collapse

AG

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 4020
  • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
Re: Darkside - General news
« Reply #1140 on: November 06, 2014, 12:10 »
I could take that as a challenge  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #1141 on: November 08, 2014, 09:04 »
    Andrew Schleck tells CyclingTips:

For me, I am proud of the results I did, but I am more proud of the fair play ... I don’t include doping in there because I was always clean during my whole career.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/11/schleck-i-will-stay-involved-in-cycling-i-love-it-too-much-to-let-it-go/

This is a small but significant statement. With the spotlight on him as a future GT winner Schleck, A has always been somewhat equivocal with regard to doping but, now that his career is over and he presumably considers himself safe from scrutiny, he has boldly proclaimed his credentials as a clean cyclist.

The sporting narrative had established him as a golden boy, a palatable face who spoke good English, and despite a couple of dubious career moves and a pee-up with O'Grady, he seemed to possess the status of untouchable royalty.

Nevertheless, it seems improbable that he could have been clean when one considers his results, the people around him, the sport's reputation and the competition he faced while recording his best performances.

That said, much of his senior career ran parallel with the bio-passport scheme and, unlike his older brother, he has evaded all suspicions based on qualitative evidence. Will it be said now that he was protected or lucky-cautious or cycling's unfulfilled great white legend?
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1142 on: November 08, 2014, 10:08 »
    The Leipheimer Smack Down: 19 year old “disappointed” with former hero

In which a frank exchange of views on Levi Leipheimer still tearing it up at informal local races, the gist of which equates to whether or not you think old dopers should disappear quietly.

On the one hand, there are those with a tissue boxful of admiration for the massive-headed Montanian who argue that Leipheimer brings much needed publicity to such events and the fact that he wins shows that his is clearly a grand talent sine qua non.

On the other, the self-confessed doper, who definitely cheated at Postal and Discovery and probably Astana but definitely no way not at RadioShack, took the prize money and gave a very public demonstration of morality that many fear was too nuanced for the average American mind.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1143 on: November 08, 2014, 11:02 »
    its an interesting point.

While they are doing it, they all say 'leave us alone, we dont want to talk about it' ... but the minute it comes out, they all want to talk about it and justify themselves  :fp
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1144 on: November 08, 2014, 11:32 »
    its an interesting point.

While they are doing it, they all say 'leave us alone, we dont want to talk about it' ... but the minute it comes out, they all want to talk about it and justify themselves  :fp

Actually it's not what he's saying, it's what he's doing. Going out and winning these local races. A lot of folks don't like it.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #1145 on: November 08, 2014, 11:37 »
    cmon Larri - he's clean now.   He is winning them on talent alone     :angel   

he just turns up to these events to support his mates and spread the word about how the choices he made were bad and nobody should do that ;)

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11183
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #1146 on: November 10, 2014, 09:26 »
     A bit similar to Laz comments above, http://crankpunk.com/2014/11/10/matt-cooke-interview-you-would-never-know-their-names-if-they-had-never-taken-drugs/

http://www.procyclingstats.com/team/navigators_Insurance_Cycling_Team_2007

some really interesting names there, and think Matt will have spoken to these guys after, so Laz mate whike maybe a charger not sure they got together that much, so name I would not expect to see

Quote from: Matt Cooke
    Of course I’ve never taken PED’s but I was told a few years after leaving Navigators by someone who was a teammate at the time “Oh you didn’t know? We were all using.”

He was exaggerating, not everyone on that team was using PEDs but many were and it blew my mind when he told me. So then I think back and remember instances in specific races where guys would make a big move in a race and I was cross eyed from trying to go with them. Or two guys I later found were juiced up racing each other for seconds in a TT and other blowing the field away. Stuff like that gets you mad because you know you could have done super well in a certain race had you not been going up against a guy who was geared up.

After Nav’s broke up at the end of 2007 guys went everywhere and the ones who were the big users kept using and kept at it on their new teams for several years after that. Those names I can’t not say right now because I don’t have photos or taped conversations but I do know it happened and authorities are being notified.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:47 by L'arri »
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1147 on: November 10, 2014, 11:44 »
    A bit similar to Laz comments above, http://crankpunk.com/2014/11/10/matt-cooke-interview-you-would-never-know-their-names-if-they-had-never-taken-drugs/

Please do not use that horrible font. It renders the quote illegible.

