collapse

t-72

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 3111
Re: Darkside - General news
« Reply #1950 on: September 06, 2018, 22:04 »
Finally, and this seems to have been overlooked, he claims that the NAS has paid him a visit. I very much doubt national law enforcement agencies would spend time searching the homes of individuals just because they tested positive.

Stupid question of the day, what exactly is the NAS?

I think of the network attached storage, in that case it must be the shady guys storing all the dope?
National Agency of Steroids?
Nutrition-Agentur des Sportes?
or some  Bielo-Russian organization I would not dare to speak the full name of?

(Excuse my ignorance!)
  • ReplyReply

• ciranda

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 226
    « Reply #1951 on: September 10, 2018, 18:17 »
    It's the special caribinieri division that deals with antidoping investigation among other things. In 2001 Nas raided and searched hotels in Sanremo during Giro d'Italia with other caribinieri branches, probably their most known operation.

And Nas is a rebel to America. Nas once kidnapped the president's wife without a plan. Nas has been hanging more n****s than the Ku Klux Klan. At a young age Nas was a fan of the Jackson Five. But now all Nas does is relax and strive.

:high
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 18:55 by ciranda »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7278
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1952 on: September 13, 2018, 21:42 »
    Another case that the UCI very, very quietly 'announced':
    http://www.uci.org/inside-uci/press-releases/uci-statement-on-uci-continental-team-sindicato-de-empleados-publicos-de-san-juan

#sepsj had two riders test positive in last year's Tour de San Juan (Najar, CERA; Javier, AAS) and will therefore suffer a team-wide suspension ...
    ... from 15 January to 1 March 2019.

That means they'll miss next year's Tour de San Juan.

But it also makes me wonder how a Conti team can be suspended for a period in the following calendar year? Under the letter of the law, the teams only exist for one year at a time.

I am not criticising the decision as such, I think it's exactly the right thing to do (unlike the joke suspension #astana got the one year). But I am asking some questions about the rules.

And I strongly doubt that they will even go to the trouble of filing for UCI registration, now that they're banned from their main race.
    After all, the *ar federation won't re-schedule the race to a time when the team (or its star riders) are free to race again.

If you now wonder "has that ever happened?" - the 2017 Tour of Iran (Azarbaijan) was moved from May to October with rather little notice. I don't remember exactly which *ir rider was barred from competing in May, but he was back at the race in October.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1535
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #1953 on: November 06, 2018, 13:22 »
    . . .
    or some  Bielo-Russian organization I would not dare to speak the full name of?
     . . .

No. We don't need to blame the Byelorussians. We need to full-on blame Moscow and the Muscovite Russki organizations. Public HQ on the banks of the Moskva. The Byelorussian government are incompetent bumblers. They fit Hillary's "basket of deplorables" to a T. The only thing their government is good for is political corruption, fixing elections, and serving as a foil for Moscow.

On 2nd thought? Fixing elections. Maybe THAT'S what's going on here:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hellelands-candidacy-for-wada-president-could-be-blocked

Disgusting, absolutely disgusting, and so transparent I don't need Riding Too Slowly to interpret this for me. Maybe the Byelorusski ARE behind it. Somebody is.

• ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 12541
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1954 on: November 15, 2018, 12:06 »
    Four months later (and one year after the positive sample), things are still unresolved. LADS is currently reviewing the case and Cardoso has time until mid Juli to bring up arguments in his defense. The UCI Anti-Doping Tribunal may then come to a conclusion

https://www.abola.pt/Nnh/Noticias/Ver/736356

Thanks for this. Nice to have an update. :) A Bola is probably right to spin it as "still no outcome" but, to me at least, it does look like things are moving that way at last.

