collapse

hiero

• National Champion
  • Liked: 535
Re: Darkside - General news
« Reply #1710 on: December 19, 2016, 18:27 »
Attention-seeking, much?
These people drag the name of proper hackers through the mud.

I think they were very disappointed at the lack of reaction to their "revelations". They just don't seem to "get it" that they didn't really reveal very much.

Along the same lines, but in reverse, further proof that Brailsford is, in some ways, an idiot:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brailsford-says-mysterious-package-contained-legal-drug-fluimucil

It fluimucil is what it was, and they had just said that YEARS ago now, this would never have been a big deal. They might have had a bit of controversy, and it would have been done and over. As it is, by being so secretive, he guaranteed it to be a continuing source of bad PR.

Being fluimucil, though, it still shows that Sky has been doing what some of us have been saying, playing legal, but pushing the envelope to the very limits.  IMO, pushing the envelope so far that they essentially pushed it into the realm of UNethical behavior. Just over the line, but still, over the line.
  • ReplyReply
  • Ubi est ignis

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5585
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1711 on: December 30, 2016, 08:27 »
    I think they were very disappointed at the lack of reaction to their "revelations". They just don't seem to "get it" that they didn't really reveal very much.
    Sorry not sorry that the average cycling fan is much more cynical and far from as easily incensed than the average US voter ... :P

Along the same lines, but in reverse, further proof that Brailsford is, in some ways, an idiot:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brailsford-says-mysterious-package-contained-legal-drug-fluimucil

It fluimucil is what it was, and they had just said that YEARS ago now, this would never have been a big deal. They might have had a bit of controversy, and it would have been done and over. As it is, by being so secretive, he guaranteed it to be a continuing source of bad PR.
    Yes, it's been a PR nightmare. Always thought Brailsford was smarter than this - and the whole thing makes a mockery of their claim of transparency.

Being fluimucil, though, it still shows that Sky has been doing what some of us have been saying, playing legal, but pushing the envelope to the very limits.  IMO, pushing the envelope so far that they essentially pushed it into the realm of UNethical behavior. Just over the line, but still, over the line.
    Of course they have. They've said so all along - they use everything that isn't explicitly illegal. The question is if they have (inadvertently or deliberately) used things that are explicitly illegal.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2016 Stölting Content Editor; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

hiero

• National Champion
    « Reply #1712 on: December 30, 2016, 15:27 »
    Sorry not sorry that the average cycling fan is much more cynical and far from as easily incensed than the average US voter ... :P
    Yes, it's been a PR nightmare. Always thought Brailsford was smarter than this - and the whole thing makes a mockery of their claim of transparency.
    Of course they have. They've said so all along - they use everything that isn't explicitly illegal. The question is if they have (inadvertently or deliberately) used things that are explicitly illegal.

Avg US voter: oy, I don't want to go there. AFAIC, Trump is serious bad news.

Transparency: well, I suppose that is so. Not quite the way I would think of it, but still this sure wasn't transparent, and they haven't been very open. Quite the opposite, which I suppose does "make a mockery . . ."

That last bit - yup - concisely said. But I'm not convinced everyone thinks that is the question. I'm pretty sure a lot of heat is because some people think that where they are pushing the envelope to is immoral, although maybe not illegal.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• National Champion
    « Reply #1713 on: December 30, 2016, 23:40 »
    Ok - and now for something new. Do you remember the knights who say Ni?

Back to seriousness for a min. Mostly, I consider the VN podcasts rather vapid. However, THIS one:
    https://soundcloud.com/user-562497687/fast-talk-ep-9-three-physiologists-walk-into-a-studio

I have to regard as juicy and full of info. At approx min 39 they are discussing "extended peaking". I highly recommend the whole conversation, beginning to end. In many ways, nothing has changed since I was racing some 30 years ago. On the other hand, some things have made massive strides of progress - like clinical testing. And, for that matter, power meters. Didn't exist when I raced. I used a heart meter and a cadence meter.

This is very related to the dark side, at least since the advent of EPO, since the dark side improvements starting with EPO have been enhancements of physical limits. Oh, phooey, that doesn't say it well.

Well, speed, and steroids, are of a different class of improvement than EPO and growth hormones. And I'm not sure how to classify same.

