collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11175
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
  • Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 6777
  • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
    • Dopeology.org
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
Re: Darkside - General news
« Reply #871 on: January 09, 2014, 12:41 »
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kloden-i-understand-why-the-doubts-remain

klodi blah blah blah   :shh

Nice quote:

Quote from: Kloeden
I can only repeat that I have nothing to do with this case ... they could have suspended me. But they didn't because there was no proof and nothing was happening there.

But best of all ...

The athlete has no chance to prove his innocence anymore

... coming from a man who says ...

I did pay ... to make sure that this case wouldn't obstruct my career any longer.

Footnote: there is a significant misinterpretation in the CN article. Kloeden did not "pay the clinic" to end the investigation, he made a charitable donation to a facility for handicapped children the act of which was overseen by the authorities.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #872 on: January 11, 2014, 15:32 »

I made the point only if you get busted , if not doping can pay big time
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1784
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #873 on: January 11, 2014, 22:12 »
    https://twitter.com/EuroHoody/statuses/422027002959245313

I made the point only if you get busted , if not doping can pay big time

Yes and even though Lance may lose that would he ever have increased his pay to those amounts without dope? If you get 100k per year, you then begin to dope get a 3 year 2m/year contract get caught in between year 1 and 2 then in reality you still earned money. if clean that is three time 100k per year=300k if dirty you get 2m but earn nothing in the next few years in your 2 year ban. And a clean entry level rider that never develops do to other people doping will in year 4 not earn more than the doper coming back anyway.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 01:30 by L'arriviste »

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #874 on: January 12, 2014, 04:30 »
    Hood is a hack who either knows nothing about doping or deliberately lies. He was made an expert witness in some newspaper article before the tour where he said people can trust cycling now because young riders don't dope.

The stupidity of the man is perhaps best encapsulated by this headline

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:08 by The Hitch »
    Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1784
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #875 on: January 12, 2014, 14:47 »

A lot of evidence? isn't it more a lack of evidence, evidence that always become more apparent years later anyways? Not saying anything about Nibali, I really have no reason to suggest him doping, but I also have no reason to definitely say the opposite. Which you really never can anyway which is sort of the problem.

On another note how come last edit of my post two up was made by L'arri? what was edited?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7543
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #876 on: January 12, 2014, 14:55 »
    On another note how come last edit of my post two up was made by L'arri? what was edited?
    The tweet embedding doesn't always work as intended in a quote - probably that.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13101
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #877 on: January 12, 2014, 17:56 »
    The tweet embedding doesn't always work as intended in a quote - probably that.

no, it's because jsg is still using the html embedding and regular users cannot use html. So when you quote jsg the forum recognizes that as a new post and therefor the html part stays cryptic

easy solution would be to jsg using the usual twitter-embedding instead of html
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #878 on: January 12, 2014, 18:04 »
    no, it's because jsg is still using the html embedding and regular users cannot use html. So when you quote jsg the forum recognizes that as a new post and therefor the html part stays cryptic

easy solution would be to jsg using the usual twitter-embedding instead of html

Search is right. I tested it. Folks need to stick to using the status links from Twitter.  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #879 on: January 12, 2014, 18:36 »
    Someone send me a pm on how you find the http pc and tablet I can once every 1 every 150 times, and no idea how I do it

I will change my ways,

the things I do  :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #881 on: January 14, 2014, 09:23 »
    https://twitter.com/OlympicStatman/status/423012975201370113

This is a very late official ruling on Novikov's out of competition positive for SARMS-Ostarine back in May. Seems like forever ago already. :)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #882 on: January 14, 2014, 09:25 »
    This is a very late official ruling on Novikov's out of competition positive for SARMS-Ostarine back in May. Seems like forever ago already. :)

the Russians have been busy, one day in Dec 18 positives  not cycling were announced :lol
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #883 on: January 14, 2014, 14:59 »
    How doping products can be purchased in Colombia (but it might not be much harder elsewhere) - and what happens to you if you're too nosy for some people's liking:
    http://www.cyclinginquisition.com/2014/01/omerta-and-violence-cost-of-merely.html?m=1

(via Matt Rendell)
  • ReplyReply

• Gotland

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 406
    • Awards: New Member of the Year 2013
    « Reply #884 on: January 15, 2014, 10:27 »
    Norwegian anti-doping hunter Mads Drange publish a tell all book. Where he claims that anti-doping work is rotten within. Main topic seems to be about athletics and IOC setting an agenda that it is ok to dope - just don't get caught.