The thing I don't get, indeed have never got, is this: if the B-sample was genuinely "inconclusive" why was CADF so adamant about not letting him go? As usual, we don't really know.

they have come to a decision: 4 years ban for #trek Andre Cardoso

http://www.uci.org/inside-uci/press-releases/uci-statement-on-andr%C3%A9-cardoso
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6746
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #1955 on: November 16, 2018, 12:06 »
    they have come to a decision: 4 years ban for #trek Andre Cardoso

http://www.uci.org/inside-uci/press-releases/uci-statement-on-andr%C3%A9-cardoso

Recently I learned a couple of things about the case:

First was a bit more about the B-sample. EPO degrades quite quickly and the issue was that the B-sample, tested later of course, must have showed up pretty low values. This is an accepted situation based on well-documented science but there was some concern over how low that value was.

Second is kind of related. Contrary to a lot of what has been reported - and it wasn't that much compared with a case like Froome's - Cardoso did hire a lawyer and submitted a fairly novel supposition that the results might be explained by a congenital glycosylation disorder in which EPO was naturally broken down at a less rapid rate. That may go some way to explaining the long processing time for this case.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1956 on: December 19, 2018, 19:24 »
    Positive test for #lotto Tosh van der Sande, taken at the Gent Sixdays:
    https://lottosoudal.be/en/news/positive-doping-test-tosh-van-der-sande

The substance ​​​​​​​is a permitted one and occurs in the nasal spray Sofrasolone, that is freely available and allowed to be used in competition if mentioned during a control. 

After a meeting with the rider, the Board has decided to suspend him, in expectation of the investigation executed by the UCI and to allow the rider to underpin his defense in the best possible way.

Lotto Soudal will give no further explanations until the UCI procedure has terminated.

It sounds a bit weird that the substance would be allowed in-competition if mentioned on the control form ... we'll need some experts to clarify that.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1601
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #1957 on: December 19, 2018, 19:30 »
    Prednisolone isn’t it?

Not allowed in tablets or injection. Allowed if mentioned as a nasal spray. No TUE needed.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2955
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1959 on: December 20, 2018, 21:32 »
    DUTCH BACKSTROKING ACE KIRA TOUSSAINT TESTS POSITIVE FOR TULOBUTEROL

"Today, I like to share my story with you, because I am innocent and I am convinced that the truth will prevail," says Kira Toussaint, world-class backstroker of Netherlands who tested positive for a banned substance on the eve of this year's Short Course World Championships.

“On the 7th of December 2018, just before the start of the World Swimming Championships in Hangzhou (China) I was notified by FINA that I tested positive for the substance: Tulobuterol.

“I am an asthma patient and to treat my asthmatic condition I use another medication. The medication I use is allowed and has the same effect as Tulobuterol. Reportedly Tulobuterol is not available in Europe. It is predominantly available in seven countries in Asia, including China.

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #1960 on: December 20, 2018, 23:13 »
    "Tulobuterol is a substance that has a prolonged bronchodilator effect. The medicine can be administered using an inhaler or using a patch applied to the skin, or like clenbuterol, for example via contaminated food."

to cure the bronchial disorder of the chickens, or what?! I smell bullsh*t
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1961 on: December 30, 2018, 15:37 »
    Here's an interesting podcast with Jeff Novitsky. It mostly revolves around the recent controversy with UFC fighter Jon Jones (the details of which are explained within) but it touches on some interesting developments for testing in general. For those who haven't kept up, Novitsky, who used to work for the IRS and the FDA, and who was the original federal agent in pursuit of Armstrong, now works for the UFC to oversee their anti-doping program. His job serves two roles, primarily: To make sure that athletes are compliant and competing clean, and to make sure that athletes are also treated fairly in the process. It makes for a slippery slope at times, and would seem to present a conflict of interests, but it does open up some interesting discussions.

Of interest in particular in this podcast is the increased understanding of how certain substances can linger in the body for periods longer than a year after use, and will, apparently, "pulse"—that is to say, they will appear in some tests, disappear in subsequent tests, and then reappear again. Is this sound science? Who knows. Unfortunately, much of what is discussed relies solely upon the experiments that Dr. Grigory Rodchenkov, the man behind the Icarus documentary, performed upon himself.  So hardly an extensive test group, to say the very least. But that's all they have to go on.

