collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11131
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Andre Greipel 100 wins and counting
« on: January 28, 2013, 11:22 »

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-greipel-celebrates-yet-another-milestone-at-the-tour-down-under

Congratulation to the Gorilla on 100 wins

Some may say they came in SSR but 100 wins and counting is a great achievement,  I also love the way that Greipal becomes a dom during the cobbled races and if required in GT´s seems a great team mate from all reports.

add photo´s and videos if you want
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    Re: Andre Greipel 100 wins and counting
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 11:34 »
    Its not Cavs fault that HTC or Columbia picked him in front of the Gorrilla for the Tour and the  bigger races.  Still, a good effort now he's getting an armchair ride at last.   
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2504
    « Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 12:43 »
    Its not Cavs fault that HTC or Columbia picked him in front of the Gorrilla for the Tour and the  bigger races.  Still, a good effort now he's getting an armchair ride at last.   

Anyone else would have done the exact same thing in HTC's position: Cav is simply a bit faster than Greipel, certainly with the perfect lead-outs HTC delivered.

But Greipel is one of the best in the world of sprinters, plus as JSG says a great teammate. He's always willing to work for others, so I guess it must be easy for his teammates to sacrifice themselves for him when it's a sprint stage. I hope for a couple more years as a top-sprinter from him, and then maybe step towards an O'Grady-style classics rider / road captain / domestique?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6772
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 14:57 »
    Anyone else would have done the exact same thing in HTC's position: Cav is simply a bit faster than Greipel, certainly with the perfect lead-outs HTC delivered.

But Greipel is one of the best in the world of sprinters, plus as JSG says a great teammate. He's always willing to work for others, so I guess it must be easy for his teammates to sacrifice themselves for him when it's a sprint stage. I hope for a couple more years as a top-sprinter from him, and then maybe step towards an O'Grady-style classics rider / road captain / domestique?

I third this. Seeing Greipel riding tempo on the front of a bunch early in a mountain stage is a marvellous thing. He may not be the most eloquent rider out there (still better than Cavendish) but he is a fantastic sprinter and teammate and not at all a moaner.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

sublimit

• National Champion
    « Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 15:10 »
    Gorrila is a more rounded rider than Cav for sure,  Cav is ruthless though and can win freestyle while Greipel usually looks lost without a leadout.

Greipel fans are the biggest moaners IMO  :lol

• ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 861
    « Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 17:42 »
    An awesome talent for sure, and deserves his 100 wins. It's a shame we can't have a conversation about Greipel without also mentioning Cavendish but I guess that's just how the adversarial world of sprinting works.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 19:25 »
    An awesome talent for sure, and deserves his 100 wins. It's a shame we can't have a conversation about Greipel without also mentioning Cavendish but I guess that's just how the adversarial world of sprinting works.

Yeah, I know. It's like we can't see Greipel as his own man and sometimes even dismiss him as an also-ran. But they're diametrically opposed and of the two I think Greipel is harder to dislike.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 02:15 »
    100 sh*tty race wins, not half bad with a clutch in WT. Well played Gorilla.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 02:24 »
    And with 100 wins he will now have been tested nearly as much as a certain american :D
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    « Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 12:28 »
    Yeah, I know. It's like we can't see Greipel as his own man and sometimes even dismiss him as an also-ran. But they're diametrically opposed and of the two I think Greipel is harder to dislike.

Yes, Gorrila comes across as such a humble guy so impossible to dislike to be fair.    Germany certainly know how to breed sprinters.   

Particularly impressed with him during last years Tour where he took defeat on the chin and didn't go overboard on the occasions he won.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 20:45 »
    Yep the British magazines all seem to love to feature him and it is not hard to imagine why. He seems modest but realistic and then there is the fact that he is presented as somewhat timid and unaggressive in sprints.

And Greipel is probably more capable than Cav, his win from that breakaway will always remain in my mind to show what he can do. When he pulls on the front for the example he really makes a difference, Cav when he pulled on the front was more of an opportunity to announce the rainbow jersey on the again. :fp
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4001
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 00:21 »
    yeah I never used to like him ... not sure why not, just one of those things

but he has really grown on me - turned me into a bit of a fan. 

His willingness to work on the front and do things for his teammates in a way that many other 'top' class sprinters simply dont do ... I love that.

