collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10901
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Jan Ullrich
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:34 »
JAN ULLRICH FOUND GUILTY OF AN ANTI-DOPING RULE VIOLATION BY THE CAS

Lausanne, 9 February 2012 – The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has rendered its decision in the arbitration between the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) and the German cyclist Jan Ullrich & Swiss Olympic. The CAS has partially upheld the appeal filed by the UCI and has found Jan Ullrich guilty of a doping offence. As a consequence, Jan Ullrich is sanctioned with a two-year period of ineligibility starting retroactively on 22 August 2011. Furthermore, all results achieved by the athlete on or after 1 May 2005 until his retirement are annulled.

Full report

http://www.tas-cas.org/d2wfiles/document/5691/5048/0/Award20FINAL202083202012.02.09.pdf

Full media report

http://www.tas-cas.org/d2wfiles/document/5692/5048/0/Media20Release202012.02.09.pdf
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

bicing

• I'm a bot.
    • Domestique
    • Liked: 148
    • Radioshack Nissan Trek owner
    • Awards: Funniest member 2012Best post 2012Best thread 2012
    Re: Jan Ullrich
    « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 10:51 »
    Next for the CAS, a case about the doping of Jacques Anquetil.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycman: Sagan Greipel Brajkovic Breschel CA.Sorensen Porte Wegmann Sutton Zubeldia Fedrigo Lastras Roux Selig Morabito Dumoulin T.Meyer
    CQ game-breakers: Boom Ciolek DeGendt Steegmans Bertagnolli Blythe Masciarelli Stetina Boeckmans Vaugrenard

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 980
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 10:56 »
    Next for the CAS, a case about the doping of Jacques Anquetil.

:)

Sagacity.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 489
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 11:08 »
    Contador and now Ullrich. Pat's lining them up. Bang Bang!

(yes, i suck at photoshopping)
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

Damiano Machiavelli

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 18
    « Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 17:50 »
    This sport gets more ridiculous every day.

The date that bans begin needs to be improved.   Why choose the date of the CAS hearing for the start of the ban?  There are lots of possible dates a ban could start.  It could be last day he raced.  It could be when he announced his retirement.  It could be when his Swiss license lapsed. It could be the day the decision was rendered.  It could be the day he was forced out of the sport  because of doping revelations.  It could be the May, 2005 date since that is when Ullrich's race results begin to get annulled.  The date bans start seems to be all over the place.
  • ReplyReply
  • Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the Earth quakes and the poison arrows fall from the sky and the pillars of heaven shake. Yeah.  Jack just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Gimmie your best shot, pal, I can take it."

Cobblestones

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 4
    « Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 18:25 »
    Again, as in the case of Contador, this is the right decision but coming much too late. There's little doubt in my mind that Ullrich was doped throughout most if not all of his career. I'm actually surprised that he got only 2 years, since this is his second ban. I thought the standard was 8 years (although that might have been introduced at some later time). Still, the question has to be asked why these decisions take so much time. The appeal process is just too slow. Maybe the one good thing coming out of it is that riders might be less likely to appeal when they see that bans are upheld by CAS. This might also free capacity at WADA which could be spent on looking into other cases.
  • ReplyReply
  • Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.

Damiano Machiavelli

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 18
    « Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 18:42 »
    My only issue is that a rider who was forced out of the sport because of doping allegations and then sat on the sidelines not competing for five an a half years should have some of that time count toward a ban, even if it was only the one and a half years between the time he was prevented from starting the Tour to the date he retired.

The effective length of bans for riders are all over the place.  Mosquera is doing three years.  Landis was given two and a half.  Contador get about thirteen months out of competition.

I hope Ullrich makes a statement to the press and acknowledges the reality of doping the 90s and 00s.  It would do a little to combat the bullsh*t that is coming from the McQuaid, Ligget, and the others who want to whitewash what happened.
  • ReplyReply

• Cobblestones

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 4
    « Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 18:51 »
    My only issue is that a rider who was forced out of the sport because of doping allegations and then sat on the sidelines not competing for five an a half years should have some of that time count toward a ban, even if it was only the one and a half years between the time he was prevented from starting the Tour to the date he retired.

The effective length of bans for riders are all over the place.  Mosquera is doing three years.  Landis was given two and a half.  Contador get about thirteen months out of competition.

I hope Ullrich makes a statement to the press and acknowledges the reality of doping the 90s and 00s.  It would do a little to combat the bullsh*t that is coming from the McQuaid, Ligget, and the others who want to whitewash what happened.

I agree, the decision to start the ban in 2011 is retarded.

However, I think that Ullrich should have given an 8 year ban starting in 2005, which, coincidentally, would also end in 2013. Same difference for me.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 18:56 »

I hope he gets his book out and in english soon
  • ReplyReply

• usedtobefast

• Domestique
    • Liked: 81
    « Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 03:01 »
    really???more lameness.the anquitel ref is very funny. Cancellera interview is good.
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 700
    • 💜craig walsh💜;💜Krebby💜
    « Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 03:37 »
    Contador and now Ullrich. Pat's lining them up. Bang Bang!