Admirable stuff from Cooke. But I strongly disagree with this:

Quote from: Matt Cooke
    Fans do not like to have the curtain pulled back. They want to keep cheering for their favorite rider and not really think about what he did.

I think he makes an interesting point about rationalising and relativising doping, to the extent that people will eventually consider Cooke shrill and jealous just because he calls people out.

I think it is easy to rationalise and relativise because otherwise we have no pro sport left to follow. We have to let dopers slide because so many of them are still there, for better or worse, clean or dirty.

I will not deny, however, that whenever an individual I know to be a filthy POS wins, I get the cycling fan's equivalent of brewer's droop.

When Valverde wins, it was a sh*t race. Period. Call me a flipping hypocrite if you like, since there will be others who are also dirty but the fact remains unconfirmed, but that is the feeling I get and I won't apologise for it. It is a sh*t race when Valverde wins and it will continue to be the case for me until that sh*theel quits the sport. Meanwhile there is still a long queue of others about whom I feel the same.

So you can pull the curtain back, because otherwise cycling is a minefield and you cannot really be a truly happy fan of this sport if you have any sort of conscience and life experience and love for humanity. You can ignore it, you can just watch it and enjoy it, like we tell each other to do, but you know in your flipping soul - if you've got one - that it is bullsh*t and you are ever so right to question after every race why you bother.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:04 by L'arri »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7557
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1148 on: November 10, 2014, 16:25 »
    Not sure we've had this one already:
    http://pedalmag.com/doping-case-at-gp-cycliste-de-saguenay-italian-cyclist-tests-positive-for-epo/

#amore Luca Benedetti positive for EPO (darbopoietin) at the GP de Saguenay.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1149 on: November 10, 2014, 16:29 »
    Not sure we've had this one already:
    http://pedalmag.com/doping-case-at-gp-cycliste-de-saguenay-italian-cyclist-tests-positive-for-epo/

#amore Luca Benedetti positive for EPO (darbopoietin) at the GP de Saguenay.

It was one of those that sneaked into the UCI's document. Word is that it had been on the list for a while but I had not noticed it before last weekend.

It's remarkable that he was even using Darb (aka Aranesp or NESP). Unlike the usual rEPO, there are far more risky side effects associated with this stuff and iirc it has a longer half-life. He is the first rider to ping for Darb since 2003, which was also around the time it fell out of favour.
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2961
    • Awards: 2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #1150 on: November 10, 2014, 18:29 »
    It was one of those that sneaked into the UCI's document. Word is that it had been on the list for a while but I had not noticed it before last weekend.

According to CQ, his contract finished on 10/09 (by which I think they mean 10th Sept, but it might be 9th Oct); he hasn't ridden since 27th July, and has not been mentioned on the team's website news page since a couple of days earlier.  No announcement of his departure on http://team-amoreevita.com, so it looks like they knew about it some time ago.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1152 on: November 11, 2014, 14:45 »
    https://twitter.com/inrng/status/532124077096706048

Just a quick note: please take this 'news' with a certain amount of caution. It is in fact published notice of a corrigendum for an article originally published by Reuters in 2010.

The reason for this corrigendum is the outcome of a judicial decision but it does not specify when this decision was taken or who prompted it, only that the article has to be altered as a result.

The item explains that the original 2010 article's fourth paragraph stated that Sainz had been found guilty of possession of illegal substances (among other offences) and the judicial decision now states that Sainz was found guilty of the supply of illegal substances.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13134
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1153 on: November 12, 2014, 13:34 »
    some information about the proposed new German anti doping law...

http://www.dw.de/new-german-anti-doping-law-revealed/a-18057498

...and Degenkolb's opinion on it (in German):

http://www.hr-online.de/website/rubriken/sport/index.jsp?rubrik=6068&key=standard_document_53533069
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1154 on: November 13, 2014, 18:12 »
    some riders noone ever heard about were added to the lists of provisionally suspended and suspended riders on the UCI website.

