collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11186
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

cj2002

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3257
  • Honorary President
  • Awards: Best avatar 2012
Re: Darkside - General news
« Reply #421 on: February 05, 2013, 10:26 »
Andy Murray: Tennis must invest following Lance Armstrong scandal

from BBC News

Andy Murray wants tennis to learn from the Lance Armstrong doping scandal and introduce tighter controls. The British number one believes that prize funds should be reduced if it is the only way to fund more regular blood testing and protect the sport's image.

"It's down to our governing bodies and the ATP to invest some of our own money and make sure we get more testing done," he said. "If it means taking some of the money out of the players' earnings then that's what we have to do."

Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentes is currently on trial in Madrid after admitting providing athletes with banned substances in sport's latest drug inquiry. The World Anti-Doping Agency was initially told that tennis players were amongst the sportspeople supplied by Fuentes when his operation was uncovered by Spanish police in 2006. However Fuentes is only being tried over doping in one sport as cyclists were the only athletes that could be identified from the bags of blood seized.

"I think it's essential that the names and whoever was involved with it, it's essential for tennis that that comes out," said Murray. "If one in 100 is doping then, in my eyes, that isn't a clean sport and we need to to everything we can to ensure we have everyone that's competing at the highest level and below is clean. "I know what goes in my body and I know from my side that I'm clean, so that's all I can comment on."

Armstrong recently admitted cheating en route to winning all seven of his Tour de France titles, and US Open champion Murray believes that the damage done to cycling has focused minds across sport.

"I don't want that happening for my sport because it would be terrible," he said. "Every single week right now there's something different and it's bad for sport."

Murray argues that more blood tests, combined with biological passports that monitor for the effects of doping, is the best tactic to ensure a clean sport and may not be as costly as first appears.

"The only way you can improve your testing procedures is by having more of them and you need money to do that - it's a cost thing," he added. "But in the long term I think you save money because I think more people would come to watch sports, rather than reading all the time about these doping scandals."

The International Tennis Federation carried out a total of 131 blood tests in and out competition in 2011 - the most recent year for which figures are available - alongside 2,019 urine tests. However world number one Novak Djokovic recently complained the number of blood tests he has undergone fell in the last year.

So it looks like the world numbers 1 and 3 are pretty anti-doping and pro-testing. Now for the rest of tennis to wake up as well.
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #424 on: February 05, 2013, 13:15 »
    Dick Pound

So was the Armstrong donation a bribe?  “I don’t know if it was a bribe but I cannot imagine a more inappropriate decision on the part of UCI,” says Pound. “When you’ve got somebody suspected of doping and you agree to take a significant monetary gift, I mean God in heaven, what possessed Verbruggen that that was a good idea?”

:win

and seriously - what do they think Armstrong was paying it for?

Does anyone seriously believe that Lance, who has now admitted he was doping, gave money to the UCI to fight doping?     So if not, what did he think he was getting for the money?

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7563
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #425 on: February 05, 2013, 16:17 »
    Why is "Dick Pound" not blocked by the swear filter? I only realized the hilariousness of his name when the CN forum made him into **** Pound, wouldn't have given it any thought otherwise.
    OK, let's get serious again...

That article is exactly how the media should not spin this. Yes, cycling has not had (and hasn't) a perfect anti-doping regime - no sport ever had, or will have.
    Yes, many people have enabled doping, administered doping, taken doping products themselves, covered up positives or simply looked the other way. Many of us fans - myself included - are guilty of that last one.
    But the headline "How could they not know?" will put in people's minds a notion that cycling is doping-infested (it still is, and it certainly was) and far beyond any saving (if I thought that to be true, I'd stop following the sport). It broadcasts the message that the Armstrong affair was uncovered by people and organisations that were not in any way involved in cycling, which is untrue.
    I believe that cycling is cleaning up, both in body (the amount of doping riders still take, and how many do it) and in mind (the attitude towards doping from riders, DSs - some of them -, organisators and fans alike). We're on the right path (although it's still a long and hard way), but to succeed we need "outsiders" (new spectators, possible new sponsors etc.) to consider cycling as being on that path, and being interested in getting involved, instead of thinking of cycling as some sort of freak show and comparing its truthfulness to wrestling.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #426 on: February 08, 2013, 08:04 »
    Italian soccer superstar Alessandro Del Piero, playing his first season with the A-League's Sydney FC said issues of doping and match-fixing are a global problem.

