collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 13101
  • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Re: Darkside - General news
« Reply #1200 on: December 15, 2014, 18:34 »
I don't know, in that recent interview Galimzyanov said he owes Katusha ~300000 EUR or something like that because of his positive. But sure, Russia is a different story, no idea how the other European teams exactly handle that.

Cyclingtips meanwhile has also picked up Androni's press release by the way

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/12/androni-venezuela-team-riders-undertake-to-pay-large-fine-in-case-of-doping-positive/
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #1201 on: December 15, 2014, 21:10 »
    I don't know, in that recent interview Galimzyanov said he owes Katusha ~300000 EUR or something like that because of his positive. But sure, Russia is a different story, no idea how the other European teams exactly handle that.

Cyclingtips meanwhile has also picked up Androni's press release by the way

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/12/androni-venezuela-team-riders-undertake-to-pay-large-fine-in-case-of-doping-positive/

Tough clause on minimum wage or less. ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1202 on: December 15, 2014, 21:15 »
    indeed. Galimzyanov had to pay 70% of his annual salary if I remember correctly, which sounds more reasonable - problem was, that it was his first year off minimum wage, and he tested positive in February or so...

edit: I still believe that's the only reason why di Luca signed at Katusha for free by the way, 70% of 0 is still 0 :D
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1203 on: December 15, 2014, 21:20 »
    indeed. Galimzyanov had to pay 70% of his annual salary if I remember correctly, which sounds more reasonable - problem was, that it was his first year off minimum wage, and he tested positive in February or so...

edit: I still believe that's the only reason why di Luca signed at Katusha for free by the way, 70% of 0 is still 0 :D

And for those with short memories:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/steegmans-katusha-dissolve-contract
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11175
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #1205 on: December 16, 2014, 20:07 »
    this is a weird story. If I understand that correctly, he said the package including the forbidden stuff was given to him by a former cyclist (Jose Maldonado) to deliver it to the manager of the Mexican (?) team, José Vicente Peidró.

Aguirre himself then continued to travel to Switzerland to continue what he was supposed to do: riding his bike.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1206 on: December 16, 2014, 21:22 »
    When did they stop asking those inane questions at airports ...

... Did you pack your luggage yourself, Sir/Madam?

... Did anyone give you anything to take with you, Sir/Madam?

If asked these questions, then this guy lied.

Easily done. I lied some months ago. I had items that been given to me just before checking in and I just didn't think about it.

Even now, I still think that's why I got singled out by security that day. That and the fact that I was an unshaven lone male traveller with longer hair travelling to the meth capital of the US.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #1207 on: December 16, 2014, 21:49 »
    by the way this happened in April, and the Mexican Federation was notified by the UCI in October...
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3563
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #1208 on: December 16, 2014, 22:12 »
    by the way this happened in April, and the Mexican Federation was notified by the UCI in October...
    What am I missing here? How could his own federation have remained unaware, especially if he had been stopped by the police in Spain?

How was the UCI made aware of it, and how could such an event possibly go unnoticed by his own Nat Fed for so long?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #1209 on: December 16, 2014, 22:26 »
    don't know, I only got that from a facebook post of another Mexican rider, who (to my understanding of it) mainly asks the question why the Mexican Federation has not made it public themself, although they were notified two months ago

https://twitter.com/LuisE_Lemus/status/544968788974649345

(gt)

"We must be objective and rely on the facts, nobody here was positive, but with possession, this happened in April, and the Union Cycliste Internationale - UCI sent a letter to the Mexican Federation of Cycling in October, then because the news is given released in December? For the federation did not make a statement before? if they want to avoid misunderstandings that leave things clear from the start and did not learn our other sources."
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1210 on: December 16, 2014, 22:33 »

"We must be objective and rely on the facts, nobody here was positive, but with possession..."

Is that the new mindset?  :S

So we're positive that they were PEDs, and positive that he was in possession of them.

As for the rest of it? No biggie. Carry on.   :shh
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #1211 on: December 16, 2014, 22:45 »
    As for the rest of it? No biggie. Carry on.   :shh

à propos...something I read on cn a couple of days ago, a "Cycling Canada Doping Consultation Report"

Earlier this year, Cycling Canada sent out a request for members of the cycling community to participate in a "consultation" on doping within cycling in Canada. The firm LLB Strategies was hired to undertake the project, which consisted of one-on-one anonymous and confidential interviews with participants.

