collapse

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
  • Road Captain
  • Liked: 841
  • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
Moderators!
« on: February 02, 2012, 00:43 »
If you have a problem with the moderating,  feel that decisions have wrongly gone against you, that issues are being overlooked etc etc  etc, this is the place to bring it.

Hopefully wont get to 2202 posts.

Just a random number I plucked out of the air that ;D
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 19:38 by Slow Rider, Reason: Removed the all-caps title. It annoyed me. »
    Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

craig1985

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 0
    Re: MODERATORS !
    « Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 02:24 »
    Heard rumours that people were looking at my services. Will work for one free coffee everyday  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    Re: Moderators !
    « Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 00:33 »
    re: Discussion over moderation of Global Warning Thread.

Thread here http://velorooms.com/about-the-forum/re-moderation-discussion-re-global-warning-thread/

Relevant Action taken
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 00:35 »
    Damn you admins for doing your job (joke.. :o)
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 00:36 »
    watch it. I have a headache ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Straydog

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 01:27 »
     :o....just seen the Hitch is a mod here....I feel my days may be numbered :P
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 01:29 »
    :o....just seen the Hitch is a mod here....I feel my days may be numbered :P

lol fear not, this place is totally different from that other place. Everything from CN stays in CN.
  • ReplyReply

• Straydog

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 01:49 »
    lol fear not, this place is totally different from that other place. Everything from CN stays in CN.

phew....does that work both ways? If we get all chummy here can I still call you names over there? ;)

p.s. I did actually send you a pm over there....don't know if you have got it yet
  • ReplyReply

• scribe

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 00:52 »
    I would like to go ahead and throw my hat in the ring for moderator duties!
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Proud owner of Vacansoleil
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 16
    « Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 01:04 »
    I would like to go ahead and throw my hat in the ring for moderator duties!

Not sure if that's the ideal first post, dude. ::)

But welcome anyway. ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Rock On and keep the Faith

scribe

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 01:07 »
    I am pretty harmless, and very fair minded.

I MIGHT occasionally use the term dingleberry, and will allow it to be used by other members.  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Proud owner of Vacansoleil
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 16
    « Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 01:33 »
    I am pretty harmless, and very fair minded.

I MIGHT occasionally use the term dingleberry, and will allow it to be used by other members.  ;)

Sadly, I'm old enough to remember what a dingleberry is, :-[
  • ReplyReply

• scribe

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 01:37 »
    See? It's OK and harmless.  ;)

Let's get some SPRING going!! I am ready for some cycling!
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 08:32 »
    Just seen that I can't report a moderator to the moderators. Unjust, I tell thee.

And the obligatory smiley for clarification that it's not serious ;) Not that the blueys would mind.
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 162
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    « Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 08:47 »
    oh well, you can always send a PM to one of the moderators...
  • ReplyReply
  • About Masters Club racing:
    ".. if I can't double the petrol money, I'm headin over the mountains instead" - Michael Fox, Team SAS

ram

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 08:58 »
    That's too rational.
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 162
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    « Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 10:35 »
    That's too rational.

Sorry - call it a lapse
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1904
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 19:24 »
    Is there a way to address the mods as a group without making it public?

I'm not sure if PMs can be sent as a group message or not, and even so, I'm not sure who is running things behind-the-scenes these days.

There are just some observations I wanted offer.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 20:50 »
    Fus has pm'd you with the staff list so you can reply to all.

not sure if there is a way to be honest.

I get pm's and am here and there, but ive had a family bereavement and now my grandmother is in weeks to live territory so ive not been around much.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3889
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 18:43 »
    I asked in the chat but I figure some people (dim) might  miss it

is there any way I can add award jerseys and trophies to people for OPG, do I maybe need a special permission

because I was thinking #pink #yellow #red #rainbow to keep it interesting for people who are far behind

and have a reigning champ thing for the GTs like the real thing. So the 2014 champion loses the jersey if they do not win again the following year.

and also gold silver bronze medals for overall ranking

because the way the game is now, if you miss a couple races or just flip up, there's no real point in continuing
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1300
    « Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 11:24 »
    Okay so on the Tour of Rwanda thread, my post was deleted for being supposedly off-topic.

Prior to that I discussed it in PM with a poster (won't give his name  :-x), had to justify myself and he promised my post would not be deleted.

I don't find it honest at all. When you give your word, you keep it. I demand my post be restored straightway and everything will be all right.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9448
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 11:56 »
    I don't know the exact wording of what you had agreed on with said user in advance, but the intern agreement was to consider your post as "okay", as long as it does not lead to a political discussion in the race thread.

Therefor only after another user responded to your post (contradicting your statements), it (and also his post) was deleted to avoid the emergence of further controversies
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1300
    « Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 16:11 »
    What I've been told in PM was that there was no reason to remove my post, period. There was no comma's, no "unlesses".

Besides, it's pretty hypocritical to delete it after another poster responded. Why not straightway then? Or you could just warn that from then on no such post would be tolerated. But censorship! I don't like that at all.

I regret, you, guys, have not been honest with me. 

What is weird is that I gave my opinion on Rwanda on the politics thread and DB-Coop gave my post a "like", so I was surprised he then contradicted me. http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=62.720
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9448
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 16:41 »
    Besides, it's pretty hypocritical to delete it after another poster responded. Why not straightway then?

yes, it should have been handled differently. Next time we will do so.

