collapse

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 7165
  • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Re: BUGS
« Reply #570 on: January 05, 2018, 09:48 »
PCS embeds not working in the Road Nats thread for me.

http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=8849.new#new
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7144
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #571 on: January 05, 2018, 11:23 »
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #572 on: May 08, 2018, 05:22 »
    Quote from: EvansIsTheBest
    The registration form on Velorooms is still not working so I'd appreciate it if somebody could post the update there

Quote from: Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarten
    I have the same problem as EvansIsTheBest with registering at Velorooms, so if somebody could post the update there I would be much obliged.

Some problems for people wanting to join and post the CQ updates.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11917
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #573 on: May 08, 2018, 06:14 »
    thanks, we are aware of that, but the tech team is not available t the moment, I think. So this may take another couple of days
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6713
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #574 on: May 10, 2018, 20:09 »
    Some problems for people wanting to join and post the CQ updates.

thanks, we are aware of that, but the tech team is not available t the moment, I think. So this may take another couple of days

Many apologies for the late response.

Should be OK now. Please let me know if anyone has any more problems. :)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 10:00 by L'arri »
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2573
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #575 on: July 30, 2018, 17:54 »
    What's the deal with Twitter embeds?

It used to be that when tweets didn't fully show, I could hold SHIFT while refreshing the page, and that would often work. For some reason, I would sometimes have to scroll to the top of the page before refreshing, or I'd have to refresh three times before it would work. But now, no matter what I do, the tweets never fully reveal themselves (images, etc). So is it me or my settings?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #576 on: July 30, 2018, 18:55 »
    If only I knew ...
    Sometimes they embed fine the first time, sometimes they do on a refresh. Sometimes they don't work at all.
     :S
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #577 on: July 31, 2018, 11:48 »

It used to be that when tweets didn't fully show, I could hold SHIFT while refreshing the page, and that would often work. For some reason, I would sometimes have to scroll to the top of the page before refreshing, or I'd have to refresh three times before it would work. But now, no matter what I do, the tweets never fully reveal themselves (images, etc). So is it me or my settings?

If only I knew ...
    Sometimes they embed fine the first time, sometimes they do on a refresh. Sometimes they don't work at all.
     :S

It's very difficult to pinpoint the cause. Certainly ad and script blockers complicate things as does the relatively new implementation by some browsers of disabling tracking by default (in Firefox, for example, this is shown as a shield icon in the Address Bar, while in other browsers it's buried in the settings). Tracking is unfortunately a part of what Twitter does and it may not deliver the "rich" content of tweets if tracking is disabled.

What happens is that, when a VR member first posts a tweet, the text of it is stored by us. That's what you see by default and that has nothing to do with Twitter per se. What happens then is that your browser asks Twitter for the real live tweet and what result there is depends on your browser and its settings.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #578 on: August 20, 2018, 22:37 »
    Some members may have noticed that the forum has been unavailable for quite a long period today. I didn't become aware of the situation until this evening, at which point it had probably been down for about two or three hours already and it has taken me until just now to get it working again.

Apologies for any inconvenience and/or lost posts. We believe the cause of the issue was connected with an attempt to change to the special Vuelta theme for the upcoming GT and we'll try to get it resolved without further downtime.

Thanks,

L'arri x
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #579 on: August 21, 2018, 02:15 »
    Apologies for any inconvenience and/or lost posts;

Lost posts!? I had just tirelessly submitted complete previews and reviews for every stage of the Vuelta, along with the results of each stage and a final recap! :o

Now you're just going to have to wait and watch three weeks worth of racing to find out what happens.  :P
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #580 on: January 04, 2019, 19:58 »

PCS widget not working for me. I'm guessing something has changed at the PCS end of things rather than an actual bug?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #581 on: January 04, 2019, 20:58 »
    PCS widget not working for me. I'm guessing something has changed at the PCS end of things rather than an actual bug?
    Yeah, I noticed this too.
    And it probably is due to changes on the other end as they redesigned their website.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #582 on: January 05, 2019, 21:45 »
    How bizarre. Look at the top post on this page. Almost to the day the exact same thing happened last year.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #583 on: January 10, 2019, 19:36 »
    It seems that our "friends" at PCS have changed their embedding method again. There are now three components needed to successfully embed a race, not just the ID.

These are the keys id, k and p. Without all three correctly defined, the embed doesn't work. Needless to say, this will mean all past posts (pre-2019) with PCS results will now fail.

I am not aware of any notification that they would do this. It is not an absolute requirement to warn people, of course, especially when the embedding facility has been made freely available, but nor is it cool just to take it away like that.

Classic PCS. Great concept, dreadful personality.

Unfortunately there's not much I can do yet. I can't allow everyone the permission to post iframe code in the forum, so I guess I would have to find a different way. I'll look into it.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 19:48 by L'arri »

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #584 on: January 10, 2019, 20:16 »

Now it will have to be something like ...

That is ...

Code: [Select]
    [pcs]id=218430&k=1440cpzo4Qha&p=05f84e4f3d[/pcs]
    ... Where on the PCS website, you click MORE and Embed and copy-paste the querystring part as below ...

I can't allow the whole URL because that could be abused.

