collapse

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
  • Road Captain
  • Liked: 904
G.I. Jane vs GL, wtf?
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:42 »
I am not a food freak cos relatively gifted fast metabolism and do not count grams, fat, etc. Just eating everything 8) For some of you this maybe helps, but I know only professional athletes who really count those stuff.
 Glycemic Load (GL) is relatively new and is fill the gap which Glycemic Index leaves. One example if we are talking low GI foods and high GI foods at the same time has the effect of ‘averaging’ the GI.

This is important, as most foods are eaten as part of a meal and this affects the GI value of foods. For example, eating cornflakes (a higher GI food) with milk (a lower GI food) will reduce the effect on blood sugar levels.

So GI does not take in effect the quantity, well GL which is in simple terms:" a measurement of how high a blood glucose level will rise after eating a specific amount of specific carb, it simply combines quality of the carbs, and quantity of the carbs into one number, rather than just tell us "ok avoid Nutella it has high GI, why do not eat Nutella? :-*

One example: The carbohydrate in watermelon, for example, has a high GI 75. But there isn't a lot of it, so watermelon's glycemic load is relatively low. In fact I do not a person who got fat cos of watermelon.
Comparative table of GI and GL

Formula for calculating GL
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:45 by The Fluffy »
    Reverend Fred Saves!!

Recent Posts

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by Drummer Boy
    [Today at 00:36]

Re: Men's Kits 2020 by Drummer Boy
    [Today at 00:31]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2019, 19:29]