collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 7543
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Darkside - General news
« Reply #1080 on: July 22, 2014, 15:24 »
Vayer writing for Le Monde
No idea what exactly is in this, just saw it on Twitter (thanks Tanja).

Apparently something about Andy and bio-passport trouble. :shh
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #1081 on: July 22, 2014, 18:24 »
    Vayer writing for Le Monde
    No idea what exactly is in this, just saw it on Twitter (thanks Tanja).

Apparently something about Andy and bio-passport trouble. :shh

I'll translate. Please wait ...
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1082 on: July 22, 2014, 19:03 »
    http://www.lemonde.fr/tour-de-france/article/2014/07/15/nibali-et-son-equipe-se-promenent_4457576_1616918.html

Nibali in Froome's slipstream

Antoine Vayer in Le Monde, 15 July 2014

"I'm disappointed," is an expression you hear everywhere in cycling. The cyclist underestimates himself while the footballer overrates himself. It's hard to reconcile this attitude. Jaded by revelations of cheating, the public no longer believes it. Only the latest was the disqualification of Denis Menchov from the 2010 Tour podium, after Alberto Contador had already been cut. Andy Schleck is the last man standing, but not for very long. He's been pretty miserable ever since. I'm disappointed, he said later. To turn disappointment around, you have to talk positive.

One: Chris Froome's abandon on Stage 5 due to crashes. This is a big relief. With miraculous, 430W performances, he was looking like doing better than Armstrong. He would have dominated this edition.

Two: The Saxo Bank team and Alberto, "directed" by Bjarne Riis and belonging to the mutant 450W zone, were looking questionable. On the Col de la Croix des Moinats during the first stage in the Vosges, the Saxo riders rode at more than 27km/h. Contador finished it off with a record climb of the Mauselaine, pushing 545W for 5'11". Extrapolating those numbers, he looked very capable of reaching his miraculous performances of 2009 at more than 430W for the long cols. His crash spared us that. One less cause for stress.

Three: Thomas Voeckler tried a repeat of his crazy breakaways of past times, which were equivalent to those performances of Virenque, Hamilton, Landis and Rasmussen. He slipped away with a little group, taking on the Petit Ballon (9.4km at 8.08%), the Platzerwaesel (7.05km at 8.36%) and the Oderen (6.55km at 5.87%), climbed at a tempo of more than 380W by the monster Tony Martin. Voeckler blew up on the Cold des Chevrères (3.5km at 9.5%) instead of pulling away and winning like he used to. That was reassuring.

TWO EMPTY STEPS

Four: Jean-Christophe Péraud, spokesman for the "less than 410W average" club on Grand Tour climbs (which includes Bardet, Pinot and others of the "new generation"), told us: "I won races like the Critérium International this year with the same power I've always had. That's new. Others like me have finished near the front too, just behind Froome and Contador. Now since yesterday, we're major factors in this Tour and we can even dream of a podium." That is encouraging.

What's worrying though is Vincenzo Nibali and his team. They're walking it. He belongs to the "more than 410W average" club. Winning the 2010 Vuelta and the 2013 Giro with 414W both times, on the wrong side of suspicious. After his demonstration in England (first in Sheffield) and on the pavé where he was flying (second in Arenberg) "with more power than on the cols", he pulled off the win on the Planche des Belles Filles (5.9km at 8.5%) without even getting started until halfway up the climb. He came close to the miraculous ride by Froome (16'23"), just 19" down and barely 13W less than the 467W of the Brit.

Nibali, in contrast to his Astana boss Vinokourov, himself a former 'mutant', denied working with the dodgy doctor Ferrari as he had been accused by Ivano Fanini, the manager of the Amore e Vita team. So the 2010 Tour podium now has two empty steps and it will be thus in 2014 based on current standings. On each occasion, the riders fell, on the results of a dope test or on asphalt. That just leaves Schleck in 2010 and Nibali in 2014. The Italian could still yet cause our 'speed cameras' on the high mountains to flash. And if he doesn't fall, there will still be some who will be depressed.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3024
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #1083 on: July 22, 2014, 20:00 »

http://www.lemonde.fr/tour-de-france/article/2014/07/15/nibali-et-son-equipe-se-promenent_4457576_1616918.html

Nibali in Froome's slipstream

Antoine Vayer in Le Monde, 15 July 2014

So, what Vayer is saying is that any performance NOT by a French rider is dirty, but the French are all clean.
    Have I read that right?
     Mmmm, I wonder what rational he'll come up with to explain how the guy he just called dirty, got gapped by
    a clean French rider, today?
     Not to mention Valverde getting dropped like a bag doggie doos.
     Day after a rest day, too.

