collapse

M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1080
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Re: Darkside - General news
« Reply #1800 on: November 15, 2017, 03:10 »
Well, then, I think it is safe to say that Gaiman and Cancellara won't be inviting each other over for dinner any time soon.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gaimon-stands-by-cancellara-mechanical-doping-comments
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6616
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1801 on: November 28, 2017, 16:23 »
    http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/uci-statement-the-vuelta-colombia/

Eight (yes, eight!) riders tested positive during the 2017 Vuelta a Colombia. :o :cool

Apparently it was targeted testing; and either the riders didn't expect to be tested (that frequently, or at all), or thought the lab wouldn't find anything, or a mix of both.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's Pro Cycling Correspondent
    2018 Synergy Baku Press Officer; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2222
    « Reply #1802 on: November 28, 2017, 20:03 »
    I don't find it surprising after some discussions I have read on cycling in Columbia over the past few years, but it isn't amusing to have one's concerns confirmed once again like this. One question, I see that the race is OFF the UCI calendar for next year. Is that in any way related, as in did the organizers pull the race from the listing to take back control of the doping controls? Or did the UCI say hasta la vista to the organizers?
    Another issue is: great none of those are among the best racers there  :S

Somehow reminds me of X-C skiing and the Russia scandals right now.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1803 on: November 28, 2017, 20:30 »
    One question, I see that the race is OFF the UCI calendar for next year. Is that in any way related, as in did the organizers pull the race from the listing to take back control of the doping controls? Or did the UCI say hasta la vista to the organizers?
    Instead of the Vuelta a Colombia, the Colombian cycling federation will organise the strangely-named "Colombia Oro y Paz" (that's "Gold and Peace"), category 2.1, in February 2018. Hoping for participation of all their European pros, no doubt.

It always sounded a bit odd to me that the Vuelta a Colombia was pulled off the UCI calendar purely because there's another race on in the same year ... so, yes, getting control of the controls might have been a thought that crossed their mind.
    On top of that, the UCI has for years been unsatisfied with the race not meeting a number of criteria necessary to retain UCI classification, e.g. participation of five foreign teams (if there were 2-3 non-Colombian teams in the race, that was already much), limiting the number of riders per team to eight (nine riders per team were continually allowed), keeping the number of race days at not more than 10, etc.

Colombian domestic cycling is, there is sadly no other word for it, a total shambles.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2222
    « Reply #1804 on: November 28, 2017, 20:56 »

Colombian domestic cycling is, there is sadly no other word for it, a total shambles.

I think you are right, at least the way we see it from here - but reading about the fallout that Nairo Quintana, Jairlinson Pantano et al had with the Columbian cycling federation last year, I think they would agree as well. I also think that this applies to at least one other south american country and to other sports than just cycling (but cycling might have one of the better systems to expose it.) 

I am a bit of a negligent pessimist about improving standards in sports without improving standards in the society first. If cheating and corruption and impunidade is the norm in schools, public administration, business and even the courts - good luck bringing about  clean sports. That's my pessimism. The negiigence is I don't think we should give up anyway because that is the only way things can get better. Changes for the better tend to come in very small increments and are hardly noticeable when they come - but look back and you might realize it's actually come a long way. Looking forward there's a long way to go but -it is important to  keep walking.

• ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1080
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #1805 on: November 29, 2017, 13:50 »
    Dropped in because I saw the news re the Vuelta a Columbia CERA jackpot haul.   :o :cool

Don't forget, we heard it here first!   :lol  In our coverage of the South American and Caribbean races, remember? I'm trying to remember who was writing up that race coverage, and I browsed the forum briefly looking for it, but didn't find it.

Anyway, good to see some controls snapping closed and catching something!
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 10618
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1806 on: December 13, 2017, 22:58 »

Team LottoNL-Jumbo has expelled Juan-José Lobato, Antwan Tolhoek and Pascal Eenkhoorn from the training camp in Girona for disciplinary reasons. The three riders had used or were in possession of (non-doping-related) sleep medication that was not provided by or used in the team. This is a serious violation of the strict regulations of the cycling team.

Because of their unacceptable behaviour, the team’s management has expelled the three riders indefinitely. At a meeting with all riders and staff present earlier this evening, the entire team strongly distanced themselves from this behaviour, which contravenes the core values of the team. The three riders involved were also present. Where necessary, they shall be guided to prevent recurrence.

https://www.teamlottojumbo.nl/cycling-news/team-lottonljumbo-sends-three-riders-home
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #1807 on: December 14, 2017, 11:22 »
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2122
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #1809 on: December 16, 2017, 17:07 »
    here is an older article, to take this into context

https://www.aol.co.uk/sport/2015/12/28/katusha-doctor-claims-use-of-sleeping-pills-worse-than-doping-in-cycling/

Has Tony read this? :D

Two years on and we have this situation.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

58x11

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 3
    « Reply #1810 on: December 19, 2017, 23:58 »
    Jim Jarmusch should plan for a sequel: Coffee and sleeping pills (plus casual alcohol, cocaine and sometmes even ecstasy). Two cyclists meet in the bar and share their secrets.

