Tuart

• Pobblebonk
  • Road Captain
  • Liked: 483
  • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
Re: Green Edge
« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2012, 03:58 »
Nah those murmurings will never leave  :P

Tuart out of general interest, what would you see as a successful (WT)season for the 'Edge?

Depends how you define success I suppose

15th on the UCI Sporting Value rankings at the end of the year?

More than the average number of wins in the year in comparison to other WT teams? (23 in 2011)

I don't really have any "ranking" myself as to how a team should be successful, for GE, to get something out of the classics, a stage in one of the GTs and to be competitive all year would be a good debut season...imo.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 162
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    « Reply #121 on: March 15, 2012, 04:06 »
    I think that they would consider it a successful season if they manage to win some decent stuff (like a GT stage or WT race) and attract a real naming sponsor to take over the short term position of Jayco.  If they start 2013 with a longer term budget and a bit more cash then I think that the pressure will be on that year for results rather than this one.... (I know that was slightly gibberish but I am tired)
  • ReplyReply
  • About Masters Club racing:
    ".. if I can't double the petrol money, I'm headin over the mountains instead" - Michael Fox, Team SAS

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3394
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #122 on: March 15, 2012, 08:50 »
    yep totally agree Martin, I think they will have a longer term view than just this season ... or they should

being competitive in the classics, having a couple of GT stage wins, finishing high enough to guarantee not UCI issues and getting a long term sponsor would be a pretty good result for them for this season I would think.

They dont need to set the world on fire ...
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10741
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #123 on: March 15, 2012, 12:00 »
    What's going on with Allan Davis? I thought M-Sr was a race he was going to do, is he injured or just out of form and the 'edge have gone for a better option?

No idea seems very odd to me
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #124 on: March 15, 2012, 12:19 »
    Not odd, it's what defines his career

White, Stephens and Bannan will not tolerate it though, you think that he'd be on a one year deal, and if he doesn't perform he's out. At some stage this season I expect him to get it together and have a very good 2-3 months.
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    « Reply #125 on: March 15, 2012, 23:20 »
    Whitey just made some friends?

Since I last wrote you, we have notched our first European win with the team time trial victory in Tirreno-Adriatico and propelled Cameron Meyer to his first top-ten overall in a WorldTour stage race

• ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #126 on: March 16, 2012, 03:54 »
    Rofl
  • ReplyReply

• bicing

• I'm a bot.
    • Domestique
    • Liked: 148
    • Radioshack Nissan Trek owner
    • Awards: Funniest member 2012Best post 2012Best thread 2012
    « Reply #127 on: March 16, 2012, 07:55 »

Since I last wrote you, we have notched our first European win with the team time trial victory in Tirreno-Adriatico and propelled Cameron Meyer to his first top-ten overall in a WorldTour stage race
    And then after Saturday... GreenEdge's first time ever finishing in the first group in a MONUMENT
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycman: Sagan Greipel Brajkovic Breschel CA.Sorensen Porte Wegmann Sutton Zubeldia Fedrigo Lastras Roux Selig Morabito Dumoulin T.Meyer
    CQ game-breakers: Boom Ciolek DeGendt Steegmans Bertagnolli Blythe Masciarelli Stetina Boeckmans Vaugrenard

Arb

• Road Captain
    « Reply #128 on: March 16, 2012, 09:20 »
    Whoosh :D
  • ReplyReply

• Dr. Horrible the Mad Elephant Man

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 63
    « Reply #129 on: March 16, 2012, 12:53 »

But Meyer has already won a World Tour event
  • ReplyReply
  • BMC and Cadel Evans fan
    I have chosen not to be able to receive private messages except from administrators.

bicing

• I'm a bot.
    • Domestique
    « Reply #130 on: March 16, 2012, 14:23 »
    Whoosh :D
    I went off to learn how to read, now I'm back.
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    « Reply #131 on: March 16, 2012, 14:59 »
    I went off to learn how to read, now I'm back.

I guess I probably should have bolded the "his".
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #132 on: March 16, 2012, 16:07 »
    But Meyer has already won a World Tour event

• ReplyReply

• Dekker_Tifosi

• Super Saiyan 3
    • Neo Pro
    • Liked: 3
    « Reply #133 on: March 16, 2012, 21:15 »
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 925
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #134 on: March 17, 2012, 16:17 »
    Well....
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3363
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #135 on: March 17, 2012, 16:34 »
    Meh
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10741
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #136 on: March 17, 2012, 16:46 »
    Official Greenedge has been a success this year
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #137 on: March 17, 2012, 16:52 »

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 17:27 by Tuart »

Gravel Rash

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 6
    « Reply #138 on: March 17, 2012, 17:20 »
    Meh

You can start putting sh*t on greenedge again when sky actually win a monument ;D
  • ReplyReply

• bicing

• I'm a bot.
    • Domestique
    « Reply #139 on: March 17, 2012, 21:44 »
    I guess I probably should have bolded the "his".
    Doubt it would have made a difference. I have redyed my hair back from blonde so I shouldn't have a problem anymore.

