froome19

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2029
  • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
Snooker - World Champs 2015
« on: January 13, 2013, 16:38 »
The Masters are upon us:

Live here for those in Britain: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/16556502
Snoooker seemed to have lost a bit of its magic without Ronnie but the sport is on the up I would say. It is certainly an open tournament, loved Selby's UK championship win but Trump is a force not to be trifled with and Robertson as well will certainly feature. Then you have Williams, Mcguire etc the list goes on. Its why I like the Masters as everyone is top quality and effectively anyone can win.

Some Snooker videos about current situation:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/20957977
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/20957976
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 22:08 by froome19 »
    RIP Keith

froome19

• Classics Winner
    Re: Snooker
    « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 16:40 »
    Robertson talks about his Masters defence:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/20972600
    "Defending it is something that few players have done," Robertson told BBC Sport. "The way the standard is now, it is very difficult to defend titles.
    "You have to play well from the start. Only a world class player can win it."
    Robertson, who added the Masters to his 2010 world crown, starts the invitational event for the world's top 16-ranked players against China's Ding Junhui on Sunday.
    The Melbourne-born left-hander believes the Masters is snooker's second most prestigious tournament, even though it is not a ranking event.
    "The Masters is the biggest tournament after the World Championship as nearly every player is a tournament winner," said the 30-year-old.

It is immensely hard to defend, would be a great achievement to pull it off.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 16:45 »
    Cricket, darts, snooker.. You English sure have a weird definition of what constitutes as a sport.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 16:51 »
    Snooker is a sport of immense skill and talent. Unlike say..Speed Skating :fp :P

Currently Ding has Robertson on the ropes, had a chance to take the winning frame but mucked it up. Still the 2011 winner has the ascendancy over last year's winner.

And..very good pot there, he is on the reds and black. This should be his game and an early exit for the defending champion. :wave

• ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    « Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 16:54 »
    Hey, I was just about to write a post about the brilliant (for us Dutch) speed skating EC we just had.

I have to admit, it is very difficult and I suck at snooker. Still, there's a lot of things I'd rather do than watch snooker in my spare time ;)
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 17:04 »
    Well as ashamed as I am to admit it I can barely skate. I have always been awful at it. My father came from Canada where he played Ice Hockey at a high level in his youth and all my family enjoy it, but I just cant abide it  :embarrassed

On the other hand I am pretty useful with a snooker cue.  :D

And Robertson comes back level effectively with Ding. Ding went into reds and could not get on any. Robertson took his chance and now it is up to him to take the game to a deciding frame.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 17:08 »
    Deciding frame here :fanfare

Last 2 winners of this tournament. One has to go out. One frame to decide it all.  :D
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 17:17 »
    And there it is :win :woohoo

Robertson does it. Comes back from near certain defeat and has saved his title defence.
    And is now on his way to a fine century. Just potted a magnificent rebound of the side cushion.

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5778
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 19:38 »
    I only very rarely follow Snooker, it isn't shown on any channel I get. So I can't remember who any player is (I do recognize some faces though).
    Having looked Robertson up, I remember seeing him play a few times. Certainly one of the better ones I've seen, so good luck to him.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 19:48 »
    Yep Roberston should go well. The Masters is only for the top 16 in the world though so every game is a battle with never any clear favourite. I would not claim to be an expert on snooker but the favourites for this tournament should be Robertson who is 5th in the world. Also Selby who won the last big tournament and is 1st in the world. Trump is the new star of snooker and has been stunning the snooker world for a while now. He was 1st until Selby won the Uk championships. I would say those 3 are probably the biggest favourites, but Higgins is one of the greatest players of all time and should do well likewise Maguire, Murphy and Willliams.

Currently it is Allen V Davis. Allen is certainly the favourite but it is a tight one. Allen is still young and looks to be a talent though he has a reputation as a tad feisty. He lost narrowly to Trump in the UK champs final in 2011 and could go far here though I dont see him beating all those other top players. Davis is a dark horse though and has shown himself capable of beating top guns a couple of times. I dont know all that much about snooker though, just follow Ronnie and the big tournaments but when I do follow it I cant help but admire the subtlety of the sport.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 16:39 »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/16556502

