Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3267
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Re: Darkside - General news
« Reply #1980 on: January 15, 2019, 13:59 »
https://twitter.com/UCI_media/status/1085130215280574465

https://www.uci.org/inside-uci/press-releases/tramadol-ban-all-you-need-to-know

From 1 March 2019, in-competition use of tramadol will be banned across all disciplines. This new regulation, which is being introduced for medical reasons, allows for penalties to be imposed if the rules are broken.   

- 4.4% of in-competition tests on cyclists showed the use of tramadol;
- 68% of urine samples – taken from across 35 Olympic sports – containing tramadol were from cyclists.

What method will be used?

Dried blood droplets will be collected for presence of tramadol, using a high-precision analysis technique. Positive or negative results will depend on the presence or absence of the substance in the blood (there is no threshold).

What are the penalties?

Rider penalties

- A first offence committed by a rider will be penalised with disqualification from the event. In addition, a fine of CHF5,000 will be imposed if the rider is a member of a UCI-registered team. In all other cases, the fine will be CHF1,000.

- A second offence will result in disqualification from the event and a five-month suspension. If a further offence is committed, a nine-month suspension will be imposed.

Team penalties

If two riders belonging to the same UCI-registered team commit an offence within a period of 12 months, the team will be fined CHF10,000. If a further offence is committed within the same 12-month period, the team will be suspended for a period of 1 to 12 months, to be determined by the UCI Disciplinary Commission.

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1981 on: January 15, 2019, 14:30 »
    I don't understand what appears to be the leniency of the penalties. If it's banned, it's banned. If a rider knowingly breaks the rules and uses a prohibitive substance, why isn't it treated like any other? Are there other specific substances that have their own rules applied to them?

This part is puzzling:

A second offence will result in disqualification from the event and a five-month suspension. If a further offence is committed, a nine-month suspension will be imposed.

A "further offence"?!?! How many strikes do they get? If a rider were to knowingly break this particular rule three times, safe to say it's not the only rule they're breaking. Why only nine months?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7404
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1982 on: January 15, 2019, 15:35 »
    I don't understand what appears to be the leniency of the penalties. If it's banned, it's banned. If a rider knowingly breaks the rules and uses a prohibitive substance, why isn't it treated like any other? Are there other specific substances that have their own rules applied to them?
    Essentially: Yes.

Tramadol isn't on the WADA list of prohibited substances, it is only banned within cycling in a solo action by the UCI.
    That's why the 'normal' rules don't apply here, and the UCI can basically make it up as they go.

Think of it as like the old early morning 'vampire' tests for hematocrit in the 90s where riders would be stopped from racing on health grounds, but that was pretty much it.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1612
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #1983 on: January 15, 2019, 15:40 »
    Correct Lukas.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2920
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #1984 on: January 24, 2019, 11:19 »
    Positive test for #lotto Tosh van der Sande, taken at the Gent Sixdays:
    https://lottosoudal.be/en/news/positive-doping-test-tosh-van-der-sande

It sounds a bit weird that the substance would be allowed in-competition if mentioned on the control form ... we'll need some experts to clarify that.

Been sorted out and all is well again.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/lotto-soudals-tosh-van-der-sande-cleared-doping-administrative-error-405714
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12806
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1985 on: January 24, 2019, 12:02 »
    sounds reasonable to me
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

riding too slowly

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 299
    « Reply #1986 on: January 27, 2019, 13:00 »
    Former head of Wada claims drug-test methods not fit for purpose - 'organised crime has a field day in sport'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/athletics/2019/01/26/former-head-wada-claims-drug-test-methods-not-fit-purpose-organised/

Stand out lines for me were

"we spending millions and millions of dollars supporting an industry, where a lot of people get paid. Is that what we are doing? Producing an industry rather than protecting clean athletes?”

Yep, a giant job creation scheme with no worthwhile ouput and providing a smokescreen for those they are meant to be catching.  That mirrors where I am.

"He added that the method of needing two positive samples to sanction an athlete also required reexamination, given the difficulty for science to 100 per cent validate the A sample by the B.

“You can be committed for trial or murder on the basis of one blood sample. You can’t be put to a sanction process in sport unless you have an A urine sample matched by a B urine sample. Why do we have more protection for sport than we do for murder?

Yes and I would say the biggest thing is the one he has not mentioned.  Justice must be seen to be done.  At the moment it is all done behind closed doors at the likes of the way CAS has been structured.  Why do athletes get image protection that the man in the street, maybe accused of far more serious crimes does not ?  It does not make sense.

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1987 on: January 27, 2019, 14:02 »
    Yes and I would say the biggest thing is the one he has not mentioned.  Justice must be seen to be done.  At the moment it is all done behind closed doors at the likes of the way CAS has been structured.
    Yes, this is a big one. The process needs more transparency.

Why do athletes get image protection that the man in the street, maybe accused of far more serious crimes does not ?  It does not make sense.
    Depends on the country. Here in Germany, suspects of a crime, even after being found guilty and sentenced, are always only referred to as "First Name Initial" - so e.g. "Alex S.". Only exceptions are in cases where the accused was a public person beforehand.
    I know it's different in other countries.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1988 on: January 28, 2019, 09:19 »
    https://twitter.com/thesundaytimes/status/1089422584108716032

Sun and his team, including his mother Ming Yang, had concerns with the identification documents of testers and he and a security guard were alleged to have crushed a sealed vial with a hammer.

[...]

In January, a FINA doping panel ruled in favour of Sun and were reported to have said they would ‘never know’ the truth about the matter.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/swimming/hot-water-sun-yang-smashed-blood-test-with-hammer-20190127-p50tyd.html

:lol :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2867
    • Awards: 2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #1989 on: January 28, 2019, 16:58 »
    Depends on the country. Here in Germany, suspects of a crime, even after being found guilty and sentenced, are always only referred to as "First Name Initial" - so e.g. "Alex S."

So Lukas CPH is triply under suspicion?
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1990 on: March 30, 2019, 13:54 »
    https://twitter.com/cleans_letsrun/status/1111746315770314753

Three athletes have been disqualified from the London 2012 Olympics for doping, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has confirmed.

Weightlifting bronze medallist Valentin Hristov tested positive for the anabolic steroid oral turinabol.

Belarussian pair Alena Matoshka and Anis Ananenka have also been banned after reanalysis using new methods.

The athletes will appear before either the Court of Arbitration for Sport or an IOC Disciplinary Commission.

Ananenka, who finished 43rd in the men's 800m, tested positive for the same prohibited substance as Bulgaria's Hristov, while Matoshka, who was 25th in the women's hammer throw, tested positive for the steroid oxandrolone.

Previously, more than 500 samples from the London 2012 Games have been tested using methods that did not exist at the time.

The re-tests have resulted in 48 anti-doping violations being discovered, most of which were for anabolic steroids.

Meanwhile, the International Paralympic Committee has suspended Kyrgyzstan powerlifter Esen Kaliev for four years for breaking anti-doping rules. He will not be eligible to compete in the Tokyo 2022 Games following the ban.
  • ReplyReply

• neppe

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 78
    « Reply #1991 on: April 04, 2019, 22:42 »
    Some results from the testing at the Vuelta Ciclista a Costa Rica are in and 3 riders have been provisionally suspended according to yesterdays update of UCI’s list. The interesting part is that two of them, Eddier Godinez Marin and Roman Villalobos Solis, are suspended for blood transfusions. How did they catch them?

https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source/clean-sport-documents/adrv/provisional-suspensions-en.pdf?sfvrsn=14d705b4_100
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3261
    « Reply #1992 on: April 06, 2019, 13:35 »
    Another adverse analytical finding from Latin America, this one goes to #manzana Wilmar Parades (out-of-competition-test, EPO) . I thought Manzana were regarded as the good guys in Colombian cycling, does this mean their reputation now takes a tumble?

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #1993 on: April 07, 2019, 21:57 »
    I thought Manzana were regarded as the good guys in Colombian cycling, does this mean their reputation now takes a tumble?
    Yeah, they are ... or were. Will have to take a closer look, but this doesn't bode well.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6772
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #1994 on: April 08, 2019, 19:56 »
    I expect a bit of doping news to come out in the next couple of weeks, before the Giro. Probably old news mostly but it should cast a(nother) shadow where it's been more than earned lately.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1995 on: April 08, 2019, 20:03 »
    I expect a bit of doping news to come out in the next couple of weeks, before the Giro.

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1996 on: April 08, 2019, 20:05 »

I was right with my last prediction but obviously I could be wrong this time. :P
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1997 on: April 08, 2019, 21:31 »
    I expect a bit of doping news to come out in the next couple of weeks, before the Giro. Probably old news mostly but it should cast a(nother) shadow where it's been more than earned lately.
    ¨

Cross-country skiing again, then?   :-x
    There were notifications about another athlete in custody in Dr Schmidts hometown a couple of weeks back, but no names were given, and everything turned quiet.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1998 on: April 09, 2019, 11:29 »
    ¨

Cross-country skiing again, then?   :-x
    There were notifications about another athlete in custody in Dr Schmidts hometown a couple of weeks back, but no names were given, and everything turned quiet.

No, it's about cycling's own dirty laundry and unrelated, as far as I can tell, to Erfurt.
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 572
    « Reply #1999 on: April 09, 2019, 12:52 »
    Wheels of the Italian justice system turning?

(Thinking say a Menchov or Popo)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #2000 on: April 09, 2019, 17:18 »
    Wheels of the Italian justice system turning?

(Thinking say a Menchov or Popo)

Seems like there are a couple of different threads developing, a few years too late as always but which could still affect some with longer associations with the sport. Not absolutely sure about the source but has been accurate before.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #2001 on: April 09, 2019, 21:13 »
    No, it's about cycling's own dirty laundry and unrelated, as far as I can tell, to Erfurt.

OK, more than one case at a time is certainly possible. This one seems to fit the description of the Erfurt case I had seen a short notice about: (I saw this today).

https://twitter.com/westemeyersusan/status/1115647231581917184

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #2002 on: April 10, 2019, 13:43 »
    USADA suspends Dillashaw 2 years for EPO use

The United States Anti-Doping Agency has suspended former UFC champion TJ Dillashaw for two years for testing positive for recombinant human erythropoietin (EPO) before a flyweight title fight against Henry Cejudo on Jan. 19 in New York.

USADA officials announced the suspension, which Dillashaw did not contest, on Tuesday. The news comes less than one month after Dillashaw willingly relinquished his bantamweight championship, of which the UFC almost certainly would have stripped him based on Tuesday's announcement.

"I'm quite familiar with EPO from my days investigating professional cycling teams," Jeff Novitzky, UFC vice president of athlete health and performance, told ESPN. "It's a very effective substance. It's not a substance you find in contaminated supplements; it's injectable only. You have to know what you're doing when it enters your system.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #2003 on: April 10, 2019, 14:42 »
    Per the above...

A couple of months ago I was going to post a link to an interview with T.J. Dillashaw where he breaks down his scientific, highly analytical approach to training and nutrition under the guidance of Sam Calavitta who runs The Treigning Lab.

It was pretty interesting, and seems very cutting-edge in many ways. Is it just a cover for doping? I doubt it, but the type of people attracted to such intense training regimes, and who who are both willing and able to push themselves to the very limit for success in their respective fields, are typically the ones most likely to push all the limits. Isn't that how it always goes? I may post some stuff in one of the training threads anyway, as it was pretty interesting. I mean, wind tunnels have their use too, right?

That being said, there have been doping accusations against Dillashaw, out in the open, for quite some time.

But the following statement from T.J.'s trainer comes off more like preemptive damage control than genuine support for one of his own. Then again, I'm not sure what else the guy can say (although it's odd that he doesn't refer to him by name right from the outset).

Coach of TJ Dillashaw releases statement following positive test for EPO

PRESS RELEASE
    4/9/2019

Coach Cal’s statement from The Treigning Lab

It is with a heavy heart that I, Coach Cal, the owner, founder, and purveyor of The Treigning Lab, have recently seen the defeat of one of our family members in recent months. This defeat is not due to the skills and combat savvy of an opponent of flesh, but rather a defeat at the perilous hands of a far more sinister foe; the demon of self doubt which haunts each and everyone of us at one time or another in our lives.

As a man of few words, preferring passion and belief as a shield to be carried out upon, I am bemused to careless and reckless dialog for no other purpose than to make myself heard among the masses plagued by willful ignorance. However, there is an appropriate, and even required time for the head of a family to speak out. And, this is such a time.

The Treigning Lab in no way condones or encourages our family of athletes,

worldwide, to partake in the perilous downward spiraling helix of synthetic performance enhancement. To do so is not only harmful to the individual but also harmful to the brothers, sisters, and other family members who are judged guilty by association. Yet, the arena of public scrutiny is heavily weighted down with the enigma of fear for what it does not understand. To that end, the fact remains that The Treigning Lab, in concept and private practice established itself among Olympic and collegiate wrestlers in the year 2001 and has embarked on the life changing journey through sport with thousands of athletes spanning almost two decades of unparalleled excellence. We use quantitative analysis, metabolically accurate nutrition, proper supplementation, recovery facilitation, intelligence, and a training regiment of such high intensity that few have the wherewithal to imagine, much less would dare to embrace. In the same amount of time, our athletes have never failed a single mandated test, yet reside among the elite in each of their chosen sports; standing at the top of the podium of character and integrity.

The Treigning Lab was built upon the foundation of integrity, hard work, and most importantly family. So, in light of recent events The Treigning Lab and it’s affiliates would, first, like to thank USADA for upholding the standard of sterling athletic practices and offering tests to ensure the safety and fairness of competitive sports. That being said, we would also like to thank all those who have come forward at this time to show their genuine concern for all of our athletes, especially TJ Dillashaw, a fallen soldier on the battlefield of public expectation and demand for perfection. Although, not right, and inexcusable, TJ succumbed to the relentless pressure to win at any cost for the purposes of appeasing his employers, pleasing his fan base, and providing for his family; a sentiment that we all can relate to.

He has now accepted the repercussions of his decisions; and as such, it is our decision as The Treigning Lab family, to stand beside him in his journey forward.

I had to include this one reaction.  :D

https://twitter.com/_alexbarnard/status/1115972717629648899

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1612
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #2005 on: April 15, 2019, 17:34 »
    Oops
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #2006 on: April 15, 2019, 17:37 »
    yeah. He fits pretty well into the usual "coming back from illness, no results for a while, contract year pressure to perform" explanation though, I must say

edit: or not, he just extended his contract until 2020

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pantano-extends-with-trek-segafredo-transfer-shorts/
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #2007 on: April 15, 2019, 17:51 »
    Isn’t this 2nd in a row of world tour EPO positives for TREK?
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1042
    « Reply #2008 on: April 15, 2019, 20:33 »
    Isn’t this 2nd in a row of world tour EPO positives for TREK?

Was the last one Cardoso? Has there not been anyone else done for EPO since then?

Edit to add: Siutsou was for EPO last year.
  • ReplyReply

• riding too slowly

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 299
    « Reply #2009 on: April 16, 2019, 09:39 »
    Hold on isn't this the new clean era, post "cleans" even ?  And weren't Columbian riders now able to win because the peloton had slowed down now it was clean because of their naturally high heamatocrit ?  And this guy was pack -fill ! 

But looking behind him - so that is three riders from Trek-Segafredo in less than 12 months.  I know you guys think I am nuts saying it is all doom and gloom on the women's scene but this is Trek-Segafredo the same team that hired Ina-Yoko Tuetengerg as lead DS - the female Zabel who out Zabeled, Zabel - and from team Saturn !!!!   

No one in the sport hiring her would not know exactly what they were getting themselves by way of a product.

Trek-Segafredo - the team that Lizzie Deignan rides for.   

But just whatch the cycling journalists totally ignore this story and the huge plume of smoke rising up from it, as they swoon before her this week-end on her comeback.

Saturn ran a men's and women's squad. Optimal way to transfer "best pracrice".
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.