The guy has become a poisonous loon, who unfortunately is taken far too seriously by sections of the media, both professional and social.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1630
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #1084 on: July 24, 2014, 23:35 »

So, what Vayer is saying is that any performance NOT by a French rider is dirty, but the French are all clean.
    Have I read that right?
     Mmmm, I wonder what rational he'll come up with to explain how the guy he just called dirty, got gapped by
    a clean French rider, today?
     Not to mention Valverde getting dropped like a bag doggie doos.
     Day after a rest day, too.

The guy has become a poisonous loon, who unfortunately is taken far too seriously by sections of the media, both professional and social.

I would not take it as far as you have, re: Vayer, and there is an inherent problem. We have a noticeable absence of facts and trust. Vayer, at least, gives the public standards to judge by, and an "expert" opinion. I really don't need to put the "expert" in quotes, as he is truly an expert if anyone is. Which does not necessarily mean he is right.

But we NEED others, besides team managers who are former riders and riders who are currently involved to give us something to go on. There is too little data that falls into the category of "known".

Since he offers SOMETHING to hold on to, and it seems to be the most reasonable "handle" for objectivity available to most people, he gets the stage, so to speak.

I don't think he is being partial to French riders here - it is strictly the - what did he call it? The >410W club?

And, you have to admit, we ALL have our doubts about the >410W club. But I, like you, also have my doubts about Vayer's conclusions. He may be too rigid, but I'm also glad he is out there.

Edit: corrected 450W to >410W.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 00:52 by hiero »
    . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #1085 on: July 25, 2014, 11:42 »
    So, we get through both Tour rest days without police raids and doping violations. But the Commonwealth Games hits day 2 and is already in trouble.

Glasgow 2014: Rhys Williams suspended over doping violation
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1086 on: July 25, 2014, 11:49 »
    So, we get through both Tour rest days without police raids and doping violations. But the Commonwealth Games hits day 2 and is already in trouble.

PR doping! :o

The Wales PR team goes into robot-overdrive. Did you notice this, folks?

From CJ's article above...

Williams, who was co-captain of the Wales athletics team in Glasgow, said: "I am utterly devastated about the news of this anti-doping rule violation, which has come as a great shock to me.

"From the outset, I would strongly like to state that I have not knowingly taken any banned substance."

"However, I recognise that the responsibility for this situation lies with me and I'm committed to working with UK Anti-Doping and will fully cooperate in the legal process."

As CJ's article states, this was Wales' second violation. In another story linked directly from there, the previous pinger, Gareth Warburton, had this to say on July 16th:

"The news of this anti-doping rule violation has come as a great shock to me," [Warburton] said in a statement.

"From the outset, I would like to state that I have not knowingly taken any banned substance."

"I recognise that the responsibility for this situation lies with me and I'm committed to working with UK Anti-Doping and will fully cooperate in the legal process," Warburton said.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/commonwealth-games/28329545
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #1087 on: July 25, 2014, 11:53 »
    Great spot L'arri!  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1088 on: August 07, 2014, 01:33 »

Damn runners. Gawd, didn't they START the modern doping era? Lasse Viren?

[tongue in cheek, folks, tongue in cheek.];)

But it does make me wonder if the vampires were more active at the Commonwealth Games, and if so, why.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1089 on: August 18, 2014, 16:28 »
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1090 on: August 26, 2014, 15:46 »
    This doesn't really belong in "news" - but I didn't know where to put it.

Ran across a link to Peloton mag - and checked out a column about Chiapucci's great escape, 1992 TdF, stage 13. Inspired me to go look it up on YouTube.