[...]

64 people were contacted, consisting of athletes, coaches, sports administrators and cycling stakeholders - 21 athletes, 6 administrators, 2 team managers, and one each of a sports leader, coach and parent.

[...]

Interviewees believe that there is no organized doping culture or system in cycling in Canada and that any such activities are isolated instances by individuals.

Suppliers and influencers of doping are doctors, trainers, coaches, equipment suppliers, sports administrators and (in most cases) other cyclists.

[...]

Two interviewees independently provided information that a former Canadian sports administrator had assisted Canadian riders in obtaining PEDs.

well, if only two of them say that there is organized doping...nothing to be seen there I guess  :-x
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1212 on: December 16, 2014, 22:57 »
    I read that as well. It seemed to me that the authors of that report were looking for public vending  machines.

Insert credit card

Press B4 for Testosterone

Press E6 for HGH

Press F1 for EPO

Anything short of that would be considered "secret" and therefore not organized, or, more importantly, not systemic for the Canucks.

Or something like that.

• ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1628
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #1213 on: December 16, 2014, 23:15 »
    I read that as well. It seemed to me that the authors of that report were looking for public vending  machines.

Anything short of that would be considered "secret" and therefore not organized, or, more importantly, not systemic for the Canucks.

Or something like that.

You forgot C6 for Thyroid meds
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 861
    « Reply #1214 on: December 17, 2014, 18:43 »
    December 2014 Ricardo Ricco update: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ricco-describes-the-cycling-reform-commission-as-a-joke

STILL CRAZY

Dude nearly killed himself with dope and is mad that the Italian federation didn't reduce his ban after he cooperated with the reform commission. I completely agree with the Italian federation here, I think for Ricardo's own safety and health he should never be allowed to compete in professional sport again. The fact that he is talking about taking on some hill climb records is honestly quite worrying.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #1215 on: December 17, 2014, 18:48 »
    “I wouldn't make the same mistakes that I made. I wouldn't dope, or I'd at least do it differently.”

:D :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1218 on: January 02, 2015, 20:07 »
    https://www.twitter.com/fredgrappe/status/551069866971901953

https://www.twitter.com/fredgrappe/status/551070736186880001

https://www.twitter.com/fredgrappe/status/551072396548259843

Grappe provides evidence here for a contention that has existed almost as long as the bio-passport itself: the idea that blood values alone are insufficient as a measure of athlete performance.

For WADA, which seeks in an ideal world to be a one-stop solution for all sports and all countries, the bio-passport panacea was that it could be applicable to all endurance sports. However, critics felt that it would be better to target resources at developing and implementing a solution tailored closer to the characteristics of each individual sport. The "one size fits all" approach of blood profiling was considered insufficient by these critics.

Enter Grappe, who conducted research on a generation of sportspeople including FDJ's Thibaut Pinot, who was marked out as a talented individual and, if we are to believe the narrative, submitted to testing from as early as seventeen years old. Theses tests of Grappe et al included various parameters, and the researchers concluded that an athlete profile consisting of several threshold metrics (including power output) would give a better picture of a rider's performance authenticity than blood baseline alone.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1219 on: January 03, 2015, 10:04 »
    Three years after receiving a two-year suspension, Ezequiel Mosquera has succeeded in his appeal to overturn the sanction. The Galician, who finished second behind Nibali in the 2010 Vuelta before testing positive for hydroxyethyl starch, will now have his podium spot reinstated. Now 39, Mosquera is not expected to make a comeback.

http://ciclismo.as.com/ciclismo/2015/01/02/mas_ciclismo/1420233665_711112.html (ES)
  • ReplyReply

• Race Radio

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 312
    « Reply #1220 on: January 03, 2015, 15:03 »
    While the study Grappe quotes is interesting it has little to do with most BioPassport cases.

