collapse

search

• World Champion
  • Liked: 12587
  • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Re: Darkside - General news
« Reply #2040 on: June 14, 2019, 14:54 »
It's funny that there's no designated Cobo thread, but searching on his name has yielded some amusing remarks about him over the years.
 :D

he isn't (or wasn't) even listed on Dopeology... Larri must be completely shocked as well :D
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3000
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #2041 on: June 14, 2019, 19:21 »
    Same climb, 2 years later........................

I know not of who you speak.

:P :D :lol :lol :lol :D :P

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #2042 on: June 15, 2019, 06:16 »
    he isn't (or wasn't) even listed on Dopeology... Larri must be completely shocked as well :D

I'm desperately trying to track down what I'm certain was on old post of mine.

Neil Browne used to host a live video chat, on Sunday evenings, under the title of Tour Chats (although I suspect that they are no longer archived.) One evening (although I was included on multiple broadcasts) he, and a cycling journo co-host of his (who's identity currently escapes me), took a question of mine. I made a remark about Cobo's obvious ridiculousness, and Neil's sidekick seemed utterly perplexed by my insinuations—and it really peeed me off at the time!

I would love to track that down and throw it in the face of whoever that hack was.  :D

I mean, FFS, there has never been a more obvious, and more conspicuous, case of doping than Cobo's performance. Although if someone cares to argue for the person who he beat as being more so, well, you won't get any argument from me on that. None other than the highly-respected Libertine Seguros posted a defense of Cobo at one time (if memory serves), but c'mon. Those back-and-forth accelerations with Froome were nearly identical to what we saw between Contador and Rasmussen, as well as between Menchov and DiLuca. So give me a break with any sort of rationalization of it all. It was pure comedy, through and through.

In light of all that, I envision four possible follow-ups that would create a virtual tsunami of negative press, should they come to light.

1) Froome gets popped as well (from that same race).
    2) Wiggins too.
    3) Lance 2.0 gets exposed.
    4) Chris Horner's Vuelta ends up in the dustbin.

To be honest, it would't surprise me, in the least, if all the above came to fruition. Honestly though, I couldn't care less. I don't trust any performance I see, from any athlete, across any sport. I decide, on my own, which ones I will still enjoy though—and there are plenty. It's still entertaining. I just don't put any value on it beyond that.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 06:50 by Drummer Boy »

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #2043 on: June 15, 2019, 06:29 »
    Re: Cobo

"I'm sure the UCI will explain to us all what's gone on," [Brailsford] said.

Uh huh. Of course they will.  :-x

Or, perhaps Sir Dave could just STFU.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY ZERO REASON TO BELIEVE THAT THE UCI WILL EXPLAIN ANYTHING TO ANYBODY.

When will Brailsford get around to explaining Froome's performance in that same race?

That entire podium is beyond laughable at this point.

I don't really give a flip, to be perfectly honest. But don't take me for a fool.

https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/1139635342099853313
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 06:54 by Drummer Boy »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7290
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2044 on: June 15, 2019, 10:25 »
    he isn't (or wasn't) even listed on Dopeology... Larri must be completely shocked as well
    I don't know where I heard/read it first, but allegedly, during the 2008 Tour (when Cobo was on Saunier Duval) a staff member had to wake him up during the nights to exercise in order to keep the blood flowing and stop it from clogging the arteries.
    And that when the team was thrown out after Riccò's and Piepoli's positives, it was really for the best for Cobo's long-term (and short-term!) health.
    Sure, this is the old "so many blood bags that the blood isn't really liquid anymore" trope, so it may just be a legend.

By the 2011 Vuelta, it was an open secret, and had been for years, that Cobo was up to no good. Of course he was. He just had never tested positive.
    The surprise isn't that he was caught, but that it took so long - which doesn't put in-race doping tests in a great light.

And looking at that Peña Cabarga finish ... who can honestly say they believe Froome was on pan y agua there?
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #2045 on: June 15, 2019, 12:26 »
    And looking at that Peña Cabarga finish ... who can honestly say they believe Froome was on pan y agua there?

I have to say, (not that my personal opinion would possibly matter to the multi-Tour winner) that if Froome came clean, and explained exactly how he pulled off what he did, and how he made such great strides so suddenly, and how he avoided detection—I'd probably give him a pass on everything.

It was pure genius from a Dark Side perspective. I even think he's earned a unique jersey for it all his own. It's only coincidence that his current INEOS one  #ineos is perhaps the perfect color scheme, but he really does deserve some sort of special award.

It's kind of funny how an avalanche of corroborating evidence eventually brought down Armstrong, and made his own confession inevitable and unavoidable.  Funny, because that same avalanche of evidence, that continues to this day with others (even if it's at a glacial pace), will probably one day restore Lance's name to the record books.

Armstrong's own denials that went on for years will likely pale in comparison to the absurdity of him being singled-out. Yes, he did quite a bit more than simply use PEDs, but as the revelation of other's dirty deeds continue to be exposed, erasing one name from the books, and not others, will be the most farcical thing of all.

Which of course means that Floyd's name should be restored to honor as well.  :D

(No, seriously.)
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #2046 on: June 15, 2019, 12:47 »
    It just gets curiouser and curiouser...

Dear UCI,
    Dear Mr. Lappartient,
    Dear Mr. Cookson

I understand that the case of anomalies in the bio pass of Cobo was opened in 2014... and that there have been several proposals from UCI to Cobo about a ban + fine, 1 in 2015, which he refused and a 2nd one in 2017, which he also refused. I understand that in the 2nd case there was a proposal for a reduced money fine. Now finally in mid 2019, 5 years after the decision to sanction the rider and 8 years after his Vuelta win, you announce your final decision, after having tried to negotiate with the rider.

I think everybody is entitled to a full and frank explanation from the UCI of what happened during this lengthy process, why did you negotiate the amount of the fine, and especially also why it has taken so long, particularly since there hasn’t been any retro-active testing of old samples with new detection methods. So I think it’s fair to ask: what changed between 2014 (opening of the case) and June 2019?

If it’s a clear cut case, and there is no doubt that the cyclist has doped, how can you explain a delay of 5 years before announcing your decision?

- Johan Bruyneel

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.