Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3364
    • Velorooms
  • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
What's new
« on: March 24, 2013, 00:32 »
Update 4th April
Today we finally launch our new look homepage. The basic structure stays the same but we now can feature our top topics and articles in an easy to view format. Colour coded and categorised by Races, Discussion, News as well as site news, Archive articles and Games. Creating a welcoming homepage to regular visitors as well as new members and guests.

Welcome to the new look Velorooms. While the look may appear drastic at first, the site is largely the same but has been heavily modified to make navigation easier, the site less daunting to new members, and to speed up browsing. It will also offer a lot more consistency over various platforms such as desktop and mobile.

The last year has seen a lot of change. Velorooms has rapidly grown from an idea to a thriving community, and as such this will be the last major structural change to the site. One that highlights the content (which is excellent) and really shows off what we are about. The focus now, will be on developing and growing the content, attracting new users and taking Velorooms to the next level. Thank you for your patience over the last year as we tried ideas, added things, took things away to finally reach this point.

A quick roundup of some of the changes.

New Improved & Reduced Portal
The portal is now more focused containing just the key information and latest news on the site featuring:
Much reduced navigation menu, easier access to the most used areas
Easy links to the main forum sections along with key areas such as multimedia, glossary etc
The top topics of the day highlighted in a visual carousel
Race Calendar, recent links, recent videos and race chat on the right hand side
A simple entry portal that highlights the best features of the site to both members and guests

Shoutbox
The shoutbox has now returned to the forum section and its original home. It continues to be paired with the "latest activity" stream and users online panel, to provide a place to keep up to date with whats going on.

Navigation
Considerably reduced main navigation panel
For all sections such as forum, multimedia an additional menu is now available by clicking the main page description.

Overall look/Tablet use
The site now only uses one side panel, and that can be disabled. Most of the site should render properly on tablet and mobile without the need for additional themes. This has been tested on multiple browsers (check suggested browser list for more details)

Forum
Basically cleaned up, hot topic icons and needless stuff removed.
All old style smf navigation replaced.
Stickies now not highlighted and are the same colour as the rest of the posts but seperated by a single dividing line.

Profile user panel now updated, much easier to navigate and access PM's, and key areas. All the key areas of your profile admin are identified by icons and clear descriptions.

Alerts
Integrated alerts brought into the last blue theme now ported across. Instant notification of thank yous, quotes, replies to your posts. Whenever somebody quotes you, likes your post you recieve notification in a drop down panel and a small exclamation mark.

Lightbox/Image Display
The image galleries in threads have now been improved and will be quicker and smoother. Images also now support alt tags for captions. So you can now caption your photos using the following bbc code....
[img alt=Your description here] - This is especially useful for race previews etc.

Newsfeeds
Updated and tidied up. The newsfeeds section now contains latest news from all the major cycling sites in four different languages.

Glossary
New glossary section added. Words can be added to form an encyclopedia or dictionary of cycling terms, nicknames, whatever you want.  When these words are used in threads a tooltip will appear to give a full description of the meaning. (This tooltip will be able to be disabled by users not wishing to see it in due course).

Social Media
You can now link your facebook, twitter accounts, or register using a social network for quick and easy login.

Social Sharing
There is now a subtle heart icon to the bottom left which when clicks brings up share options to multiple social networks.

Likes replace the thank-you system. WHile there is no noticable difference to users except the more commonly known "like" button, its much lighter codewise and more configurable. Member totals Will be ported across.

Multimedia Gallery
The new multimedia gallery is now improved with easier navigation to provide an archive of race video, highlights, interviews etc. New videos appear on the portal as well as the latest activity stream as and when they are uploaded.

Video embedding
In thread video embedding has been updated to support a wider range of media, and will be quicker and more lightweight. You still just need to put the video url in for it to automatically embed.

Tinypic Support
We now support uploading of pictures directly to tinypic. Below the message window you will see an "upload to tinypic" button.. This enables you to upload directly to tinypic, it will then give you the embed code to place in the thread. This allows you upload multiple images and put them in a particular place in the thread unlike attachments. (it also saves our server space).
You can still attach in the normal way.

Featured Topics
You will now see a featured topics menu option which will take you directly to all the top topics of the day either in one list, or by category, races, discussion etc.. All the topics will appear with a summary of the topic...

Pro cycling Stats integration
We now support integration with Pro Cycling Stats for easy posting of race results, classifications etc.. There is a custom PCS bulletin board code which you can get by either clicking the icon or typing [ pcs ] [/pcs ] and between the codes putting in the reference number for the results in question..

You get the reference number by mousing over the link on the pcs site to get the 6 digit code as below..

The result????

Garmin Integration
Easy display of your garmin connect activities using a custom bb code and the activity id..

