collapse

Arb

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 518
Re: Green Edge
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2012, 14:32 »
you missed 3rd in the WC which was after a very hard race - I am not saying he is a sprinter - but a poor mans Matti Brechel - good from a small group if he is not overweight - clearly not the same classics rider

What about finishing in the top50 on the MTFs of the 2010 Vuelta? On form he's ideally suited to a hard worlds or M-SR ending in a sprint of 20. Sadly he's only on form once every couple of years. His "sprinting" is rubbish and on its own isn't going to win him anything.
  • ReplyReply

• bicing

• I'm a bot.
    • Domestique
    • Liked: 148
    • Radioshack Nissan Trek owner
    • Awards: Funniest member 2012Best post 2012Best thread 2012
    « Reply #91 on: March 06, 2012, 12:38 »
    Gotta say, people are taking the GreenEdge jokes pretty seriously. Check the Paris Nice thread for one particular meltdown.

I'd just like to say that I think most people are doing it for fun, and don't really mean what they say about bashing GreenEdge for being absent from races. It's just really, really fun to do. It cannot be explained but they seem to attract teasing.

• ReplyReply
  • Cycman: Sagan Greipel Brajkovic Breschel CA.Sorensen Porte Wegmann Sutton Zubeldia Fedrigo Lastras Roux Selig Morabito Dumoulin T.Meyer
    CQ game-breakers: Boom Ciolek DeGendt Steegmans Bertagnolli Blythe Masciarelli Stetina Boeckmans Vaugrenard

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #92 on: March 06, 2012, 21:50 »
    Gerro got close again. Looks on good form but worry he cannot carry it through to the Ardennes classics which must be his number one aim for the season.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #93 on: March 07, 2012, 08:28 »
    Gotta say, people are taking the GreenEdge jokes pretty seriously. Check the Paris Nice thread for one particular meltdown.

I'd just like to say that I think most people are doing it for fun, and don't really mean what they say about bashing GreenEdge for being absent from races. It's just really, really fun to do. It cannot be explained but they seem to attract teasing.

Oh look, another tool in the passive-aggressive arsenal - the "people" generalisation when they mean a specific person. Please, I'm a big boy now, I can handle someone singling me out for criticism. I welcome the discussion. :D

As for the "I was only joking" line, hadn't heard that since school, long, long time ago.

It's all very well and good saying "its a joke" for everything but a lot of it, especially without emoticons, doesn't come out as such. There's two points of interest with "jokes" as well:

1) There's always an element of truth to them. Now this truism is in the eye of the beholder so (generall) it may not even be actually true but it doesn't hide the fact that there's some truth behind why someone says that joke. In this case its because they believe GE to be crap.

2) Sometimes, if a joke is repeated often, it gets taken for truth, or becomes a stereotype. This isn't always the case but I believe its a trap people are starting to fall into. If people keep seeing the "joke" keep using the "joke" they'll just start taking it for granted as fact and then have that as the basis for their opinion. It happens all the time in real life and I think it happens a lot over at CN.

I really don't mind the jokes (believe it or not) but I think people are starting to cross the line. I mean nicknames are fine, you'll never hear me moaning if someone starts calling them a bunch of Limes, BluntEgde, whatever etc,  but when people's first reaction is to ridicule or highlight a particular teams actions where they can do no right, that's what draws my ire. Then people start getting the wrong idea, get facts wrong or start having serious prejudice against a team for no good reason at all.

Just my 2c...
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

bicing

• I'm a bot.
    • Domestique
    « Reply #94 on: March 07, 2012, 08:35 »
    I was really, really impressed with Gerrans' sprint, I'm sure he will win an Ardennes Classic.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #95 on: March 07, 2012, 09:36 »
    Saw somewhere that tonights TTT was one of their early season targets and looking at the team they have a chance. Garmin may be too string but interested to see how they go.

Gerrans will get his sprint right soon. Too early in TDU, too late last night, lets hope he gets it Just right for a big one.
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 756
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #96 on: March 07, 2012, 09:49 »
    Its been a good start to the season in the main for them.

I know people will say they should have won more, but being a brand new team is hard, especially from a non-heartland country.

Interesting to see people saying Gerrans could win a classic. I don't see it myself but it will be interesting to watch and see how he goes.
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #97 on: March 07, 2012, 21:57 »
    Saw somewhere that tonights TTT was one of their early season targets and looking at the team they have a chance. Garmin may be too string but interested to see how they go.

Gerrans will get his sprint right soon. Too early in TDU, too late last night, lets hope he gets it Just right for a big one.

Well done Dinz you spotted that one.

Congrats Tuarts, great result. Although cycling gives with one hand and takes away with the other (Gerrans crash, although looking at the final sprint not sure it was hard enough for him to win)

Only watched very limited coverage of the TTT as was short on time this morning but looked like they really creamed them.
  • ReplyReply

• Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 162
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    « Reply #98 on: March 07, 2012, 22:00 »
    So, on to the discussion of the TTT win and what that means for the team.  Particularly interesting is the size of the gap on such a short circuit.  Personally, I was pretty impressed with how well they rode as a team. 
  • ReplyReply
  • About Masters Club racing:
    ".. if I can't double the petrol money, I'm headin over the mountains instead" - Michael Fox, Team SAS

Gravel Rash

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 6
    « Reply #99 on: March 07, 2012, 22:18 »
    Great to get the monkey off their back in Europe , Good ride and hopefully onwards and upwards from here.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3504
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #100 on: March 08, 2012, 00:28 »
    well done to GE.    Takes the pressure off a fair bit.

