collapse

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3364
    • Velorooms
  • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
Re: What's new
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2013, 21:50 »
Second small new addition today. Inline (Ajax) editing of posts without having to bring up the full post screen.

See screenshot

(Clever innit)
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    « Reply #31 on: July 25, 2013, 01:28 »
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 15:46 »
    Automatic twitter embedding now kinda works

just put in the tweet address in the form htt p ://twi tter.c om/CyclismasEditor/status/360447814054064129

and it should automatically embed.

(it may not appear embedded when you post, but on page refresh it will. Waiting to see if the original dev is open sourcing it so it can be converted into a mod)

http://twitter.com/CyclismasEditor/status/360447814054064129

NOTE! YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE "S" FROM THE HTTPS
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 15:57 »
    have asked the author if he is open sourcing it, then can do further work on its integration. And try and get to the root of the smf https issue.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5910
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 16:13 »
    Are the spaces (around the P in HTTP and between TWI and TTER) essential?
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9127
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 16:15 »
    yeah Fus, and it works even better when you include the cow in there

htt p :// :cow twi tter.c om/

;)
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 921
    « Reply #36 on: October 12, 2013, 15:15 »
    Would it be possible to to have the racechat icons change colour when they're active (or have been active in the last say 30 mins) or for them to have the equivalent of the 'new' icon next to them - appreciate the racechat shouts arent the same as posts, so it might not be straight forward.

It would mean that you could tell at a glance whether it was worth going into a chat if you looking for the latest race info.  Just a thought.
  • ReplyReply
  • Youth CQ Game originator.

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #37 on: October 12, 2013, 15:21 »
    Would it be possible to to have the racechat icons change colour when they're active (or have been active in the last say 30 mins) or for them to have the equivalent of the 'new' icon next to them - appreciate the racechat shouts arent the same as posts, so it might not be straight forward.

It would mean that you could tell at a glance whether it was worth going into a chat if you looking for the latest race info.  Just a thought.

automatically> almost certainly not, it would involve looking up if the shoutbox is in use, checking the timestamp on teh last message, comparing it with current time,and then changing teh stylesheet for the forum, and somehow isolating the correct button so only that button was changed.

Manually> a mod or admin adding a "live" icon next to the button when the race chat starts. yes.
  • ReplyReply

• mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    « Reply #38 on: October 12, 2013, 15:45 »
    automatically> almost certainly not, it would involve looking up if the shoutbox is in use, checking the timestamp on teh last message, comparing it with current time,and then changing teh stylesheet for the forum, and somehow isolating the correct button so only that button was changed.

Manually> a mod or admin adding a "live" icon next to the button when the race chat starts. yes.

thanks for the swift reply - appreciate the difficulty in getting it to work automatically. 
  • ReplyReply

• mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    « Reply #39 on: November 14, 2013, 14:52 »
    Is it possible/do people think it would be useful to have the alerts show in the browser tab in the same way as twitter, facebook, web email do showing a number to indicate new tweets, notifications and emails - just a thought.

another thing on a similar vein, again not sure if possible or useful, how about being able to tag people in posts, that generates an alert.
  • ReplyReply

• BadbrainAJ

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 34
    « Reply #40 on: May 01, 2014, 18:27 »
    Always liked this place.Good update Dave and co
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1730
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #41 on: August 05, 2014, 13:15 »
    As much as I love the layout of the front page it is sad to see that it appears not to be maintained, one of the leading stories is thus still the TdF Quiz that never materialized, unlike what it states on the front page.
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 720
    • Getting ready for the Artic Race of Norway...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #42 on: August 05, 2014, 13:30 »
    Is that not this then?

http://velorooms.com/index.php?action=SMFQuiz;sa=categories;id_quiz=17

I am still waiting for the jersey and bibs to come out  :angry :angry :angry :angry
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #43 on: August 05, 2014, 13:42 »
    Is that not this then?

Yes the first six, how ever this is not at all what was stated in the post that is on front page-

Velorooms unveils its new quiz section with a quiz dedicated to the Tour de France. Prior to the race there will be a number of Quizzes  added, and then during the Tour a new quiz will be added every day, giving a total of 30 quizzes, 10 questions each, a grand total of 300 questions to answer in all.

These 30 quizzes never happened, but it still says it is the plan on front page.
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #44 on: August 05, 2014, 13:45 »
    ahhh ok. I didn't get that far down. I just remembered doing a Tour quiz.

Did you ask Dim or anyone?
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #45 on: August 05, 2014, 14:15 »
    Yes the first six, how ever this is not at all what was stated in the post that is on front page-

These 30 quizzes never happened, but it still says it is the plan on front page.
    That is a valid point DB Coop. The problem tends to be that the layout is split into different sections with some of them being updated more frequently. For example, the races section on the left tends to be up to date at all times and similarly the discussion threads on the right. However, there is also for example a News/Site News section which the Quizzes comes under which doesn't have that much in the way of new threads to feature on the frontpage and therefore those are not updated with news threads and the old ones are left up.