Mapmyride Integration

Still to come
Strava route embedding
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 07:29 by LukasCPH »

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    Re: What's new
    « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 19:18 »
    FAQ

Which browsers do you recommend for viewing velorooms
    Desktop - We test in Chrome, Opera, Firefox and Safari, and as such all four of these browsers are fine for viewing the site. We do use Javascript so using script blockers will effect your experience.

Mobile Browsing: We currently test on browsers using the "webkit" platform which is fast becoming the industry standard: Webkit browsers include - Iphone: Stock and Safari Blackberry: Stock Symbian:  Stock  Android:  Stock (since 4.0), Chrome, Opera Ice (Forthcoming), Opera Beta, Safari Kindle: Stock Windows Phone: IE Mobile for Windows Phone 7 Tapatalk We also support the Tapatalk forum app.  (Not recommended, opera mobile, firefox, android stock pre 4.0)

The bulk of your personal settings can now be changed via the personal "User Control Panel", this is accessed via the "My Profile" drop down menu

How do I Change my time zone
    Go to your control panel and select the "look and layout" option

How do I change my theme?
    To change your theme simply go to your control panel and select the "Theme" option. There is one default theme, but various colour variations will be available, such as the dedicated Giro d'Italia settings.

I dont want other members to see my email address
    Your email address appears in your profile to registered members if you checked the "allow other users to email me" when you registered. To hide your email address again
    Control Panel and go to  "account settings" and uncheck the "allow users to email me" box

How do I change the number of posts visible per page
    Go to your control panel and select "look and layout"

How do I make my personal messages show the most recent at the top?
    From you control panel select "My Message Options" and then check the box for most recent messages at the top

When i click reply or quote it goes to quick reply rather than a new page
    To disable quick reply, go to control panel, select "look and layout" and change the quick reply drop down to dont show at all. (show off by default is not recommended)

When off, all reply and quote buttons will lead to a new post.
    When on, all reply buttons on posts, and quote buttons will go to quick reply, while the larger reply buttons at the foot and footer of the page will go to a new page.

How do i quote multiple posts
    When you quote or reply (with quick reply turned off), or reply using the footer buttons (with quick reply on) you will see the last 30 posts in the thread below your text input window. Each post will have a seperate insert quote button on it.

How do I post a youtube, vimeo, or dailymotion video
    Simple, you just literally put in the url to the video like so> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62kTHVOWYZQ

The site will then automatically embed it and put a title on you.
    Supported sites include: Espn, Facebook Video, Facebook Pictures, Google Maps, Google Video, Justin.tv, Tinypic.com, Ustream.tv, Twitvid, Veoh, Vimeo, Yahoo, Youtube, Dailymotion, Metacafe, Mevio, NYTimes

How do I change my Avatar
    Go to your control panel and  select forum profile and from there you can upload or link to an avatar

How do I change my default smiley set
    Go to your control panel and select  "look and layout" and pick from whichever set you want to use.

How do I use embed codes or post other html elements
    Unfortunately you cant. For security reasons posting html is restricted to admins.

How do I configure which alerts I will see in the alerts popup"
    Go to your control panel and select the option for "Alerts"

How do I get a thread I started to appear on the front page of the forum?
    If you have started a great thread, preferably with a nice intro and an image, simply select the "Add as Featured" option and pick a category. Once its been approved by a moderator it will appear on the featured list. From there items will be picked for the front page graphical carousel.

Where can I view the forum terms and conditions
    You can view the forum rules here
    The member agreement here
    And our privacy policy here
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 19:34 by Dim »

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 16:37 »
    A personal note on the changes..

First up, I wanted to thank everyone who has either taken part over the last year in posting, creating threads, and developing the forum, and everyone who has contributed to ideas and feedback on the new look and structure going forward.

The new look and layout is a dramatic change, and I appreciate it will take some time in getting used to, there have been three key aspects taken into account when implementing these changes.

:* Navigation
    A big focus has been navigation, simplifying it, making it easy for people who arent used to a forum environment to navigate, find topics of interest, and generally find their way around. This has been the biggest challenge, creating an intuative, easily navigated structure while still retaining a familiar structure to those used to a forum environment.

:* Highlighting content
    This is the big one, and the biggest strength of any forum is its content, and thats something that is frequently overlooked by other forums. We have some great posts, some brilliant stage previews, and going with that video highlights, and various other functions to the point where we are more than just a forum, we are also a content site, and for stage previews I would say we are amongst the very best. So how do we highlight that content, how do we get visitors to think "If i want to know about a race, velorooms is a great place to go".. that is something we have achieved with the relaunch.

:* Cross Platform Use
    A very high percentage of our users and visitors are using tablet or mobile devices and this has been a big part of the relaunch. Again, the new layout should provide much improved mobile viewing, and a much more consistent look over multiple platforms.