There is also the issue of testing procedures evolving to the point where they may be unrealistic. That is to say they can now measure certain substances down a single picogram, but that might not necessarily indicate doping. Such minuscule levels (a trillionth of a gram, if I have that right?) could be present through all sorts of inadvertent exposure.

I'd be curious to hear Merckx Index weigh-in on this (no pun intended).  :P

• ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 789
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    « Reply #1962 on: December 31, 2018, 20:27 »
    "“I am an asthma patient and to treat my asthmatic condition I use another medication. The medication I use is allowed and has the same effect as Tulobuterol. Reportedly Tulobuterol is not available in Europe. It is predominantly available in seven countries in Asia, including China."

She know too much on Tulobutarolism...

Guilty.

Just look at her shoulders.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1963 on: January 01, 2019, 14:50 »
    As a follow-up to my previous post...

https://twitter.com/dimspace/status/1078407865130536965
  • ReplyReply

• neppe

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 78
    « Reply #1964 on: January 04, 2019, 18:56 »
    A Danish «very big talent» tested positive for methylhexanamin at a stage race outside Denmark during the spring and has been suspended from the national team for some time. Didn’t ride during the autumn. CADF jurisdiction.
    https://www.dr.dk/sporten/cykling/ung-dansk-cykelrytter-taget-i-dopingtest-i-2018
    https://www.dr.dk/sporten/cykling/efterforskning-traekker-dopingsager-i-langdrag

The anti-doping tribunal of the Swedish Sports Confederation found the runner Meraf Bahta not guilty of any wrongdoing in the case of her 3 wherabouts failures in 1 year.
    https://www.svt.se/sport/friidrott/meraf-bahta-friad-av-dopingnamnden
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2730
    • Awards: 2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #1965 on: January 05, 2019, 19:09 »
    A Danish «very big talent» tested positive for methylhexanamin at a stage race outside Denmark during the spring and has been suspended from the national team for some time. Didn’t ride during the autumn. CADF jurisdiction.
    https://www.dr.dk/sporten/cykling/ung-dansk-cykelrytter-taget-i-dopingtest-i-2018
    https://www.dr.dk/sporten/cykling/efterforskning-traekker-dopingsager-i-langdrag

Well I can find about 14 young Danes on PCS who rode in a non-Danish stage race in the Spring, weren't in a representative team, and had their last race end of the summer or earlier, but none of them are those I am aware of as major prospects.  Hmmm...
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #1966 on: January 05, 2019, 19:15 »
    Well I can find about 14 young Danes on PCS who rode in a non-Danish stage race in the Spring, weren't in a representative team, and had their last race end of the summer or earlier, but none of them are those I am aware of as major prospects.  Hmmm...

It's a junior.

https://www.feltet.dk/nyheder/dansk_juniorrytter_testet_positiv/
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2730
    • Awards: 2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #1967 on: January 05, 2019, 19:26 »

I didn't bother looking at the links, because I assumed we had the gist of it from Neppe's summary, and the expectation of understanding nothing.

But Danish can be great for cognates: I'm confident I know exactly what the headline that Joelsim translates as.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #1968 on: January 05, 2019, 19:27 »

I didn't bother looking at the links, because I assumed we had the gist of it from Neppe's summary, and the expectation of understanding nothing.

But Danish can be great for cognates: I'm confident I know exactly what the headline that Joelsim translates as.