Looking back at the BioPassport cases the UCI filed most of the available public information shows that they target spikes that are around a competition period Not during altitude training. Menchov, Pellizotti, JTL, Kruziger. All had spikes in, or around, a big competition. Not during, or around, altitude training. The passport form also has a box that a rider can check that indicates if they have recently been at altitude. 
  • ReplyReply
  • Pro Cycling is like sausage, I love it but I don't want to know how it is made.

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1221 on: January 03, 2015, 15:10 »
    While the study Grappe quotes is interesting it has little to do with most BioPassport cases.

Looking back at the BioPassport cases the UCI filed most of the available public information shows that they target spikes that are around a competition period Not during altitude training. Menchov, Pellizotti, JTL, Kruziger. All had spikes in, or around, a big competition. Not during, or around, altitude training. The passport form also has a box that a rider can check that indicates if they have recently been at altitude.

Fair enough but how about that idea of a broader bio-passport consisting of more metrics? What do you reckon to that? Because that is, I think, Grappe's motivation for these tweets.

This is what some sports scientists have been saying for a while: they would like to see other data in there, including typical power thresholds on a per rider basis, in excess of which that rider's performance could also be considered suspect.
  • ReplyReply

• Race Radio

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 312
    « Reply #1222 on: January 03, 2015, 15:21 »
    Fair enough but how about that idea of a broader bio-passport consisting of more metrics? What do you reckon to that? Because that is, I think, Grappe's motivation for these tweets.

This is what some sports scientists have been saying for a while: they would like to see other data in there, including typical power thresholds on a per rider basis, in excess of which that rider's performance could also be considered suspect.

I 100% agree with this. Highroad used power along with their internal program and Garmin still uses it when engaging with new riders.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1223 on: January 03, 2015, 23:34 »
    Now 39, Mosquera is not expected to make a comeback.
    And somewhere, Chris Horner is saying, "Why not? What's the big deal?"  :P
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1225 on: January 06, 2015, 10:26 »
    Kortrijk's public prosecutor has decided to charge Patrick Lefevere, Tom Boonen, Stijn Devolder and five others historically linked to the QuickStep team with tax evasion.

The defendants, who have been under investigation for some years in this matter, had attempted to "hide revenues from the tax authorities using complex, fraudulent methods."

Boonen and several other riders had already legally settled certain other outstanding taxes in 2013, but this was understood to be unrelated to the present case.

A date for trial has yet to be announced.

http://www.demorgen.be/binnenland/boonen-en-lefevere-naar-rechter-voor-fraude-a2172348/ (NL)

http://www.lesoir.be/749915/article/sports/cyclisme/2015-01-06/tom-boonen-et-patrick-lefevere-renvoyes-devant-justice-pour-evasion-fiscale (FR)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 861
    « Reply #1227 on: January 07, 2015, 20:04 »
    In some cases, the use of Toradol was prophylactic—that is, given before games in anticipation of future pain, and not to treat current injuries—and accompanied by little or no physical examination of players.

flipping disgraceful. Just had a quick glance through ESPN's college football pages, no mention of this story anywhere. Fans and journalists continue to be in denial about the massive drug problem in the American college athletic system.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1228 on: January 14, 2015, 08:30 »
    https://twitter.com/QuentinPacher/status/554921207884427264

Moto GP rider happy to show off his activities. Seems legit.

EDIT: pretty sure Moto GP is WADA-affiliated, so this is actually a banned practice. Tweet to self-delete in 3...2...
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #1229 on: January 14, 2015, 13:49 »
    this is awesome indeed

and yes, the MotoGP is very strict about this, one or two years ago Anthony West received a 30 day suspension for doping. I think he even had to miss one of the post season tests :o

if anyone is interested to read how serious they actually are, this interview with Ben Spies is quite a good read:

http://motomatters.com/interview/2012/09/11/ben_spies_on_doping_in_motorcycle_racing.html

and yes, tbh I can understand athletes to be annoyed to update their location in ADAMS every 24 hours, if they are not going to be tested anyway
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Posts

Re: RIP/ memorial announcements by Echoes
    [Today at 12:28]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by Leadbelly
    [November 19, 2019, 19:18]

Re: Tokyo 2020 Olympic Road Race & ITT thread by Leadbelly
    [November 18, 2019, 15:37]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by search