collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10824
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Blackbandit222

• National Champion
  • Liked: 196
Sagan supporter.

Blackbandit222

• National Champion
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 06:06 by Fus87, Reason: fixed pic »

Blackbandit222

• National Champion
Can Sagan return to his winning ways?  Is Bennati, Breschel and Bodnar enough?  Are Deglenkolb, Kristoff, etc encroaching on his specialty?

I think for one Sagan needs to get his fitness straightened out ... I for one trust Julich w this responsibility.
I think his and the teams tactics have left something to be desired ... I hope Riis will help, curious what he prescribes.

The three Bs aren't enough, but will hopefully rise to the Occasion.  Other then the classics Sagan should be fine, w US races (specialized), barring no changes to green jersey rules, etc.  I think one important thing was how much Sagan benefited being a second option at Cdale w Nibali there.  Tinkoffs GC might/ players should be able to deliver Peter a few victories!
1. Less pressure ~ even w contract
2. Peloton control n Pacing on climbs
***3. They have the strength to be at the finish of races to deliver timely assistance!  Something lacking at Cdale.

Even with increased competition an on form Sagan w a stronger team should win uphill sprints and sprints at end of difficult stages.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 864
    I've let suspicion (or skepticism, your choice of words) temper my enthusiasm for Sagan - but yesterday's Stage 16 descent in the Tour was magnificent. He made that one of the most memorable stages, at least of this year, if not for a few years. Kinda like Nibali's famous descent, or DeGendt's famous break, or Pinot's breakout win.

This is one rider who consistently attacks and rides excitingly and exceedingly well.

Chapeau, Peter! I'll have to start cheering for him to win!
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 298
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    It was a cracking bit of descending
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3504
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    not a fan girl ...

but his performances in this Tour have been impressive.   He has fought for the points on every stage, in every intermediate sprint ... fought for the break and fought for the win when he made it.

And his descending skills (and overall skills) are incredible.

:pray
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    . . .

:pray
    :rofl !

I hear he can not live in Slovakia any more. He gets mobbed whenever people see him - making it impossible for him to do anything approaching normal. One of the podcasts said that there were like 4 Slovakians competing in their nationals - but they got national tv coverage because of Peter! Cycling has become their 2nd national sport (after ice hockey) because of Peter's success.

Fortunately Sagan has not yet succumbed to a wunderkind mentality - he seems to maintain his humility and humor. Ahem, sorry, I should say he has maintained what humility he had to start with!

It would be nice to see a team supporting him - but he would probably have to take a cut in pay!

Actually, I kind of like things the way they are. Tinkov is such a Steinbrenner - if they (the team) can put up with him - and just take the money - they certainly have provided entertainment! If Contador is not on top, we have Sagan. And, just to keep the stew interesting on the off day, we have Tinkov. Who IS one who has succumbed to wunderkind mentality. "I'm rich, so that means I am smart and I am right. And you should pay attention - and don't forget to bow on your way out."

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 12:48 by hiero, Reason: correction Slovenia / Slovakia »

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    I hear he can not live in Slovenia any more. He gets mobbed whenever people see him - making it impossible for him to do anything approaching normal. One of the podcasts said that there were like 4 Slovenians competing in their nationals - but they got national tv coverage because of Peter! Cycling has become their 2nd national sport (after ice hockey) because of Peter's success.

Slovakia.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1277
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    Slovakia.

And he definitely can't go out in Czechoslovenia
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    Slovakia.

Ooops. Complete face-palm embarrassment. You are so right. I will fix that immediately.
  • ReplyReply

• Gia

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 0
      • Welcome to my world...
    Tour de France
    « Reply #71 on: July 24, 2015, 04:37 »
     :D
    I love Peter Sagan new look! He's obviously has been working out! ;-)  He's is the best man for the green jersey win!  Any Sagan fans?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 06:05 by Gia »
    Gia

QuintanaWiggo

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 28
    Re: Tour de France
    « Reply #72 on: July 24, 2015, 08:31 »
    you need to work on your thread title a bit here... :angel
  • ReplyReply

• Gia

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 0
      • Welcome to my world...
    I don't even know how to work this site…Sadly, I know.  :-(  I am new here. 
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    well - :welcome    (even if you are a Sagan fan   :P  )

he certainly has been having a great Tour.  Deserving of green, and should win most combative overall as well if they do the right thing
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1277
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    well - :welcome    (even if you are a Sagan fan   :P  )

he certainly has been having a great Tour.  Deserving of green, and should win most combative overall as well if they do the right thing

Has he got a French passport?  :shh
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    feel free to come and join us in live chat for the racing

http://velorooms.com/index.php/page,Livechat4.html
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Yaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyuuuhhhooooooooooooooooo :P

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Fairly scandalous that we haven't had an update to this thread in light of recent events.

