collapse

Poll

Do you believe that man's emission of Greenhouse gases such as CO2 and CH4 are (and will) signifcantly affecting the Climate?

Yes
28 (75.7%)
No
7 (18.9%)
Unsure
1 (2.7%)
D
1 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
  • Road Captain
  • Liked: 889
Hey warmers here is solution for all our problems ;D
http://signup.farts.com/
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 2620
    • Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012

New Study Thoroughly Debunks Global Warming, Will Media Notice?
    In the past several weeks as much of the nation suffered under a massive heatwave, global warming-obsessed media depicted the high temperatures as evidence of Nobel laureate Al Gore's favorite money-making scam.

A new study published in the journal Nature Sunday completely debunks all previous claims that temperatures in recent decades are in any way historic demonstrating instead that things were much hotter on this planet during Roman times:

Here, we present new evidence based on maximum latewood density data from northern Scandinavia.............

• ReplyReply
  • I wish I was in Tijuana
    eating barbequed iguana

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    What warmers, you are saying that it is not true? ;D
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    Sorry but I cant resist ;D

;D
    , lol
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    Commie are real Greens, not you Capitalists bastards! ;D

It is true ;D, Suunto suck 8)

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 22:56 by Anthony Moan »

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain

Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    • Liked: 102
    I'm not really all that fussed about global warming. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. And if it isn't, well then, great.

The big ecological issue the planet faces today imo is overpopulation. 7 billion is far too many. It's going to keep increasing exponentially and we'll end up with chronic food, water and resource shortages in a century or so. It's completely unsustainable for humanity to procreate like cockroaches. I think we've already exceeded the sustainable limit at 7 billion. Birth rates have to decrease, and soon. The average world rate should ideally be around 2 or in the high 1.90's, so the population slowly decreases while minimising the economic and social impacts that something drastic (like China's One Child Policy or the long term trend of depopulation in Japan) causes.
  • ReplyReply
  • The best album ever: itunes.apple.com/us/album/riddim-driven-sleng-teng-extravaganza/id76251384

oitallefotua

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 21
    I'm not really all that fussed about global warming. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. And if it isn't, well then, great.

The big ecological issue the planet faces today imo is overpopulation. 7 billion is far too many. It's going to keep increasing exponentially and we'll end up with chronic food, water and resource shortages in a century or so. It's completely unsustainable for humanity to procreate like cockroaches. I think we've already exceeded the sustainable limit at 7 billion. Birth rates have to decrease, and soon. The average world rate should ideally be around 2 or in the high 1.90's, so the population slowly decreases while minimising the economic and social impacts that something drastic (like China's One Child Policy or the long term trend of depopulation in Japan) causes.

The big problem is that WW2 now is almost 60 years ago. It only took ~20 years from the end of WW1 until we got number 2. We'd be far less people on the planet, if there had been a WW3 & WW4.
  • ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    • Liked: 102
    World War 2 claimed what, 100 million, roughly? That would have been a pretty fair hit of the global population, around 5% or so. A similar casualty count today would be a drop in the water, and we're never going to get involved in another conflict that claims so many lives. War death rates have declined pretty steadily since then to the point where the ~4000 Americans that have died in service in Iraq over a decade is a huge deal, whereas in the Second World War that would have been a weekly occurrence.
  • ReplyReply

• oitallefotua

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 21
    World War 2 claimed what, 100 million, roughly? That would have been a pretty fair hit of the global population, around 5% or so. A similar casualty count today would be a drop in the water, and we're never going to get involved in another conflict that claims so many lives. War death rates have declined pretty steadily since then to the point where the ~4000 Americans that have died in service in Iraq over a decade is a huge deal, whereas in the Second World War that would have been a weekly occurrence.

There's more to it than just those who died in battle ;-)
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    I think we are highly likely to see some pretty desperate wars in the near future as the factors of declining energy resources, expanding populations, and pressure on food and water supplies start to elide with the shifting balance of power within the world. Its no wonder Iran are trying to get nuked up. They've got China on one side and the US on the other sniffing around their old reserves.

As for global warming, its a fact. Melting ice-caps and rising sea levels are a pretty easy to understand symptom. Whether it is as a result of human activity is the dispute.
  • ReplyReply
  • "You can't handle the truth"

Colonel Nathan R Jessup

blutto

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 51

.....wouldn't be sweating the overpopulation issue if I were you....climate change over the next century or so will cause enough chaos with drought and the associated crop failures to trim the population down substantially ( some predictions put the population reductions at around 6 billion ).....and then the problems with climate change will become, according to some models, real fierce....

Cheers
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain

....only 4000 you say....you seemed to have forgotten about the 1.5 mil Iraqi's that were killed...and not to mention the 4 mil that fled the country....and the fact that the country is glowing in the dark because of all the DU weaponry used in the conflict ( and this gift will keep giving long after humanity has left this mortal coil )....

