collapse

StraßenRennen

• Fahr Rad.
  • Domestic Rider
  • Liked: 0
    • GPRO
Books
« on: February 02, 2012, 19:31 »
Anyone read anything half way decent recently? Just read through my 39 book terry pratchett series for the 900th time and am considering starting a new collection...
  • ReplyReply
  • Quote from: Martin318is
    unfortunately, being a moron with a room temperature IQ isn't in itself a banable condition...

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Re: Books
    « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 19:57 »
    I'm just over halfway through Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment at the moment. I find that I both love and loathe his work at the same time.

I forget now which writer once said that one could find all of the range of human experience in The Brothers Karamazov but, even if I hope to discover much more of life in the future, I can well believe that statement.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 19:58 by L'arriviste »
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

StraßenRennen

• Fahr Rad.
    • Domestic Rider
      • GPRO
    « Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 20:09 »
    I'm just over halfway through Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment at the moment. I find that I both love and loathe his work at the same time.

Ive already punished myself through crime and punishment. I then rewarded myself by reading something shorter in Shōgun by James Clavell   ::).
  • ReplyReply

• Libertine Seguros

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 20:13 »
    I'm starting work on Vasily Grossman's Life and Fate, a 1000-page epic centring on Stalingrad and being the WWII counterpart to the great Russian realist epics of the 19th Century.

To be honest though, my favourite Russian writer is Nikolai Gogol, whose works manage to influence both the realist epics of Tolstoy and the surreal, claustrophobic paradoxes of Kafka.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 20:16 »
    Ive already punished myself through crime and punishment. I then rewarded myself by reading something shorter in Shōgun by James Clavell   ::).

It's not very long, compared with War and Peace or A La Recherche du Temps Perdu :)

Reminds me of the great (but rather ill-informed) Alan Partridge, who once said when opening an interview with a writer: "[My] first thought on your book? Don't drop it on my foot."
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 20:17 »
    I'm trying to write one too. But it's all a question of having the time. And I don't.  :(
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 889
    « Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 20:21 »

I forget now which writer once said that one could find all of the range of human experience in The Brothers Karamazov but, even if I hope to discover much more of life in the future, I can well believe that statement.
    Great taste, it is classic. I love that Russians.
    Did not read anything for 6 or so months, can not concentrate ::)
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 20:27 »
    Would love a good or fantasy series to read. Preferably something similar to LOTR or ASOIAF. Read Magician (Riftwar Saga, Raymond E. Feist) and yes, I know what the title insinuates but it was a bit too much magicky for me, I like the novels where magic is more a background thing. Magician ended way too neatly and cheesy too. He clearly wasn't expecting to write sequels :D
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

StraßenRennen

• Fahr Rad.
    • Domestic Rider
      • GPRO
    « Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 20:39 »
    Would love a good or fantasy series to read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld

Only read if you have the following:

A dark sense of hummor.
    You can understand the english langauge version of the books.
    Enjoy seeing various characters progressing throughout the books.

I would recommend reading them in character "mini series basis" order rather than cronological. But free countries free choices, neither way is bad.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
    « Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 20:57 »
    Fiction. I want to finish all of Jack Higgins. :)
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 51
    « Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 15:09 »
    ...currently piling thru a 4 volume collection of short stories written by Philip k. Dick...highly recommended...

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 21:18 »
    I struggle with time to read these days, as i walk to work and ride several evenings a week as not a fan of mornings

but the wet weather this weekend means i may well start on midnight's children by Salman Rushdie. Try an alternate my books between something 'lighter' and something heavier or non fiction. this is an attempt as something heavier than i would normally select.

Last book was Project ULF which was sci fi which is definitely not my cup of tea (i seem to have a very limited imagination and just cannot get involved enough in fantasy / sci fi stories.) but book was written by a friend so thought i would give it a go. enjoyed it more than i thought i would and may even try the second in the series. 
  • ReplyReply

• Quixote

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 00:21 »
    I read Bernard Cornwall's Saxon trilogy in the past year which I think was tops if you like historical fiction. Also, Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese is really good. My wife talked me into reading the Hunger Games trilogy (which is supposedly written for teenage girls). Surprising how good the first two were...easy reads but fun...not Tolstoy you know.
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 00:28 »
    I've read Operation Double Eagle by Owen Sela lately, old book but really nice and thrilling.
  • ReplyReply

• tick

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 01:32 »
    recently re-read Le Morte d'Arthur for the first time in many years. i remembered why i liked it so much when i was a kid.
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 01:34 »
    Currently reading "Our Guerillas our sidewalks" - a  true story  memoir  by a leftist Colombian-  American historian who sympathizes with Guerillas and openly supports their cause in the country's newspapers, reacting to the kid kidnapping of his brother in law by the very   guerilla soldiers he supports in 1988.

So many twists and turns I have to keep checking online that this book really is non fiction
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 01:43 by The Hitch »
    Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

Sylvester

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 38
    « Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 14:37 »
    I didn't read all that much the past weeks (I'm trying to read two books per week), yet I truly enjoyed everything I read. I'm very much into Isaac Bashevis Singer at the moment. Definitely one of the greatest writers of the past century, and arguably the best storyteller. I especially recommend The Family Moskat, a true epos on the pre-war Polish Jews.