Higgins V Carter. Higgins just needs to win this final frame so Carter is up against it.
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 258
    • Awards: 2014 & 2015 Official Prediction Game ChampReigning TDF Prediction Champ
    « Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 19:37 »
    Cmon Dotty
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 21:37 »
    Maguire is the favourite surely, but Dott is in a strong position in this frame. Poor shot to pot the cue ball but Maguire clips the red heavily and one or two more reds potted and Dott could level the game.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 22:31 »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/21029345
    Barry Hawkins did nicely against Trump but eventually Trumpt battled through to set up an enticing encounter with Graeme Dott. Dott's defeat of Maguire was a great moment I really thought he deserved it and I would not be complaining if he repeats his victory against Trump.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/21020435

Whilst Ricky Walden battled really valiantly against Murphy but Walden just could not piece it all together in the end and Murphy seems to have capitalised. Murphy missed a blinder with the match seemingly won but in fact Walden currently needs a snooker to reverse it. Dont think he will do it, but after coming back from 4-1 it showed great resolve by Walden.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/16556502
    Shame I have exams next week as otherwise I would have liked to go to Ali Pali over the weekend.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 22:43 »
    Ricky is such a legend :win
    Really love the guy. And then he went to the extent of declaring a foul on himself which lost him the match
    :pray

So far only Dott's win has gone against what you may have expected and even then it was not all that much of a surprise.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 22:44 »
    Come on Stuart.

Brilliant Match but full credit to Selby for his comeback. Odds on favourite to win now though seeing he has won 4 on the trott. All the matches so far have been really close and this one will be surely down to the line.

Unlucky earlier on for Matthew Stevens who could not take it to the finishing line either against Williams.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 22:47 »
    Stuart misses an easy blue. It is clear that the pressure has got to him and Selby will certainly gobble up and opportunities presented his way. It seems bleak for Bingham atm I am afraid.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 23:00 »
    And that is it. Bingham seems bemused and he has a right to be. He probably cant seem to figure out how he lost the match. Really feel for the guy :hug
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 23:10 »
    This thread is turning into a monologue  :cheesy

Anyways great Snooker earlier on today with a fantastic fighting win by Robertson ahead of Allen.
    And what a shot this was: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/21069651
    So the defending champion is still in this tournament.

Currently it seems like Higgins will finally wrap up this match against Murphy... actually no he misses a pot and now Murphy is back with a chance :woohoo Higgins still a frame ahead but Murphy into the reds and only a couple more pots needed and he will have sealed the frame. Will make an exciting final frame. Murphy already came back from 4-1 down here so this final frame is probably very hard to call..
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 23:30 »
    And Higgins can not believe it. He misses a simple blue and that is the match with Murphy clearing up the table and winning the frame and making his way into the Semi final. Higgins is surely enraged with himself after what at 4-1 and then 51 ahead should have been his win. But then again nothing has been certain in this year's masters so far.
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2014 & 2015 Official Prediction Game ChampReigning TDF Prediction Champ
    « Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 15:28 »
    Cmon Dotty
  • ReplyReply

• Archieboy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 21:19 »
    Dotty going ok in his semi.

Cmon Dotty
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 21:26 »
    Dott is a legend :win

Robertson would be the favourite for the final I think. But if Selby gets back in this then that momentum could give him the upper hand. Dott's too lose though.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 23:51 »
    What a match. Selby now back up to 4-4 and this frame has been epic.
    Dott required a snooker to force a re-spotted black. He managed it and now it is all or nothing..
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 20:28 »
    Selby ahead but I would not be surprised if we see more than one comeback in this match.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 22:49 »
    Robertson has come back well. But Selby is looking good for this frame and that would put him only one frame away from victory with Robertson 3 behind him.

Now he has a difficult blue. This could be the turning point in this frame and maybe even in the whole match.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 22:50 »
    Robertson back now at the table. And a very good shot to exploit the red at the opposite end of the table but he ends up on nothing and the pendulum may swing again..
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 23:04 »
    Selby close to being one frame away from winning. Robertson requires 2 snookers with only blue, pink and black in play. It is not impossible for Robertson to win all of the last 4 frames.. but it is unlikely, especially as Selby has played good snooker tonight.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 18:33 »
    And what a tournament it was :win

I guess I will be back for the World Champs.. until then :wave

Review of Tournament: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/21112123

Selby wins: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/21121289
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 22:31 »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/17035273

Final of the Welsh Open the last frame, been an epic final so far and I am really hoping that Bingham triumphes
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts