collapse

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 925
  • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
Re: Darkside - General news
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2012, 10:33 »
Well, it would take a really blind and unaware person to say that other sports are free of doping.  That's highly unlikely.
That said, will the positives of doping elsewhere be as high as cycling? Can coordination be chemically aided? I don't think so, I'm not a chemist or a doctor so am willing to be corrected. Many sports require coordination, more so than cycling.

I'm only saying blame because Kroon is "facing problems" (possibly suspension?) and it could've been avoided according to him.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #61 on: March 28, 2012, 10:52 »
    Messi used HGH for an operation when he was young. Later usage hasn't been documented, but that could be due to the lack of investigation into such cases. Specifics are difficult to point out, but it's tough to envisage the complete lack of doping. If so, I'd bang a hundred lasses a month and still be immune from STDs.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #62 on: March 28, 2012, 11:02 »
    Aye, I read that and posted there, not seriously though, too. It's a claim that could have, possibly even should have, been investigated, but with Barca's political contacts, they'd be pretty safe. So too Real Madrid.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #63 on: March 28, 2012, 11:24 »
    Aye, but that would go back to the lack of investigation rather than it being due to investigation failing.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10759
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #64 on: March 28, 2012, 11:30 »
    Exactly if FIFA or UFEA don't care then nothing is going to happen.

exactly what UCI/FIFA type organisation would want a big name being caught and destroying the sports rep.

Cycling was screwed from the start due to the open use of drugs in the 19th and early 20th century then Simpson - the carpet was glued down so public knowledge was already there other sports not so much
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #65 on: March 28, 2012, 11:33 »
    Exactly if FIFA or UFEA don't care then nothing is going to happen.
    Aye.
    And we'll never stop talking about how big their thundermuppetery in every facet is. Lousy organisation.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

flicker2.0

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 21
    « Reply #67 on: March 29, 2012, 00:03 »
    Also some of my friends back in the States, don't give a crap if a guy in MLB or the NFL gets busted for doping they're like so what and he should be allowed to play on.

Pretty obvious that NFL players are juiced. Cracks me up that the CN crowd watches NFL and then gets down on the dopers in cycling.
    I like NFL and support a local team, and I don't care squat, how the players prepare themselves.
    I have never heard any football fans call players dopers. Never heard of it in pro soccer either.
    MLB, the obvious ones have been suspected or caught, and generally are tolerated without penalty, but are known as Bad Boys.

As for Kroon, he is whining because he is in trouble, same old song as Tyler,  Alberto, Floyd, and Frankie. Great rider, but if he wasn't caught he would have zipped his lips. And he was caught, if he signed a contract with the testers, promising to name his whereabouts. No ifs ands or butts. No compassion for him here, he needs to take his penalty like a man, whatever is decided.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3454
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #68 on: March 29, 2012, 00:13 »
    flicker - he hasnt been caught.

He has 2 missed tests.  He is allowed 3 before anything happens to him ......

thats the whole point.  Here is someone who is speaking out who has not been caught.
  • ReplyReply

• flicker2.0

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #69 on: March 29, 2012, 00:26 »
    flicker - he hasnt been caught.

He has 2 missed tests.  He is allowed 3 before anything happens to him ......

thats the whole point.  Here is someone who is speaking out who has not been caught.

Sorry, I am wrong. Getting back to the point about UCI coverups, etc., with Rasmusson, if he had not been caught with the individual delivering his shoes, which contained PEDs, and being outed by his peers, for lying about his whereabouts,(while Rassmusson was on his way to winning the tour, I believe Rassmusson would have had a different career path.

I guess Kroons point is that Contador did not get a pass,(ultra vez mas)IMO and Saxo is getting picked on and will likely fold leaving Kroon and his mates out in the cold? Should Contador gotten a pass? Maybe for the good of cycling he should have, but it didn't work out that way, sorry.
    Bjarne chose Contador, for his points, and prestige knowing full well that Contador,MAY GO DOWN. Everyone knew that, and Kroon knew it too. Is he mad because Rassmusson the trackie got a pass? My gut feeling is that Kroon has a sense of entitlement, and I resent that, I feel that hurts the sport also.
  • ReplyReply

• flicker2.0

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #70 on: March 29, 2012, 02:16 »
    But did Riis know that Contador had failed a test, when they started talking about a possible move to Saxo? Infact at that time did Contador know he failed a test?

I thought that in a desperate move to save his team after the Schlecks gutted his team, he took on Contador for his points, plus Contador is the greatest cyclist going right now.
    The world of pro cycling is small, I am sure Bjarne knew every little detail about Contador.
    If I were a DS I would take Contador in a New York minute, he is the best to come along since well probably Merckx.

