collapse

hiero

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 824
Re: Darkside - General news
« Reply #1770 on: August 17, 2017, 17:06 »
Oh, Samu...

http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/uci-statement-samuel-sanchez-gonzalez/

He had said he would make a decision about the future of his career after the Vuelta. I guess he's already made his decision. Sad.
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3498
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1771 on: August 18, 2017, 10:18 »
     :o

not that Samu would ... I wasnt really in much doubt .... but that the UCI would actually do a test - and find someone out.   :o

I honestly thought they were trying so hard not to catch anyone.  Who thought they could fail at that too   :lol
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1772 on: August 18, 2017, 14:00 »

not that Samu would ... I wasnt really in much doubt .... but that the UCI would actually do a test - and find someone out.   :o

I honestly thought they were trying so hard not to catch anyone.  Who thought they could fail at that too   :lol
    Cynic.
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 334
    « Reply #1773 on: August 18, 2017, 15:01 »

AG, did you read that interview with Floyd over at "Cut N-paste"? He had a comment that is really on point here:

CN: So in your opinion little has changed?

Landis: That's not opinion. That's educated fact. Nothing has changed. I mean you look at it. On the face of it, you can see it. They gave a bunch of guys who were about to retire suspensions. It didn't change anything and management stayed the same. If people want to believe that, it's fine. They can believe whatever they want. But if they want to know the truth, I'm here to tell them that's what the deal is.

I realise (or assume at least) that he's talking about the guys from his own case, but Sanchez's case also fits this model to a tee ...

• ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9239
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1774 on: August 18, 2017, 15:25 »
    yeah, and we basically had the same with guys like Paolini, Menchov, Caruso and so on over the past years
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1452
    « Reply #1775 on: August 18, 2017, 17:55 »
    AG, did you read that interview with Floyd over at "Cut N-paste"? He had a comment that is really on point here:

CN: So in your opinion little has changed?

Landis: That's not opinion. That's educated fact. Nothing has changed. I mean you look at it. On the face of it, you can see it. They gave a bunch of guys who were about to retire suspensions. It didn't change anything and management stayed the same. If people want to believe that, it's fine. They can believe whatever they want. But if they want to know the truth, I'm here to tell them that's what the deal is.

I realise (or assume at least) that he's talking about the guys from his own case, but Sanchez's case also fits this model to a tee ...
    :angry
    Landis and the Rasmussen have some kind of competition going with regards to "who can spray more baseless accusations across the peloton" to make themselves look bigger. Now if they started supplying names and evidence and information that was possible to verify it would be of value to those who hope and work for a cleaner sport, but what they are actually doing is trying very hard to make everyone look as bad as themselves without offering anything verifiable at all to help anti-doping work.
     :angry
    I still don't respect any of them very much, but I respect the journalists and the editors that offer them a soapbox to shout from even less. Easiest thing in the world is to reprint unverifiable accusations and rumours. Journalism is conveying verified information, and journalists are those that work to verify the information before they publish it. The rest are cheap gossip-spreaders and hate-mongerers in my  opinion.  :angry
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9239
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1776 on: August 22, 2017, 07:07 »
    So where is David Drouin and why hasn't he ridden a single race for the team so far this year? That was the question I asked myself. College seemed a logical answer, but no it's a failed drugs test......

:fp

http://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/news/quebec-rider-david-drouin-fails-doping-test/

he is still fighting, blaming his brother for the positive test

https://sherbrooktimes.com/doping-the-sad-fall-of-a-beauceron/219
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6018
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1777 on: August 22, 2017, 08:30 »
    he is still fighting, blaming his brother for the positive test
    Hey, at least this brother of his actually exists. :P
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1778 on: September 11, 2017, 15:39 »
    This VN article could fit in so many threads. Basically, it says Froome is not liked very well. And of course it mentions darkside suspicions about Froome and Sky as it looks at the issue. I thought is was worth bringing here, as I know I am not the only person with ambivalent feelings towards Froome.

http://www.velonews.com/2017/09/vuelta-a-espana/british-media-shows-praise-little-fanfare-froome_447953
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1452
    « Reply #1779 on: September 11, 2017, 18:27 »
    This VN article could fit in so many threads. Basically, it says Froome is not liked very well. And of course it mentions darkside suspicions about Froome and Sky as it looks at the issue. I thought is was worth bringing here, as I know I am not the only person with ambivalent feelings towards Froome.

http://www.velonews.com/2017/09/vuelta-a-espana/british-media-shows-praise-little-fanfare-froome_447953

Not shooting the messenger, but I really started out as rather neutral towards Froome. However, as time passes I have become more and more irritated at the level of criticism he is getting, relative to the evidence - as in there are other cyclists in the peloton that migth need some of the scrutiny that is, it seems, only given to Froome. Others, for which there are some evidence to support claims. What Froome constantly have to endure does not seem fair.

