collapse

Straydog

• Sunday Rider
  • Liked: 0
Re: Bike set up Questions
« on: February 21, 2012, 23:18 »
Neck ache has been less of an issue but i do get it when riding for more than 2 hours, especially in the evening after work
After the initial responses i did try adjusting my saddle slightly. I actually moved it back a tiny amount and changed the tilt so it was flatter, before it was slightly tilted forward.

this seemed to help slightly, i still had some numbness but it was less and took longer to come in. also felt like there was slightly less weight on my arms. Unfortunately due to a number of reasons i have only managed one ride since making the change so jury is still out.

yeah this makes sense too....moving the saddle back and flattening it, can often help if the problem if basically you are being pitched onto your arms/hands. It flattens out your back and should reduce the load upfront...still monitor the undercarriage though....doing what I have just described can cause you to sit on your perinaeum.

And I should have said before that just moving the saddle forward, without raising the stem, can actually worsen the problem, as it actually causes the drop angle from saddle tip to hoods/ drops to be greater leading to more neck flex and weight on arms etc

sorry if I am making it sound confusing....it really is difficult without seeing you on bike and knowing how flexible you are. Trial and Error is unfortunately the way to go. I'd suggest that if the arms feel better in the position you've now adopted, but that you get neck ache, try raising the stem one spacer.

Your saddle fore/ aft position should basically leave your leg position as (with pedals at 3 o'clock) a straight vertical line from just behind your kneecap to your pedal/ cleat. So if your leg position is correct, you should basically be aiming to set up the front end of your bike so you are able to rest your arms, with a slight bend in them, on the hoods whilst maintaining comfort and without feeling that you are "stretching"
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: 2022 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by Leadbelly
    [January 27, 2022, 21:13]

Re: 2022 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by t-72
    [January 27, 2022, 20:49]

Re: 2022 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by Leadbelly
    [January 27, 2022, 19:15]

2022 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by Leadbelly
    [January 27, 2022, 19:07]

Giro 2022 - General Discussion by t-72