During his time at Juventus, that esteemed Italian football club was involved in a match-fixing scandal in 2006, when their punishments included being relegated and stripped of two Serie A titles.

Asked for his reaction to revelations from the ACC regarding widespread doping and possible match-fixing Del Piero said on Friday: "It is a serious problem".

"It's not only an Australian problem it's all the world a problem, it's not a good thing."

Nadal wants the names of those implicated in the "Operation Puerto" trial into blood doping to be provided to clear others of wrongdoing.

"I don't understand why we never get to the bottom of these things," Nadal said.

"We need to clean everything up. I believe this doctor has worked with foreign athletes but because he is Spanish it is Spanish sport that is being prejudiced.

some gems right there Doping, match-fixing a worldwide problem
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #427 on: February 08, 2013, 08:55 »
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 861
    « Reply #428 on: February 09, 2013, 05:51 »
    http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8931274/investigation-finds-curt-schilling-ped-claims-baseless-sources-say

World Series winning pitcher turned failed video game designer turned ESPN pundit Curt Schilling said that team doctors advised him to use drugs to rehabilitate an injury. His then-team investigated, and unsurprisingly concluded that nuh-uh that totally never happened.

Then Major League Baseball investigated, and ALSO concluded that Curt Schilling was lying.

It's almost re-assuring to see that the UCI is not the only organising body that is actively working to suppress doping revelations in their sport.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #429 on: February 09, 2013, 06:48 »
    http://www.theage.com.au/sport/no-aoc-mercy-for-drug-lies-20130208-2e3z5.html
    Sign a form get caught doping 2 years in jail and a few other bits

But t&r 1st and for the future harder penalties
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 126
    « Reply #430 on: February 11, 2013, 09:26 »
  • ReplyReply
  • Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #432 on: February 13, 2013, 12:12 »
    Lampre Merida confirms Scarponi is currently suspended, meeting about his future set to take place soon

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13933/Lampre-Merida-confirms-Scarponi-is-currently-suspended-meeting-about-his-future-set-to-take-place-soon.aspx#ixzz2KmSKRJ9G
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #433 on: February 13, 2013, 13:44 »
    hmm - interesting
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #434 on: February 13, 2013, 13:59 »
    Lampre Merida confirms Scarponi is currently suspended, meeting about his future set to take place soon

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13933/Lampre-Merida-confirms-Scarponi-is-currently-suspended-meeting-about-his-future-set-to-take-place-soon.aspx#ixzz2KmSKRJ9G

hmm - interesting

He's done his time (again), so why the continued internal suspension? I refuse to believe that this is about the team suddenly discovering principles in a some sort of quasi-orgiastic epiphany of rectitude.

This has to go deeper. There's something else going on with Scarponi that could damage Lampre again. Perhaps he has learned that he will have to give evidence against Ferrari or something of the kind. Based on the usual Italian timetable, that should be upcoming this year, along with Mantova which is also an embarassment for Lampre, albeit from 2009.

But that all happened years ago. Cycling has changed...

Or maybe J-Rod is just better value and saving Scarpo's salary helps them to afford to less scandal-prone Catalan.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #435 on: February 13, 2013, 16:56 »
    Or maybe J-Rod is just better value and saving Scarpo's salary helps them to afford to less scandal-prone Catalan.
    That was my first thought.
    However, wouldn't they still have to pay Scarponi's salary, even if he's suspended, when there's no "real" reason to suspend him?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #436 on: February 13, 2013, 17:15 »
    That was my first thought.
    However, wouldn't they still have to pay Scarponi's salary, even if he's suspended, when there's no "real" reason to suspend him?

They could easily claim he violated the team code and failed to disclose his involvement with Ferrari. He would reply that he didn't know it was illegal and they would counter something along the lines of 'you can tell the press and the public whatever you like but between this team and CONI, I think we all know that ignorance is no defence, Michele.'
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #437 on: February 13, 2013, 17:31 »
    Maybe they are trying to make it very clear where they stand before Mantova?

As this article suggests: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/11/news/lampre-shifts-gears-ahead-of-mantova-storm_265025
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #438 on: February 13, 2013, 17:44 »
    Maybe they are trying to make it very clear where they stand before Mantova?

As this article suggests: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/11/news/lampre-shifts-gears-ahead-of-mantova-storm_265025

Ah well, Lampre turning anti-doping after sponsoring 21 years of doping. Suppose it could happen...
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #439 on: February 14, 2013, 01:33 »
    He's done his time (again), so why the continued internal suspension?

he has - but seriously, he has been suspended twice now ... he gets done for his dealings with Fuentes - and the first thing he does on his return to cycling is gets involved with Ferrari?   and then tries to say 'he didnt know'?

cmon.