Many key actors in the anti-doping world does not have the will to fight doping.

The work of ADA's in different countries is characterised as the work of "useful idiots". Which purpose is not to catch cheaters more than to uphold the façade that sports/athletics is clean. The system is created by IOC, and they decide which athlete is caught as a doper, and not the rules and regulations.

Mads Drange claims the reason for writing his book was the knowledge of a paper witheld by WADA. Apparently, the information in the report could measure the prevalence of doping in athletics. Moreover, the number of tested positives deviated from the number of reported findings by WADA.  WADA solved the problem by instructing the authors to keep quiet and not publish the report.

The last quote in the article is interesting. "Even though Norway has problems with doping, probably far greater that many can imagine, the problem is relative in comparison to other countries [other than Scandinavia]"

Translations to English are done by me with some help by google. Any errors are mine.

http://www.tv2.no/a/5221376#.UtZVpGTuJk4
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:47 by Gotland »
    "Emma is Queen of consistency" Peloton Watch

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #885 on: January 15, 2014, 12:26 »
    An interesting article on PRP (platelet-rich plasma) and other dodgy methods; in German:
    Spiegel: Die Turbo-Heiler
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #886 on: January 15, 2014, 12:48 »
    An interesting article on PRP (platelet-rich plasma) and other dodgy methods; in German:
    Spiegel: Die Turbo-Heiler

The business with Spurs was in the British press iirc near the end of last year and predictably it generated no more than a muted response from either the press or the public.

What I remember particularly is that nobody used the word doping at any point, nor even the weak-tea alternative of "unfair competitive advantage".

Sometimes I wonder why we bother making any fuss at all in cycling when these idiots just stare blankly and say "so what?" But then the cops seem to like the easy bust of a  nice, juicy Grand Tour with no possibility of revenge from a rioting crowd.

Can you imagine the orange wig wearing bellies of Dutch Corner packing razor blades in the soles of their shoes and looking for trouble with the police? Didn't think so...
  • ReplyReply

• Gotland

• Hot Prospect
    « Reply #887 on: January 15, 2014, 20:54 »
    More Mads Drange in a Norwegian angle. He was responsible for setting up a national Blood Profiling Programme in 2007. Were a number of undisclosed athletes in a number of undisclosed disciplines were profiled.

He found many tampered blood profiles that displayed large variations among Norwegian athletes, some of them still active today. Drange found evidence  from EPO and blood doping in the blood profiles, and sought for a second opinion from a "leading international expert"  which verified his evidence of doping.

It is not clear why or if the samples were tested for EPO. The article states that the sample were taken to a lab in a hospital that was not WADA-credited.

Blood values saw a great change after 2009 [and the ABP was introduced ]. Mads Drange saw a dramatic change. He concludes that some of the athletes stopped doping, whilst others continued to dope within limits.

He's appalled about the athletes that dope/ continue to dope in a country that is world leading in anti-doping.

My comment on this is that he must imply cross-country skiiers and athletics. However, XC-skiing is the only sport big enough in Norway to raise bitterness and resentment in a employee to write a tell all book. It is possible that some professional riders, and maybe some skaters are in there too.

http://www.vg.no/sport/artikkel.php?artid=10149928
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 00:49 by Gotland »

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #889 on: January 19, 2014, 00:43 »
    hmm

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/18/sports/sportsspecial/18tour.html?_r=0

Hincapie, who now lives in Greenville, S.C., became the first support rider for Armstrong to win a daily stage in a Tour de France. He has not been known as a rider who could so easily handle such a grueling day of climbing. Usually, he paces Armstrong to the last climb of the stage and then drops back, his mission accomplished.

But on Sunday, another sweltering day on which the field rode with jerseys open and their heart-rate monitors exposed, Hincapie was part of a 14-man breakaway that left the pack behind early and built a huge lead.

Nobody in the attack group ranked higher than 24th over all - everyone was at least 24:40 behind Armstrong - so they were left free to blaze ahead over the 205.5 kilometers (128 miles) from Lézat-sur-Lèze to Pla d'Adet, a ski resort above the town of St.-Lary-Soulan.

Hincapie said he did not plan to make a push for the stage victory. "I just thought, 'I'll get ahead and I'll definitely be there for Lance in the last two climbs.' "

But when the breakaway group's lead topped 18 minutes, Hincapie was told by team officials to ride for himself and try to win. "It's your day, go for it," his team director, Johan Bruyneel, told him over the radio that most riders wear in their ears.