It is very different to the traditional forum model. You only have to look at the likes of Cyclingnews, Velonews, Bikeradar, their forums are very much seperate from the content, an afterthough. What we have tried with these changes to create is a content driven website which very much has the forum at its heart. The only site doing something similar is perhaps Podium Cafe which is a blog based system focussed around a central community.

There will be problems, there may be things that dont work, and despite extensive testing, these are things that will only appear in time with use of the site. As such there are a group of members who form a "development team" who will be asked for their ongoing feedback and ideas both after the initial launch and also in the gap between the Giro and Tour so we can address any flaws, or failings in the setup. If you want to be part of that team just drop one of the admin a line. You can also post feedback and comments in this thread.

Thanks again to everyone for their tireless work, not just the staff, but the members who provide excellent content - the content that we are now really trying to highlight

Thanks also to the staff, especially JSG who over the last few months, the last month especially has had to take up the reins while i buried myself in code.. So huge thanks to him..

Dave
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 02:11 by Dim »

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 20:26 »
    Known Bugs:
    Fonts in calendar section are the wrong colour.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    « Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 21:10 »
    Excellent jobs, looks beautiful and very modern.
  • ReplyReply

• Blackbandit222

• National Champion
    • Liked: 196
    « Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 13:55 »
    Yay, an instruction manual.     :'(
  • ReplyReply
  • Sagan supporter.

mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    « Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 19:28 »
    I can't find my link to all the new smileys  :D
    can they be accessible from the [more] option or is that a royal pain ?  :?
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 19:30 »
    I can't find my link to all the new smileys  :D
    can they be accessible from the [more] option or is that a royal pain ?  :?

just go to the thread
    http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=1636.0

and at the top next to reply, click "add bookmark"

then just look under forum>>> my bookmarks

thats the tool for adding threads to your favourites list basically.. (you had somehow conspired to add the picture to the links directory of cycling websites :D)
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    « Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 19:35 »
    just go to the thread
    http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=1636.0

and at the top next to reply, click "add bookmark"

then just look under forum>>> my bookmarks

thats the tool for adding threads to your favourites list basically.. (you had somehow conspired to add the picture to the links directory of cycling websites :D)

LOL

• ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 20:46 »
    In the new layout, when you go to click on a thread, it seems to take you straight to the first page of that thread, whereas before, it was possible to click on the final and most recent page.  Is this gone for good?  I appreciate it's not exactly a major thing, but it's a bit of a faff to click onto a thread and then have to find the right page.  Or do I just need to get used to clicking on the 'latest post' button on the right hand side?   :)

Hope that makes some kind of sense...  :embarrassed
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 20:50 »
    In the new layout, when you go to click on a thread, it seems to take you straight to the first page of that thread, whereas before, it was possible to click on the final and most recent page.  Is this gone for good?  I appreciate it's not exactly a major thing, but it's a bit of a faff to click onto a thread and then have to find the right page.  Or do I just need to get used to clicking on the 'latest post' button on the right hand side?   :)

Hope that makes some kind of sense...  :embarrassed

I know what you mean.. for now, it means using the latest post button..
    The page number buttons beneath the post will return at some point, however, if you notice in thread there are previous and next page options.. unfortunately these were also appearing on the board index and ive not quite figured out how to get rid of them..

But they will return.. over the next day or so..

oh, the next and previous were introduced as on tablet and mobile page numbers can be quite fiddly to hit, so the next and previous buttons were built to make it easier for those on non desktop devices to navigate.. so although previous and next dont look useful on pc they are on other platforms.

should be easy enough. both the message page and the board index use the same array which includes teh next button, so just need to build a seperate array for the board index.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6256
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 11:44 »
    I appreciate that some people feel the need to share everything they see. I don't myself.

The heart on the bottom left gets in the way for me sometimes - race chat is one example. If it's put on the bottom right (next to the ^top button) it would be far less disruptive, but still accessible for those who want to use it.
    Just a suggestion.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

doolols

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 33
    « Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 12:53 »
    I've been absent for a while, but returned to this beautiful browsing experience. Very well done. It's been a huge amount of work, I can tell, but well worth it IMO.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 16:54 »
    I appreciate that some people feel the need to share everything they see. I don't myself.

The heart on the bottom left gets in the way for me sometimes - race chat is one example.

Yeah, that bothers me too from time to time.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 16:59 »

The heart on the bottom left gets in the way for me sometimes - race chat is one example. If it's put on the bottom right (next to the ^top button) it would be far less disruptive, but still accessible for those who want to use it.
    Just a suggestion.

I am going to move it and change the design.. its on my to do list..

It was picked up in teh testing phase, but wasnt a "bug" as such so didnt get dealt with so quickly.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2468
    « Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 17:31 »
    Just wanted to repeat the compliments offered above: absolutely brilliant job Dim!

