collapse

Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
  • Liked: 215
One year today to the Winter Olympics 2014
« on: February 07, 2013, 06:12 »
In Sochi, Russia.

A Black Sea resort town, with palm trees.

On Feb 6, 2013 it was 21*C there today.  And not a stitch of snow to be seen anywhere.

Any bets on the Winter Olympics coming off without a hitch??
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8993
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: One year today to the Winter Olympics 2014
    « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 07:25 »
    most of the events are not in Sochi though, but somewhere up in the mountains. There was some snow last week for the cross country / nordic combined world cups. The designs of the cross country courses are not bad btw, the races will be interesting, although unfortunately they are extremely ugly, way too much concrete, old soviet style
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 07:32 »
    It's a bit like when they were in Turin in 2006 - Sochi is the location for the indoor events, and the skiing will be elsewhere.  They had a world cup round of the Downhill there last year - good course, quite fast, and if my memory serves, quite technical.  Race was won that day by Beat Feuz

http://news.yahoo.com/sochi-olympics-downhill-course-gets-high-marks-132022396--spt.html

And as for the Games now being less than a year away,
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10726
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 08:01 »
    The biathlon kids from Sweden were happy with the course etc.

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 15:08 »
    I always tune into watching the 2 and 4 man Olympic toboggan..   And those nutters that descend strapped to tea trays on the same course..   

Should be good. 
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 22:50 »
    I do have a secret delight in watching...
    Spoiler (hover to show)
    so :woohoo
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 00:01 »
    In Sochi, Russia.

A Black Sea resort town, with palm trees.

On Feb 6, 2013 it was 21*C there today.  And not a stitch of snow to be seen anywhere.

Any bets on the Winter Olympics coming off without a hitch??

Wow, didnt know Sochi was so great temperature wise. Looking at the weather info though 21 degrees does seem to be a freak high for february. If i had 21 degrees during february though that would make my month.

It's a bit like when they were in Turin in 2006 - Sochi is the location for the indoor events, and the skiing will be elsewhere.  They had a world cup round of the Downhill there last year - good course, quite fast, and if my memory serves, quite technical.  Race was won that day by Beat Feuz

http://news.yahoo.com/sochi-olympics-downhill-course-gets-high-marks-132022396--spt.html

And as for the Games now being less than a year away,
    Was same for Vancouver. The skiing was something like 100k north. And even then they had to bring snow in

As for excitement, same here.
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 215
    One year today to the Winter Olympics 2014
    « Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 17:19 »

Wow, didnt know Sochi was so great temperature wise. Looking at the weather info though 21 degrees does seem to be a freak high for february. If i had 21 degrees during february though that would make my month.
    Was same for Vancouver. The skiing was something like 100k north. And even then they had to bring snow in

As for excitement, same here.

I was at the Vancouver games.  Some of the skiing events were held on the mountains within 15 km of downtown Vancouver, those mountains have a great view of the harbour ... Warm sea air ... Never understood why they did that.  They had to bring in snow for those events.

Most of the events were at Whistler which is 125 km north and inland, they didn't have to bring in snow for those.

The news story on Sochi the other day was interesting.  Estimated spend on facilities is in excess of $50 billion.  About 4 times what even Beijing spent, about 11 times what Vancouver spent.   These "games" are out of control.

They also pointed out that the Russians are currently trucking snow and "stockpiling" it for next winter.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 19:18 »
    Shame about Lindsey Vonn. I hope she is in top shape for Sochi as whenever I have watched women's downhill she has been emphatic.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 16:21 »
    So on the back of the World Champs in Schladming, a few things starting to become clear as we build towards the Olympics. 
    1) Ligety is going to be the man to beat - we already knew that in GS, but his wins in Combined and Super G are a little more unexpected.  This made him the first man to take 3 golds from a WC since Jean Claude Killy in the 60s.  With the downhill course in Sochi meant to be very technical as well, he's got a great chance to take the Olympic combined title as he will be able to limit his losses there. 

2) Svindal is a big occasion performer - done very little all season, but on the big day, nailed it in the downhill.  No reason to expect anything different in Sochi.  Downhill skiers tend to get better as they get older - you get stronger and, particularly on the World Cup circuit, more familiar with the courses, and he's just about the most experienced skiier on the tour at the moment.  Will stand him in good stead for Sochi.

3) Beware the young guns - experience is all well and good, but don't be surprised if some of the youngsters shock us all next year.  Beat Feuz, if he can recover from injury, won the test event in Russia last year and will be a threat, and I really like Dominik Paris who took second behind Svindal and has been skiing brilliantly all year in what is turning into a breakout season for him.

4) Can anyone get anywhere near Hirscher in the slalom?  So exciting, so dominant.  Neureuter has his work come out big time.  Hoping the French skiiers re-discover their form in this discipline - Grange, Lizeroux (if he returns from injury)...big fans of theirs.

5) For the ladies, big news obviously is Vonn and will she return...certainly hoping so.  In her absence, Mikaela Schriffin (aged SEVENTEEN!!!) won the slalom in Schladming and is such an exciting prospect - similarly young and attacking to Hirscher.  Lots of other exciting up and coming talents though who will want to use Sochi as a springboard to make a name for themselves, and take some of the spotlight away from Vonn - Maze in particular, plus the French who had a great champs.  From a purely selfish point of view, I want to see Lara Gut on the top step of the podium   :)

6)  Austria - had a bit of a shocker, and improvement will be demanded and expected.  Goergl and Fenninger need to find their form again before the Olympics.  For the men, only Hirscher won gold, and they didn't even podium in the downhill.  More worryingly, beyond Kroell and Reichelt (who admittedly may find the Olympic course suits his technical style), there aren't many readily identifiable up and coming stars...

Can't wait bloomin' wait  :)
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain

Recent Posts