collapse

pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
  • Liked: 107
Re: Jan Ullrich
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 01:21 »
Jan Banned from riding some sportives
Meanwhile, Contador's hometown team changes its kit to celebrate some of his accomplishments. His team's main sponsor uses him in prominent ads. Under the guise of showing support in good time and bad, but of course it's because their analysts predicted that they'll come out on the right side of the benefit/loss equation. The contrast between these two suspensions (technically of equal duration) is interesting, one guy can ride the Vuelta in a few months, the other guy can't even line up for a sportive for two years.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/saxo-bank-show-support-for-contador
  • ReplyReply
  • "Well don't run with the riders, you twit."

mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 700
    • 💜craig walsh💜;💜Krebby💜
    « Reply #31 on: February 14, 2012, 03:40 »
    Meanwhile, Contador's hometown team changes its kit to celebrate some of his accomplishments. His team's main sponsor uses him in prominent ads. Under the guise of showing support in good time and bad, but of course it's because their analysts predicted that they'll come out on the right side of the benefit/loss equation. The contrast between these two suspensions (technically of equal duration) is interesting, one guy can ride the Vuelta in a few months, the other guy can't even line up for a sportive for two years.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/saxo-bank-show-support-for-contador

Sad. And what is even more ironic is that Armstrong is out podiuming in public again.  >:(
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 858
    « Reply #32 on: February 14, 2012, 09:07 »
    Money talks.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3365
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #33 on: June 22, 2013, 14:51 »
    Velonation

Upon admitted to his past deeds, Ullrich took the “everyone else was doing it” road. “Yes, I have taken advantage of the Fuentes treatments,” he stated. “Almost everyone at the time was taking performance enhancing substances. I haven’t taken anything that wasn’t taken by others. For me, a scam is when I get an advantage first. But this was not so. I wanted to ensure an equal opportunity. What I’ve hurt the most is my public perception and my potential health.”

and most telling

“What makes me angry the most is that Armstrong was protected by the [governing bodies].”

Cycling News
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #34 on: June 22, 2013, 14:53 »
    Whats weird is the timing, and why its big news, he had already confessed a while ago.

In 2012 following his suspension he was pretty clear about it, that he had used fuentes and regretted it.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 15:05 by Dim »

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    « Reply #35 on: June 22, 2013, 15:38 »
    Whats weird is the timing, and why its big news, he had already confessed a while ago.

In 2012 following his suspension he was pretty clear about it, that he had used fuentes and regretted it.

Timing? Puerto trial over. TdF starting next Saturday.
    Big News? Ullrich huge star in Germany and makes news even if just confirming what he said in the past.

I'd like to read the full interview though and see if Ullrich adds anything new.

I'm hoping for something new on the protection of Armstrong, but realistically it is probably just a rejurgitation of USADA comments.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6923
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #36 on: June 22, 2013, 15:53 »
    Oh. My. God. :O
    I didn't believe it until just now. This is clearly the biggest revelation in the history of cycling, and a huge surprise.
    My childhood hero is no more.

[/sarcasm]
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 126
    « Reply #37 on: June 22, 2013, 16:52 »
    Yeah we know Jan was a dirty doper. But just in case we forgot. Cycling. You motherflipping bitch.

I want tennis & football to get fliped for a change too.

*Buys subscription to Golfer's Monthly*
  • ReplyReply
  • Hey, Bart! Your epidermis is showing!

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10901
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #38 on: June 22, 2013, 17:19 »
    Aye Keith the full interview is interesting to me, I want to know about what happened at the uni, Fuentes old news , blaiming armstrong For the cold war sure but it started way before the dodgy Spanish gynecologist.
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Joachim

• National Champion
    • Liked: 290
    « Reply #39 on: June 22, 2013, 17:30 »
    Ahhh the good old parallax world of the pro cyclist.  Doping isn't cheating. Cheating is getting an unfair advantage over your competitors in your doping.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 13:15 by Joachim »
    "You can't handle the truth"

Colonel Nathan R Jessup

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    « Reply #40 on: June 24, 2013, 11:51 »
    Ullrich confession - Online Focus  Summary

Unfortunately, it appears that the full interview is only available in the print edition.

Interesting that both Tony Martin #quickstep and Marcel Kittel  #argos both criticise the timing of his confession. Focus seem to be adamant that this is the first time that Ullrich has publicly confessed. Also, the German anti-doping agency seem to want to have a few words with him.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #41 on: June 24, 2013, 11:58 »
    Interesting that both Tony Martin #quickstep and Marcel Kittel  #argos both criticise the timing of his confession.
    They have a point. With a bit of success for them in the Tour, the image of cycling in Germany could have changed a bit. Now everything will revolve around Ullrich and his doping again, and the actual Tour results will be an afterthough at most.

To give you a picture of how messed up the media coverage in Germany is: Apparently there was a TV crew at the German championships yesterday.
    Not to cover the race, no (it was almost impossible to find a liveticker to write a race report from - had to randomly change the URL of an old liveticker hoping to be lucky). They were there to interview cyclists, officials and spectators about their thoughts on Ullrich's confession. :fp

Focus of course want maximum attention. Never liked that paper anyway, neo-liberal spinsters that they are.
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    « Reply #42 on: June 24, 2013, 12:57 »
    Well yes it's nuts isn't it.

