bicing

• I'm a bot.
  • Domestique
  • Liked: 148
  • Radioshack Nissan Trek owner
  • Awards: Funniest member 2012Best post 2012Best thread 2012
Green Edge
« on: February 10, 2012, 08:11 »
Where's the train? I haven't seen a thing!

I know what they mean by their edge being green if by green they mean not fully developed or perfected in growth or condition; unripe; not properly aged.

Impressive to win a WT GC in first ever race, but it's the TDU after all.

Love the website headline: "Kruopis gets GE its first ever intl road podium!" YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

[EDIT: Just added the Greenedge logo to your OP - L'arriviste]
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 17:18 by L'arri »
    Cycman: Sagan Greipel Brajkovic Breschel CA.Sorensen Porte Wegmann Sutton Zubeldia Fedrigo Lastras Roux Selig Morabito Dumoulin T.Meyer
    CQ game-breakers: Boom Ciolek DeGendt Steegmans Bertagnolli Blythe Masciarelli Stetina Boeckmans Vaugrenard

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 926
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    Re: Green Edge
    « Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 08:36 »
    They've been a blunt edge apart from Gerrans.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 08:45 »
    i do not know why i dislike them so much. but every race i want them to fail.

probably just the whole UK / Aus - Sky / Greenedge thing, that and knowing how over the top they will be if they do well
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10760
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 08:50 »

probably just the whole UK / Aus - Sky / Greenedge thing, that and knowing how over the top they will be if they do well

Living in OZ being English and supporting Sky I see that wait till the track at the Olympics then you will know all about it. Olympics means people who don´t even know what a bike it become an world expert in Australia.

It must still be Charlie Walsh's fault 

ps last of his riders soon to be retired
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 09:00 »
    Its funny, Lotto has more Belgians than GreenEdge has Aussies but their not accused of being jingoistic.

It's not an excuse but Qatar is the first race for many of these guys together. I'm not too fussed about lack of results now (especially in a race against Cavendish, Farrar, Boonen) but end of May/Start of Giro you would hope they have some decent wins in their palmares otherwise its going to be a long season.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 09:06 by Tuarts »
    2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 09:17 »
    Its funny, Lotto has more Belgians than GreenEdge has Aussies but their not accused of being jingoistic.

It's not an excuse but Qatar is the first race for many of these guys together. I'm not too fussed about lack of results now (especially in a race against Cavendish, Farrar, Boonen) but end of May/Start of Giro you would hope they have some decent wins in their palmares otherwise its going to be a long season.

I think the thing i struggle with is Australians incredible over confidence when it comes to sport. They always think they are going to win and are happy to say so and their sports coverage is pretty biased (i know most countries coverage is, but even the UK is not as bad as here).

I think the above is one of the reasons for Australia's success in sport and the way in which they seem to achieve more than larger countries.

because of the above, think i get a sneaky thrill when they fail. it is very petty, checking the results to see where there first rider finished.

Think i am getting a little personal perspective of how a lot of people felt about sky when they first came on the scene.

I should be fair and say i think GreenEdge themselves have been fairly subdued and not nearly as arrogant as Sky were, i am just projecting what i have seen in other Australian sports on to them.

That and everyone knows the Aussies and Poms love to hate each other. we are like siblings
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 09:19 »
    Living in OZ being English and supporting Sky I see that wait till the track at the Olympics then you will know all about it. Olympics means people who don´t even know what a bike it become an world expert in Australia.

It must still be Charlie Walsh's fault 

ps last of his riders soon to be retired

I am dreading the olympics, have a nasty feeling the Aussies are going to have the edge on GB and going to be watching a lot of coverage of their wins
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
    « Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 10:42 »
    I think the thing i struggle with is Australians incredible over confidence when it comes to sport. They always think they are going to win and are happy to say so and their sports coverage is pretty biased (i know most countries coverage is, but even the UK is not as bad as here).

I think the above is one of the reasons for Australia's success in sport and the way in which they seem to achieve more than larger countries.

because of the above, think i get a sneaky thrill when they fail. it is very petty, checking the results to see where there first rider finished.

Think i am getting a little personal perspective of how a lot of people felt about sky when they first came on the scene.

I should be fair and say i think GreenEdge themselves have been fairly subdued and not nearly as arrogant as Sky were, i am just projecting what i have seen in other Australian sports on to them.

That and everyone knows the Aussies and Poms love to hate each other. we are like siblings

I always think that you guys are expected/suppossed to take the mickey out of each other at every chance. I heard a joke there in the other place that it must be in the constitution :D  :P
  • ReplyReply

• Spider1964

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 1
    « Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 11:32 »
    Now... If we could just get the Poms to have the occasional shower? Wait? Sorry? Are we being nice? To Poms?

Move on.... Nothing to see here.  ::)
  • ReplyReply
  • “The wise speak only of what they know.”