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 19:11 »
    Well, this is our best attempt at a Greipel fan page so far, so I have to say that the Gorilla has been exemplary again in the Eneco Tour this week.

Much was made of Lotto-Belisol's ongoing restructuring during today's commentary but Greipel is surely Sergeant's best buy in years.

One of the world's top sprinters but also a water carrier, anti-doper and, as today showed, a pretty spanky rouleur when he needs to get up there.

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12806
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 19:57 »
    yep, another very good performance by him today, he really seems to like that belgian type of racing. That stage win in De Panne a couple of years ago is still one of his best. He vould very well develop into a serious contender for the spring classics, at least for the flatter ones
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 00:25 »
    yep - I really like the way Greipel approaches races.  He rides hard at everything ... good team mate, good guy.

Great display from him this week
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12806
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    an interesting statement Greipel made in a recent interview with Cyclingnews:

A stage in the Giro and a stage in the Tour is a good goal. I’m always realistic, I always say it’s a Grand Tour, it has 21 stages, you take two time trials out plus a team time trial. So there are 18 guys who can win a stage, you have 19 teams and if you can be one of them to win a stage, that’s more than enough.

I guess he means more like "enough to be satisfied", but still...maybe it's not the perfect way for a sprinter to approach a race, and he also doesn't seem to be as eager anymore, and taking as many risks as he did a couple of years ago - but I kinda like that attitude I must say.
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 861
    That's sort of always been how Greipel works. He seems to go against the classic image of the hotheaded adrenaline-fueled sprinter that is so well embodied by his chief rival and former teammate. I've never seen Andre show the fierce hunger for victory that emanates from Mark, and I do think you can frame that as a criticism, but a level temperament has its benefits.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    it hasnt seemed to do him any harm anyway  :D
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 16:10 »
    Well, I had to bump this after today's Eneco Tour stage.

You just cannot find fault with this guy. Takes the big risk of a later start to the year, enabling the rest of the team to grab some limelight, bags fifteen wins anyway - including the Champs-Elysées - and then works his arse off for his GC guys whenever the sprinting is over.

I was rooting for him today just because, for a brief moment, I thought he might go off and win solo. What a sight that would be.

Instead he sat up and put the hammer down for Wellens who, thanks to Rostock's finest, goes into tomorrow's pivotal stage with a nice cushion on all but one of his big rivals.

Sheer class.  :Stars:
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 789
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 16:18 »
    Well, I had to bump this after today's Eneco Tour stage.

You just cannot find fault with this guy. Takes the big risk of a later start to the year, enabling the rest of the team to grab some limelight, bags fifteen wins anyway - including the Champs-Elysées - and then works his arse off for his GC guys whenever the sprinting is over.

I was rooting for him today just because, for a brief moment, I thought he might go off and win solo. What a sight that would be.

Instead he sat up and put the hammer down for Wellens who, thanks to Rostock's finest, goes into tomorrow's pivotal stage with a nice cushion on all but one of his big rivals.

Sheer class.  :Stars:
    https://twitter.com/Doefnix/status/632192279743217665

Someone agrees...

He would have looked great in this shirt:

Respect.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 00:56 »
    absoloutely

you have to admire the guy.   fabulous spirit.
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 789
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 09:07 »
    Funny thing about Greipel is he looked to be heading to the same carreer trajectory as this fellow:

Olaf Ludwig, for them who havent heard from him:
    http://www.dewielersite.net/db2/wielersite/coureurfiche.php?coureurid=5969

Perhaps the most complete one day rider/sprinter ever born, wasnt it for the Iron Curton to hold back his carreer in the pro peloton.

Ludwig came into the pro peloton as a feared sprinter, already 'aged' at 30 years old, sprinting to wins lef right and centre and evolved over the years more and more into a cobbled/classics man, just like Greipel has done the last two years.

And then Greipel storms to 4 sprint victories in the Tour AND is paying his teammates back for all the work they have done for him the last years, gotta admire him for that.

Greipel, 'the not wanted B sprinter' at HTC showing Bob Stapleton was wrong all along.

Gorilla Powerrrrrrrr
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by t-72
    [Today at 12:44]

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Drummer Boy
    [Today at 01:34]

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Drummer Boy
    [August 17, 2019, 19:23]

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by Drummer Boy
    [August 17, 2019, 19:07]