In any case, Lobato wins "Sleeping Beauty" prize. Cannot be woken... wow, crazy.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1811 on: January 08, 2018, 14:01 »
    the positive result is confirmed now, after 15 months. Allegedly it came down to contaminated water though. The judicial inquiry (as it would have been a breach of the German anti doping law) was closed last September already for a lack of proof. Whether the UCI will still ban him or not is not known yet

http://www.zeit.de/news/2017-07/11/radsport-positiver-dopingtest-bei-radprofi-matzka-11163603

20 months after testing positive, #bora Matzka now finally was banned for two years

http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/decisions-the-uci-anti-doping-tribunal/
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #1812 on: January 08, 2018, 16:01 »
    20 months after testing positive, #bora Matzka now finally was banned for two years

http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/decisions-the-uci-anti-doping-tribunal/
    So he's free to race again in four months?! :lol

Sometimes I understand why other people call our sport a farce.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #1813 on: January 08, 2018, 16:15 »

November 2018- No idea why, it says "two years" and disqualification starting 03.03.2018 in the file

This one is funny as well:

https://ordentliche-gerichtsbarkeit.hessen.de/pressemitteilungen/rechtm%C3%A4%C3%9Figkeitspr%C3%BCfung-einer-dopingsperre-auf-cas-beschr%C3%A4nkbar

A German "professional cyclist" has sued the BSSG to compensate him for his (in his eyes) illegitimate whereabouts ban. It has been rejected as only the CAS can decide, not German justice - but the thing is: neither the German NADA nor the UCI have any Germany cyclists listed as banned for whereabouts infractions. So when did this happen, and who is it?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #1814 on: January 08, 2018, 16:18 »
    November 2018- No idea why, it says "two years" and disqualification starting 03.03.2018 in the file

https://ordentliche-gerichtsbarkeit.hessen.de/pressemitteilungen/rechtm%C3%A4%C3%9Figkeitspr%C3%BCfung-einer-dopingsperre-auf-cas-beschr%C3%A4nkbar

A German "professional cyclist" has sued the BSSG to compensate him for his (in his eyes) illegitimate whereabouts ban. It has been rejected as only the CAS can decide, not German justice - but the thing is: neither the German NADA nor the UCI have any Germany cyclists listed as banned for whereabouts infractions. So when did this happen, and who is it?
    Oh joy. :fp
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1433
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #1815 on: January 08, 2018, 18:57 »
    This is probably the funniest thing I’ve read all year!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bardiani-csf-rejoin-mpcc-on-probationary-basis/

Almost as if they’re worried that they won’t get an invitation to the Giro, which of course they won’t.

:lol
  • ReplyReply

• neppe

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 61
    « Reply #1816 on: January 08, 2018, 19:02 »

The UCI list doesn't list all banned cyclists, Ricco isn't on it either for instance. The explanation is in the first line, "over which the UCI has results management authority"
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #1817 on: January 08, 2018, 19:15 »
    The UCI list doesn't list all banned cyclists, Ricco isn't on it either for instance. The explanation is in the first line, "over which the UCI has results management authority"

yeah, but the NADA lists all cases in their yearly report (anonymously) - and according to that there haven't been any whereabouts violations in German cycling since 2010. But of course, maybe it's that guy, and German justice works even slower than expected
  • ReplyReply

• neppe

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #1818 on: January 08, 2018, 19:30 »

He's free to race again in November, but he hasn't had a team since the positive was known and i am assuming he accepted a provisional suspension. How likely is it that he is comming back?
  • ReplyReply

• neppe

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #1819 on: January 08, 2018, 19:50 »
    yeah, but the NADA lists all cases in their yearly report (anonymously) - and according to that there haven't been any whereabouts violations in German cycling since 2010. But of course, maybe it's that guy, and German justice works even slower than expected

My German is so poor I can't figure out what is known about the case, but some thoughts:

The case can be really new. And the yearly report for 2017 is probably not yet pubished?
    When the 3rd whereabouts failure is a fact there shouldn't be any reason for delay. The athlete should be suspended pronto.
    And the rider is not on a MPCC team, or there would have been an announcement from the team.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #1820 on: January 08, 2018, 20:22 »
    My German is so poor I can't figure out what is known about the case, but some thoughts:

The case can be really new. And the yearly report for 2017 is probably not yet pubished?
    When the 3rd whereabouts failure is a fact there shouldn't be any reason for delay. The athlete should be suspended pronto.
    And the rider is not on a MPCC team, or there would have been an announcement from the team.

it's not new, no, this is an upper court decision after an appeal, the first one came in 2015
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6373
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #1821 on: January 10, 2018, 16:35 »
    Since I cannot think of a road rider who matches this profile, my guess is that it's a (very slow) final decision on a whereabouts case involving mountain biker Manuel Fumic.

Fumic was quite a big name on the global MTB circuit and he comes from Hesse, the region where this court decision was made.

The original suspension dates back to 2008 when ADAMS was very, very new and at that time some of the earliest riders caught obviously decided to try to question the system.

If this is indeed the end of that lengthy process then it probably began because the original twelve-month suspension would have stopped Fumic from riding at the Olympics.

At that time, when provisional suspensions were not applicable, an appeal would have enabled him to keep riding pending a decision. In the end, Fumic did get to ride the Olympics and did not, afaik, serve his ban, but perhaps the authorities appealed further to keep the saga going.

Fumic later switched allegiance to Croatia as a birdflip to the German fed.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fumic-brothers-suspended-over-whereabouts/
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 16:49 by L'arri »
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #1822 on: January 10, 2018, 18:01 »
    the article above mentions a 12 months suspension (for three whereabouts violations) though while the Fumic brothers got away with 3 months (for two violations), didn't they?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1823 on: January 10, 2018, 19:47 »
    the article above mentions a 12 months suspension (for three whereabouts violations) though while the Fumic brothers got away with 3 months (for two violations), didn't they?

Yeah, it can't be Fumic, I guess. This article clarifies it:

https://m.grin.com/document/197308
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1824 on: January 10, 2018, 20:38 »
    Now I think I have a good guess (again :lol)!

What about Roger Kluge of Mitchelton-Scott?

The German pro whose 2010 "whereabouts" violation (actually two whereabouts and an alleged missed test) was only overruled more than a year and a half later.

The only thing that doesn't check out on this one was that Kluge continued to race so he doesn't appear to have served any period of suspension. Perhaps that's because he appealed and thus was not subject to suspension while the case was reviewed.

The plaintiff's claim was for lost profits, which I suppose could mean that he might have lost the opportunity of a more lucrative contract in the meantime while the case was still in progress.

https://www.dopeology.org/incidents/Kluge-missed-test/
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 380
    « Reply #1825 on: January 10, 2018, 21:56 »
    Flipping heck it's nice to see that jersey again!!
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #1826 on: January 18, 2018, 11:47 »
    Lappartient didn't write to Armstrong to persuade him not to come to the Ronde this year, the UCI clarified today, but rather to Tour of Flanders Business Academy organiser Wouter Vandenhaute.

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/1.3128175 (NL)

Armstrong is, of course, banned from association with the sport. But I suppose a Business Academy carrying the Ronde's name doesn't count.
  • ReplyReply

• Francois the Postman

• National Champion
    • Liked: 922
    « Reply #1827 on: January 18, 2018, 12:22 »
    I am still hoping it is a bad April Fool's joke, but then I remind myself that everything about Lance was one colossal April Fool's shtstorm, and that certainly happened.

He's back guys. It's why he confessed. To remain part of it. Always picking the option best for him. Others (and our sport) be damned.

It's like this thing, just when you thought they nailed the fliper and the world could move on, your broadcast gets another unexpected interruption from the person you expected least and whose mind is too sick to let go. But with Lance.

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #1828 on: January 21, 2018, 22:50 »
    Armstrong is, of course, banned from association with the sport. But I suppose a Business Academy carrying the Ronde's name doesn't count.
    As long as it isn't anything the UCI licenses and isn't (directly) run by anyone the UCI licenses, it technically really doesn't.
    Of course everybody knows that it's window-dressing, there's just no legal remedy.

Damn that rule of law, stopping us from hoisting Lance on a tar-covered pitchfork and setting fire to it!
    ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 23:15 by LukasCPH »

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #1829 on: January 26, 2018, 15:41 »
    Quite an interesing read about Ilya Ilyin, and why he got a 2 year ban instead of 8

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1060656/brian-oliver-when-doping-pays-only-one-winner-in-complex-case-of-ilya-ilyin-the-lance-armstrong-of-weightlifting

there's more to come though, no worries ;)
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.