collapse

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
  • Classics Winner
  • Liked: 359
Re: Green Edge
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2012, 09:45 »
Thanks, hadn't been in the buddy list section before.

@Dave I think they have 3 years to find a sponsor I'm not really worried about them getting one now. If they can't find a sponsor by then, yeah a bit of a fail but not so at the moment, when GR is happy to foot the bill for 72 months.

2 years i think, the 3 years caravan money included the set up costs last year i believe. But yeah they should be able to find something but worried that they have not so far and if they do not keep the wins going it is only going to harder. With all things cycling may well depend on their profile at the tour.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3363
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #61 on: February 18, 2012, 12:33 »
    Jerry Ryan is only commited to funding till the end of next year, 2013
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10760
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #62 on: February 18, 2012, 12:36 »
    Jerry Ryan is only commited to funding till the end of next year, 2013

which is the 3 years

2011 set-up costs

2012 season costs

2013 season costs

by the by the 2nd stage race in China will help Greenedge get a sponsor it seems Chinese were are interested and now with the 2nd race should help imo
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #63 on: February 18, 2012, 13:52 »
    They actually have a decent team for Haut Var, maybe Gerrans has eased up after the summer but Albasini and Clarke should hopefully improve from Med.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 380
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    « Reply #65 on: February 19, 2012, 23:47 »
    That's why I stay out of Cycling Central. It seems to have it's own little alternate reality there, kinda like the Clinic in that other forum.

Everytime I go to CC I seem to get banned :p
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #66 on: February 19, 2012, 23:51 »
    That's why I stay out of Cycling Central. It seems to have it's own little alternate reality there, kinda like the Clinic in that other forum.

did not know that was possible.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #67 on: February 20, 2012, 00:48 »

• ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 380
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    « Reply #68 on: February 20, 2012, 02:29 »
    Try posting some comments in the articles that don't go with the flow. It's possible....
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 162
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    « Reply #69 on: February 20, 2012, 02:48 »
    Just sick of these puff pieces  ::)

To be fair though that is a bit out of the team's control.  It is just the sycophantic nature of the SBS cycling  journos.  They grew up being fully exposed to the Phil and Paul show after all.
  • ReplyReply
  • About Masters Club racing:
    ".. if I can't double the petrol money, I'm headin over the mountains instead" - Michael Fox, Team SAS

Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #70 on: February 20, 2012, 03:31 »
    Shows how many people have read it, or what their pre-concieved views are on GE. I was being completely sarcastic, as evidenced by the smiley. It is not a puff piece on GE its an article highlight their complete lack of wins in Oman.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3465
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #71 on: February 20, 2012, 03:37 »
    nah it just shows that nobody else wants to read stupid puff peices about them either  ;D
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #72 on: February 20, 2012, 03:52 »
    Shows how many people have read it, or what their pre-concieved views are on GE. I was being completely sarcastic, as evidenced by the smiley. It is not a puff piece on GE its an article highlight their complete lack of wins in Oman.

I read it and thought, bit harsh to call that a puff piece. so yes joke went shooting straight over my head

The only thing i thought when reading it was point i made before. phrase like 'stamp their authority on the race'

this is the Australian attitude, even when they have done very little they can be very optimistic about what is still to come. In the UK press article would use language like, have final stage to take something from a poor showing. the language is subtly different but important.

while it can be frustrating / amusing to others i still think that attitude is responsible for a lot of Australia's sporting success

The one that summed it up for me was watching a long distance athletics track race at something like the commonwealth games. The Australian woman was running maybe 12th and long long way off the lead. 3/4 of the way through the race the commentator was saying, well she is going to have to make her move soon to qualify. no negativity and no discussing the failure of Australian athletes against their African counter parts, just strange sense that she still hand a chance despite the overwhelming evidence against it. she finished about 12th, well outside of qualifying and had actually run a personal best so really had no chance to make it.

