collapse

ram

Equal Prize Money
« on: January 14, 2013, 11:30 »
The UCI Management Committee has approved a proposal for equal prize money for men and women at all UCI World Championships.

Coming into effect from January 2013, this decision applies to all of cycling’s disciplines, with the exception of the road team time trial, whose prize money is funded by a contribution from the UCI WorldTour’s reserve and solidarity fund.

UCI President Pat McQuaid welcomed the decision, saying no distinction should be made between the achievements of men and women: “The Management Committee’s approval is a simple but very important step forward in our effort to guarantee a healthy and fair future for our sport.”

The first UCI World Championships in 2013 will be for cyclo-cross in Louisville (USA) on February 2 and 3.

link

All I'll say is, I'm definitely doubtful. It's not a charity, it's a business.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11190
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Re: Equal Prize Money
    « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 11:33 »
    the bay side crits were equal  prize money which was nice to hear
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

ram

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 12:04 »
    I'll be accused all sorts, but I don't think it has at all worked in tennis, and I don't think it will work here.

If women's cycling has to improve, maybe professionalising the sport is the first step rather than token moves aimed at headline grabbing. If it remains semi professional as it is, then...
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 12:28 »
    I dont have a problem with Cycling Worlds equal prize money. Womens cycling is usually competitive and even Vos doesn't get it her own way sometimes, whereas Tennis where the womens standard of play is terrible and the short one sided matches etc maybe not in that. 

I have an open mind depending on the particular sport.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11190
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 12:31 »
    I still do not get why women should be paid any different to men, but I see Ram´s point re money involved ie being semi professional needs to be fixed 1st.

If you really look womens cycling can be lot more attacking than the mens over a whole season -results do not show the racing
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2504
    « Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 12:36 »
    It doesn't really hurt anyone either though. In cycling (as opposed to tennis), prize money is pretty much completely irrelevant to men. The people who win the rainbow jersey get plenty of sponsorship money coming their way, compared to which the prize money is next to nothing. In women's cycling however, there is far less money, so the boost in prize money certainly could help some teams and riders.

This is not the way to make women's cycling more professional, but I agree with JSG that in principle women and men should not be paid differently. This won't fix anything, but it's a nice enough gesture (even if it is aimed exclusively at getting some fancy headlines).
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 12:57 »
    I still do not get why women should be paid any different to men, but I see Ram´s point re money involved ie being semi professional needs to be fixed 1st.

If you really look womens cycling can be lot more attacking than the mens over a whole season -results do not show the racing
    Which part of the sport raises the money and interest? Really. I'd be surprised if one in ten cycling fans watched the women's race. It's headline grabbing.

I'll pick the example of the English women's cricket team. Is the prize money comparable to the men? flip no. But they've moved to a far more professional set up that actually helps their cricket (the ECB facilitates the England players like Charlotte Edwards to coaching kids and have a career). Do that, and it's actually amounting to something.

Rather plan something viable, and not just UCI, than something which means nothing.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4023
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 13:50 »
    I dont have an issue with it being equal prize money for the World Championships.

The world champ of the sport should get the same prize ... women or men.

I dont have an issue with commercial races giving different prize money for different requirements, different sponsors, different business approaches etc - but the worlds should be equal.

Good move I think.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 13:54 »
    I think its a bit of  a PR grabber by the UCI, make it seem like they are actually doing something for womens cycling, when they arent really addressing the fundemental issues.

How much is the prize money for being world champion anyway?
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 14:02 »
    Didn't know there was a prize money till now(and I'm guessing flip all). I'd rather see them professionalising the sport than say we're equal cos of equal money, that's patent balls. And would much rather the equal money business not go into FW or RVV like races either. Prize money alone sorts nothing out.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: 2020 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by Leadbelly
    [January 19, 2020, 20:01]

Re: Santos Tour Down Under by Joelsim
    [January 19, 2020, 14:01]

Re: Santos Tour Down Under by Drummer Boy
    [January 19, 2020, 13:54]

Re: Santos Tour Down Under by Drummer Boy
    [January 19, 2020, 13:25]

Re: Santos Tour Down Under by search