collapse

Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
  • Liked: 342
SRAM defies gravity!!!!
« on: February 01, 2012, 18:18 »
I don't know whether this should go in here, in "Rants" or in the forum on other websites ...  >:(

Was reading a review of the next version of SRAM Red on another website with a forum that I formerly posted on (hereinafter referred to as "That Site That Shall Not Be Named" or "TSTSNBN"). I was interested to see that SRAM have finally acknowledged that their front derailleur is crap and needed a major redesign.

All good, but the twits have gone and made it out of some material that's even lighter than the current one!

I mean, if I read the "article" - and I use that term loosely, as TSTSNBN seems to have abandoned most pretences of having any sort of journalistic standard since it was bought out by a large publishing house a couple of years back - and it tells me that the lightweight titanium cage that has caused so many problems has been replaced by a steel and alloy one. That's good - the heavier material should work better!

But not only that! They have also articulated the cage (a la the M952 XTR front derailleur that I put on my X.0 MTB because SRAM's MTB offering was always crap) and have added a built in chain keeper/catcher.

Now this is where things get really cool ... The net additional weight for all of this trickery??? According to TSTSNBN - 0g.

That's right, those clever little elves in SRAM's marketing ... sorry, will rewrite that ...
Those clever little elves in SRAM's tech department have added all these neat little bits and pieces, yet the weight of the component hasn't changed! Wow!! I wonder what new material they have invented that lets them achieve this?? My suspicion is that it is actually made out of a very common organic material known commonly as "Bullsh*t" - but it certainly looks nice and shiny and new!

I would of course love to post this on the forum on TSTSNBN, but suspect that I'd get the same sort of "it's the anodising" platitude from the "author" of the "article" as I got when I challenged him on regurgitating SRAM marketing crap before ... and I suspect that neither the editors and publisher of TSTSNBN nor 99% of readers there would give a toss anyhow (I think that most readers who do care have already migrated way from there anyhow ...) Best to just walk away ...

OK, rant over ... that feels better and saves my co-workers from having me blather on at them about this ...   ;D
  • ReplyReply

• pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 107
    Re: SRAM defies gravity!!!!
    « Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 19:24 »
    Ha! When reading your rant I was wondering if you were the forumite who had suggested that pro teams were using a Force FD and who had been told in reply that it was a 'special Red' FD... which appeared to be a Force FD. I guess that was you. And it looks like you were right. Design change born from complaints by sponsored teams and refusal to use the top tier model? Looks that way. Would love to see the new and old models on a scale.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Well don't run with the riders, you twit."

Damiano Machiavelli

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 18
    « Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 23:28 »
    They just use softer, less dense materials so the components will be even flimsier than before.   Personally I am waiting for the SRAM Papier-mâché gruppo.  It is going to be light.

Don't worry.  They will make it really easy to get a replacement for anything that breaks.  Getting compensation for being stranded, not so much.
  • ReplyReply
  • Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the Earth quakes and the poison arrows fall from the sky and the pillars of heaven shake. Yeah.  Jack just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Gimmie your best shot, pal, I can take it."

ultimobici

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 2
    « Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 00:23 »
    Received the first of our 2012 Red groups yesterday.  All I can say is, meh!  Not amazingly light in comparison to the old stuff.  Confirms my initial skepticism when I sussed out that TSTSNBN was spouting the Sram BS re the weight, comparing the old GXP group with the new BB30 version.  No wonder it appeared heaps lighter!  In reality it's a little lighter (60g or so).
  • ReplyReply

• Antisrta

• Il Capo-Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    • Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 4
    • Follower of Ned Ludd
      • Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    « Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 14:33 »
    I don't know whether this should go in here, in "Rants" or in the forum on other websites ...  >:(

Was reading a review of the next version of SRAM Red on another website with a forum that I formerly posted on (hereinafter referred to as "That Site That Shall Not Be Named" or "TSTSNBN"). I was interested to see that SRAM have finally acknowledged that their front derailleur is crap and needed a major redesign.

All good, but the twits have gone and made it out of some material that's even lighter than the current one!

I mean, if I read the "article" - and I use that term loosely, as TSTSNBN seems to have abandoned most pretences of having any sort of journalistic standard since it was bought out by a large publishing house a couple of years back - and it tells me that the lightweight titanium cage that has caused so many problems has been replaced by a steel and alloy one. That's good - the heavier material should work better!

But not only that! They have also articulated the cage (a la the M952 XTR front derailleur that I put on my X.0 MTB because SRAM's MTB offering was always crap) and have added a built in chain keeper/catcher.

Now this is where things get really cool ... The net additional weight for all of this trickery??? According to TSTSNBN - 0g.

That's right, those clever little elves in SRAM's marketing ... sorry, will rewrite that ...
    Those clever little elves in SRAM's tech department have added all these neat little bits and pieces, yet the weight of the component hasn't changed! Wow!! I wonder what new material they have invented that lets them achieve this?? My suspicion is that it is actually made out of a very common organic material known commonly as "Bullsh*t" - but it certainly looks nice and shiny and new!

I would of course love to post this on the forum on TSTSNBN, but suspect that I'd get the same sort of "it's the anodising" platitude from the "author" of the "article" as I got when I challenged him on regurgitating SRAM marketing crap before ... and I suspect that neither the editors and publisher of TSTSNBN nor 99% of readers there would give a toss anyhow (I think that most readers who do care have already migrated way from there anyhow ...) Best to just walk away ...

OK, rant over ... that feels better and saves my co-workers from having me blather on at them about this ...   ;D

Another example of a mediocre group being called  'premium'. Only two things you can measure in a shop, weight and price. 'It's light' also means, 'it breaks!!'.

FD will work better, probably, only took them 4 years to fix their crappy FD. Still is crappy with 2012 Force/Rival/apex.

Some pro teams were offered 2012 red, they still bought Di2..that says a lot.

Counted the cogs..still 10...even shimano sees 11 in their future(2013, 11s DA).

Atleast the new red is .......black.....
  • ReplyReply
  • Qui si Parla Campagnolo

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 09:28 »
    Didn't really feel like posting a new thread for this but ...

The new Red has this unadorned matt finish, modelled here by Katusha. I am still unable to decide whether I think it looks cheap or like an unfinished prototype.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6243
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 14:38 »
    I am still unable to decide whether I think it looks cheap or like an unfinished prototype.
    It looks like a cheap, unfinished prototype! :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Recent Posts

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Joelsim
    [December 12, 2017, 23:39]

Re: Team Aqua Blue News by Leadbelly
    [December 12, 2017, 17:04]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Leadbelly
    [December 12, 2017, 16:21]