labouring the point slightly as struggling to explain myself without sounding negative. Overwhelming self belief in all circumstances i guess.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3465
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #73 on: February 20, 2012, 04:02 »
    careful Dave ... that sounded almost like a compliment towards Aussies  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #74 on: February 20, 2012, 04:59 »
    I read it and thought, bit harsh to call that a puff piece. so yes joke went shooting straight over my head

The only thing i thought when reading it was point i made before. phrase like 'stamp their authority on the race'

this is the Australian attitude, even when they have done very little they can be very optimistic about what is still to come. In the UK press article would use language like, have final stage to take something from a poor showing. the language is subtly different but important.

while it can be frustrating / amusing to others i still think that attitude is responsible for a lot of Australia's sporting success

The one that summed it up for me was watching a long distance athletics track race at something like the commonwealth games. The Australian woman was running maybe 12th and long long way off the lead. 3/4 of the way through the race the commentator was saying, well she is going to have to make her move soon to qualify. no negativity and no discussing the failure of Australian athletes against their African counter parts, just strange sense that she still hand a chance despite the overwhelming evidence against it. she finished about 12th, well outside of qualifying and had actually run a personal best so really had no chance to make it.

labouring the point slightly as struggling to explain myself without sounding negative. Overwhelming self belief in all circumstances i guess.

Yeah point I was really trying to make is that there really isn't that much media "hype". The cycling media, particularly CC, will focus on GE now because hey, its an Aussie registered team but the article shows, why not overtly negative, they're not afraid to write something which does draw attention to the fact GE may have been a bit quieter in February then they'd have liked.

Thanks for the compliment btw :D
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #75 on: February 26, 2012, 22:51 »
    Have gREENedge left Australia yet?

Have to think this was a disappointing weekend for them.

according to report on their website they had some bad luck with crashes on saturday at crucial moments but i think they would have wanted to make some sort of impression on races like these.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

brassyn

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 28
    • Just a fan. Also, not a man.
      • FYC
    « Reply #77 on: February 28, 2012, 22:34 »
    Have to think this was a disappointing weekend for them.

according to report on their website they had some bad luck with crashes on saturday at crucial moments but i think they would have wanted to make some sort of impression on races like these.

I agree, they were quite anonymous.  Not a huge amount of bustle about them at the race starts either, not that that is necessarily indicative of anything.  Best finisher at Omloop was Tomas Vaitkus in 56th.  What happened to Langeveld?  Better showing at KBK with Kruopis in 12th but outplaced by riders from Spidertech and AccentJobs.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #78 on: February 28, 2012, 22:41 »
    I agree, they were quite anonymous.  Not a huge amount of bustle about them at the race starts either, not that that is necessarily indicative of anything.  Best finisher at Omloop was Tomas Vaitkus in 56th.  What happened to Langeveld?  Better showing at KBK with Kruopis in 12th but outplaced by riders from Spidertech and AccentJobs.

Langeveld was one of their crashes i think
  • ReplyReply

• Francois the Postman

• Domestique
    • Liked: 785
    « Reply #79 on: February 28, 2012, 23:47 »
    Aye, just before that idiot waved to the camera, they zoomed back to a crash in the peloton. Langeveld was just climbing back on his bike, but it didn't look like he got caught too badly (certainly not compared to Velits and another rider who were not getting up).

He joined a small group of other crash-vistims and drop-outs, not your best companions to get stuck with, at the bottom of the Eikenberg, with the peloton already on the other side of it. So must have happened with 55k to go, or something close to it.

Things looked up a bit, when Gilbert also got into trouble, and also got stuck in the "Langeveld" group. By the time they rejoined the peloton, the group of 10 had already formed, so they both missed the crucial split.
  • ReplyReply

• mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 921
    « Reply #80 on: March 01, 2012, 19:39 »
    Erm,

cyclingfever has Davis down to ride Milan San Remo.  that doesnt surprise me, with Goss not showing any form yet, as Davis has the pedigree for a such a race.  What I cant work out is how he can try to be in good form without riding P-N or T-A.  Has his star fallen so far that he isnt even going to be a back up to an underperforming Goss?