Thing is, it's the equivalent of current pros being hassled for their views on Armstrong.
  • ReplyReply

• kabloemski

• krebsy's #1 rooster booster
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 126
    « Reply #43 on: June 24, 2013, 16:59 »
    Now everything will revolve around Ullrich and his doping again, and the actual Tour results will be an afterthough at most.

To give you a picture of how messed up the media coverage in Germany is: Apparently there was a TV crew at the German championships yesterday.
    Not to cover the race, no..it was almost impossible to find a liveticker..to interview cyclists, officials and spectators about their thoughts on Ullrich's confession. :fp

That's so crappy, it sucks.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #44 on: June 24, 2013, 19:46 »
    That's so crappy, it sucks.

No what is crap is the Kaiser will only admit to Fuentes, such b.s.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #45 on: June 24, 2013, 19:51 »
    No what is crap is the Kaiser will only admit to Fuentes, such b.s.
    Beckenbauer used Fuentes? :O

Can't help it, but "Kaiser" in connection with sports is one person, and one person only, in my mind (and that of most Germans, I suppose). Never heard it used about Ullrich in Germany.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #46 on: June 24, 2013, 19:53 »
    Beckenbauer used Fuentes? :O

Can't help it, but "Kaiser" in connection with sports is one person, and one person only, in my mind (and that of most Germans, I suppose). Never heard it used about Ullrich in Germany.

Really maybe an oz thing ?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #47 on: June 24, 2013, 19:56 »
    Could be.
    The accepted nickname for Jan Ullrich in Germany always was "Ulle". Plain and simple.

And then there was "Ete" of course, and the famous soigneur "Eule" (don't even know his real name).
    Ah, the good old Telekom days... :cool:
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #48 on: June 24, 2013, 20:08 »
    Das Kaiser was the full nickname  fwiw
  • ReplyReply

• Joachim

• National Champion
    « Reply #49 on: June 24, 2013, 20:15 »
    Das Kaiser was the full nickname  fwiw

You've just neutered poor old Jan   :wut
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #50 on: June 24, 2013, 20:18 »
    Yeah, classic case of English speakers not grasping the concept that there are three genders in German.
    They're used to only having "the".

Das Kaiser sounds like a café, à la "das Sacher". Maybe not so bad a nickname for Ullrich after all. :lol
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #51 on: June 24, 2013, 20:20 »
    You've just neutered poor old Jan   :wut

Der Kaiser it was my bad

Fus http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Ullrich
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #52 on: June 24, 2013, 20:25 »
    Der Kaiser it was my bad

Fus http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Ullrich
    Shame really, the thought of Ulle referred to as a café had a nice ring to it.
    I looked at the wiki page - if you click on the German version you'll note that only Ulle is listed as nickname there.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #53 on: June 24, 2013, 20:26 »
    English wikipedia is totally unreliable for non english riders.. always use the native wikipedia
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1751
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #54 on: June 25, 2013, 00:05 »
    With the 98 retest news I'm starting to think this might be good timing after all, if one of Ulle's tests come back positive, quite likely, than he will almost now have to discuss that as well, to me the interesting thing is what happened after the Festina Scansal, is it true that Ulle stopped doping and didn't start again until '01 after realizing something was wrong with Armstrong in 2000. A clean winner of the '99 Vuelta?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2386
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #57 on: August 04, 2018, 19:52 »
    Five years later...  :-x

Jan Ullrich arrested in Majorca

Jan Ullrich, the only German cyclist to win the Tour de France, has been detained in Spain's Balearic Islands for allegedly forcibly entering his neighbour's house and threatening him, police said on Saturday.

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2296
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #58 on: August 04, 2018, 20:18 »
    Five years later...  :-x

Jan Ullrich arrested in Majorca

Assaulting Til Schweiger, no less. What a basterd.  :D

Post Merge: August 06, 2018, 09:04
    I hadn't realised how bad things had got for Ulle.

I'm adding a link to his thread on CN. Recent posts make for some sad and disturbing reading.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17070&start=220
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 09:04 by Mellow Velo, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2386
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #59 on: August 08, 2018, 00:22 »
    I'm adding a link to his thread on CN. Recent posts make for some sad and disturbing reading.

I originally thought a lot of that sounded a bit too tabloid. But I guess it's all true.  :(

Ex-Tour de France champion Jan Ullrich "in despair" and looking to enter rehab

1997 Tour de France winner Jan Ullrich, who was arrested in Mallorca on Friday evening after reportedly jumping over a neighbour’s fence, has said that separation from his wife and children has “thrown me into the deepest despair” and that he is undergoing treatment for addiction.

Supposedly Lance has flown over there to offer Jan some help and support? Not sure if this has been confirmed, but Lance had spoken extremely fondly of Ullrich during one of his TdF podcasts a couple of weeks ago. It wouldn't surprise me at this point.
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Posts