collapse

42x16ss

• Domestique
  • Liked: 380
  • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
Re: Nutrition
« on: June 11, 2015, 12:15 »
There's been some good points raised here re: nutrition. The best foods are what works for you! For example I can't eat most gels as they are too full of fructose and give me stomach cramps and peanut butter makes me bloat.

There are a few things to remember when you're training for longer events or doing big miles. A general rule of thumb is to eat around 1gram of carbohydrate for every 2kg of body weight per hour. For me, at 70kgs that means I usually need 35g+ of carbs an hour if I'm training for long periods or sometimes more if it's a long race. I usually get it through a combination of muesli bars, jelly beans and sports drink.

Also, remember, your gut is trainable. If you're planning on doing a big event you obviously need to eat to sustain effort. The best way to prepare for this is to train eating the food you will plan on using on the day. The more often you eat while training the better you get at taking up carbs while you're training.

Another thing to consider is sodium uptake, especially when racing and hard efforts in the heat. Most sports drinks like Gatorade, Endura etc do have some but not as much as is ideal (they only have enough sodium to remain palatable) so if you sweat profusely or cramp often then this is something that you should be mindful of.

If you've got any questions or you're having frequent bad days I recommend seeing a good sports nutritionist, especially if you're planning on doing any big events. With a couple of consultations and some info they can take a lot of the guess work out of nutrition.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Milano - Sanremo by t-72
    [Today at 12:08]

Re: Milano - Sanremo by search
    [Today at 11:55]

Re: Milano - Sanremo by t-72
    [Today at 11:32]

Re: Milano - Sanremo by search
    [Today at 11:12]

Re: 2020 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by t-72