Maybe Goss will show great form at T-A and subsequently do well at MSR and the point will be moot.
  • ReplyReply
  • Youth CQ Game originator.

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #81 on: March 01, 2012, 19:41 »
    Erm,

cyclingfever has Davis down to ride Milan San Remo.  that doesnt surprise me, with Goss not showing any form yet, as Davis has the pedigree for a such a race.  What I cant work out is how he can try to be in good form without riding P-N or T-A.  Has his star fallen so far that he isnt even going to be a back up to an underperforming Goss?

Maybe Goss will show great form at T-A and subsequently do well at MSR and the point will be moot.

Davis had MSR as his number 1 goal in Jan so no idea why he is not racing

Greenedge seem to be doing strange things at the moment
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #82 on: March 02, 2012, 07:47 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/paris-nice-tirreno-adriatico-crucial-for-greenedge

Rates the season as a 7/10 so far...  Feel that's a little generous, and if they screw up over the next few weeks up to MSR, then that 7 will be heading downhill very quickly.
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #83 on: March 02, 2012, 09:53 »
    re Davis

using my memory which maybe wrong at the end of 2010 when he finished 3rd in the WC and won the RR at the Comm games - Astana had not raced him from tour of Turkey ( ? ) his best mate now boss went for a long walk with him behind his house in Spain - gave him a kick in the ass and they set about a training without racing program set around these 2 events

maybe and it is a big maybe they have worked out that Davis needs training rather than racing to peak for events ( nothing devious implied ) ?

• ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 848
    « Reply #84 on: March 02, 2012, 10:05 »
    Allan Davis just ain't fast enough, and that's all there is to it. He's never been fast enough.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #85 on: March 02, 2012, 10:07 »
    Allan Davis just ain't fast enough, and that's all there is to it. He's never been fast enough.

in an out and out sprint I agree but after 230 ish km at the end of MSR ?  Probably not .....but
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 848
    « Reply #86 on: March 02, 2012, 10:16 »
    in an out and out sprint I agree but after 230 ish km at the end of MSR ?  Probably not .....but
    Past two years he has finished 126th and 146th at M-SR.

Last year he didn't win a single race.

The year before his only win was the Commonwealth Games.

The year before THAT his only wins were at the Tour Down Under.

Allan Davis is AT BEST a third rate sprinter.

[edit] This makes it sound like I have some personal vendetta against the guy, which I don't. I'm just baffled that people still expect him to win anything at all, let alone a monument.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #87 on: March 02, 2012, 10:19 »
    Past two years he has finished 126th and 146th at M-SR.

Last year he didn't win a single race.

The year before his only win was the Commonwealth Games.

The year before THAT his only wins were at the Tour Down Under.

Allan Davis is AT BEST a third rate sprinter.

you missed 3rd in the WC which was after a very hard race - I am not saying he is a sprinter - but a poor mans Matti Brechel - good from a small group if he is not overweight - clearly not the same classics rider
  • ReplyReply

• bicing

• I'm a bot.
    • Domestique
    • Liked: 148
    • Radioshack Nissan Trek owner
    • Awards: Funniest member 2012Best post 2012Best thread 2012
    « Reply #88 on: March 02, 2012, 10:26 »
    Read the article and I'm taking a more optimistic view.

How many WT races have there been so far this year? 1
    What did GE do there? Won the overall.

While they definitely leave a lot to be resired in the grander scheme of things, they have achieved the results in the WT. WT is the big deal now given the UCI's sporting critoerin rools and from the 1 race so far they've delovered.

They're fine until PA and TN.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycman: Sagan Greipel Brajkovic Breschel CA.Sorensen Porte Wegmann Sutton Zubeldia Fedrigo Lastras Roux Selig Morabito Dumoulin T.Meyer
    CQ game-breakers: Boom Ciolek DeGendt Steegmans Bertagnolli Blythe Masciarelli Stetina Boeckmans Vaugrenard

Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #89 on: March 02, 2012, 14:29 »
    They've finally done something which eluded them in January... winning a crit.
  • ReplyReply

•