I dont blame Lampre for suspending him (there own history notwithstanding) ... at some stage someone has to say enough is enough

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #440 on: February 16, 2013, 08:36 »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/series/drugs-in-sport-special

Guardian drugs in sports special

Lots of reading
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #441 on: February 16, 2013, 09:16 »
    Procycling: Based on what you saw and heard when you were at the Change Cycling Now conference in December, are you optimistic about the future of the sport?

Bassons: I am optimistic but the current situation isn’t good. In the peloton, it’s still going pretty quickly [smiles knowingly]. You don’t need muscles to go fast, apparently. That’s what we saw this year. And then there’s the way they’re recovering. Beyond that, I’ve never made a distinction between doping and doping behaviour that’s not forbidden but most people do make that distinction. They’ll go right to the line, even bending the rules if they have to. The one thing I hope comes out of this conference above all else, though, is for an independent agency to take over anti-doping. That’s absolutely essential.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/christophe-bassons-where-the-war-on-drugs-is-going-wrong
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #442 on: February 16, 2013, 09:57 »
    "@juliansavulescu: Legalise PEDs and we'll prosper, says ethicist http://t.co/KTxQBQbY via @smh"

ONE of Australia's pre-eminent thinkers, Oxford University professor Julian Savulescu, has called for world sporting authorities to legalise performance-enhancing substances.
    Savulescu, a world-renowned philosopher and bioethicist, has argued for a decade that prohibition doesn't work but instead promotes links to organised crime.

The goal at the moment is to pick up anything that has a performance-enhancing effect, no matter how small the amount. That's obviously an unachievable task,'' Savulescu told Fairfax Media from England. ''You can't pick up a molecule of testosterone or a single molecule of growth hormone, yet that is what they're trying to do. Instead, the goalposts should be shifted to harm reduction, where you pick up unsafe amounts or unsafe practices.

http://m.smh.com.au/sport/legalise-peds-and-well-prosper-says-ethicist-20130216-2ejvc.html

Interesting article.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 10:10 by kabloemski »

kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #443 on: February 16, 2013, 20:36 »
    For me, his logic falls down really badly in assuming that all we want to see is people riding fast and winning races.

Personally, the best thing about bike racing - and in fact any sport that we get to watch - is the humanity and the effort that is involved. I'd far rather watch a good fight for position than a machine like domination for win.

Cycling's always had a tradition of celebrating the effort as much as the victory

I agree with you totally (and always loved Fignon too). I just think the point is that it seems scientifically impossible (and financially too expensive?) to police doping effectively? It's what would be ideal v what is realistic, and I hate having to choose between the lesser of two evils, but?

Perhaps he does have a point re the minimum amounts to test for? And also revising what's on the banned list? I certainly do not approve of condoning the use of PEDs in competition.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #444 on: February 18, 2013, 11:31 »
    Cycling is very intense and so some time away gives you perspective and lets you reflect about how you do your job, how you handle the physical and the mental approach, all the factors that go into your performance. The new energy helps you go back and make thinks better. Guys like Lance Armstrong and Laurent Jalabert came back as better riders after they took a break. I hope the same happens to me."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/evans-confident-for-new-season-after-good-start-in-oman

Yes thats right ..............................

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #446 on: February 18, 2013, 13:11 »
    Hushovd angry at Armstrong for doping

Question: Thor, did you dope?

Answer:
    “The only thing I can say is that I know that I'm sitting here with a clear conscience. Meanwhile, people who have doped said the same thing before, but in my head, and here I have it safe and fine,” pointing to his heart.

"No" would have been better.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• Road Captain
    « Reply #447 on: February 18, 2013, 19:48 »
    "No" would have been better.

Well said.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #448 on: February 18, 2013, 19:54 »
    There has been some discussion 're translation copy and paste via cycling news.

Fwiw
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #449 on: February 18, 2013, 22:05 »
    I found the actual original source:
    http://tv.nrk.no/serie/dagsrevyen/nnfa02021613/16-02-2013
    (click on "9. Thor Hushovd om Armstrong og doping")

I'll have to listen through it carefully to see 1) if the question was that explicit ("did you dope?"), and 2) what exactly he answered (if I can understand his Norwegian...).
    But from the short skip I've done now I'd say the question wasn't as clear cut as that, and the answer given by CN is somewhat paraphrased.
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.