Unfortunately because there are three unique keys involved and these have all been generated recently, it is impossible for me to retroactively apply this change throughout all of the PCS embeds of the past. So this is effectively Day Zero.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #585 on: January 10, 2019, 20:26 »
    Code: [Select]
    [pcs]id=218430&k=1440cpzo4Qha&p=05f84e4f3d[/pcs]

My p and k values are different id=218430&k=tYpX7vZuzE9R&p=b3e69dca93

Still works mind, which is the main thing. Good job l'Arri. :cool
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #586 on: January 10, 2019, 20:29 »
    My p and k values are different id=218430&k=tYpX7vZuzE9R&p=b3e69dca93

Still works mind, which is the main thing. Good job l'Arri. :cool

This suggests that there is some sort of hashing mechanism and that, as a result, they may change and/or expire.

Let's see what happens in the future, but I think this should serve as a reminder to us that this is a free service and thus liable to frequent, unannounced changes.

Certainly they have been debating ads and/or a private area of their site, so there is obviously some pressure on resources. Every little embed like this adds up in terms of bandwidth usage, but then that's a consequence of offering stuff for free from the outset and then trying to monetise it later ...
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2871
    « Reply #587 on: January 10, 2019, 21:43 »
    I will try to find out if the guys over at First Cycling are interested and willing to offer a results widget. Their database is better than PCS when it comes to junior and U23 races.  A tweet recently passed my eyes (althoug I cannot find it again) showing how much better Jaku Hänninen's results are represented in the First cycling database compared to at PCS.

Have a look for yourself:

Hänninen at First Cycling

Hänninen at PCS

The guys that make First Cycling also operate a sister site skisport365.com about ... guess what, and yes, they are Norwegians.  :D
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #588 on: January 10, 2019, 21:47 »
    Found the original tweet...after reconstructing it of course:

https://twitter.com/LosBrolin/status/1082605307740803072
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #589 on: January 10, 2019, 23:10 »
    A tweet recently passed my eyes (althoug I cannot find it again) showing how much better Jaku Hänninen's results are represented in the First cycling database compared to at PCS.
    PCS do UCI races and only UCI races. Which is their choice - but does leave out all those non-UCI races that especially the 'big' cycling countries have a lot of, and that sometimes carry more prestige than some UCI races.

FC[1] do non-UCI races too. Which is great - but also a massive undertaking. And where do you draw the line? Do they include all the rounds of the Rwandan Cycling Cup[2]?

OK, I just checked. They do have all (A category) races in Scandinavia, e.g. That is seriously impressive.
     1. I'll just call them that
     2. not sure of its name, but there is a race series in Rwanda that all the local riders participate in, but basically nobody else
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #590 on: January 11, 2019, 19:39 »
    PCS do UCI races and only UCI races. Which is their choice - but does leave out all those non-UCI races that especially the 'big' cycling countries have a lot of, and that sometimes carry more prestige than some UCI races.

FC[1] do non-UCI races too. Which is great - but also a massive undertaking. And where do you draw the line? Do they include all the rounds of the Rwandan Cycling Cup[2]?

OK, I just checked. They do have all (A category) races in Scandinavia, e.g. That is seriously impressive.
     1. I'll just call them that
     2. not sure of its name, but there is a race series in Rwanda that all the local riders participate in, but basically nobody else

But no embed facility yet that I can see.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #591 on: January 11, 2019, 22:34 »
    Leave that in the hands of the Norwegian. ;)
    I will try to find out if the guys over at First Cycling are interested and willing to offer a results widget.

The guys that make First Cycling also operate a sister site skisport365.com about ... guess what, and yes, they are Norwegians.  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #592 on: January 13, 2019, 21:30 »
    Btw, what's with that weird glitch in the Latest Activity window that every now and then shows someone supposedly casting a vote in the Is Horner's Vuelta win believeable poll from the Darkside thread?

Not that it's not amusing, I just don't believe that anyone is randomly casting a vote five years after the fact.  :P

It almost feels as if the forum itself is nudging the issue to the forefront, so utterly in digital disbelief this many years later of what transpired.
     :D

It's odd though. I seem to notice it every few months.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #593 on: January 14, 2019, 11:38 »
    Btw, what's with that weird glitch in the Latest Activity window that every now and then shows someone supposedly casting a vote in the Is Horner's Vuelta win believeable poll from the Darkside thread?

Not that it's not amusing, I just don't believe that anyone is randomly casting a vote five years after the fact.  :P

It almost feels as if the forum itself is nudging the issue to the forefront, so utterly in digital disbelief this many years later of what transpired.

It's odd though. I seem to notice it every few months.
    When you look at the stuff spammers post, it's not at all unbelievable they would vote in a long-forgotten poll, too. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #594 on: January 14, 2019, 15:48 »
    When you look at the stuff spammers post, it's not at all unbelievable they would vote in a long-forgotten poll, too. ;)

But I distinctly remember seeing even Flo supposedly casting a vote not long ago. And I'm willing to give her the benefit of doubt.

(Other members, too.) :slow
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #595 on: January 14, 2019, 18:12 »
    But I distinctly remember seeing even Flo supposedly casting a vote not long ago. And I'm willing to give her the benefit of doubt.

(Other members, too.) :slow
    Well, that is strange. :S
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    « Reply #596 on: January 15, 2019, 19:36 »

Leave that in the hands of the Norwegian. ;)

The Norwegian has some news for you but would like to direct you to the dedicated thread on results widgets, started already last year. :)

(Go directly to last post in that thread)
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: 99th Volta Ciclista a Catalunya by search
    [Today at 07:42]

Re: Milano - Sanremo by M Gee
    [March 25, 2019, 23:44]

Re: 99th Volta Ciclista a Catalunya by Mellow Velo
    [March 25, 2019, 21:48]

Re: Milano - Sanremo by Echoes
    [March 25, 2019, 21:01]

Re: Milano - Sanremo by M Gee