“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend”

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3363
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 11:46 »
    I always think that you guys are expected/suppossed to take the mickey out of each other at every chance. I heard a joke there in the other place that it must be in the constitution :D  :P

This is the thing, most Brits in my experience dont have a rats bums if we beat australia in something. . Rugby fans tend to view the games against the home countries more serious than playing australia. Yeh, a few cricket fans see it as important but thats purely because its the ashes. Britain could play timbuctoo in the ashes and there would be a rivalry. Its like america, the only real rivalry we have are politics and the ryder cup.

On the whole, in my experience, the mutual mickey taking is fairly one sided. Generally brits only stoop to aussie bashing if the aussies start it.

On the whole I think most british fans have been quiet laid back about Sky's success. Australia on the other hand are going mad just because Greenedge are going to the TOur.

I have issues with Greenedge because of their pretty poor team, the constant hype, Nygaard creating himself as some sort of team creation master, and their exceedingly lousy website. And yes, its funny to see the sprint team fail in qatar
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:47 by Dim »

Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 12:19 »

On the whole I think most british fans have been quiet laid back about Sky's success. Australia on the other hand are going mad just because Greenedge are going to the TOur.

Sorry Dim but what the flip have you been smoking?  ???
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3363
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 12:27 »
    Sorry Dim but what the fornicate have you been smoking?  ???

ok, ive been fairly quiet about skys success, at least compared with the aussie fans.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 13:20 »
    ok, ive been fairly quiet about skys success, at least compared with the aussie fans.

Where have people being shouting that GE are awesome because they are going the Tour? To me, its just you reading people excited about an Australian registered team going to the Tour as hype or them going overboard.

Same with the TDU. Gerrans has just won it, less than a month ago. People can celebrate it, they can't be pleased? Its only the start of the year too, of course its going to get talked about a lot until the

I haven't seen anything, in the team themselves, the media or from the (majority of) fans that seems to indicate any expectations of GE to do anything other then try to win some sprints and contest in the classics. If there's been more, please, point me to it. I think people are reading into things too much and letting their prejudices get in the way of an informed opinion.
  • ReplyReply

• bicing

• I'm a bot.
    • Domestique
    « Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 13:27 »
    Where have people being shouting that GE are awesome because they are going the Tour? To me, its just you reading people excited about an Australian registered team going to the Tour as hype or them going overboard.

Same with the TDU. Gerrans has just won it, less than a month ago. People can celebrate it, they can't be pleased? Its only the start of the year too, of course its going to get talked about a lot until the

I haven't seen anything, in the team themselves, the media or from the (majority of) fans that seems to indicate any expectations of GE to do anything other then try to win some sprints and contest in the classics. If there's been more, please, point me to it. I think people are reading into things too much and letting their prejudices get in the way of an informed opinion.
    I think all there is so far is excitement and pride that we have a top tier team. For the first time. Ever.
    Most people have low expectations for the team. And we've been taking the p!ss of our own tea,m, a LOT.
  • ReplyReply

• sublimit

• National Champion
    • Liked: 159
    « Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 13:57 »
    Now... If we could just get the Poms to have the occasional shower? Wait? Sorry? Are we being nice? To Poms?

Move on.... Nothing to see here.  ::)

I think you got the wrong thread.  This is ridiculing .. er discussing the Greenedge cycling team.

Showers are for girls and Shane Warne.    ;D
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 15:06 »
    They don't excite me too much, but I still hope they have a decent March and April.

Will give them the benefit for the first year but if they don't achieve anything there needs to be some reasonable changes to the squad.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 15:37 »
  • ReplyReply

• brassyn

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 28
    • Just a fan. Also, not a man.
      • FYC
    « Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 16:34 »
    I find the team a little uninspiring at present.  The kit is pretty awful, especially Tuft's national champ jersey and let's not even get started on the team song, sorry anthem.   :)

That said, I find the riders they've signed pretty appealing and I'm happy to see what they can do this year. I just can't handle the bullishness of Matt White and the self-involved smug pettiness of Brian Nygaard.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 16:41 »
    I find the team a little uninspiring at present.  The kit is pretty awful, especially Tuft's national champ jersey and let's not even get started on the team song, sorry anthem.   :)

That said, I find the riders they've signed pretty appealing and I'm happy to see what they can do this year. I just can't handle the bullishness of Matt White and the self-involved smug pettiness of Brian Nygaard.

Wow a tom petty song...must have not been cheap.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 16:42 by zam »

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 21:27 »

I my case this is true. I think the reason i want them to fail is i know how unbearable Aussies can be. it is true they have not been too bad so far and would even go as far as saying that from what i have seen they were actually fairly subdued after TDU. The only dodgy comments i saw came after Yates had a dig at them first.

cannot figure out the multiple quote thing. Dim - maybe the case for many people in UK that they do not care about beating Australia (i seem to remember the press enjoying wins in rugby and cricket) but it is a different case here. Sydney is full of British people and as a result there is a lot of banter around sporting events between the two nations.
  • ReplyReply

• Night Rider

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 0
    « Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 23:15 »
    Where's the train? I haven't seen a thing!