Some more minor things I came across: The shoutboxes return to the top of the page when updated. This makes it really hard to read back after missing a bit, it jumps back constantly and the only way to read it is by clicking on the history thing. Very minor issue since history is just one click away, but still thought I'd mention it.
    Second, am I the only one who's really missing the overview of where you are at the end of a page? I.e. the Forum >> General Road Racing >> Men's Road Cycling >> Topic name thing. I really liked that, allowed me to instantly go back to either the forum homepage or the board I'm in. The Jump to feature provides the same thing to some degree, but imo if the pink par besides it is empty (as it is now) why not add those links?
    And finally, when clicking on a post using the Latest Activity thread, the board it is in continues to be marked as containing unread posts.

Again, all very minor things, especially considering the work you've done, but it may be worth looking at.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 17:35 »
    Just wanted to repeat the compliments offered above: absolutely brilliant job Dim!

Some more minor things I came across: The shoutboxes return to the top of the page when updated. This makes it really hard to read back after missing a bit, it jumps back constantly and the only way to read it is by clicking on the history thing. Very minor issue since history is just one click away, but still thought I'd mention it.

Im not sure why its doing that, i noticed that today. need to look into it.

Second, am I the only one who's really missing the overview of where you are at the end of a page? I.e. the Forum >> General Road Racing >> Men's Road Cycling >> Topic name thing. I really liked that, allowed me to instantly go back to either the forum homepage or the board I'm in. The Jump to feature provides the same thing to some degree, but imo if the pink par besides it is empty (as it is now) why not add those links?

Click the pink page title with the + next to it.. there is a full forum menu there. (and also one at the footer)

And finally, when clicking on a post using the Latest Activity thread, the board it is in continues to be marked as containing unread posts.
    Again, all very minor things, especially considering the work you've done, but it may be worth looking at.

will look into that one..
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2468
    « Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 17:58 »
    Click the pink page title with the + next to it.. there is a full forum menu there. (and also one at the footer)

Ah, but then I still need to look for which forum the topic is in before clicking on it :P Also, the Giro subforum isn't there.

Oh, and the topics on the Giro board don't appear in the Recent Topics thing (which, by the way, is a huge improvement over recent posts, good work there!)
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 18:00 »
    no, i forgot about giro forum when i was building so i just added a temporary "giro button" at the top of each page. Recent topics thing I will fix. :D
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 774
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 09:24 »
    Loving the new look of the site...

Is there a Strava button option anywhere to go with the Garmin, MMR and Endomondo one?
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 12:24 »
    Loving the new look of the site...

Is there a Strava button option anywhere to go with the Garmin, MMR and Endomondo one?

at the moment, no, and the more i battle with the strava code the less likely it becomes..

Embeds for garmin, endomondo, mapmyride, ridewithgps and the rest are all fairly logical, they just use the numeric identifier of the track wrapped in html and an iframe.
    Strava uses the activity id and then a randomly generated api key, which makes it a little less logical to convert into a button. (and they have multiple different embed codes\).
    Im working on it, but it needs to be done so its easy enough for users to use without mods having to tidy up countless posts of strava code :hb :fp
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 774
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 10:49 »
    no worries... thought it was worth an ask :)
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 20:21 »
    The PCS widget has been updated. To get PCS details go to the result page and select

Details> Embed - and then take the 6 digit code for example 118659 and put it between the [pcs ] [/ pcs] tags

• ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 02:10 »
    Just a quick note on adverts.

As most of you know the forum has used google ads for the last 18 months. Ive been getting increasingly frustrated with googles service, mostly the appalling quality of ads they have been serving at times, boobs hanging out of t-shirts etc. There support is also pretty appalling.

So we are trying out a new ad provider which hopefully will
    + provide more relevant ads
    + they do ads on a cpm basis so we get paid by every thousand views rather than clicks
    + they have much better support, allready ive had one email from them offering assistance with a small problem before i even had to ask them

If you do notice any ads that are unsuitable, please let me know.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 02:11 »
    Please note, i am also fiddling around with positioning, so that they appear in such a way to be as little of annoyance as they can while also positioning them in such a way that they bring in reasonable revenue,.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 02:13 »
    Also on any audio ads the audio should appear off by default, if it doesnt let me know. still trying to get things in the right place
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013, 08:18 »
    I've had Smokey the anti-forest fire bear several times now.
    I like that - L'arriviste will know why. :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #27 on: July 20, 2013, 21:22 »
    Small update today.

Quickreply now uses Ajax, so if you use the quick reply box on the last page of a thread it will automatically post without having to reload the entire page.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 21:24 »
    Cutting-edge technology.
    VR, the Sky of cycling forums. :D
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #29 on: July 20, 2013, 21:26 »
    Well that millisecond saved by not reloading the page, that tiny bit of server bandwidth reduced.. Marginal Freaking Gains Buddy, Marginal Gains.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 21:48 by Dim »