Look at the Broncos, they took Payton Manning, an individual who may never play up to par ever again. Sports is business, to win big, you gamble big, part of the charm of pro sports.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #71 on: March 29, 2012, 07:43 »
    But did Riis know that Contador had failed a test, when they started talking about a possible move to Saxo? Infact at that time did Contador know he failed a test?

no publicly - no

which is their defense for the licence commission - not out fault he was on another team so we can not be blamed etc etc 
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
    « Reply #74 on: April 05, 2012, 05:52 »
    Alistair Overeem’s positive for PEDs infuriates Dana White; it’s time the UFC stepped up testing

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-iole_alistair_overeem_failed_test_dana_white_040412
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #76 on: April 05, 2012, 10:47 »
    How was 2009 perfect? We had the return of Lance and Klöden at the top end of the Tour and Contador rolling up Verbier as though it was 1995. I'd say 2010 was better than 2009, although I do agree that ground has probably been lost in the last 12months.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #77 on: April 05, 2012, 14:03 »
    The year 2009 was quite a peak: 25 positive tests (the most since the bumper class of 2002) representing almost half of the 59 incidents in total. So certainly in terms of detection it was a good year.

Then 2010 saw a big decline in positive test results but I think with hindsight that we will see that the doping scene had already moved onto other techniques and substances.

Vroomen is right on the numbers. Reading the minutes of WADA Executive Committee Meetings yesterday, particularly on the development of ADAMS and the ABP, I can see his point in a more general way. The anti-doping movement is not moving quickly enough.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 848
    « Reply #78 on: April 05, 2012, 14:08 »
    I agree, 08 and 09 seemed to be a high point for dopers actually getting caught and prosecuted effectively.
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #79 on: April 05, 2012, 14:18 »
    Is it not time that WADA started with a police style strategy of getting riders (athletes in other sports too) to tell them what is going on currently in exchange for immunity. Like what the police do when dealing with the mafia. Otherwise they will be constantly playing catch up years too late. And when they do catch up it is inevitably the smaller teams and poorer riders who get caught while the big teams and top riders ride off scot free. Look at OPQS this year, juicing or what. Doesn't say much for Boonen's talent that when there where 'cleaner' years he was nowhere! Now he is back juicing better than ever and winning again.

• ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 848
    « Reply #80 on: April 05, 2012, 14:20 »
    I'm not sure asking riders to grass in their friends is the right answer, and I don't think it will work either.

I think WADA needs to go after the doctors and team managers.
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    « Reply #81 on: April 05, 2012, 14:28 »
    I'm not sure asking riders to grass in their friends is the right answer, and I don't think it will work either.

I think WADA needs to go after the doctors and team managers.

They would need to be grassing up the doping methods currently being used not riders. It would then allow WADA and anti doping agencies to develop tests to catch the riders. It would also help them catch the doctors and DS, which i prefer they go after.

I think that it is time that countries set up police forces to deal exclusively with sporting fraud and doping being a big part of their remit.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3837
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #82 on: April 05, 2012, 19:41 »
    How was 2009 perfect? We had the return of Lance and Klöden at the top end of the Tour and Contador rolling up Verbier as though it was 1995. I'd say 2010 was better than 2009, although I do agree that ground has probably been lost in the last 12months.

I like 2009 better.  :)
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #83 on: April 06, 2012, 15:01 »
    Alistair Overeem’s positive for PEDs infuriates Dana White; it’s time the UFC stepped up testing

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-iole_alistair_overeem_failed_test_dana_white_040412

Damn. Brock just came home and now it turns out the reason he left UFC is faulty. Might want revenge
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3454
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #85 on: April 14, 2012, 06:04 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-i-regret-talk-of-new-uci-passport-cases

McQuaid backing off on passport cases.

With no new cases since mid-2010 the passport appears to have stalled. However, McQuaid said this was not the case and that there were no financial constraints in testing or passport profiling.

“It’s not in the least frustrating. I wasn’t looking at any cases personally. As until such time as anti-doping comes to me and says we have a positive, then I know about it. Before then I don’t know about it and I don’t want to know about it.”

Asked if he had asked the UCI’s anti-doping team for any update, he added: “I haven’t. It’s not my affair to ask any questions. My affair is to get the results. I don’t ask any questions until then. Like I said, I shouldn’t have said that to you at that time because I was obviously wrong. The passport is very strong.”

:winker
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #86 on: April 14, 2012, 06:40 »
    At least the blinkers have a good function now.
  • ReplyReply

• Dr. Horrible the Mad Elephant Man

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 63
    « Reply #87 on: April 14, 2012, 09:02 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-i-regret-talk-of-new-uci-passport-cases

McQuaid backing off on passport cases.

:winker

I think the point here is McQuaid said more case were coming very shortly when he had no idea what was happening so he just lied.
    Or there were cases coming and something, think big bags full of cash, came along and stopped the cases.
    In fact his public comments could be seen as pressure on suspected riders to cough up the cash.
    Nothing would surprise me.
  • ReplyReply
  • BMC and Cadel Evans fan
    I have chosen not to be able to receive private messages except from administrators.

benotti69

• Road Captain
    « Reply #88 on: April 14, 2012, 17:25 »
    McQuaid is just about the biggest idiot to run a federation ever. How he got to run the International Federation of Cycling is incredible. Verbruggen must be pull his strings. It makes me think what kind of idiots elected him. flip!!!!!!  :fp
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.