Hincapie is mostly known as a rider who thrives in one-day classics, having finished second in Paris-Roubaix this year. "Every year I seem to get better on the climbs," he said.

Huge crowds watched the riders ascend four mountains ranked first category on a scale of climbing length, steepness and general difficulty. Another climb was ranked second category, and the final climb was ranked beyond category.

Until sprinting away about 300 meters (328 yards) before the finish, Hincapie completed the final ascent alongside Oscar Pereiro, a Spaniard with the Phonak team. "There were so many people that we couldn't get away," Hincapie said about the crowds that narrowed the road until the final kilometer, where barriers restrained them.

After easily outsprinting Pereiro, Hincapie coasted across the finish line with his hands on his head, seemingly in disbelief, before he broke into a smile.

He was timed in 6 hours 6 minutes 38 seconds, an average speed of 21 miles an hour. Pereiro was second, 6 seconds behind, and Pietro Caucchioli, an Italian with the Crédit Agricole team, was third, 38 seconds behind.

Basso and Armstrong arrived together, 5:04 behind Hincapie, allowing Pereiro to move up to 17th place, 19:30 behind Armstrong, and Hincapie to move up to 18th, 19:35 behind.

More significant, Rasmussen lost 1:28 and Jan Ullrich, a German with the T-Mobile team, lost 1:24. Ullrich, who won the Tour in 1997 and has finished second five times, is fourth over all and may use the final time trial to try to overcome Rasmussen for a spot on the three-step victory podium at the culmination of the race in Paris next Sunday.

This Sunday belonged to the Discovery Channel team, with Hincapie winning the most difficult stage of the Tour and Armstrong surging ahead of most of his chief rivals.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #891 on: January 19, 2014, 16:35 »
    No, the story is right, just complicated.

George raised an amount of money with Oscar, which George meant as an offer to Oscar to let George win the stage.
    Oscar says ok, but he thinks that what George wants to let Oscar win the stage.
    George goes ahead and wins the stage assuming that he has paid Oscar for it.

Oscar needless to say confused, question is wether George did actually cough up.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #892 on: January 19, 2014, 16:50 »
    sure, but that's not what the tweet you quoted says

or, not directly at least, it is possible Pereiro still got the money of course, but he did not let him win
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Gotland

• Hot Prospect
    « Reply #894 on: January 20, 2014, 09:32 »

Here's the full link to the Guardian piece that JSG posted through friebo's twitter.

It's a summary of Mads Drange's critique of the lack of anti-doping. His two main points are 1. to little has been done to fight doping and when the fight started ie. the blood passport it was too late.

2. It's a money problem ADA's are being outgunned by dopers due to lack of funding.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/jan/19/norway-drug-tests
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #895 on: January 20, 2014, 17:19 »
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #896 on: January 20, 2014, 22:26 »
    Not really news but it qualifies as one of those unusual tidbits.

I happened to be examining the case of a Bulgarian rider called Vladimir Koev, who has ridden for such paragons of virtue as Konya Torku and whose two positives in 2006 and 2010 somehow escaped me.

There is very little information except from the UCI itself: Stanozolol in 2006 and in 2010 the Sylvain Georges favourite Heptaminol. According to the UCI, his ban started on June 11 2010.

So far so good.

What was odd though, I thought, when researching Koev's team history, was that despite serving an 8-year suspension for his second offence and thus generally disappearing from competition, he somehow managed in 2012 to race to a podium spot as an élite-sans-contrat rider...

... and then get himself signed by a Continental team where he was able to race for a bit less than a month before once again disappearing into the mists of time.

I thought there had to be an administrative error somewhere here. How could this Koev race again two years after getting slapped with an 8-year ban?

Rub your eyes, because there he is on the results sheet of the 2012 Tour of Serbia, won by Stefan Schumacher.

Well, the only logical explanation is that either a) Koev was not sanctioned for two whole years because of an appeal or lost paperwork, or b) Koev broke the terms of his suspension just for a month or so because he is a beast, which would be the cooler story of the two.

Today, Koev is an approved sports agent. With all that experience of coming out of enforced retirement, perhaps Chris Horner should give him a call ...
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #897 on: January 20, 2014, 22:34 »
    I just had a short look in bulgarian media (maybe you can ask killswitch for more detailed information), the only news about a ban I can find are from september 2012. So I guess it was backdated to june 2010

http://www.probike-bg.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=4022
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #899 on: January 21, 2014, 20:56 »
    my posts vanished :o
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.