The way I see it, he gets a poor reception, especially by Britons (compare with how cool they thought Wiggins was...) , as Froome happens to be thelate starting outsider in the class and gets best results on almost every test. He is cool about most accusations and criticisms being thrown at him (except maybe Aru attacking on Mont du Chat), and answers politely to both fair and non-fair criticisms and allegations. He even left the door open as to his own team's past practices: for others (read: Wiggins) to answer.

The long time frequent repeat of the same accusations, at its most parodic it is now "look at how fast he is (on that ramp), he must be cheating!" without any more data offered as proof for the accusations, is wearing me out, I don't think it is funny to listen to that anymore. With these (almost) baseless accusations on endless repeat in the background, I will step up on this soapbox and call it what it is: Bullying!

I don't support bullying (not in school, not at work, not in sports either) but I do support scrutiny of good sports performances. The dominance of Chris Froome in grand tours is not unusual when compared with other outdoor endurance sports. Now, that's arguably a mixed bag too, but sometimes one should just accept that the best rider with the best team will win - and hope that the anti-cheating methods and punishments are good enough to maintain fair competition in cycling.

I expect this will trigger a long discussion about where Brazilian, Portuguese, Azeri, Khasaka and Iranian cycling is going as well as the conflicts about anti-doping between Nairo Quintana and other top riders and the Columbian federation. My point is that there is some evidence to suggest a cultural problem there. There isn't really that much, when it comes to Froome, although Sky as a team has some stories, to be fair.

So there, Froome isn't even my favorite rider (a proven cheater-by-car is more like it :( ) but he gets my sympathy because of the bullying and nerd-bashing he is constantly facing.

I do confess, , I have taken part in such activities in the past, and I am not proud of it. I have decided I won't do it again, and I will try to stop it when I see others being bullied. I am against bullying, period! That is more important than cycling.

• ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1780 on: September 12, 2017, 00:29 »
    . . .

I do confess, , I have taken part in such activities in the past, and I am not proud of it. I have decided I won't do it again, and I will try to stop it when I see others being bullied. I am against bullying, period! That is more important than cycling.

Whilst I agree about bullying, I am not convinced Froome is that much a victim. I often, like yourself, get tired of the unending and deep cycnicism that so often prevails today. However, my cynicism towards Froome grows, rather than diminishes.

One of the real problems is that I think that Froome and Sky are doing something - but whatever it is - is not yet against anti-doping rules. Sky and Froome just have too many stories with answers that were non-answers. At least part of why Bradley manages to avoid that is because he was a Brit sports hero before there WAS Sky. And, BW and Cav made is a point to be very anti-doping back when they were merely trackies.

Froome's, and Brailsford's, lapses are too well remarked for me to rehash them at this point.

Regardless, I also have attempted to censure myself when it comes to uttering Eeyore-like pronouncements on Froome's status at any given moment. Less negativity, dude!  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1709
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #1781 on: September 15, 2017, 14:03 »
     Reading hiero's post above. If we are looking for victims, I give you this.
    Probably one of the saddest and sickening examples one can imagine. 
    How when a lifelong doper finds it impossible to re-set their moral compass, it impacts others around him.
    In this case, with tragic consequences.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/09/doping-rumsas-investigated-sons-death/
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

riding too slowly

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 187
    « Reply #1782 on: September 17, 2017, 21:47 »
    ....................And, BW and Cav made is a point to be very anti-doping back when they were merely trackies.

I think you will find that this statement is not closeley related to facts.  Brad has on record a single outburst, which went so well with the wind at the time.  Far closer to the mark were his words to his fellow six rider at Gent; that oh so nice Mr Rob Hayles.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1783 on: September 18, 2017, 00:13 »
    I think you will find that this statement is not closeley related to facts.  Brad has on record a single outburst, which went so well with the wind at the time.  Far closer to the mark were his words to his fellow six rider at Gent; that oh so nice Mr Rob Hayles.

I don't know that one - please enlighten me with a link. I certainly won't claim to be an expert on what they did or said - but I seem to recall that they both initially avoided road racing - and made statements to the effect - because of the association with dopage.

But, again, this is not an area where I will claim expertise. Work with me here, at least I've come to the Darkside to keep you company for a change! Don't want ya feeling lonely, ya know.
     ;)
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.