collapse

AG

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 3287
  • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/fahey-hits-afl-over-3-strikes-20130307-2fogo.html

''I've never supported it,'' Fahey said on Thursday, referring specifically to the three-strikes component of the AFL's illicit drugs policy.

''I'm not saying that they shouldn't adopt a code on [illicit] drugs, but I'm saying that if that continues to include the three-strike provision, then I believe that is a soft approach which is not in the best interests of the sport, particularly in the message it gives to the young people who follow that particular sport.

''By all means they should put in place anything that they believe is in the best interests of governing the administration of their sport and giving it integrity, but I've always felt that was a soft approach that had no place in sport - that is a three strikes policy - that's my personal view.

''I don't believe it's in the best interests of any sport to have a soft approach which is what I believe the AFL has on illicit drugs.''

seriously?

The AFL is one of the only codes -certainly in Australia, and as far as I know in international sport - that HAS a code on the use of illicit / recreational drugs out of competition.

In competition they are banned under the WADA code.

Out of competition, they have a '3 strikes' policy.  First strike, only the player is notified.  2nd strike the player and his clubs medical staff are notified.  3rd strike the player gets a ban (I think 12 months)

Once again - this is for use of non-performance enhancing drugs OUTSIDE of competition

that to me is not soft on drugs.  Its not great - but its a step in the right direction - and its a step further than most sports are taking.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10425
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    hmm - things really are hotting up.

Sport is an interesting world in Aus right now   :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

AG

• Monument Winner
    so lets get this straight

Teh Sharks appointed a former ASADA counsel to represent the players, who originally advised them to keep quiet.  He then looked at all the evidence, and negotiated a 6 month ban with ASADA and advised the players to take it ....

they did not take the deal and now ASADA are interviewing them individually, and it looks like some of them may after all confess

not really looking that good for them here    :rolleye

''What the players need to ask themselves is whether they were told what the substances were, did they know it was illegal, are there phone taps of them discussing it, are there credit-card receipts of them buying it, are there any witnesses who have given evidence that they knew what they were doing was illegal,'' a source close to the investigation told Fairfax.

and - using horse drugs now

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/equine-intervention-sharks-leave-the-stable-door-open-20130314-2g3mb.html
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Dons did not check Dank

haha what flipping Bullsh*t

they hired a guy they new nothing about to run their programs

haha and Wilson bought it - problems with sports Journos is that they are not Journos

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    its very hard to follow that story

but essentially - Essendon brought back Bomber Thompson - a former player and club legend, who happened to be a premiership coach.

thompson brought in Dean Robinson - who he had worked with at Geelong ... why would they need other reference checks?  I mean it would help, but seriously the secrecy these guys work with, reference checks arent exactly the same as for many other places of employment.

Robinson brought in Dank - who he had worked with before.

essentially its a boys club - which we knew already.   This isnt exactly a story.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    Hird = idiot fatty masters doper.
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    Btw if ASADA are worth anything, Essendon are fliped:

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/news/730/video/201304/730s_HirdDank_1104_512k.mp4

Messages between Dank and Hird... Dank saying in March players going to use Thymosin = TB-500.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    the age have a stupid 10 free articles a month and I have used mine - I missed this

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    here is the Age article

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/texts-are-latest-twist-in-essendon-drugs-crisis-20130411-2hoou.html

the text messages as follows :

In the texts, Dank refers to intravenous, or "IV", treatments - which could be banned under World Anti-Doping Agency and AFL rules.

On March 9, they reportedly had the following exchange:

Hird: "Good work today mate, the boys were up and about, we have a lot to work with.

Dank: "IVs start next week and Thymosin with Uniquinon. We will start to see some real effects.

Then between March 27-28:

Dank: "That is the IV list that will be completed by Wednesday night.

Hird: "Good work mate, (name deleted) rang me tonight and said how good he felt after he saw you."

On April 3, Dank detailed more substances:

"We have cerebrolysin, we will re-oxygenate and re-circulate the brain. We will also be getting Solcoseryl."

Also in April:

Dank: "All IV and injections completed.

Hird: "Great work mate, it would be a great effort to have them feeling fresh for Anzac Day."

On May 11, Dank talks about an unspecified project.

"financials ready for you and David for AOD project. These financials cover all possible revenue streams, where the project applies."