....and btw that drop in the bucket to which you refer....modern technology has fixed that....so the next major conflagration has the potential to pretty well destroy mankind in about 20 min....so we can look forward to, not a drop in the bucket, but a flood that could drown us all....gosh don't ya just love progress....

Cheers
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 01:40 by blutto »

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    .....wouldn't be sweating the overpopulation issue if I were you....climate change over the next century or so will cause enough chaos with drought and the associated crop failures to trim the population down substantially ( some predictions put the population reductions at around 6 billion ).....and then the problems with climate change will become, according to some models, real fierce....

Cheers
    Oh stop moaning :D
    Hoo-ray For Carbon Taxes !
  • ReplyReply

• Pentacycle

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 0
    • Proud supporter of Purito
    As for global warming, its a fact. Melting ice-caps and rising sea levels are a pretty easy to understand symptom. Whether it is as a result of human activity is the dispute.

Please don't refer to it as global warming, use climate change instead. The first term hurts me as an environmental science student.

Some areas become more arid, while others receive more rain. Same goes for sea level:

Whether it's all definitely caused by human actions is still up for discussion, but I think it is. But human action can also solve many problems, as I hope will happen in the future.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Well, one thing's for sure, you won't catch me bemoaning the lack of world wars. Ridiculous.  :brzzzz

Overpopulation and overconsumption.

In this part of the world, we need to learn to live with less. Every time I see someone wearing fancy sneakers or carrying around multiple silly mobile devices, I think about the raw materials in them and the enormous profit margins put on them.

If greed is what drives the human-induced part of climate change and, who knows, maybe even human evolution itself, then I'm happy to fall by the wayside.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    Please don't refer to it as global warming, use climate change instead. The first term hurts me as an environmental science student. .

Global warming is what 'climate change' was called way before you were born, son.

;)

Students... <rollseyes>
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    Please don't refer to it as global warming, use climate change instead. The first term hurts me as an environmental science student.

Some areas become more arid, while others receive more rain. Same goes for sea level:

Whether it's all definitely caused by human actions is still up for discussion, but I think it is. But human action can also solve many problems, as I hope will happen in the future.

....it is probably prudent to add some serious praying to that hope because we are very rapidly running out of time to implement solutions....

Cheers
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    Oh stop moaning :D
    Hoo-ray For Carbon Taxes !

....as opposed to say the massive direct subsidies paid to, and other government assistance given to the fossil fuel industry?.....

Cheers
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    Oh christ, who dug this old thread up :fp
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    Oh christ, who dug this old thread up :fp

...what in gawd's name do you mean?.....because this is the most much more bestest thread ever....after all it prominently features Moanin' Tony spewing forth stuff as only he can....then there is my highly humble and not insignificant contribution....the only thing missing is the mature hand of Ram keeping us focused on the straight and narrow....

...I strongly believe that once you re-examine the facts of this case you will see the light....

...and as for who tossed this old fish into the hot noon day sun?....some dude who claims to be a student in the art but has managed to be wrong on just about every point he has tried to make...could be a junior apprentice minion of the Moanin' One maybe ?.....

Cheers
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 01:56 by blutto »

blutto

• Road Captain

....just to put that global warming vs climate change debatey thang into a wee bit of perspective please read the following...

".... the only individual to actually advocate changing the term from 'global warming' to 'climate change', Republican political strategist Frank Luntz in a controversial memo advising conservative politicians on communicating about the environment:

It’s time for us to start talking about “climate change” instead of global warming and “conservation” instead of preservation.

“Climate change” is less frightening than “global warming”. As one focus group participant noted, climate change “sounds like you’re going from Pittsburgh to Fort Lauderdale.” While global warming has catastrophic connotations attached to it, climate change suggests a more controllable and less emotional challenge."

....kinda interesting eh....wonder if the Koch brothers contributed any cashola to this focus group ....

Cheers
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 934
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    4-5 years down the line... what a change. India and China, the evil duo, now very much taken the lead in pushing renewable energy with both planning to have 45+% energy from renewable in the next 5-10 years. Solar and LEDs being pushed like mad with the next gen thinking being having solar panels above the crops and selling excess power to the grid. This is all ignoring the Paris accord drama of the past week.

What remains to be addressed is vehicular emission, and urban pollution, but in the push for manufacturing that is required for sustained growth, it'll be a short to mid term challenge to implement that. However, regulations of engines are likely to get stricter from 2019.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1186
    I'm not competent to give an opinion on that issue. However I think it's widely agreed that one way or another oil and other ressources are depleting and sooner than expected they will vanish. In the meantime prices will be going up. So whatever the truth about "global warming" is we will have to change our way of life and life is going to be much harder and less comfortable for the next generations than it used to be for my parents and grand parents for instance. Besides there's going to be more and more wars of ressources and terrorist acts in return. I'm trying to depend less on oil. I have no car (not even a driving licence) ... Actually I've been very much interested in the survivalist school. If any "expert" would like to expand on that trend, I'd welcome gladly. It seems a bit over the top to me but I think they have some point...
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)