And I don't know enough about the facts to comment on it, and it's also not supposed to be discussed in this thread, but you may agree that there's quite a difference in arguing that "By 2000 [...] [it was] discovered that the plane was shot down by surface-to air missiles – SAM-16 – made in the USSR and sold by the former USSR to Uganda in 1987, which reinforce presumption on the RPF." (as in the thread you mentioned) and claiming "Rwanda is currently governed by the biggest living murderer: Paul Kagame. [...] Remember the attack on Pres. Habyarimana, sparking the Genocide" (as in the now deleted post) - both, in terms of what is said, and also regarding the tone
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1737
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 17:55 »
    What is weird is that I gave my opinion on Rwanda on the politics thread and DB-Coop gave my post a "like", so I was surprised he then contradicted me. http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=62.720

All in all I mainly wanted some sources on some of the things that is disputed. As far as that other "like" it is mainly because I find the topic interesting, any sources is always good of cause, not that I agree completely with everything you stated in the same post. As far as Kagame and the genocide goes, my own guess would be that the plane was shot down by Hutu extremist as a response to a fear that Kagame's forces would end up re-establishing "the old rule" I think the genocide was surely planned, not planned to a level of who kills who, but who gets killed and that there is a lot of weapons in the country, no coincidence. As far as Kagame's rule now goes it seems very undemocratic, and as far as that goes surely you could state that we should not see a race take place there because of that. He got rid of the ID cards, which was a good thing, but else he is just another dictator.

As far as deleted post goes I don't see where the line goes, but it seems to be a good discussion. As an example it seems pointless to draw the line where nobody can respond to a message, so as far as leaving Echoes message but no one responding it makes little sense to me.

The role of the race thread is interesting too, is it strictly meant to be a news thread? Or can the races be debated in them too? If the races can be debated I can see no scenario where Echoes post would be out of line. How is questioning if we should race in a dictatorship different than debating some other ethical aspect of racing, say money in Tour of Dubai.

This comes to my main point, why not simply let it derail, and then split it off if it takes up more than 3-4 posts? That way if it is worth talking about it will get talked about, and no posts will get deleted simply from being slightly "off-topic" I get that we want to try and keep it clean and not have people yelling about Politics for pages in the race threads, which is why this approach seem to work.

As far as the handling it seems weird that there, unlike in any other post I have seen was no warning before stuff just was removed. To be completely honest at first I felt slightly insulted by this, secondly, when I realized Echoes post had gone too, I felt bad for Echoes who I'm sure had a point with him posting. I also thought at both of these instances, to 1. Write and complain about what I thought was a bit of a pointless removal of a comment that basically just responded to claims by another comment (which by that by definition must be within the topic, had previous post not been removed, which I thought at that time) 2. Write Echoes to get him to PM the answer to the questions I posed, and say sorry for his post being deleted. I in the end decided to do neither, until I saw the discussion in here now.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2466

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 19:13 »
    http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=6712.0

Solved?

To me it was fine as was, apart from how it happened, but I think part of Echoes motivation for posting where he did, and not in "Politics" or GD was that it was intended to spark a discussion on how we should treat races that are used as marketing campaigns for "bad people", am I right?

I think it was race related, for that reason. What I really want to know is where is the line on what can be posted in race topics. Just news?opinions on the action? opinion of the parcours? Opinion of the race setup? it is very much unclear for me at the moment.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 19:35 »
    To me it was fine as was, apart from how it happened, but I think part of Echoes motivation for posting where he did, and not in "Politics" or GD was that it was intended to spark a discussion on how we should treat races that are used as marketing campaigns for "bad people", am I right?

I think it was race related, for that reason. What I really want to know is where is the line on what can be posted in race topics. Just news?opinions on the action? opinion of the parcours? Opinion of the race setup? it is very much unclear for me at the moment.

There is no clear rule, that's true; it's just common sense in my view. We wouldn't discuss Russia's involvement in the Ukraine conflict in the Katusha thread, nor Belgian seperatism in the Ronde van Vlaanderen thread, nor Kagame's actions in the Rwanda thread.

For me the parcours, the riders and perhaps even the finances of the organising party are directly related to race and can thus be discussed in its thread; the politics of the country it is organised in are not and should go to a different thread.

If some discussion is at risk of derailing a thread from its topic then moderators have the right to remove those posts or split them into a different thread. Of course that's highly subjective, but that comes with the territory.

Do feel free to challenge decisions made by the moderators in this thread though; we all benefit from members providing constructive criticism to the mods.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    Re: Moderators!
    « Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 20:35 »
    we all benefit from members providing constructive criticism to the mods.

You are about to regret that one  :lol . I would suggest that on occasions where there is a relation to the topic, it is left there, and if expanded on, by others, it is moved to own thread. I consider deleting comments a quite harsh thing to do, and imo that should only really be done if people are doing things on purpose that aims to destroy the forum, ie. trolling and such. As far as of topic posts, let it stay and if it sparks a conversation of its own split the topic would be my ideal way of doing it.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    Re: Moderators!
    « Reply #29 on: August 16, 2016, 23:25 »
    As we do not even have a thread for posting announcements like these - which shows, luckily, how rare they are - I'll use this one.

Due to continuing doping comments on shoutboxes despite many warnings from staff, VR member Il Grillo has been banned from using the shoutboxes. He can still use the rest of the forum, but cannot read or post in any shoutbox or livechat.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Gree - Tour of Guangxi by Leadbelly
    [Today at 19:23]

Re: Japan Cup by search
    [Today at 12:37]

Re: Gree - Tour of Guangxi by search
    [Today at 10:32]

Re: Gree - Tour of Guangxi by search
    [Today at 10:25]

Re: Full Mens Rosters 2018 by Leadbelly