And, when I got there, and realized I was looking at a roll call of famous responders, I had to sigh, and think to myself: "visions of Floyd Landis breakaway". I've heard somewhere that Claudio was one of the dodgy ones, but this really brought that to highlight. Virenque, Big Mig, Gert-Jan T - they were all there. Big Mig is the only one of that trio who has not openly admitted or been caught - only having de facto conceded an admission. Idk if Chiappucci was ever caught - but it didn't matter. I turned off the video after only a few minutes.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1091 on: August 26, 2014, 18:26 »
    Idk if Chiappucci was ever caught - but it didn't matter.

Two spells in the cooler for high haematocrit effectively ended his career in the late 90s.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11175
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #1092 on: August 27, 2014, 19:11 »
    https://twitter.com/Kenny_Pryde/status/504687661622513664

Giovanni Di Maria born 96 - epo

Luca Cingi born 91 -epo
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3563
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #1093 on: August 27, 2014, 21:39 »
    Giovanni Di Maria born 96 - epo

Luca Cingi born 91 -epo
    Interesting.

http://www.rxlist.com/aranesp-drug.htm
    Aranesp (darbepoetin alfa) is an erythropoiesis-stimulating protein that is produced in Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cells  :o by recombinant DNA technology.
    And people are cool with injecting that into themselves so that they can ride a bike faster.  :cool  :S

http://www.aranesp.com
    Aranesp® is used to treat a lower than normal number of red blood cells (anemia) caused by chronic kidney disease in patients on dialysis and not on dialysis.
    Aranesp® is used to treat a lower than normal number of red blood cells (anemia) caused by chemotherapy that will be used for at least two months after starting Aranesp®.

And some possible pleasant side effects included all at no extra charge!  :shh
    (Too many to list. Just follow the link.)
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3563
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1784
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #1095 on: September 03, 2014, 14:13 »
    So apparently Wiggins has a foundation set up to comeback poverty among children in *uk and there is a lot of anger about how some of that money has been channeled through to Wiggle-Honda. To be fair that could be PR, so I think whoever is upset have a pretty weak case.

http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/cykling/article4996656.ece (Danish) although it would seem they have it from somewhere else, given EB's standards probably some newspaper deemed less than trustworthy, anyways what is on the cover of Bild today?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7543
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1096 on: September 03, 2014, 14:16 »
    although it would seem they have it from somewhere else, given EB's standards probably some newspaper deemed less than trustworthy, anyways what is on the cover of Bild today?
    They say that they have it from Cycling Weekly. I'd normally call CW trustworthy enough. It's not the Daily Mail, after all.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #1097 on: September 03, 2014, 14:21 »
    They say that they have it from Cycling Weekly. I'd normally call CW trustworthy enough. It's not the Daily Mail, after all.

such a BS article, I mean they could give half the money they take in and they could just call it PR costs, so can't be a case. As far as donating money if people donate to a charity which only claim to fame is Wiggins you have to think they like cycling, and all charities need to have PR done, why not sponsor a team instead of having telemarketers call people?

Shame on them for the poor headline chose though: 'Tour de France Winner Spends Charity Money on Women in Lycra' would get way more clicks for sure.  :D
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13101
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1098 on: September 03, 2014, 14:31 »
    it has been deleted from CW's website, but currently its still in the cache

Bradley Wiggins’ charity comes under scrutiny

Bradley Wiggins Foundation criticised as it is unclear where donations are being spent

Reporting by Trevor Ward

Sir Bradley Wiggins’s charitable foundation has come under fire for using public donations to fund its sponsorship of professional women’s cycling team Wiggle-Honda.

The Bradley Wiggins Foundation — launched in a blaze of publicity two years ago on the back of his Tour de France and Olympic triumphs — has also been criticised for late payment of invoices after its first event, the ‘Ride With Brad’ sportive, held in Lancashire in August 2012, failed to sell out.

Meanwhile, supporters who contributed thousands of pounds to the Foundation have been left in the dark about how their money is being spent, while other potential donors have had emails and letters ignored.

When contacted by Cycling Weekly, a spokesman for Wiggins said: “Both the Foundation and Brad personally have made payments to Wiggle-Honda in the last two years, and there have also been other payments to various other young cyclists by the Foundation.”

He declined to comment further regarding the amounts involved or other claims about the Foundation, which is a registered charity.