Of course if there any threads which you feel are important and deserve attention, feel free to let one of the staff here know and they can put it up on the frontpage

So thanks a lot for pointing it out and that is something we will look into ensuring that all sections are updated and if necessary getting rid or cutting down on some unnecessary categories.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #46 on: August 05, 2014, 14:32 »
    Can I change topic slightly to ask for an "office friendly" skin ?  :shh
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #47 on: August 07, 2014, 17:34 »
    ahhh ok. I didn't get that far down. I just remembered doing a Tour quiz.

Did you ask Dim or anyone?

Sorry, i did plan there to be many more, but personal stuff meant i barely saw any of the tour (about 5 stages in total), and just didnt have the time to do the quiz every day as planned.

I couldnt actually tell you who came 2nd and 3rd in the Tour i saw that little. I know they were french.

On the plus side, we learnt what worked with the quiz, how long to give per question etc, so it will either kick off in teh vuelta, or start in 2015 with quizzes for each of the classics.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #48 on: August 07, 2014, 17:34 »
    Of course if there any threads which you feel are important and deserve attention, feel free to let one of the staff here know and they can put it up on the frontpage

So thanks a lot for pointing it out and that is something we will look into ensuring that all sections are updated and if necessary getting rid or cutting down on some unnecessary categories.

we dont have to add stuff to the "exact category". just consider them a guide
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #49 on: August 08, 2014, 10:38 »
    we dont have to add stuff to the "exact category". just consider them a guide

Do you measure clicks on the different threads on the front page, that way you might get a hint when a thread has gone stale and need to be replaced on front page.
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1978
    • Awards: Giro Prediction Champ 2017
    « Reply #50 on: April 27, 2015, 20:54 »
    This seems to be the nearest there is to an appropriate thread short of opening a new one. 

I can't see what is new (See, I linked it to the topic title) or performing differently on the forum after the 'update' this morning.

I hope it achieved what it was meant to, but more so, I just wanted to say thank you to whoever made sure it went smoothly (from our perspective at least), and that we are no left with something radically changed and functionality either lost or less clear to access. (Yes, CN, I do mean you)

A slight chill ran down my back when I saw the banner over the last few days: I am relieved today.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #51 on: April 27, 2015, 21:10 »
    Ah, it wasnt a software upgrade (Although i did upgrade some of the software last night prior to move).

it was  a hardware upgrade.

The server we are hosted on was upgraded, but also moved about 200 miles, so the old server was shut down, data transferred to new server, then up again. But it was all handled by southwestbroadband our hosts.

We didnt actually have to go into maintenance mode for the process, swb could have just turned off the server and then booted when we were back, but it was just a preventative measure on our end. SMF databases dont play nice when they are just turned off without warning :D

basically we now have more processing power, more ram, extra disc space for all those damn roadbooks (Think we have moved to redhat) and are now located in london instead of kent. :d
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #52 on: January 22, 2016, 10:41 »
    Apparently we moved hosting suppliers overnight, hence the lack of new content when logging in at this point.

Perhaps Dim could offer us an update on that. :)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #53 on: February 22, 2016, 19:40 »

If you're seeing this post, VR is coming to you from a new server environment.

You should find that it's a bit quicker and less prone to those irritating errors you've been seeing lately.

And because it's a new setup, you may also find strange and unexpected phenomena.

In which case, don't call the Ghostbusters, let us know here instead.

Finally, an enormous thank you to Dim, FtP and VR staff for their help and hard work and thanks to you too for your patience.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 845
    • Awards: Reigning Vuelta Prediction ChampRio Olympic Games Prediction Champ
    « Reply #54 on: February 22, 2016, 19:42 »
    Glad we're back, thanks guys!
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #55 on: March 09, 2016, 22:34 »
    Something else is new, too: :cool
    https://twitter.com/lukascph/status/707585177011286017

I'm now part of the communications team at #stolting Team Stölting Service Group[1].
    :)

Once in a while, I will be able to offer some extra insight on team-related matters - but please respect that there will also be times when I can't comment on some issues.
    Finally, this continues to be my personal account, it's in no way connected to the team, and any views presented are my brainchilds.
    One thing has changed, though; I'm now a big fan of *fr Romain Lemarchand! :D
     1. and due to that, henceforth unable to write the team name in any shorter form - I'm already so used to always typing "Team Stölting Service Group" ... :lol
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #56 on: March 10, 2016, 13:51 »
    Can you get me some kit to go with my Rose SL200 ?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #57 on: March 10, 2016, 14:55 »
    Can you get me some kit to go with my Rose SL200 ?
    Ha! :D
    I can ask ... but not promising anything. :-x
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #58 on: March 10, 2016, 17:03 »
    Congrats Lukas great news :party

One thing has changed, though; I'm now a big fan of *fr Romain Lemarchand! :D

Why single out him of all the riders, if I may ask, something special?

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #59 on: March 10, 2016, 18:47 »
    Why single out him of all the riders, if I may ask, something special?
    We had some discussions in the #cult CULT thread on why a Danish team would sign a French rider that didn't add so very much to the squad ... and the same is more or less true for #stolting Team Stölting Service Group.

But now that we're part of the same team, I'm fully on board! Plus, he's a polite, unassuming guy - not at all the stereotypical Frenchman. :)
  • ReplyReply

•