over Christmas....bit disappointing this year.

As the nickname suggests i've played a bit over 35 years playing and coaching in the UK. Love it!! Politics pushed me out 18 months ago but doesn't change my love for the game. Leafs fan and proud to admit it  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 107
    « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 00:56 »
    And it starts again tomorrow. As disgusted as I am by the labour disputes, I am pretty excited to watch hockey played at its best, by its best again. The game is so much faster on a 200x85 surface that I can never get in to watching the KHL. I won't attend a game, mind you, or buy merchandise, but I'll still tune in to the broadcasts. Who is picking whom in the west? The Canucks won't go anywhere until their second line gets healthy; the Oilers are still a goalie, and d-man, and a year or two away; the Blackhawks... not sure about their goalie; the Sharks can never make the final step; I'm not buying the Kings as repeat champs; so maybe the Blues? I don't know, the west is a crap shoot.

Penguins and Rangers to fight for the east. Flyers and Bruins to surprise us with an early playoff exit. Only because I don't like them, they are good enough to win it all.

Crosby to stay healthy, Luongo to be a star wherever he plays, and the Leafs to suck for the 46th straight year. Ok, that last one was easy. 
  • ReplyReply
  • "Well don't run with the riders, you twit."

Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 05:11 »
    I was in Toronto yesterday, asked the guys in our office there if the Leafs were eliminated from the playoffs yet.  They said yes.

I don't watch NHL hockey anymore but my fervent hope is that Schneider falls flat on his face in Vancouver, a week after they trade Luongo to a cup bound team.

That is what Vancouver deserve for thè way they have treated Luongo.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5771
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 09:52 »
    Speaking of the KHL, I'm going to Prague next week, and want to go watch a couple of hockey matches while I'm there (both Sparta - playing in the Czech Extraliga - and Lev - playing in the KHL).
    But I don't follow hockey so much that I would know which matches would potentially be the best to attend.
    For Sparta, I have the options of Mountfield České Budějovice or Kometa Brno.
    For Lev Praha and the KHL, I have Dinamo Minsk, Severstal Cherepovec or Vityaz Chekhov.
    Can anybody in the know tell me which would be the best matches? Ticket prices don't change throughout (Lev is more expensive than Sparta, but for each team's matches, it's the same - and it's only 25 CZK = 1 € more anyway).
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 04:23 »
    The KHL is widely considered the better league, so I would try to catch a Lev game if I could. Lev v Dynamo might be good.

I forgot all about Minnesota Wild in the west... they could be an offensive power if Parise et al can revitalize Heatley's career.

Cory Schneider whiffs on a Souray slapper with a clear view. Ok, the guy has an absolute cannon of a shot but come on Cory. Luongo would have had that (unless it was on the ice and between his feet  :lol). Oh dear, and now the third goal was kind of ugly too. Guess what all the talk in Vancouver will be after the game?

We need hockey-themed emoticons.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:35 by pedaling squares »

pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 04:33 »
    And now Schneider is on the bench. Paying the price for a total defensive collapse by his team, albeit he did nothing to bail them out. And let the million or so west coast hockey 'experts' begin their rants...
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 12:58 »
    The KHL is widely considered the better league, so I would try to catch a Lev game if I could. Lev v Dynamo might be good.

Thanks for your opinion. I thought the same after looking at the current KHL standings, Dinamo Minsk is a top team. Sparta and both of their opponents are somewhat mid-table (understandably in Sparta's case as they lost half of their players to Lev this summer), I might pass on the local matches altogether and go for Lev-Dinamo and Lev-Vityaz.
    The only reservation I have is that Sparta has decades of history, tradition and passionate supporters, as well as hilarious choreographies (I saw all of that last year); while Lev, to me as a European not at all used to sports franchises, isn't a "real team". It just looks a bit artificial.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 14:26 »
    Huh, so my favorite sport is back. Can't say my life was different in its absence.

I was in a sports bar last night (they falsely advertised having Brooklyn Brewery Chocolate Stout in stock, so it was a burger and water for me) and all I saw on the screen was a fight. Really? I am over it. Hockey needs to grow up at some point. The fight seemed to be getting plenty of coverage. OK, the league wants to continue their barbaric ways. Fine. The commissioner has made it quite clear that there will be no significant changes to their policy on fighting. I do have to wonder about something though. What if the networks treated hockey fights like they do fans running onto a baseball or football field? There is an agreement that they will not broadcast those images, thereby reducing the publicity brought upon idiotic behavior. So why not do the same with hockey fights? Is there some reason that these need to become a televised spectacle? If the popularity of the sport hinges on such things then I would suggest that they have bigger problems than even this last labor dispute brought to light.

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 17:19 »
    I never got the point of fights either.
    Hockey is about quick passing, quick skating, and good finishing. And it's a magnificent sport when that all comes together.
    It doesn't even need fighting to appeal to people. Maybe it's an American thing, there seems to be far less fighting in European hockey (from the little I know).
  • ReplyReply

• pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 17:56 »
    There was a time and a place for fighting in hockey; a player who could fight very well used to deter lesser fighters from taking liberties with star players using their sticks and elbows. But that time has passed. The game is just too fast to waste a lineup spot on a player who cannot contribute beyond the use of his fists. The problem is, the league continues to allow the rulebook to be enforced early in the season, and ignored in the playoffs, thus teams who assemble a lineup based on speed and skill are pummelled without consequence. You don't need fighting if the rules are enforced properly to prevent stick work. What I really hate are the staged fights, like the ones shown on the Boston v New York game last night. A fight that is planned and happens as soon as the puck is dropped. If the league truly believed in its product it would throw players out of the game for those fights. The best hockey we ever see happens without fighting. The league doesn't need it and doesn't need fans who think hockey isn't hockey without fighting.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 18:38 »
    Fully agree.
    I have only seen three hockey matches live: One was many years ago, I was 5 or 7 and don't remember anything but my granduncle ranting on his team as old men are wont to do. The other two were last year in Prague.
    In one of those there was a fight; one of the Liberec players got across David Kočí, Kočí retaliated with a fist, but that was all they could do before the referees broke them up. Both got a penalty. Many of the Sparta supporters were chanting Kočí's name (which I found wrong, personally), so I guess he's a "part-time" enforcer - meaning that while he's certainly up to the task of playing, he's not opposed to getting into a fight in the heat of the game.

I remember watching Olympic hockey tournaments on TV, absolutely stunning, high-speed games. Can't recall one fight in these.
  • ReplyReply

• Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 18:53 »
    And now Schneider is on the bench. Paying the price for a total defensive collapse by his team, albeit he did nothing to bail them out. And let the million or so west coast hockey 'experts' begin their rants...

For the record, I did not watch the Canucks game, or any NHL game.  I was at a Rockets game last night.

Schneider - 5 goals on 14 shots???  Defence or not. ......

My daughter showed me a great YouTube video this morning, Luongo going in and a guy in the stands captured on camera, taking off his Schneider jersey and putting on a Luongo jersey.

• ReplyReply

•