It's quite ironic that a team that looks on paper like a 24 man sprint train, can't actually put a decent sprint train together  :-\

Poll on first sprint stage win? May or June sometime?
  • ReplyReply

• Dekker_Tifosi

• Super Saiyan 3
    • Neo Pro
    • Liked: 3
    « Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 23:29 »
    It's quite ironic that a team that looks on paper like a 24 man sprint train, can't actually put a decent sprint train together  :-

Poll on first sprint stage win? May or June sometime?

Bitch please

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 23:31 by Dekker_Tifosi »

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3466
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 00:14 »
    I think all there is so far is excitement and pride that we have a top tier team. For the first time. Ever.
    Most people have low expectations for the team. And we've been taking the p!ss of our own tea,m, a LOT.

yep - people here are just excited that we have a team. 

Comparing the hype this year in Aus to that for Sky this year is unfair.   Try comparing to Sky when they started ..... and Greenedge isnt even close to that OTT rubbish   :P

Having said that, I do think that they seem to have an expectation that they will do well, rather than an idea that it will take a few years to build up and work for success which is unfortunate.
  • ReplyReply

• Spider1964

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 04:07 »
    I really don't understand why, if people dislike Greenedge, they see the need to bash Aussies as a nation? I dislike the way Rabobank race, but I don't bash Dutch people. I support Renshaw and hope he goes well, but would do the same whatever team he's on. There's riders on Sky I like and hope go well (Cav, Henderson, Sutton, Rogers), but I certainly get sick of the teams ott hype, especially from their no 1 fan, but I don't hold that against the English. And for Dim to say that the Poms only react to Aussie baiting... Well he's obviously never sat in the outer at a cricket game anywhere near the Barmy army! Rash over generalizations will get you nowhere.

Greenedge is such a tiny part of the sporting landscape in Australia, that I'm 100% sure if you asked 100 people in the street who Greenedge were, the majority wouldn't know? Fans on a cycling forum of course do, but not the average punter, they're getting their fantasy footy teams picked at the moment.. And those teams are Aussie rules or Rugby League teams, definitely not Union.

Me, I like their kit, but know not all do. I like what they're trying to achieve, like most of their riders, but I sure as hell know that they're going to have more failures than successes this year.. And next.. But it's not going to make me stop supporting them or other teams riders I admire. Or worry about Greenedge not having a sprint train in Qatar.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 926
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 04:37 »
    True. My first post was in jest.

I think if GE do a job of increasing the profile of cycling in Australia even minutely, they're doing a good job. Lotto have a shed load of Belgians and Rabobank Dutch. If there's no complaining about them, then there's no reason to complain about Sky or GE. Pompous media? For most of us, cycling isn't the only sport we follow and the media are much more brainless for other sports (cricket in a few of our countries, football in most).

I thought that the banter between the Australians and English was one of the better ones in sport. Most of the fans' words are in good spirit (it appeared), heck even I've given the Australian team and fans some grief in the stadium in 2004 and would accept it if such were dished out to me.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 05:17 »
    Banter on the internet is like sticking a DVD into a CD player. It just never works. :D
  • ReplyReply

• Ryaguas

• WTF?
    • Neo Pro
    • Liked: 0
    • The Hitch's fan
    « Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 02:56 »
    I dont have anything against the team... the only thing that bothers me is that they are WT in their first year... their is team is just sprint sprint sprint that is not WT material... Europcar should have their WT license....
  • ReplyReply
  • Inspired by Climbing
    Allez Contador

bicing

• I'm a bot.
    • Domestique
    « Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 07:27 »
    I dont have anything against the team... the only thing that bothers me is that they are WT in their first year... their is team is just sprint sprint sprint that is not WT material... Europcar should have their WT license....
    Hey, to be fair they do have Pieter Weening, who used to look like Rasmussen and therefore can qualify as a GC/Mountains rider.
  • ReplyReply

• stefrees

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 13:56 »
    Two things that have annoyed me- the apparent ungracious attitude towards endura/tiernan Locke (from twitter comments I saw) and the seriously over the top guy who does greenedgefans twitter

But I thought gerrans was fairly humble after winning tdu, and I'd like to see goss do well. Can't stand Meyer/bobridge/durbridge though
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 00:03 »
    I can remember in the late 1990's or early last decade, when the Aussie's were far better than England at cricket, in a test match in Australia and England once again getting spanked, the Aussie crowd doing one of their chants against the English and the Barmy Army chanting back 'Get your sh1t stars off our flag!'. As an outsider in this England/Australia thing, I have noticed this living in England, there does seem to be a few fair Aussie's in England, so deep down they must love their masters  :P

As for gREENedge, they look an average team at present, but that could change as they do have some good young guys so the future could be alright for them.

I had a very enjoyable experience sat with the Barmy army as England won the Sydney Ashes test last year. They have some great songs for the Aussies and were enjoying finally being on top.

• ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by hiero
    [July 25, 2017, 23:10]

Re: Tour of Wallonia by Echoes
    [July 25, 2017, 19:54]

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Leadbelly
    [July 25, 2017, 16:39]

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by jimmythecuckoo
    [July 25, 2017, 16:31]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by Armchair Cyclist