NVM that - go listen to the podcast. It is all about legit training, but I found it very interesting.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8421
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1714 on: January 24, 2017, 10:40 »
    it has just been announced by German NADA, that a Christoph S. tested positive for Epo in June 2015:

http://www.nada.de/de/recht/ergebnismanagement-disziplinarverfahren/nadajus-datenbank
    -> Verband -> Bund Deutscher Radfahrer -> Filtern -> Juni 2015

there's nothing official yet as German NADA does not publish full names, but according to some sources this is former #vorarlberg rider Christoph Springer.

Problem with this case (which for whatever reason was published so late) is, that he retired from pro cycling in October 2015 and joined #roth Roth-Skoda as a team manager, most likely fully aware of his positive test...

http://www.radsport-news.com/sport/sportnews_96000.htm
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1715 on: January 24, 2017, 10:44 »
    Problem with this case (which for whatever reason was published so late) is, that he retired from pro cycling in October 2015 and joined #roth Roth-Skoda as a team manager, most likely fully aware of his positive test...
    Oops.

Did the Roth-Skoda mugwumps know about it as well, or were they had?
    I'm inclined to put more faith in the former.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3182
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #1716 on: January 26, 2017, 14:04 »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/38744846

Other than being the subject of speculation and logical condundra, Usain Bolt is not usually mentioned on these boards. And this story would ordinarily have passed me by, except...

Methylhexaneamine - the substance detected in Carter's retest - is the same substance that almost caused Rui and Mario Costa to be banned in 2010.

Interestingly, WADA's classification of methylhexaneamine was adjusted in 2011.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/costa-case-reflected-in-2011-wada-prohibited-list/

The Costas, of course, ended up returning to competition in the spring of 2011 after being "provisionally suspended" for a few months.
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #1717 on: January 26, 2017, 14:10 »
    Interestingly, WADA's classification of methylhexaneamine was adjusted in 2011.
    "Oh sh*t, people actually take this stuff! Let's make it legal quickly!" :shh
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3182
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #1718 on: January 26, 2017, 14:36 »
    "Oh sh*t, people actually take this stuff! Let's make it legal quickly!" :shh

Only out of competition... The Costas' argument was "contaminated supplement"[1], and they weren't the only ones around that time.
     1. Isn't it always..?!
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1719 on: January 28, 2017, 08:09 »
    Oops.

Did the Roth-Skoda mugwumps know about it as well, or were they had?
    I'm inclined to put more faith in the former.

well, before him it was Roberto Marchetti managing the team. So - although it couldn't really get any worse - the Roth guys seem to be either blind, or there are a lot of things they don't want to see
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #1720 on: January 28, 2017, 09:50 »
    well, before him it was Roberto Marchetti managing the team. So - although it couldn't really get any worse - the Roth guys seem to be either blind, or there are a lot of things they don't want to see
    Yeah, the team evolved from Marchiol-Emisfero, the amateur team that acted as farm team for Liquigas.
    Former Marchiol riders are a.o. Michele Scarponi (no introduction needed) and Gianni da Ros - he of the 20-year ban for trafficking doping substances (that was later shortened to four years).
    So, yeah ...
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner

pastronef

• National Champion
    • Liked: 532

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10232
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1379
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #1725 on: February 10, 2017, 10:58 »
    Did someone mention the Daily Mail?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/08/wikipedia-bans-daily-mail-as-unreliable-source-for-website

:fp  :lol

Nice :D

Matt seems to have the inside info on here though

also put it in the Gen News as it fits in about 4 different threads  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #1727 on: February 10, 2017, 15:48 »
    http://www.velonews.com/2017/02/news/four-riders-snared-anti-doping-week_430462
    *co José Flober Peña Peña (EPO), 4-year ban
    *co José Daniel Bernal Garcia (EPO), 4-year ban
    *co Giovanny Manuel Baez Alvarez (EPO), 4-year ban

Compared to the other two, Baez (#epm 2010-2013) is practically a spring chicken at only 35 years of age - both Bernal and Peña are 43.

Also, *ir Rahim Emami is provisionally suspended after testing positive for anabolic androgenic steroids at the Jelajah Malaysia. As it's the second positive within 12 months for #pky Pishgaman, the team also faces a suspension.
    It's not Emami's first ADRV either, he was suspended for two years 2011-2013 already - for clenbuterol.
  • ReplyReply

• Joan

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 1
    « Reply #1728 on: February 19, 2017, 20:59 »
    Michal Brázda +
    Jan Kovář +
    from last year's Whirlpool Author
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.