Uncle Shane's article attempts to discover the real Sagan ...

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/10/the-real-peter-sagan-beneath-the-surface-who-is-the-new-world-champion/

... and fails to a large extent because it's still a bunch of fairly bland vox pops about a young man whose character has been obfuscated by hungry media, polemics and an unprecedented amount of hype.

Not that anyone has some sort of right to know his character, of course, and I think we should remember that. I think it's better that he remains an enigma. That's what sporting legends are made of.

The Sagan of 2015 is still horsing around but he has completed many more races and lost a lot of them too. He is also still as fascinating to watch albeit thankfully more for his on-the-bike exploits nowadays.

I have certainly warmed up to him more this year. How about you?

PS. Screw Tinkov! :P
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 851
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    I've certainly warmed up to him this year too, although not as much through his exploits in the TdF although they certainly were impressive.

I have to say the moment I really started to like him was when he got hit by the moto and showed his anger in the Vuelta. Although we certainly want to see less of that type of incident, it's always great to see a sportsperson show real passion.

His Richmond win was also highly impressive and will hopefully banish any doubts that he is capable of such big victories in the minds of fans (and probably for himself). I have to say I thought that the rise of Degenkolb and Kristoff might have put an end to many of Sagan's opportunities, filling in a niche which he had previously occupied by himself. I'm not a great fan of Degenkolb and even less so of Kristoff, so great to see Sagan's style and panache win out on this occasion.

Also have to say that there are few moments that really make me think "wow" in pro cycling. Nibali's Il Lombardia descent was one, Sagan's pedalling whilst sat on his top tube in Richmond is another. That is what he is capable of and hopefully we will see more of it with a monument win in the next year or two.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1526

This piece, a visit and interviews with Peter Sagan's family is a good notch better than most sports journalism out there.  Recommended!
  • ReplyReply

• killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1051
    Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6166
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    He's also taken to cooking now: :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

hiero

• Road Captain
    Now he has TWO rainbow jerseys, and a Kurne-Bussels-Kurne. And more 2nds than you can shake a stick at. Topped with a personality to rival or even best Cippolini. AND, he can win in a multiple of styles - sprinting or lone break or out of a small break.

I think, that when he is done, we will have the first true rival for Merckx in the history books.

Lovin' it.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    He's also taken to cooking now: :cool

" . . .I don't know, how it's possible. I can cook." 

A TRUE Sagan quote for all time. That has got to be one of the greatest, Super Bowl level, ads for all time. Funny as hell!
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    Hi everybody! VN had a small article about Sagan here:
    http://www.velonews.com/2017/03/commentary/how-does-peter-sagan-do-it_431497

But the MEAT and VN's source was nrc.nl, here:

https://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2017/02/24/in-the-land-of-peter-sagan-a1547723

Lovely article. I'm not sure what to make of the sidebar commentary on Helena Sagan and Lubomir Sagan's (mom and dad)  housing arrangement. But otherwise, the research and article offer some very interesting insight.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1526
    You can't repeat a good thing too often   :)

• ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    Another great quote, but this from the Bora team manager:
    he’s an artist that you cannot play. He’s an artist on the bike.

From Velonews.
    http://www.velonews.com/2017/03/news/bora-director-canny-tactics-could-expose-sagans-weaknesses_432799

BTW, did you see the tweeted clip of Sagan dodging a pedestrian with a dog in the TT? Beautiful, but I'll bet he was ticked off! Pedestrian was oblivious.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1302
    I'm wondering how anybody can be a Buddhist and an admirer of Sagan.  :shh Must be the men's duality.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

hiero

• Road Captain
    I'm wondering how anybody can be a Buddhist and an admirer of Sagan.  :shh Must be the men's duality.

Huh? Buddhist? You TOTALLY lost me on this one, Ech!

Pozzato calls Sagan numero uno - for ALL TIME.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pozzato-for-me-sagan-is-the-strongest-rider-of-all-time/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cyclingnews%2Fnews+%28Cyclingnews+Latest+News%29

But Milan San Remo is not so predictable. We've had some interesting racing already this year - maybe we'll get luck with M-SR!

Cheers all;

H
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Stig Broeckx Recovery Thread by Echoes
    [October 22, 2017, 15:37]

Re: Gree - Tour of Guangxi by Echoes
    [October 22, 2017, 11:17]

5 Easy Facts About How to watch Tennis Live Described by DanielfrusE
    [October 22, 2017, 10:10]

Re: Misc. American Tour Races 2017 (Vuelta a Guatemala) by Leadbelly