Most remarkable is probably, that this guy busted for anabolic steroids

ROMERO ORDONEZ Fernando Mauricio

is 17 years old only
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #1155 on: November 13, 2014, 19:17 »
    and one of #androni

which explains why the silver fox went the visa route on appeal
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #1156 on: November 13, 2014, 19:20 »
    nah, Inner Ring mixed that up, Facchini was suspended by Androni back in June
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1157 on: November 17, 2014, 14:15 »
    Marco Prezzi, a veteran amateur rider, competes in a local 5km TT and tests positive for ... Cocaine, Mesterolone, EPO and Furosemide.  :o :S

http://blog.cyclingpro.it/2014/11/17/amatori-italiani-stradoparsi-epo-coca-etc-per-una-corsa-di-paese-lunga-sei-minuti/ (IT)
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #1158 on: November 17, 2014, 14:30 »
    Marco Prezzi, a veteran amateur rider, competes in a local 5km TT and tests positive for ... Cocaine, Mesterolone, EPO and Furosemide.  :o :S

http://blog.cyclingpro.it/2014/11/17/amatori-italiani-stradoparsi-epo-coca-etc-per-una-corsa-di-paese-lunga-sei-minuti/ (IT)

Wow - that is the ultimate combo. Stimulant, testosterone-derivative steroid, haemopoetic hormone and a diuretic to get rid of it all :lol

If there was ever a holy grail of doping, this is the elixir that would fill it!
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1159 on: November 17, 2014, 14:35 »
    Wow - that is the ultimate combo. Stimulant, testosterone-derivative steroid, haemopoetic hormone and a diuretic to get rid of it all :lol

If there was ever a holy grail of doping, this is the elixir that would fill it!

It is also claimed that Furosemide slows down baldness. This veteran racer was 48 years old...
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1160 on: November 17, 2014, 14:41 »

There's an ironic saying in German, "Viel hilft viel" (much helps a lot). This is the very definition of it! He almost deserves a discount on the suspension just for the sheer bravado.[1]
     1. Of course, that discount would be on 4x4 years, so he'd only get 12-14 years instead of 16. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #1161 on: November 17, 2014, 14:43 »
    There's an ironic saying in German, "Viel hilft viel" (much helps a lot). This is the very definition of it! He almost deserves a discount on the suspension just for the sheer bravado.[1]
     1. Of course, that discount would be on 4x4 years, so he'd only get 12-14 years instead of 16. ;)

And then, on his return in 12 years' time, the now-60 year old would get popped again. This time testing positive for sildenafil[2]
     2. Google it... unless you're at work, in which case Google it on your phone...
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1162 on: November 17, 2014, 15:15 »
    This appears to be our man at the start of the race in which he tested positive. Looks fit for a 48 year old.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #1163 on: November 17, 2014, 17:34 »
    This appears to be our man at the start of the race in which he tested positive. Looks fit for a 48 year old.
    You realise he's the one holding the bike...
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #1164 on: November 25, 2014, 10:52 »
    at this year's "Doha Goals", a forum for social and economic change in sports, there also was a short discussion about "The Crisis in Cycling", with Boyer, Kashechkin and Francesca Rossi

http://www.dohagoals.com/en/news/2014/11/a-case-study-the-crisis-in-cycling

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #1165 on: November 25, 2014, 11:08 »
    so Kashechkin is now an "advisor for the Minister of Industry and New Technologies for the Republic of Kazakhstan", interesting...

...that video, not so
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1166 on: November 25, 2014, 11:58 »
    so Kashechkin is now an "advisor for the Minister of Industry and New Technologies for the Republic of Kazakhstan", interesting...

...that video, not so

That is interesting because when I looked at the official website of that Oil State Vanity Project Slash Offshore Tax Dodge serious cultural event, he was listed simply as a representative of his own organisation, the imaginatively named Kashechkin Cycling Academy.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #1168 on: November 25, 2014, 13:23 »
    Ok who else thought Menchov

:lol
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #1169 on: November 25, 2014, 13:34 »
    Ok who else thought Menchov
    Not me. But now you mention it ... :rofl:
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Posts

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by LukasCPH
    [December 04, 2019, 07:54]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by Leadbelly