None of the payments to Wiggle-Honda Women’s Pro-Cycling Team is recorded under the Foundation’s activities at the website of the Charity Commission, which regulates the work of charities in England and Wales. The Foundation’s first set of accounts is not due to be published until February 2015.

“The Foundation’s stated aims were to help underprivileged kids, not professional athletes, so is this really something it should be doing?” asked one supporter, a Manchester music promoter who asked not to be named.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1099 on: September 03, 2014, 17:02 »
    . . .

Shame on them for the poor headline chose though: 'Tour de France Winner Spends Charity Money on Women in Lycra' would get way more clicks for sure.  :D

Unfortunately, I can not in print reproduce the proper tone, but a dear friend once taught me the following phrase:

"YES! It Would!!"

:lol
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1101 on: September 11, 2014, 07:37 »
    Has it been mentioned that Valentin Iglinskiy apparently tested positive during Eneco? and that he has been fired, Valentin has admitted doping as well apparently.

http://www.feltet.dk/nyheder/fyreseddel_til_iglinskiy/ (Danish)

Edit: It has it's own thread I see, not marked "new" to me either, move along I suppose...
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #1102 on: September 12, 2014, 11:28 »
    Fits best here I guess, not really but ....

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/510373552793870336
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #1103 on: September 13, 2014, 17:38 »
    Another EPO positive - Rabottini:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/09/news/italian-rabottini-suspended-epo-positive_345651

That makes quite a rash of "catches" this year. Anyone hazard a guess as to why we are seeing these?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1105 on: September 19, 2014, 18:32 »
    From Festina dopes to Fiesta hopes?

Bruno Roussel, DS of RMO and subsequently Festina during That Tour, has announced that he is returning to team management after a herniated hiatus of 15 years.

The former infamous jailbird says he touted his CV to various national authorities and has been recruited to helm the Mexican junior and U23 squads.

Roussel, who will be making his début in Ponferrada next week, can already claim to be up to speed with one current trend in world cycling: he was only offered a one-year contract.

http://www.ouest-france.fr/node/2833627 (FR)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13101
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1106 on: September 24, 2014, 20:28 »
    https://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/radsport-jaksche-doping-teil-systems-132035799.html

Jaksche says nothing has changed, compares cyclists to hookers no one cares about, the "pimps" are still the same as ever before.

(the full interview has not been published yet as far as I can see)
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #1107 on: September 24, 2014, 20:33 »
    https://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/radsport-jaksche-doping-teil-systems-132035799.html

Jaksche says nothing has changed, compares cyclists to hookers no one cares about, the "pimps" are still the same as ever before.

(the full interview has not been published yet as far as I can see)

Strong and hard words by Jaksche. Its probably true, despite all the screaming about how cycling's  "culture" has changed.. The system keeps itself in place, the "pimps" deny all involvement after their "prostitutes" have been caught.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #1109 on: September 29, 2014, 19:53 »
    https://twitter.com/OlympicStatman/status/516660851139674113

GT
     Moscow laboratory first in the world to learn to find peptides in drug trials

Tags Nicholas Dopes  RusADA  doping

The former head of the Russian Anti-Doping Service Professor Nikolay Dopes told that the Moscow anti-doping laboratory, managed the first in the world to detect peptides in doping sample, more than one year working in this direction.

In September, the commission RUSADA not participate in training camp and competition seven Russian athletes in doping sample one of which was found hexarelin - a drug from the group of peptides. Never before doping services could not "catch" athletes on the use of peptides, which are considered very effective doping.

"Our Russian anti-doping laboratory has been leading this work in the field of peptides with the Cologne laboratory. They are large in this area docks. But I would not say now that the fight against doping after this incident occurred some new era. Similar developments are carried out over the years.

A few years ago it became clear that sooner or later the drugs will be caught. But first I have not heard that someone in the sample were detected peptides, because until recently it was believed that to catch them is in principle impossible. Catching them could only by circumstantial evidence "- quoted Durmanova ITAR-TASS.
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Posts

Re: RIP/ memorial announcements by Echoes
    [Today at 12:28]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by Leadbelly
    [November 19, 2019, 19:18]

Re: Tokyo 2020 Olympic Road Race & ITT thread by Leadbelly
    [November 18, 2019, 15:37]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by search