I also enjoyed reading Down and out in Paris and London by Orwell (and thought it was a more powerful book than his big novels).

The sergeant in the snow (Il sergente nella neve, I read it in Italian) by Mario Rigoni Stern, an autobiographical book on the retreat from Russia by the Italian Alpine corp during WW II, contains beautiful chapters and is very, very human.
  • ReplyReply

• pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 107
    « Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 22:55 »
    Just started god is not Great by Hitchens. Too early to give an opinion. And I read Heir to the Empire by Zahn to my son before bedtime. He's really into the Star Wars universe and I'm not ashamed to admit that it's entertaining me too.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Well don't run with the riders, you twit."

SAT252

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 22:03 »
    Just read The Sisters Brothers - Patrick De Witt. Set in 1850s America. Very dark but very funny. Worth a read.

S
  • ReplyReply

• Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 06:55 »
    For some reason I have decided to go back and re-read all of the George Smiley series of Le Carre's books.

They are well written and every bit as convoluted as I remember.
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 162
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    « Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 04:03 »
    For some reason I have decided to go back and re-read all of the George Smiley series of Le Carre's books.

They are well written and every bit as convoluted as I remember.

Probably because the movie jsut came out?   ;)

IN the last quarter of THE Honorable Schoolboy as we speak!  :D
  • ReplyReply
  • About Masters Club racing:
    ".. if I can't double the petrol money, I'm headin over the mountains instead" - Michael Fox, Team SAS

Martin318is

• Domestique
    « Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 04:12 »
    Read the Pratchetts again - they deserve it!

Other than that,
    "August 1914", "March 1917", "April 1917" Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn - quite a heavy book but as an Anglo its amazing to read about the Russian front in WWI and the Russian revolution, etc.

Robert Rankin - the Brentford trilogy.  A very weird series of 4 books..
    Le Carre - anything he wrote
    Billion Dollar Brain, Funeral in Berlin, Ipcress File - Len Deighton
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 08:30 »
    My current read:

• ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 17:46 »
    I read Bernard Cornwall's Saxon trilogy in the past year which I think was tops if you like historical fiction.

Love his books - really funny and nice guy as well in the flesh.

Recent good reads include Marching Powder by Rusty Young, his account of his experiences of getting busted as a drug smuggler in Bolivia and the surreal nature of the infamous San Pedro prison.  First read it whilst travelling, and well worth reading a second time.

Also recently finished Stalingrad by Anthony Beevor, a very good and thorough account of the the battle and its consequences, and I am currently ploughing through Hugh Brogan's biography of Alexis de Tocqueville (there is a bit of a history theme in my reading preferences...)

• ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

StraßenRennen

• Fahr Rad.
    • Domestic Rider
      • GPRO
    « Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 18:37 »
    "August 1914", "March 1917", "April 1917" Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn - quite a heavy book but as an Anglo its amazing to read about the Russian front in WWI and the Russian revolution, etc.

Robert Rankin - the Brentford trilogy.  A very weird series of 4 books..

Just bought them all on ebay for a 1euro in total plus shipping looking foward to getting into them.

Recent good reads include Marching Powder by Rusty Young, his account of his experiences of getting busted as a drug smuggler in Bolivia and the surreal nature of the infamous San Pedro prison.  First read it whilst travelling, and well worth reading a second time.

Also recently finished Stalingrad by Anthony Beevor, a very good and thorough account of the the battle and its consequences

And the recommendation from Pedals about Marching Powder, will be taken up too, Stanligrad I have previously read and found it to be a hugely enjoyable book.

And since there seems to be a few historical fiction readers here, let me recommend:

• ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    « Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 00:43 »
    Just bought them all on ebay for a 1euro in total plus shipping looking foward to getting into them.

Shazzam!
  • ReplyReply

• Quixote

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 02:51 »
    Just finished Sisters Brothers by DeWitt. He's a relatively new writer (only his second novel) with a ton of talent. This novel takes place during the gold rush. A couple of brothers, last name Sisters, are killers off to honor a new contract in San Francisco. The problem revolves around one of the brothers beginning to question his profession. The setting is Northern California (actually right in my "backyard" so to speak)...the author takes some liberties with the setting, but all for the good of the story. An easy and quick read this is...get in on the ground floor of a rising star.
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 21:59 »
    Next to salami and croissant section at nearby grocery store I found "I am God" by Giorgio Faletti book for less then 4 euro.
    So far so good nothing to complain expect awful translation and small font.
    Some crazy dude is really peeed of and trying to kill everyone on his way, nice thriller.
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 22:01 »
    Did not see but German dude started book thread ;)
    What did I told you about Germans?
  • ReplyReply

• l29205

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 127
    « Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 19:11 »
    The death of one of the recent greats.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/06/showbiz/ray-bradbury-obit/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Favorite quote in the article.

"In my later years I have looked in the mirror each day and found a happy person staring back." he wrote in a book of essays published in 2005. "Occasionally I wonder why I can be so happy. The answer is that every day of my life I've worked only for myself and for the joy that comes from writing and creating. The image in my mirror is not optimistic, but the result of optimal behavior."
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by LukasCPH
    [Today at 16:36]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by search
    [Today at 15:24]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by ciranda
    [Today at 14:56]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by cj2002
    [Today at 13:22]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by LukasCPH