Former ASADA chairman Richard Ings said the Bombers could be in trouble if the players were given intravenous treatments.

"(They) are somewhat troubling, particularly the discussion about intravenous use of substances," he said.

"We need to understand there are banned substances, but there are also banned methods.

"The use of intravenous injections could be potentially be such a banned method."

Dank has said Essendon players were given a pig's brain extract, the first milk from a mother cow, a bark extract and an anti-obesity drug as part of a supplement regime Hird knew about.

But Dank told Fairfax Media nothing he gave to the players was prohibited, and stressed the supplements were safe.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    And David would be Evans

This is getting fun now.

And we know if the bombers were on this program, the cats, hawks etc full, blown ?
  • ReplyReply

• Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 215
    here is the Age article

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/texts-are-latest-twist-in-essendon-drugs-crisis-20130411-2hoou.html

the text messages as follows :

Given what we now know about the anti-obesity drug GW1516, would be interesting to know what they were giving these guys.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    this is quite a good article on the taking of supplements and the pushing of sports science.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/game-changer-20130412-2hr82.html
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    Another one lined up for slaughter.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-13/second-coach-implicated-in-essendon-crisis/4626450?section=sport

In a text message sent by Goodwin to Dank at the end of June 2012, Goodwin wrote to Dank "Don't forget the good gear today buddy."

Then on July 5, 2012, Goodwin again wrote to Dank, "Don't forget the good gear mate."

Six days later, Goodwin wrote to Dank, "Bring some of the good stuff in buddy."

The next day, on July 12, 2012, Goodwin wrote to Dank "Sorry mate forgot to see you yesterday. Am heading to Adelaide today can you please bring some of the good stuff in buddy."

Dank has told 7.30 that the "the good stuff" is a reference to Hexarelin.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

AG

• Monument Winner
    I cant seem to get anything from that link - so just providing another one

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/demons-linked-to-dank-says-report-20130418-2i351.html
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Arb

• Road Captain
    Charter was speaking to ASADA today.

One thing I don't understand about all this... why are clubs using these wacko substances? I mean what happened to good old EPO and Testosterone. My thoughts are that there are probably a few clubs happy to stay in the background hoping this saga stays limited to the peptides ring.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    spreading to all aspects of australian sport

exhibit 1, the 9 year old (number 23) my son (on left) was playing against last week. Peptides if you ask me....

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Dank has threatened to sue ASADA and I guess therefore WADA
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/watson-cant-escape-doping-violation-exasada-boss-20130625-2ouew.html

But can play this weekend.

Jesus what a load of sh*t even the uci does better than that
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    the whole thing is one HUGE mess.

And dont think its just Jobe Watson that has admitted to taking it.  If all players who took it were banned, Essendon might struggle to field a team    :fp

Going to be interesting.

Finger in the air guess as to what will happen
    - All players who took it will get a 6 month ban - October - March
    - Watson stripped of Brownlow
    - club will be sanctionedby the AFL
    - players will sue the club for giving it to them
    - Club will challenge the validity of whether or not this drug is banned - and from when
    - it will all end up in the CAS
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    bit of background on the drug itself and what the club are claiming

- AOD-9604 - is a weightloss/anti obesity peptide.

- The players knew they were taking it.  It was listed on the consent form they signed, so they can have no defense that they did not know what they were taking, or that it was taken by accident.

- The club believed that it was not prohibited

- Its not actually listed under the banned drugs, but is prohibited under the section that says "all substances that are not approved for human consumption are banned"

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-drug-defence-hangs-on-whether-aod9604-is-an-illegal-substance/story-fndv8gad-1226669509975
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    the whole thing is one HUGE mess.

And dont think its just Jobe Watson that has admitted to taking it.  If all players who took it were banned, Essendon might struggle to field a team    :fp

Going to be interesting.

Finger in the air guess as to what will happen
    - All players who took it will get a 6 month ban - October - March
    - Watson stripped of Brownlow
    - club will be sanctionedby the AFL
    - players will sue the club for giving it to them
    - Club will challenge the validity of whether or not this drug is banned - and from when
    - it will all end up in the CAS

sounds about right

except you need to add the AFL will say

* we do not have a performance enhancing drug problem in the AFL  ( with a straight face )
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.