• ReplyReply

• bicing

• I'm a bot.
    • Domestique
    « Reply #140 on: March 17, 2012, 21:49 »
    Anyway to be honest while I'm ecstatic Green Edge have won a monument, I would only call the season a success when another rider apart from Gerrans wins a race for them. I don't mean to kill the excitement but all the wins have been from Gerrans and a TTT. It's all a bit too individual so far... 1 or 2 more riders need to rack up wins (looking at Goss, Durbridge... that's all I got...) and all will be good.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3394
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #141 on: March 18, 2012, 01:26 »
    meh - all BMC's wins last season came from cuddles ... and their season was still a success

I think Greenedge will be pretty happy when they look back at this season now.  Even if they get nothing else all year, is better than they could have expected.

Tuart -  :win for you.  *insert shake hands emoticon here*
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #142 on: March 18, 2012, 02:00 »
    You can start putting sh*t on greenedge again when sky actually win a monument ;D

am I allowed to start a thread in the clinic about how Gerrans was rubbish for two years and then suddenly...

Oh, thats the other place.

Seriously. gerrans never fitted in at Sky, never had the face to fit with the in crowd, and never got the opportunities. then again, he never showed the consistent form to show that he was worth having the opportunities. Just goes to show what   a fresh start will do for someone.,

Think Mr Brailsford will be having a fairly serious wtf moment.

That said, I think there will be a lot of people having a "Simon Gerrans has won a momenent.. wtf" moment today. Que sera.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 02:13 by Dim »

Dr. Horrible the Mad Elephant Man

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 63
    « Reply #143 on: March 18, 2012, 02:50 »
    am I allowed to start a thread in the clinic about how Gerrans was rubbish for two years and then suddenly...

Seriously. gerrans never fitted in at Sky, never had the face to fit with the in crowd, and never got the opportunities. then again, he never showed the consistent form to show that he was worth having the opportunities. Just goes to show what   a fresh start will do for someone.,

That said, I think there will be a lot of people having a "Simon Gerrans has won a momenent.. wtf" moment today. Que sera.

Wasn't Gerrans injured for alot of 2010?
    In 2011 he won the Tour of Denmark and was 3rd at Amstel Gold so while not his best season it was not completely bare.
    Gerrans was given a role in GE's tactics for this race and he was able to do it to perfection but he was not the strongest in the race. He has said that himself but the tactics worked and he grabbed his opportunity. There have been 5 surprise winners out of the last 6 monuments, Gerrans is just the latest and probably not the most surprising of the 5.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #144 on: March 18, 2012, 03:27 »
    meh - all BMC's wins last season came from cuddles ... and their season was still a success

I think Greenedge will be pretty happy when they look back at this season now.  Even if they get nothing else all year, is better than they could have expected.

Tuart -  :win for you.  *insert shake hands emoticon here*

Nah, joking meme posts aside, I'm more happy that an Aussie won than the fact GE won. Just thought the early knocking of the team was unwarranted.
  • ReplyReply

• Auscyclefan

• Future PM of Australia
    • Domestique
    • Liked: 36
    • Feel my wrath
    « Reply #145 on: March 18, 2012, 03:31 »

:o
    Never fitted in? You told me numerous times he was apart of some sort of clique at sky? I think you may be having some sour grapes Dim! Anyway, you are sounding more and more like Politician flip-flopping on an opinion of an issues.
  • ReplyReply
  • - Australia's greatest sporting moment

Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #146 on: March 18, 2012, 03:44 »
    In 2011 he won the Tour of Denmark and was 3rd at Amstel Gold so while not his best season it was not completely bare.
    Gerrans was given a role in GE's tactics for this race and he was able to do it to perfection but he was not the strongest in the race. He has said that himself but the tactics worked and he grabbed his opportunity. There have been 5 surprise winners out of the last 6 monuments, Gerrans is just the latest and probably not the most surprising of the 5.

Your last sentence is interesting. I take it you're counting Goss in that? I'd rank them Zaugg, Gerrans, Van Summeren, Goss, Nuyens. If SG had won LBL, he'd be ranked more to the right but the fact its MSR means its quite surprising.
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    « Reply #147 on: March 18, 2012, 03:52 »

He was also immensely strong at Plouay. It was too late for him and Sky though. GE gave Gerrans the opportunity to lead for them and win the nationals and TDU, because of their roster they need Gerrans as a leader, maybe it's what he needed to take his game to the next level.
  • ReplyReply

• Gravel Rash

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 6
    « Reply #148 on: March 18, 2012, 09:24 »

C'mon Dim I am only stirring , You have done a lot of stirring regarding Greenedge so surely we have a right to return serve when we get one up on Sky
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #149 on: March 18, 2012, 14:15 »
    :o
    Never fitted in? You told me numerous times he was apart of some sort of clique at sky? I think you may be having some sour grapes Dim! Anyway, you are sounding more and more like Politician flip-flopping on an opinion of an issues.

No sour grapes, I was critisising sky as much as anything. Sky are all about numbers and power tests and assessing riders ability yet failed to spot what Gerrans could do. Gerrans was a fit early on, as a domestique but as soon (as like other riders) the rumbles started about not getting chances etc, then he quickly fell out of favour. Amstel aside he spent a lot of his time at sky in second squads.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Slag om Norg by DJW
    [June 28, 2017, 22:36]

Re: Slag om Norg by Echoes
    [June 28, 2017, 21:41]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by t-72
    [June 28, 2017, 21:15]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by LukasCPH
    [June 28, 2017, 21:04]

Re: Stagiaires 2017 by Leadbelly