collapse

Shawn Gossman

• Sunday Rider
  • Liked: 14
    • Tour de Shawn
2011 Trek Marlin 29er
« on: March 20, 2013, 21:49 »
So my choice LBS has a 21" 2011 Trek Marlin 29er that has never been used. The guy helping me find a better MTB is recommending I get it. He asked the LBS owner to put a XT derailleur changeover on the rear and new metal pedals (since the others are plastic crap) and I will likely ask for a better seat as I read the factory one isn't that good. I am wondering if any of you all have any experience with this bike? I'll be using it for rough trail mountain biking (steep hills, roots, rocks, water, etc.) and general path riding (limestone/pavements rail-trails). It is supposed to be a lot lighter than my gravity basecamp 2.0.

What do you all think?
  • ReplyReply
  • 2012 Trek 1.1
    2011 Trek Marlin 29er
    Tour de Shawn - My personal cycling blog!

Shawn Gossman

• Sunday Rider
      • Tour de Shawn
    Re: 2011 Trek Marlin 29er
    « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 17:38 »
    I bought it :P

I went and tested it out first of course and fell in love. It fits me really well. Its a lot lighter than the gravity basecamp mtb. I have an X7 rear derailleur put on as well as a better crank as the one on there had a jump that looked problematic. I also got better pedals with gripping features.

I bought the bike (derail and crank included) for $550 total. The water bottle cage was thrown in for free. The pedals costed about $25 which aint bad, bought some chain lube as well and some Bontrager road bike shoes (be my first bike shoes for my roadie).

I have looked around more... The only issue is I live in a rural area and there isn't a whole lot of options.

I am happy with this bike though nonetheless :)

Here is a pic: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/885176_582405628438092_50039679_o.jpg
  • ReplyReply

• Shawn Gossman

• Sunday Rider
      • Tour de Shawn
    « Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 05:01 »
    If only it would get warm enough for me to do that :(
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11366
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 08:30 »
    If only it would get warm enough for me to do that :(

mtb MEH get out there and go, don´t need warmer weather just clothes.

Might be some new fun as well , snow, ice etc - seriously people ride all year here in Sweden most on MTB´s for winter . I will be when finances are sound be buying a cx bike for winter riding.

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11366
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 12:37 »
    Exactly - "there's no such thing as bad weather ... you've just got the wrong clothes" as (apparently) your western neighbours up there say ...

Snow biking is a blast. Only reason I don't ride more in the winter now is that I'm in the country and have to ride along a relatively busy "route principle" where the shoulders get piled with all of the plowed snow, so it's a bit too dangerous ...

Of course another option for winter biking is one of these: http://ridefatbikes.com/2012/07/beargrease-salsas-new-race-ready-fatbike/

My mate loaned us the snowbikes that he and his girlfriend have for a week while they went off skiing out west .... the rotten bastard! One ride and we're hooked ...   :D

Sweds say the same thing - true though and with Shawn saving money on his bike he can shop more Gear.

and we all know that Gear is good and those who die with the most gear die with the most gear.

ps that look like some sweet rides hmmmm
  • ReplyReply

• Blackbandit222

• National Champion
    • Liked: 225
    « Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 12:54 »
    Good you got shoes n clipless pedals.  Tha :cool:ts more important then upgraded Derailleur.  Cuz mtn parts get  beat up e :cool:sp. that part.   
  • ReplyReply
  • Sagan supporter.

Blackbandit222

• National Champion
    • Liked: 225
    « Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 13:10 »
    Winter is a great time to Mtn bike, slower speeds and tree cover on singletracks means less headwind and wind chill then on road.  Also, fun cross training for elitist roadies ;-)
  • ReplyReply

• Shawn Gossman

• Sunday Rider
      • Tour de Shawn
    « Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 18:37 »
    If I can dress warm enough, I will ride in the winter but me and the cold do not get along at all, lol. The first ride of 2013 was cold, I road biked a hilly area... I was so layered up it wasn't even funny haha. Bib shorts, compression shirt, jersey, arm and leg warmers, tights, cycling jacket, head hat for under the helmet and gloves... The hills were making me hot so I would start taking layers off and then get cold again and have to put them back on >_< my legs getting cold doesn't really bother me but if my head or upper body gets cold, I turn into a whining little girl :P
  • ReplyReply

•