collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1063
Probably the former Dalai-Lama avatar and recommendation to self-hypnosis relaxation technique confused me. Anyway I cannot imagine a Sagan fan who does not have the same narcissistic and attention-seeking behaviour as him. Probably because I like riders for their personality first and not that much for their talents. I never hated a rider before (unlike some might have thought). Even Armstrong, I didn't care because he did not really race "my" races. With that man it's different. If I talk too much about him, I'll get banned ...
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

hiero

• National Champion
    • Liked: 610
    Probably the former Dalai-Lama avatar and recommendation to self-hypnosis relaxation technique confused me. Anyway I cannot imagine a Sagan fan who does not have the same narcissistic and attention-seeking behaviour as him. Probably because I like riders for their personality first and not that much for their talents. I never hated a rider before (unlike some might have thought). Even Armstrong, I didn't care because he did not really race "my" races. With that man it's different. If I talk too much about him, I'll get banned ...

Ah, I see. I do have some Buddhist tendencies in my mores, but I'm not what anyone would call a Buddhist. And meditation, or self-hypnosis sessions, and/or relaxation techniques are a very useful thing I've talked about on occasion. Not often, but when the soap box is there, I'll stand on it.

Personally, I think it would be hard for a Sagan fan to be like him - he is one of a kind. I would not have used narcissistic or attention-seeking as descriptors for him any more. The first year, both words popped up quickly in thoughts regarding his behavior. But having watched him, and looking for both those traits, I no longer think them applicable. Flamboyant, yes. Fun-loving, mischievous, yes. Clever, yes. Competitive, extremely yes. But also honorable, considerate, temperate (unlike some hot-heads in the peloton like, say, Bouhanni?) And massively talented on the bike.

One thing for sure, people don't usually call me narcissistic or attention-seeking! But I've never been able to stand out in a crowd the way Sagan does.
  • ReplyReply
  • Ubi est ignis

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459

Well there's the difference I guess. I don't give a crap what a rider acts like when not on his bike, I want to see him race. And there is no rider with a better racing attitude than Sagan.

You can't imagine a Buddhist liking Sagan for his personality, I can't imagine a cycling fan not liking him for his riding.

With his kind of riding, he could be a misogynic Justin Bieber loving neo-Nazi wearing cargo shorts who routinely uses the 'crying with laughter' emoticon to indicate mild amusement on social media - I'd still be a fan[1]
     1. OK, truth be told, I might not be able to look beyond the crying with laughter thing, but otherwise the statement stands
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1063
    Sagan is an attention-seeker. It's not Echoes speaking, it's Frederik Willems, former teammate at Liquigas who had remained friend (his attitude does not seem to bother him, must be a matter of upbringing). I shared that article on the BMC thread. "Van Avermaet would never seek attention, Sagan however." It was just in his first year, really? This is really the moment I realised that the guy had a problem. I hope nobody tells me it's funny because it's just lame and does not bring a nice image to the sport at all. And yes, even if Bouhanni is a creep, I usually like riders who can at times be hot-headed like say Oliver Naesen then attention seekers like the Slovakian guy. There had always been big mouths and quieter guys in the peloton, it's the way it is. But attention-seekers like that, I've seen very few of them in 28 years of watching cycling. It must be my upbringing. My father has always disliked him since he first saw him (before me!). "Look at me, I'm the strongest, I'm the most handsome". That's how he'd describe him despite saying once to me that he was "really strong".

Well there's the difference I guess. I don't give a crap what a rider acts like when not on his bike, I want to see him race. [...]

I can conceive that. Though I find it very sad.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• National Champion
    IMHO, Sagan showed us brilliant racing in Gent-Wevelgem. Without Petr, with just GvA and Terpstra as big names? It would have been a good finish - exciting. With Sagan in the mix, it was about 90% more exciting. His attempt to bridge - when he broke on the right hand side of the road, using the road furniture to make the break a solid one? Brilliant.

You know what? I'm happy - we are seeing real racing, I think. And really exciting competitions! Lovin' it.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• National Champion
    Anybody else notice - Sagan cut his hair. Chopped the long locks. Good thing, IMO, as that long long hair was getting kinda bedraggled looking.
  • ReplyReply

•