(yes, i suck at photoshopping)

Actually, that pic is pretty good.  :)
  • ReplyReply

• pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 107
    « Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 03:58 »
    It's good that this mess is finally over. The whole affair has been kind of sad. He was obviously a Fuentes client, so the 2 yr ban is deserved, but I'll echo the comments that having the ban begin now is strange. I read that the UCI wanted a lifetime ban. I wonder what their beef is with Ullrich after all the crap other riders have tried to pull. Maybe Jan should have blamed his behaviour on the Jägermeister or a vanishing doppelgänger.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Well don't run with the riders, you twit."

mew

• Road Captain
    • 💜craig walsh💜;💜Krebby💜
    « Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 04:03 »
    It sure seems like Jan got the worst end of all of this compared to everyone else. Sad. I am glad that he seems to have a really good family and life now, as he so deserves.
    I wish him the best.
  • ReplyReply

• python

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 17
    • still to be born
    « Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 04:59 »
    ......... I wonder what their beef is with Ullrich .......
    for the life of me, i can't figure it out  :(

i could understand the uci demands for legal fees compensation or if they pursued millions in unpaid fines. as such those were chump change or out-of-scope.

looks like a case of blind vengefulness b/c ulle chose to be independent of the double-faced uci crooks  >:(
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    « Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 07:15 »
    Even when banned Jan stays classy. His report on his own website is in my opinion honest and I'm glad its over for Jan. If only the UCI made the same effort they put in to get Jan to get Lance I'll be happy. :)
  • ReplyReply

• bicing

• I'm a bot.
    • Domestique
    « Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 07:57 »
    It's clear that the best approach to getting a doping ban is to fight it and fight it as long as you can, while winning every race like it's your last. Valverde and Contador's strategy. Imagine if Ullrich, Basso or VINO had done this?
  • ReplyReply

• lucky

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 13
    • @LVCKV
      • in the drops
    « Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 09:48 »

Ullrich had offers from other teams after T-Mobile fired him, but decided to quit.
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2245&dat=20070222&id=m8Q0AAAAIBAJ&sjid=fiEGAAAAIBAJ&pg=4756,6567845
  • ReplyReply
  • Zabel - "Look at this ****! Why didn't I become a surfer?"

in the drops

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 858
    « Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 10:46 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ullrich-apologizes-for-fuentes-dealings

Hey, look at that! Contrition, admission, humility, acknowledgement of guilt, apology...

Ullrich is setting an example that the likes of Valverde, Vinokourov, Contador, Di Luca etc. would do well to follow.
  • ReplyReply

• bicing

• I'm a bot.
    • Domestique
    « Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 11:16 »

Hey, look at that! Contrition, admission, humility, acknowledgement of guilt, apology...

Ullrich is setting an example that the likes of Valverde, Vinokourov, Contador, Di Luca etc. would do well to follow.
    You only apologise when you can't or don't want tohave anything to do with the sport ever again.
  • ReplyReply

• thirteen

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 1
    « Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 11:18 »
    bravo, Ulle!
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 12:22 »
    You only apologise when you can't or don't want tohave anything to do with the sport ever again.
    No, you apologise if you have a shred of dignity or respect for your fans and colleagues.
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 13:10 »
    I am glad to hear an apology from Jan.

But i hope that in a few years time he will spill all he knew about his time in the peloton and its doping.

The more we know the better. Remember lots of the riders who rode during Ullrich's time end up on teams as director sportifs and they need to be called out if we are ever gonna hope to see a change from the doping culture that persists.

Goodluck to Jan with his bike frames and grandfondos etc..
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6644
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 13:39 »

True but as Benotti says, it would be better to hear some more (preferably while it's still relevant). I don't know if it was just me, but weren't we being told that there would be a lot more to follow after the decision came out?

It's a neat, simple and dignified response but his admission was nonetheless limited to talking of "associations" with Fuentes.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 13:40 by L'arriviste »
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

bicing

• I'm a bot.
    • Domestique
    « Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 13:48 »
    No, you apologise if you have a shred of dignity or respect for your fans and colleagues.
    You idealist
    I realist
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 13:52 »
    If I was an idealist I'd be asking for Ulle to publish a detailed list of all the things he ever took and all the times he ever saw anyone else taking anything, like Arriviste and Bennoti are.

I am not asking for that, I don't think it is reasonable to compel or even expect convicted dopers to turn on their former team-mates.

I DO think it is reasonable to expect that convicted dopers actually face up to the reality of their situation and take responsibility for their actions, rather than making a mockery of the sport and insulting the intelligence of the fans by maintaining a ludicrous pretence of innocence and trying to portray themselves as the victim.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6644
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 14:00 »
    If I was an idealist I'd be asking for Ulle to publish a detailed list of all the things he ever took and all the times he ever saw anyone else taking anything, like Arriviste and Bennoti are.

I am not asking for that, I don't think it is reasonable to compel or even expect convicted dopers to turn on their former team-mates.

I DO think it is reasonable to expect that convicted dopers actually face up to the reality of their situation and take responsibility for their actions, rather than making a mockery of the sport and insulting the intelligence of the fans by maintaining a ludicrous pretence of innocence and trying to portray themselves as the victim.

Come on, dude, neither of us said we wanted lists etc and of course I agree: you're absolutely right. Certainly he need only look at Floyd or Tyler Hamilton as examples of how naming names never gets you very far.

I'll rephrase: it would be good to hear more because yes, he doesn't owe anybody anything. Except probably his lawyers.  :(
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 14:01 by L'arriviste »

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 14:05 »
    Sorry, I wasn't having a go, just trying to draw a comparison. No offence intended.
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • 💜craig walsh💜;💜Krebby💜
    « Reply #27 on: February 11, 2012, 18:36 »
    Jan is classy.
    I don't think he will do a tell-all book. Also, I disagree with the cn article that says his career ended in 'disgrace'.   

it is the UCI and other people involved that are a disgrace.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 18:37 by mewmewmew13 »

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 11:36 »
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 19:18 »
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Posts