Hopefully for them Goss can win a stage or 2 as well and really set things moving for them
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #101 on: March 08, 2012, 02:11 »
    Tuart, I know some of that was aimed at me. So I'll leave the 'Edge crap behind, unless of course they have 6 guys in a 7 man break and screw it up! I'll just say I don't care that the team comes from Australia or if it came from Canada or the USA. My issue with the team is I don't think they're WT worthy, but I'll add they're not the only team(s) in my opinion, hello Saxobank! who aren't worth WT status.

Just one final thing, is it because 'Edge are from Australia? Would you be as passionate in your defense if the team came from New Zealand/South Africa/somewhere else and people were talking 'smack' about them?

So what's the specific problem (I'll avoid the 'h' word, I asked a similar question before and that didn't end well :D) with GE? That you don't think they deserve WT status on merit or because you don't like the way the UCI hand out the licenses to team?

I think in the first instance they've shown that they have the team and support that are more than capable of competing. They've (to some extent or another) have figured in three out three World Tour races so far. So they're hardly out of their depth or doing anything wrong there. On the last aspect, if you are against the UCI and the way they proceed with things is that really fair to then beat on GreenEdge because of it? The team did everything right and correct, according to all the UCI requirements, to be a WT team. I don't see where anyone can fault them to that respect. Also, its not like most of the team have come from nowhere. All the riders bar the two neos and Tekkles rode in the European peloton at some stage last year, their DS' and support staff have come from the pro peloton so again, not like anything is from scratch. The only thing that is new and isn't "recycled" is the "sponsor" - Gerry Ryan yet I don't think that is any different to a new sponsor coming from elsewhere to take over a team.

I can't say exactly what I'd do in in a hypothetical situation (no one can) but if I was around the fora in '09 with the Sky stuff, I'd like to think I'd have mentioned something then too. That or I'd just ignore it like I do with most stuff on that forum...but this place isn't there. To be honest my opinion on the vitriol aimed towards RaNT is similar, just they aren't exactly easy to defend but hey, one battle at a time. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #102 on: March 08, 2012, 02:13 »
    Well done Dinz you spotted that one.

Congrats Tuarts, great result. Although cycling gives with one hand and takes away with the other (Gerrans crash, although looking at the final sprint not sure it was hard enough for him to win)

Only watched very limited coverage of the TTT as was short on time this morning but looked like they really creamed them.

Why should I be congratulated, I slept through it all, not like I rode with them. :D
  • ReplyReply

• Gravel Rash

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #103 on: March 08, 2012, 05:47 »
           Greenedge Backstage Pass
  • ReplyReply

• Gravel Rash

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #104 on: March 08, 2012, 09:10 »
    Here are Greenedges previous backstage passes
  • ReplyReply

• Gravel Rash

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #105 on: March 08, 2012, 09:12 »
  • ReplyReply

• Gravel Rash

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #106 on: March 08, 2012, 09:12 »
  • ReplyReply

• Gravel Rash

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #107 on: March 08, 2012, 09:13 »
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    « Reply #108 on: March 08, 2012, 13:52 »
           Greenedge Backstage Pass

Nice video, just don't read the comments on YT.

The Omloop one is pretty interesting, seeing how they communicate without radios.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #109 on: March 08, 2012, 22:07 »

The Omloop one is pretty interesting, seeing how they communicate without radios.

why did you say that. obviously first thing i do is go back and read the comments...
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #110 on: March 09, 2012, 06:37 »

You don't <3 Matt White 4 eva? :o
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 949
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #111 on: March 09, 2012, 06:49 »
    The seat belt comment make me chuckle. Noice video nonetheless.
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 849
    « Reply #112 on: March 09, 2012, 09:37 »
    why did you say that. obviously first thing i do is go back and read the comments...

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hbeblcelbmadebneggicbpkjhlppjoen
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    « Reply #113 on: March 09, 2012, 13:32 »
    You don't <3 Matt White 4 eva? :o
    Yeh that fornicating Whitey mate goes ok aye.

He knows what he's talking about but that doesn't make him likeable.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #114 on: March 10, 2012, 14:01 »
    Yeh that fornicating Whitey mate goes ok aye.

He knows what he's talking about but that doesn't make him likeable.

Yep, definitely no saint!
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10824
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    « Reply #116 on: March 13, 2012, 21:04 »
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #117 on: March 14, 2012, 02:36 »
    Well, hopefully after being present in P-N and T-A somewhat it should dispel some of the murmurings that they don't belong at WT level...
  • ReplyReply

• bicing

• I'm a bot.
    • Domestique
    « Reply #118 on: March 14, 2012, 13:28 »
    Nah those murmurings will never leave  :P

Tuart out of general interest, what would you see as a successful (WT)season for the 'Edge?
    Good question.

IMHO:
    Aussie Championship
    Tour Down Under Stage
    Tour Down Under Overall
    Cobbled Classic Podium
    Ardennes Classic Podium
    Giro d'Italia Stage: 1 sprint, 1 breakaway
    Tour de France Stage
    Vuelta Espana Stage: 1 sprint, 1 breakaway
    A total of 15-20 wins
  • ReplyReply