Under 18 so name won't be released as yet.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1584
    « Reply #1969 on: January 07, 2019, 19:20 »
    https://www.20minutes.fr/sport/2409103-20190106-etats-unis-convaincu-dopage-cycliste-90-ans-perd-titre-champion-national-record

Carl Grove, doper at age 90, tested positive for trenbolone, an anabolic steroid. According to USADA, this banned substance can be explained by consuming meat from a farm which uses growth hormone. USADA did not suspend his rider but gave him a warning. However he was stripped of his national title in the 90-94 category and of his World record which he settled during those nats in Breinigsville, Pennsylvania. Funny thing is that Grove was the only competitor in that category.  :D
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1970 on: January 08, 2019, 01:02 »
    Funny thing is that Grove was the only competitor in that category.  :D

I was wondering about that last part. I wonder what that raced looked like. A new "world record"? Was there even a previous world record?
     :S
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #1971 on: January 08, 2019, 10:11 »
    The 90s were always the biggest for doping.   ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1972 on: January 10, 2019, 14:11 »
    Some jokes just write themselves.

Vatican launches track team of Swiss Guards, nuns

VATICAN CITY (AP) — The Vatican launched an official track team Thursday with the aim of competing in international competitions as part of an agreement signed with the Italian Olympic Committee.

About 60 Holy See runners — Swiss Guards, priests, nuns, pharmacists and even a 62-year-old professor who works in the Vatican’s Apostolic Library — are the first accredited members of Vatican Athletics. It’s the latest iteration of the Holy See’s long-standing promotion of sport as an instrument of dialogue, peace and solidarity.

Because of the agreement with CONI, the team is now a part of the Italian track association and is looking to join the International Association of Athletics Federations. It is hoping to compete in international competitions, including the Games of the Small States of Europe — open to states with fewer than 1 million people — and the Mediterranean Games.

Vatican pharmacist-runner Michela Ciprietti  :-x told a Vatican press conference the aim of the team isn’t exclusively competitive, but rather to “promote culture and running and launch the message of solidarity and the fight against racism and violence of all types.”

So...what happens if one of them gets popped? Divine intervention?

"Games of the Small States of Europe" :slow

Learn something new everyday.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #1973 on: January 10, 2019, 16:00 »
    "Games of the Small States of Europe" :slow

Learn something new everyday.
    Yup, that exists. Started in 1985, held every two years.

The palmarès of the cycling competitions (not held at every edition, apparently) include such names as David Millar (representing *mt), Laurent Didier, Bob Jungels, Stefan Küng (representing *li), and Fränk Schleck.
    ITT on CQr
    RR on CQr
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #1974 on: January 12, 2019, 15:52 »
    A good read here:

The 90-Year-Old Doper Is Not A Doper At All: The Carl Grove Case

On Friday, Jan. 4, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency issued a press release that a 90-year-old, world record setting cyclist had failed a drug test.

The press release stated that Carl Grove of Bristol, Indiana, had tested positive for the anabolic agent epitrenbolone at the Masters Track National Championships in July of 2018.

In investigating Grove’s case, USADA determined the positive test was “more likely than not” due to the consumption of contaminated meat. Grove was given a rare public warning, and stripped of the world record he set at Track Nationals.

In 2009, Carl Grove showed up at a training camp organized by cycling coach Tim Cusick in the rolling hills of southern Pennsylvania. Grove, who was then 81 years old, had done some competitive cycling in his 20s, but told Cusick, “I was never that good.”

After a 55-year break from the bike, he’d decided to start riding again.

“We were like, holy crap, we’ve got an 80-year-old guy coming to camp, how are we going to deal with this?” Cusick recalls. “We had all these contingency plans. We had assigned one coach to just follow Carl around and make sure he was safe and he didn’t die.”

Of course, Cusick says, “The guy shows up to camp and he’s fast as crap.” Grove had no problem keeping up with the camp’s other competitive riders.

I guess you never really lose the engine.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears
    « Reply #1975 on: January 12, 2019, 19:21 »
    I'm guessing in a few decades there'll be the same story about Valverde. At 96 years old he climbed the Mur quicker than all the others..
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Classics Winner
      • Music To Your Ears

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #1977 on: January 14, 2019, 15:03 »
    must have been on the "targeted" list since the 2010 Dauphiné at least. So it took them almost 9 year to catch him... better late than never, they say
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.